• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwy_61

Banned
All the scenes with that carpenters song playing in an elevator music manner...ugh they just pulled at the heart strings man.

Not surprising but it looks like Kojima's name has been taken off the actual MGS V box art now. Though on the official site it still has his name on.

Before:

CCtiROVUUAA9pRX.jpg

After:

CCtiRSZVEAAHWs-.jpg

http://www.game.co.uk/en/metal-gear...name=hubMGSvPhantomPain-_-edition-_-dayonePS4

What the fuck.

KorrZ

I just want to say that Peace Walker is by far the best written metal gear. I haven't played 4 yet, so I don't know how that'll compare. All the Boss/Snake scenes had me feeling a little misty.

I actually just started it myself tonight, and so far there are some little things that are pissing me off. Why can't I drag bodies? T_T or am I just missing it? I also think it's kind of silly how you hold people up and they just lay on the ground and stay there while you go deal with all their friends..lol

8 saves. Plus those fucking Tengus.

At first I was thinking the 8 saves didn't sound too bad since the game really isn't that long - especially if you cut out all the codec/cutscenes but is it that you need to load a save if you trigger an alert phase? I haven't kept track of alerts in my playthroughs but do they carry over if you die and start over from checkpoint?

hwy_61

Banned
I actually just started it myself tonight, and so far there are some little things that are pissing me off. Why can't I drag bodies? T_T or am I just missing it? I also think it's kind of silly how you hold people up and they just lay on the ground and stay there while you go deal with all their friends..lol

You're not recruiting them? Fulton those sons of bitches!

KorrZ

You're not recruiting them? Fulton those sons of bitches!

I did figure that one out! It's more just curious why these things are missing - you can't crawl on the ground or go into first person view either (again unless I'm just missing something obvious?)

It probably wouldn't be so weird if I hadn't played all 4 MGS games for the first time these past 2 months. It's been a steady curve of more and more features and movesets and now I'm finally having some taken away which is a bit frustrating.

Rajang

Remember that PW was developed for the shitty PSP hardware. It had a tiny memory pool and some mechanics had to be removed to make room for others.

It was still quite impressive what they did with the game. Even though it was released on a handheld Kojima really took that game seriously. It is one of the biggest MGS games ever made in terms of content:
- base building
- using Fulton to recruit soldiers and POW's
- developing your own Metal Gear and customizing it with different AI parts (legs, heads, armor, boosters and AI boards you can get from fighting different Mechs/AI's)
- capturing mechs like armored vehicles/tanks/choppers
- sending combat unit and mechs into Outer Ops (to find weapon specs and recruit soldiers)
- researching hundreds of weapons and items (weapon/item specs can be found scattered around missions or earned by finishing missions or getting high ranks in missions)
- 20 hour main story (Main Ops)
- 50+ hour extra missions (Extra Ops)
- monster hunter missions
- incredibly fun multiplayer modes (Versus Ops)
- very fun co-op play for every mission

At first I was thinking the 8 saves didn't sound too bad since the game really isn't that long - especially if you cut out all the codec/cutscenes but is it that you need to load a save if you trigger an alert phase? I haven't kept track of alerts in my playthroughs but do they carry over if you die and start over from checkpoint?

To get BB rank you need to play on Extreme and get no kills, no alerts, no continues, not use rations, finish under 3 hours, only 8 saves, and have less than 700 shots.

Vally

is it true that PW diminishes the Boss sacrifice in MGS 3?

it's just something i heard before from many fans who hated peace walker

On the contrary, I think there are quite a few things in PW (like those tapes where Eva go on about The Boss going into space) that elevate The Boss even more, and make her sacrifice more significant

KorrZ

I've watched the E3 2014 trailer for TPP way too many times. Why is it so good - it's almost like the song was written FOR the trailer even though I know it wasn't

brau

I've watched the E3 2014 trailer for TPP way too many times. Why is it so good - it's almost like the song was written FOR the trailer even though I know it wasn't

Did you watch that interview with Kojima on how he edits his trailer? and how he picks certain scenes for different lines in the song? Definitely powerful way to put more meaning into his trailers.

KorrZ

Did you watch that interview with Kojima on how he edits his trailer? and how he picks certain scenes for different lines in the song? Definitely powerful way to put more meaning into his trailers.

No I haven't seen that, do you have a link handy by chance? Definitely interested.

Just tried MGS Twin Snakes for the first time.

Total garbage. Never playing this crap again.

I knew I was done with it as soon as the alert music didn't play. The fuck were thinking with the soundtrack?

Rajang

Just tried MGS Twin Snakes for the first time.

Total garbage. Never playing this crap again.

I knew I was done with it as soon as the alert music didn't play. The fuck were thinking with the soundtrack?

Yeah, it's total garbage.

I'ts like a parody of MGS1 by a horrible director.

Rajang

They need to mash up the Music and Voices from 1 and the graphics from TTS and then the experience might be tolerable. Probably.

They should have just redone the cutscenes like they were in MGS1. None of the ridiculous over the top trampoline shows and people acting out of character just to make it look cool. I never knew how bad TTS was untill I saw a complete playthrough of the game on Uknighted's twitch channel. They even managed to ruin the incredibly cool briefing files. And I don't like the graphics in TTS to be honest. Look at Otacons face for example, he looks like a hamster. The funny thing is that TTS came out 3 years after MGS2 and it was developed on much more powerful hardware and it still manages to look worse than MGS2 for some reason.

They need to mash up the Music and Voices from 1 and the graphics from TTS and then the experience might be tolerable. Probably.
Editing in the original audio won't fix the spin-jumping or missile-flipping or the kick-flips/backflips off of garage doors/onto sniper rifles/ along guard railings/off MGRex's foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom