• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woffls

Ughhh I have one more trophy to get on MGS4.... watching all the flashbacks. I've completed this game 25 times, just give me the damn thing. A checklist sure would be nice.

Woffls

I meant a checklist of the ones I've already seen so I don't have to dedicate 8 hours to doing all of them again :p I guess I could just do the hidden ones to start with, assuming those are the ones I've missed.

That list certainly helps for when I eventually get around to playing it again, though. I just played it about six times this week so won't be going back to it for quite a while.

Loakum

Banned
I agree it was definitely wrong to post any personal info, and it's definitely wrong to call or harass anyone. However, I still don't see the harm in posting a theory or speculation. The amount of self-righteousness I see around here sometimes is astounding.

I meant a checklist of the ones I've already seen so I don't have to dedicate 8 hours to doing all of them again :p I guess I could just do the hidden ones to start with, assuming those are the ones I've missed.

That list certainly helps for when I eventually get around to playing it again, though. I just played it about six times this week so won't be going back to it for quite a while.

Oh I misunderstood you there. I also had to play it lie 5 times until I finally finished it without missing cutscenes. I remember playing it for 4 hours straight without saving until I missed a flashback in act 5 because I wasn't paying enough attention.

Rajang

I agree it was definitely wrong to post any personal info, and it's definitely wrong to call or harass anyone. However, I still don't see the harm in posting a theory or speculation. The amount of self-righteousness I see around here sometimes is astounding.

Agreed.

The thread was locked because of this and the fact people were posting stupid youtube comments to the thread. I would say it was right to lock it down before it fully derailed.

Hi everyone. Got a quick question to ask, and thought asking it here would be the best place.

I'm replaying the MGS games in release order before I play Ground Zeroes for the first time, and then MGS: V when it comes out. I've got 1, 2, 3 and Peace Walker but I'm missing access to 4 as I never owned a PS3. Is it something I could deal with by just watching a YouTube video (either a whole playthrough, or just cut scenes etc.)?

Getting serious nostalgia playing MGS1 for the first time in about 10 years... good times. Only ever played 1 and 2 so I'm really looking forward to getting through these games.

Woffls

I'm replaying the MGS games in release order before I play Ground Zeroes for the first time, and then MGS: V when it comes out. I've got 1, 2, 3 and Peace Walker but I'm missing access to 4 as I never owned a PS3. Is it something I could deal with by just watching a YouTube video (either a whole playthrough, or just cut scenes etc.)?
You can get the story from a YouTube video [obviously spoilers, eventually], but it would be quite a shame to not play MGS4 given that it's one of the most accomplished in the series in terms of gameplay.

Hi everyone. Got a quick question to ask, and thought asking it here would be the best place.

Getting serious nostalgia playing MGS1 for the first time in about 10 years... good times. Only ever played 1 and 2 so I'm really looking forward to getting through these games.

At this point Yes.

The total length of cutscenes will make a good movie !

Mgs4 is like 90% of cutscenes, so it's ok just to watch. But watch gameplay too.

https://twitter.com/PythonSelkan/status/589888607961374720

PythonSelkan @PythonSelkan · 21 min
Glad to see people are finally opening their eyes. Our "Creepy" Analysis is coming very soon! "Please try to relax.."

Uh oh !
180v7479xsnaipng.png

You can get the story from a YouTube video [obviously spoilers, eventually], but it would be quite a shame to not play MGS4 given that it's one of the most accomplished in the series in terms of gameplay.
At this point Yes.

The total length of cutscenes will make a good movie !
Mgs4 is like 90% of cutscenes, so it's ok just to watch. But watch gameplay too.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. To be honest I wish I could play 4 instead of watch it... maybe I'll be able to find a cheap 2nd hand PS3 in the next week or two.

If I can't, I'll hit YouTube.

Vally

capitalising on the stupid, i see

Haha yeah, the timing is too perfect. But to be fair they started teasing this 'creepy' analysis a few days before all this stuff with the doctor came to light, so I don't know, it might be just a coincidence

What does Metal Gear mean to you guys...i been thinking that since V is really going to be the final Metal Gear, how much has the series played apart in your life?
Its my favorite game series. I grew up with it. It's sad knowing mgsv will be the last true metal gear.

Kept you waiting huh !! Brotheeerrsss !!! It's been too long!! Been following The Mgsv threads since the phantom pain reveal waiting to be free. I was reading every mgs v threads the crazy and insane ones, the reveal GDC, the TeamCG/TeamReal/TeamABCD, The christmas chicken hat (I know your pain Dawg i feel it too) ,E3 2013 and E3 2014, the TGS 2014 the release date speculations and rumors from Batzi and the craziness of Cipher cat! I was like a phantom waiting for the right time to awaken !

V has come to !

Metal-Gear-Solid-V-The-Phantom-Pain-V-has-come-to.jpg
Welcome brotheeerrrr!

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
That thread was fucking awful, and reeked of desperation with posters trying to figure out a non-existant conspiracy theory.

Holy shit. Lighten the fuck up. AFAIC no one on GAF proposed phoning the person.

Can't have some fucking fun around here without someone getting overly negative.

Was the link to the interview with Kojima mentioning Ian Moore posted after all?

Pinewood

Holy shit. Lighten the fuck up. AFAIC no one on GAF proposed phoning the person.

Can't have some fucking fun around here without someone getting overly negative.

Was the link to the interview with Kojima mentioning Ian Moore posted after all?

Yes they did.

HeelPower

That thread was fucking awful, and reeked of desperation with posters trying to figure out a non-existant conspiracy theory.

It was amazingly fun(some of the best fun I've ever had on GAF)

none of it was serious,everyone was messing around and having some frivolous fun.

When it got locked it was like a slap on the face :v

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Im talking about the phoning.

Right, yeah. But that wasn't the majority of people just connecting dots, which was all harmless fun.

I found the video with the fox engine demo showing a face that appears to be the doctor. No mention of Ian Moore. :/

In all likelihood there is no ruse and it's just one big hodgepodge of dazzling coincidences. Still... What are the chances of so many things lining up? Lol

Pinewood

We came to the conclusion here that most likely Kojima in the process of reseaching neurosciences came across this guy and used his face for the game.

Venom Fox

Banned
Can someone list me the actual evidence in text form of Gray Fox having his face and voice replaced temporarily by those of Big Boss. Specifically why it is Grey Fox?

I can't find text form evidence but there are countless videos online by Python and others.
I don't fully believe the Gray Fox theory but I think it'd be cool.

Regarding playing as a young Solid Snake, this makes complete sense as all trailers point towards the building of Outer Heaven.

JayEH

Gray Fox twist would be a twist for a twist's sake. It would detract everything from the game. Also, Kojima is not known for doing twists like this in his games. He did it ONCE with MGS2 for story purposes. He won't do something like that again.

Venom Fox

Banned
Grey Fox theory is stupid. Why would Grey Fox run the fucking Diamond Dogs? Kaz and Ocelot just out of blue follow him? Pls
I didn't say run the Diamond Dogs did I? There's no need to get all angry about an idea is there?
And if you learnt anything from the trailers it would have been Kaz and later Ocelot who set up and ran the Diamond Dogs.

Kaz and Ocelot wouldn't just follow him out of the blue if they were in on it.

I like the Gray Fox theory and have already said that I didnt 100% believe all of the theory itself.

Rajang

Thanks for the replies, everyone. To be honest I wish I could play 4 instead of watch it... maybe I'll be able to find a cheap 2nd hand PS3 in the next week or two.

If I can't, I'll hit YouTube.

Do you have a 360? Play the HD collection. Playing MGS2, MGS3, MGS PW in HD at solid 60 is incredible. If not, I would really buy a PS3 if I were you and get the Legacy Collection. It has every game you need to be prepared for TPP.

Chinner

Banned
most twists that fans have speculated are twists for the sake of twists. it's literally 'wouldn't it be cool if...' without actally thinking how it would affect the story.

MGSV is a story about revenge and one mans descent into evill....

... but that man is grey fox
..... it's a clone who thinks hes big boss
..... but it's all a dream
..... but it's somebody elses body
.... its virtual reality.

it would basically ruin the story lol

Venom Fox

Banned
Gray Fox twist would be a twist for a twist's sake. It would detract everything from the game. Also, Kojima is not known for doing twists like this in his games. He did it ONCE with MGS2 for story purposes. He won't do something like that again.

They could use the twist to supplement the games story though.

With Cipher, Skullface and the whole world according to Ocelot looking to kill Big Boss it'd make sense to have a body double and since we know Big Boss rescues Frank Yeager, maybe he persuaded him to undertake plastic surgery to give him time to kill skullface and set up Outer Heaven.

It wouldn't even mean us playing as Fox, he could just be apart of the story while we still play as BB.

The ending of Ground Zeroes
Sees Skullface attempting to kill Big Boss even after the conversation he has with Paz where he says he will leave Big Boss alone.
We all know that Cipher wants to kill Big Boss as well.
Because of these two men Big Boss goes into a coma.

There's a theory about Ishmael being Fox as well. So we will roll with that.

While BB is in the last years of the coma Kaz decides that when BB wakes up he will not be safe to Run Diamond Dogs while he is still being relentlessly hunted by Skullface and cipher.
Kaz decides to use Frank as a body double so when BB eventually wakes up Cipher and Skullface can continue their hunt of BB but in reality it's Frank and not BB.

This would explain why Ishmael still has bandages on (to hide his fake identity) in the hospital when XOF raids it looking for BB.

BB decides to continue with Frank being a body double while he goes after Skullface and build Outer Heaven in secret.

After this point we STILL continue to play as BB and not Frank/fake BB.
All Frank will be is a plot point and nothing more.

Gray Fox is like in his 30s by the time of TPP

first off he has white hair..

Gray Fox magically gets a facial surgery to look like a 49 year old Big Boss, yet after the events of TPP reverts back to his 30 something year old self with white hair.. (another facial surgery to revert back to himself)

also how is Gray Fox able to replicate the combat skills of the World's Greatest Soldier, without Kaz, Ocelot and a DD member being "wait a second...."

i mean come on guys...this is ludicrous

Chinner

Banned
what if metal gear solid phantom pain (TM A KONAMI COPYWRITE) stars big boss as he invades the enemy base but the enemy base is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

it turns out the main baddy... IS THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.

at the end, u look in the mirror... YOU ARE THE BAD GUY!

Rajang

what if metal gear solid phantom pain (TM A KONAMI COPYWRITE) stars big boss as he invades the enemy base but the enemy base is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

it turns out the main baddy... IS THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.

at the end, u look in the mirror... YOU ARE THE BAD GUY!

What if TPP is all just Chico's dream.

Javier23

Banned

You really don't have to play 4 before you play GZ. You won't miss anything relevant that PW or GZ won't introduce to in the same or even better fashion, since any mention of events taking place in 5's timeline is, just that, a mention in passing during dialogue sections. And I'll bet that playing 4 after 5 will still have much of the same impact. After all, 4 is the end to Solid Snake's saga and its events take place a few decades after 5. The plots are largely unrelated. So if you have the chance to play 4 before GZ or 5, do it. If not, you can do it somewhere down the road. Just don't stream it.

EDIT: A good example I just thought of would be watching SW EP III before VI. It's pretty safe.

Rajang

You really don't have to play 4 before you play GZ. You won't miss anything relevant that PW or GZ won't introduce to in the same or even better fashion, since any mention of events taking place in 5's timeline is, just that, a mention in passing during dialogue sections. And I'll bet that playing 4 after 5 will still have much of the same impact. After all, 4 is the end to Solid Snake's saga and its events take place a few decades after 5. The plots are largely unrelated. So if you have the chance to play 4 before GZ or 5, do it. If not, you can do it somewhere down the road. Just don't stream it.

EDIT: A good example I just thought of would be watching SW EP III before VI. It's pretty safe.

You're wrong, just because MGS4 is the last game chronologically doesnt mean it didnt impact the story for PW or GZ. For example
In MGS4 they explained for the first time the rift between Big Boss and Zero. Both having different ideals etc. And that Zero is behind the Patriots. I could make a whole list

This isn't a movie this is a video game series. Jumping acros titles can be incredibly jarring also because the gameplay has evolved in each new installment. The series was written this way as well. There will be plot points in PW for example that assume you have played MGS4.

CelticKnight, just play in order of release. This is the way the series was meant to be experienced. Not jumping across timelines.

Venom Fox

Banned
Gray Fox is like in his 30s by the time of TPP

first off he has white hair..

Gray Fox magically gets a facial surgery to look like a 49 year old Big Boss, yet after the events of TPP reverts back to his 30 something year old self with white hair.. (another facial surgery to revert back to himself)

also how is Gray Fox able to replicate the combat skills of the World's Greatest Soldier, without Kaz, Ocelot and a DD member being "wait a second...."

i mean come on guys...this is ludicrous

Franks white hair was a retcon, it was dark in the Original MG2.
Kojima could easily retcon it back or he could have dyed it.
The face could have been advanced prosthetics?
And what? At this point in time Frank Yeager would have been at least quite abit experienced in battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom