• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skullface

What? That it didn't happen!? :D

Duh! It would only make sense that would happen :^]

Seriously though, that's silly as hell.

Edit: Anyone else LTTP with Titanfall? I picked it up, add ons and all for $30. I have to say, it's fun as fuck. I also just realized that minions are bots. I thought I was just excellent at the game, but I'm usually killing like 30 bots and 2-3 pilots.

Edit 2: Chakra, were you drunk last night? ;^}

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Who the fuck is responsible for that?

Why can't the logo be on the bottom like with the japanese version?

soft_ps4.jpg

day1edition_ps4.jpg

Sn4ke_911

Well, some text and logos might not be there...

Sure but they probably won't change the position of the logo for NA and EU.

I don't want Snake's head covered with the logo arggh... ah well whatever just give me the game.

Well, some text and logos might not be there...

But I think the text went at the top because the ESRB logo is huge and would mean the title going across his mouth or something.

Because of the massive ESRB logo shitting up the cover like always. Look how ridiculously huge it is.

That's really no excuse. They could make Snake's head smaller or move it up a little bit etc. I'm pretty sure there is a marketing strategy behind it, still it annoys me a bit.

Is it canon that Liquid Snake's corpse was buried in Solid Snake's grave for years with an arm missing, later exhumed for DNA testing, and finally used to replace 'missing parts' on Big Boss's body? You'd think they'd be able to breed new spare parts for him in that time instead of using a rotten corpse.

Skullface

Is it canon that Liquid Snake's corpse was buried in Solid Snake's grave for years with an arm missing, later exhumed for DNA testing, and finally used to replace 'missing parts' on Big Boss's body? You'd think they'd be able to breed new spare parts for him in that time instead of using a rotten corpse.

I think they used Solidus for spare parts. Liquid was used to fake Snake's death.

I think they used Solidus for spare parts. Liquid was used to fake Snake's death.

"EVA stole my body from them and reconstructed it by replacing the missing parts with pieces from Liquid and Solidus."

Then again, how he has so much in depth knowledge of the shit that went on during his coma is a mystery.

I think it could easily happen in the final phonecall if that's what he wanted.

The real clones died at birth so they covered it up with stolen babies and dna samples or something, nobody ever learns the truth and the series goes on as normal.

Been thinking about this. Got a feeling we won't be seeing gray fox in tpp. Why? Because ocelot is in it. That's why. Though,given the franchises convoluted nature, I realize it wouldn't be beyond kojima to make characters cross paths at different points in the timeline but I doubt he'll do it here. having ocelot and fox working in the same outfit would just be odd. Unless kojima is trying to intertwine their fates in a new light now that we're at this point in the timeline. Cruz we all know a missing arm is the end result here.

Wait, how does Ocelot being in the game somehow preclude Gray Fox from appearing? Ocelot even says to him in MGS1 "You! But you died!!!" indicating that they've crossed paths before. And Ocelot and Gray Fox having worked in the same outfit actually makes sense because we know they were both Big Boss loyalists at some point.

Just because he cut Ocelot's arm off doesn't mean they can't have worked together in the past, it's even a recurring theme in MGS of former allies becoming enemies and vice versa being dictated by the "times" they live in. Then there's the fact Ocelot actually said to Solid Snake during the torture that "I fought wars in Afghanistan, Mozambique, Eritrea, and Chad. Among the Mujahadin Guerillas, I was known and feared as 'Shalashaska'." We know Mozambique was where Big Boss reunited with Gray Fox again and we can presume from TPP that Ocelot was with him.

Also, I'd rather not even acknowledge this but it can't be helped... I could have sworn there was some business in MGS4 where it was mentioned that Ocelot & Eva actually orchestrated Gray Fox going rogue and killing Dr. Clark and his appearance on Shadow Moses? So there's that as well. I really dislike that retcon.

All that said I'm not holding my breath for his return anymore for different reasons.

I think it could easily happen in the final phonecall if that's what he wanted.

now that Skullface mentions it...it would pretty much destroy the whole canon of MGS..especially Snake's aging in MGS 4 and all kinds of other things...

plus GZ mentions it in the credits

I guess there are things that Kojima can retcon in MGS, but there are certain plot points that if he does change it, it would ruin everything,and i assume LET is one of those plot points

Skullface

now that Skullface mentions it...it would pretty much destroy the whole canon of MGS..especially Snake's aging in MGS 4 and all kinds of other things...

plus GZ mentions it in the credits

I guess there are things that Kojima can retcon in MGS, but there are certain plot points that if he does change it, it would ruin everything,and i assume LET is one of those plot points

Kojima could do it and maintain some of the canon, like the clones being of Miller, but I'd be fucking pissed. lol of course, then they're still clones.

Absolutely. There's some things Kojima just can't retcon unless he wanted to create some kind of divergent timeline with TPP and LET is one of those things... it's also why in discussions of how TPP will end people keep bringing up the question of Big Boss's return to the United States and becoming Solid Snake's CO in FOXHOUND without assuming it will just be retconned. That's a tricky thing that Kojima will have to resolve if he wants to show Big Boss become a villain but also bring things full circle and add Solid Snake into the mix, as that's at the center of the relationship between those two characters and is brought up again as recently as the climax to MGS4.

I think the mistake some people make when suggesting what could be retconned is they believe just because a plot detail was introduced in an ancient game like the MSX games or MGS1, that means it is minor enough to only create continuity errors with those old games specifically which are "out of date". It's kind of like Liquid saying that Big Boss was in his late fifties when they created his copies, that is a small detail that has been easily ignored since they decided to make Big Boss younger in MGS3. But something like Les Enfant Terribles in it's entirety is too much, there is a domino effect where you're gonna end up contradicting even the modern "up to date" games like MGS4 like what you mentioned with Old Snake's aging which would be a major plot point rendered illogical.

The whole aim of retconning should be to modernize the canon in some way and make things fit better than they already do... if you're gonna create a retcon that invalidates a major plot point in the series that creates problems in a game as recent as MGS4 that is a pretty big failure imho. You might as well call the game a reboot.

Sn4ke_911

Is it possible Kojima demanded his own name be taken off as a reaction to Kojima Productions being absorbed back into Konami?

I'd say this is very unlikely since Kojima wants to put his name everywhere he can. Rightfully so because he IS the mastermind behind everything.

About Frank Jaeger I'm pretty sure he is in TPP.

Liquid was frozen and Snake stole it as a cover up. The Patriots believed it was Solid. Or they just knew who it was and told Raiden is was Solid anyway.
Then again, how he has so much in depth knowledge of the shit that went on during his coma is a mystery.
Naomi told him everything.
Kojima said before that he regretted making Snake a clone...
He didn't say this.
Also, I'd rather not even acknowledge this but it can't be helped... I could have sworn there was some business in MGS4 where it was mentioned that Ocelot & Eva actually orchestrated Gray Fox going rogue and killing Dr. Clark and his appearance on Shadow Moses? So there's that as well. I really dislike that retcon.
It was always Gray Fox who killed Dr. Clark.
it's also why in discussions of how TPP will end people keep bringing up the question of Big Boss's return to the United States and becoming Solid Snake's CO in FOXHOUND without assuming it will just be retconned.
It doesn't need to be retconned at all.

Skullface

This brings up an important topic

What is everyone's plans for the the day the comes out? What are your food plans and drink plans? I think I'll have some bourbon and some craft beers maybe.

I don't do this much, but I might smoke some weed. My food plans have already been set. This is going to sound weird, but there's this Chinese restaurant up the street from where I live that has the best damn sushi bar I've ever been to. They have incredible specialty maki, and the sashimi tastes better than anything from your average Korean owned Japanese restaurant.

So for food, they have this incredible sashimi dish where layed out on baby spinach leaves and soaked in this salad dressing I can't quite identify. Then there's this specialty maki with scallops, tuna and salmon. The salmon is on the outside of the roll, and they take a blowtorch and sear it. It's fucking incredible, and all bite sized so it's easy eats without making my control greasy like with pizza.

Definitely agree with you about the gameplay...it's drastically improved, and is essentially just a natural progression from the MGS1 gameplay. It's pretty hard to try and argue that fact - but I do still think gameplay scenario wise MGS1 definitely has some more interesting boss fights.

What was it about the story that you found so much better? I had a hard time caring as much, even though the story was more nuanced because I didn't find the characters themselves to be nearly as

The whole post modern approach to the story and how it encorporates player expectations and agency is amazing, seeing Snake from an outside viewpoint makes him even cooler, Raiden is endearingly goofy, and Solidus is a way better antagonist than Liquid.

I don't do this much, but I might smoke some weed. My food plans have already been set. This is going to sound weird, but there's this Chinese restaurant up the street from where I live that has the best damn sushi bar I've ever been to. They have incredible specialty maki, and the sashimi tastes better than anything from your average Korean owned Japanese restaurant.

So for food, they have this incredible sashimi dish where layed out on baby spinach leaves and soaked in this salad dressing I can't quite identify. Then there's this specialty maki with scallops, tuna and salmon. The salmon is on the outside of the roll, and they take a blowtorch and sear it. It's fucking incredible, and all bite sized so it's easy eats without making my control greasy like with pizza.
Man. That sounds damn good!

Skullface

Man. That sounds damn good!

Believe me, it is. It's usually what I treat myself to on payday. That sashimi dish I mentioned is one of the most fantastic things I've ever tried. Unfortunately, they only sell it as an appetizer, 6 pieces for 10 bucks. It's a little steep, but so worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom