• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajang

image.php

b-acgv7caaa-rqk51sp6.jpg

Dawg

Kojima's ultimate vision and judgment over the series has made it a success, but the strong influence of one person (the creator, no less) can have its drawbacks. Kojima's stamp isn't without its flaws.

His love of film makes his cutscenes an important part of the overall work instead of being filler between gameplay, but their length and the games' reliance on them can bloat the experience. Awesome graphics will likely always be a calling card of the series, but the franchise could benefit from a smoother, more economical use of cutscenes.

Kojima's sense of humor has always shown through in Metal Gear, from the games themselves to their PR campaigns, but there have been times – like the joke the cardboard box has become – that it makes a farce of the gameplay. These kind of built-in, running gags have grown old, and there are other, less obnoxious ways to inject personality into the characters and world. Besides, some of the funniest moments in a game can't be pre-programmed, but must happen spontaneously by the actions of the gamers themselves.

Speaking of obnoxious things in the series, its over-the-top sexualization of female characters and other sexual elements also feel out of place and forced. Even if it's not a boss' outrageous costume, I don't understand what's served by shoving a bomb up Paz's vagina in Ground Zeroes other than applying a heavy hand to themes, exposing Kojima's juvenile mindset, or worse.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I agreed when I read the title of the opinion piece but when I saw some of the stuff in the piece... whew>.

More like hit piece.

It's quite complex tbh.

it's more complicated then say Resident Evil,Uncharted and alot of other game series, but i don't see it as something that make's it super hard to follow

Kingdom Hearts is something that seems much more complex lore wise than MGS

JayEH

Metal Gear isn't overly complex. When you get to little details it does get confusing but as radiohammer said KH is on another level with its shit.

I think the notion of Metal gear is complex is something that series has in its reputation ever since MGS2. It's something that can't be shaken off.

Rean

Metal Gear isn't overly complex. When you get to little details it does get confusing but as radiohammer said KH is on another level with its shit.

I think the notion of Metal gear is complex is something that series has in its reputation ever since MGS2. It's something that can't be shaken off.
As long as you pay attention to the story and cutscenes it isnt that complex.

And MGS2's overall plot isn't even that complex either, it's just hard to follow your first time around, because you're fed one lie after the other, and after a while you don't really know what's what anymore. For most people it probably takes about 2 or 3 playthroughs to focus on the important bits.

And then there's MGS4 which isn't overly complex but at a point doesn't really make sense anymore.

Kindekuma

Banned
Just got my best time in the GZ mission. 10:22. I think I spent too much time moving the bodies, I could easily have shaved down a few minutes.

First bold I agree that's dumb to complain about, the second and third are valid criticisms

Kojima pulled no punches when he said this game was going to be highly controversial...

He pretty much said that he might have to leave the industry after TPP releases.. exaggeration, maybe..but this game isn't going to be "safe" lets just say that

Banzai

Would you really like to have shortsighted enemies in an open world spawning around the corner to perform predefined search routines?

In GZ the regular guards perform seaches somewhat similar to the predefined ones back then anyway, so no.
What I want is for a guard to pick up a radio and tell CP when he spots me, instead of everyone and their mother suddenly knowing where I am. I mean the base even sounded its alarm throughout the map a tenth of a second after someone yelled "Intruder". The guy working the alarm button must be really attentive.

I saw that sony and konami announced the details of what is included in the Japanese ps4 limited edition.

The package will include:
The special red PS4 (500 GB) – CUHJ-10009
The gun metal DualShock 4 controller
A download code for a dedicated PS4 theme
The game (Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain plus Metal Gear Online).
An art book
A field map
a bonus blu-ray
Download code for the following DLC for the main game
Field camo (Black Ocelot)
Shotgun (Gold)
Personal Ballistic Shield (gold)
Cardboard Box (mountain camo)
Emblem parts (Venom Snake)
Download code for the following DLC for Metal Gear Online
WU S. Pistol (Gold)
AM MRS-4 (Gold)
XP Boost
Metal Gear REX Helmet

FourMyle

Will MGSV be a direct continuation from IV? I'd like to know if it will be possible to just jump into the story without knowing anything/very little about the previous games.

Will MGSV be a direct continuation from IV? I'd like to know if it will be possible to just jump into the story without knowing anything/very little about the previous games.

no..it will b e a direct continuation from Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes

the metal gear canon in chronological order, with what year the game takes place in

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (1964)

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (1970/canon in question?)

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (1974)

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (1974/1975)

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (1984)

Metal Gear (1995)

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (1999)

Metal Gear Solid (2005)

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (2007 tanker/2009 plant)

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots (2014)

Rajang

MGSV is a direct sequel to Peace Walker, it's pretty much Peace Walker II. There will be alot of returning characters from previous games and confrontations which you will not understand if you haven't played the older games. Kaz and BB's relationship will also be a big plot point.

If you want to get into the series I suggest buying The Legacy Collection and playing the games in order of release: 1,2,3,4, PW.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Not surprising but it looks like Kojima's name has been taken off the actual MGS V box art now. Though on the official site it still has his name on.

Before:

CCtiROVUUAA9pRX.jpg

After:

CCtiRSZVEAAHWs-.jpg

http://www.game.co.uk/en/metal-gear...name=hubMGSvPhantomPain-_-edition-_-dayonePS4

This feels different than before. Before they were just taking his name off of pictures on the internet. Now they're taking his name off of a product that I'm about to buy. I'm half tempted to find an email for Konami and say I'm not buying it unless his name is on there. One last game and they can't even give him that. It's sad.

brau

Thank goodness i am good with Photoshop. Or markers.

:( Sad to see this going on tho.

Tora? Any soothing words?

The day i don't do a doodle of one of Kojimas tweet, and it all goes downhill. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom