• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Community Thread |OT2| © 2015 Konami Digital Entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Franks white hair was a retcon, it was dark in the Original MG2.
Kojima could easily retcon it back or he could have dyed it.
The face could have been advanced prosthetics?
And what? At this point in time Frank Yeager would have been at least quite abit experienced in battle.

Frank is skilled no doubt...but Big Boss is the Greatest Soldier ever in the mgs universe, literally...he only really loss to pretty much himself (his clone)...

Venom Fox

Banned
Frank is skilled no doubt...but Big Boss is the Greatest Soldier ever in the mgs universe, literally...he only really loss to pretty much himself (his clone)...

True lol I can't wait to see of kojima will incorporate the battle between BB and SS into TTP!

I've already said though that I don't 100% believe that the Gray fox twist will happen, just that it'd be a cool "addition" to the story.
Also like I've said, the Gray Fox story could still happen without it affecting us playing as the real BB.

Pinewood

I didn't say run the Diamond Dogs did I? There's no need to get all angry about an idea is there?
And if you learnt anything from the trailers it would have been Kaz and later Ocelot who set up and ran the Diamond Dogs.

Kaz and Ocelot wouldn't just follow him out of the blue if they were in on it.

I like the Gray Fox theory and have already said that I didnt 100% believe all of the theory itself.

Like others have said, these twists are all for the sake of having twists and would imo have a great negative impact on the overall story. Not to mention these fail to consider the large picture the trailers have painted us, Kojimas last game, the one that is supposed to close Big Bosses story suddenly stars a new character? This makes no sense at all.

There are key questions to the Gray Fox theory that no one can answer.

Why the hell does Naomi not notice that her brother and "benefactor" look exactly the same? During Big Boss' coma Gray Fox was in Africa with Naomi going through hell, so how could Gray Fox pretend to be Big Boss?

Skullface

Why the hell does Naomi not notice that her brother and "benefactor" look exactly the same? During Big Boss' coma Gray Fox was in Africa with Naomi going through hell, so how could Gray Fox pretend to be Big Boss?

Retro Cans.

It's the remnants of the grand MGS 2 ruse. Ever since, there's always the crazy theory floating about that you may not be playing who you think you are! But really, Kojima hasn't really done that since then and I don't think he'll try to do the same thing a second time just yet.

It is possible that you may not play as Big Boss at some point (like a certain Rockstar game's ending), but I don't think it's something like "Oh you're not really BB, you're actually Gray Fox!" cause that's just silly. Like you say, that theory just doesn't make any sense.

Skullface

It's the remnants of the grand MGS 2 ruse. Ever since, there's always the crazy theory floating about that you may not be playing who you think you are! But really, Kojima hasn't really done that since then and I don't think he'll try to do the same thing a second time just yet.

It is possible that you may not play as Big Boss at some point (like a certain Rockstar game's ending), but I don't think it's something like "Oh you're not really BB, you're actually Gray Fox!" cause that's just silly. Like you say, that theory just doesn't make any sense.

I doubt we'll get the old switcharoo. It would be cool if we got to play the last, say, 2 hours of the game as an OP Solid Snake.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
most twists that fans have speculated are twists for the sake of twists. it's literally 'wouldn't it be cool if...' without actally thinking how it would affect the story.

MGSV is a story about revenge and one mans descent into evill....

... but that man is grey fox
..... it's a clone who thinks hes big boss
..... but it's all a dream
..... but it's somebody elses body
.... its virtual reality.

it would basically ruin the story lol

The story may be about corruption of the soul etc, thematically, but he's already said that he's tackling a host of taboos since it's a game and the medium allows for wide arrays of expository asides.

Amputation and loss are not necessarily taboos , but symbolically it could lead to interesting conversation.

I think digging up this Sergio Canavero person and referencing his work (if it's more than mere coincidence after all) is an effective viral marketing tactic. With the AANOS conference coming up soon it would be good for raising awareness ...

And good God , does anyone actually think a head transplant is real? Lol

JayEH

Rajang is right. MGS4 is very important to PW and V. I would never recommend watching a Metal Gear game as opposed to playing it. MGS4 has some very long and poor cutscenes but it does have some good emotional spots that lose impact if you don't play it.

MGS4 also has excellent gameplay btw.

Edit: Sorry for double post.

Grey Fox will probably be in this game....but he won't be playing as a "double" for Big Boss

i assume BB will meet him and Naomi in Africa

and he probably won't be a buddy because of time paradoxes

Rajang

That explains everything.

805V4M2.gif

Javier23

Banned
You're wrong, just because MGS4 is the last game chronologically doesnt mean it didnt impact the story for PW or GZ. For example
In MGS4 they explained for the first time the rift between Big Boss and Zero. Both having different ideals etc. And that Zero is behind the Patriots. I could make a whole list

This isn't a movie this is a video game series. Jumping acros titles can be incredibly jarring also because the gameplay has evolved in each new installment. The series was written this way as well. There will be plot points in PW for example that assume you have played MGS4.

CelticKnight, just play in order of release. This is the way the series was meant to be experienced. Not jumping across timelines.
You don't have to explain to me how MGS4 has impacted the plot of the subsequent installments, I have played every one a few dozen times, I'm just saying that
if he skips 4 is not like he is gonna miss anything on the conflict between Big Boss and Zero during the 20th century. For what we know the whole game may be about that. If he skipped MGS2 between 1 and 4 he may have some serious issues following the plot. But playing 1, 2, 3 and PW, he already has the whole picture. What's more, though this is more of an off-topic than anything else: was I Kojima and had the chance to rearrange the order of the series, I would probably want to leave the conclusion to the whole epic saga for the end. Sort of a MGS machete order, if you will. Specially given how jarring it was to learn in a cutscene no longer than a few minutes that, supposedly, the whole series had been about this protracted global conflict between two factions we barely knew anything about. Of course, from a real life perspective one understands that you just make it up as you go along and hope that the entry in which you are currently working has a decent story, to be followed on at some point in the distant future.

Venom Fox

Banned
I fail to see how it would negatively impact the story? People clearly haven't read all of what I have wrote.

I didn't mean we play as some Fake BB Frank Yeager Mash up, I meant that the body double theory could happen as a part of the background story.

I also have already said that I don't even 100% believe the theory of Venom Snake is Big Boss. I said I THOUGHT it'd be a cool addition to the story.

Furthermore, you guys have let me down.
This is Kojimas last Metal Gear game and you don't think he'll try and fuck with our heads for one last laugh?

He has already spoke out (before he was sacked) about remaking MGS1 and how it should be open world.
Which also brings about the likely hood of major retcons being implemented if that were to happen.

One thing that I will say is that I 100% believe that the last quarter or maybe half of the game will feature a Rookie Solid Snake.
Kojima is usually a man of his word and he's already said he's not done with Solid Snake.

Venom Fox

Banned

Wow, who did that? Konami could have a lawsuit on there hands for using his likeness without permission.

Not that I really care about Konami after what they have done to our Lord Hideo Kojima, just wondering whether this could negatively impact Kojima?

Do you know what's hilarious though?
This DR looks more like the one out of the phantom pain than Ian Moore does.

I don't think Big Boss and Kaz will have a falling out in TPP..because they still have to go back to America and take control of Foxhound (while controlling OH)...

and it's an important detail in the story, one that Kojima just can't retcon..i mean he even has it mentioned in 4 that BB returns to America

so it's going to be interesting how Zero lets BB come back

JayEH

I don't think Big Boss and Kaz will have a falling out in TPP..because they still have to go back to America and take control of Foxhound (while controlling OH)...

and it's an important detail in the story, one that Kojima just can't retcon..i mean he even has it mentioned in 4 that BB returns to America

so it's going to be interesting how Zero lets BB come back

Miller isn't introduced until Metal Gear 2 right? So it could be possible that he joins Foxhound at a time when Big Boss was not present.

Punishment for what they did to Kojima and the team ��

If it's just Konami then that's some great payback for this whole Kojima debacle.

I imagine Kojima would be in trouble too. Not only that but the game might have issues then as well.

He has already spoke out (before he was sacked) about remaking MGS1 and how it should be open world.
Which also brings about the likely hood of major retcons being implemented if that were to happen.
He also said he didn't want to touch the story.

Venom Fox

Banned
I doubt the doctor will even try anything with his Attorney.
This is basically free publicity when the eventual news sites start reporting it.

How you could you not change the story while making it open world?
I'm not defending anything just curious :)

Also Kojima-san said : "If it was going to be a remake, I wouldn't want to make a standard remake, but something similar to what Planet of the Apes is doing: Bringing the best of the past to the present and doing something new,"

Venom Fox

Banned
Also Kojima-san said : "If it was going to be a remake, I wouldn't want to make a standard remake, but something similar to what Planet of the Apes is doing: Bringing the best of the past to the present and doing something new,"
Didn't planet of the apes completely overhaul the story to the point where the original was set on a different planet all together?

This makes no sense whatsoever to me.
He doesn't want to change the story but yet wants to change the story? What?

Zambatoh

Didn't planet of the apes completely overhaul the story to the point where the original was set on a different planet all together?

This makes no sense whatsoever to me.
He doesn't want to change the story but yet wants to change the story? What?

I'm pretty sure every version of Planet of the Apes takes place on Earth. Even the Marky Mark one.

Venom Fox

Banned
Why would being open world change the story? Like GZ doesn't change the story, it's the same story however you play it.
We didn't play GZ as a linear game in the first place and the story isn't a fully fleshed out story centred on a linear campaign so this point doesn't make sense either.

Go and play GTAV's last mission from the start...you can't...yet it's an open world game. How would MGS as an open world change the story? Give me examples.

First you rescue Donald Anderson, it's the players choice on how to get to him, but he will always be in the same place and the cutscene would be exactly the same. Next is Baker, again in the same place, where you fight Ocelot and have the same cutscene...

The structure of Shadow Moses might change, but the information that is passed on wouldn't.

Kazuhira

https://twitter.com/PythonSelkan/status/589888607961374720

PythonSelkan @PythonSelkan · 21 min
Glad to see people are finally opening their eyes. Our "Creepy" Analysis is coming very soon! "Please try to relax.."

I really appreciate their enthusiasm but the obsession with the Grey Fox theory is ridiculous,they can´t think of anything outside of that possibility.
Their mindset is that everything is connected with Gray Fox.

Venom Fox

Banned
Go and play GTAV's last mission from the start...you can't...yet it's an open world game. How would MGS as an open world change the story? Give me examples.

First you rescue Donald Anderson, it's the players choice on how to get to him, but he will always be in the same place and the cutscene would be exactly the same. Next is Baker, again in the same place, where you fight Ocelot and have the same cutscene...

The structure of Shadow Moses might change, but the information that is passed on wouldn't.

Simple, what would be the point of having an open world with nothing to do in it and we still have to follow the same path to the same people to the same end goal?
It wouldn't make sense.

Would Kojima keep the layout of the Shadow Moses Facility the same?
If it was an open world then maybe it'd make more sense to have the whole archipelago open to the player and spread the facility over multiple islands?

I admit the story COULD stay relatively the same but more than likely it'd change to include a bigger Foxhound unit with more Bosses considering the player space would have become a lot bigger.

This alone changes the story, even if kojima was to simply move a Boss to a different location this would also change the story as we knew it.

There would likely be more codec conversations because to be honest it'd be boring if we had to cross multiple islands without the colonel mumbling in our ear.

Kojima would have to add into the story the retcons and back storystory he added in with peace walker MGS3.

This would change the story.

Why are we even having this discussion? Kojima has said already that he'd keep the best bits and completely start anew.

And next time add in a real open world structured game like assassin's creed or something sandbox like hitman.

Hello, guys. First post and all, and want to show where my true allegiances lie. I've always lurked this thread and have loved OuterGAF, and I will serve it well lol, If anyone needs a head transplant, I'm here ;).

Venom Fox

Banned
What do you guys think our chances of another trailer at E3?
Will Kojima be allowed to attend considering the restrictions placed upon him?

I think we will still get one, maybe an extra special one because after all Konami will want to sweep all this bad press under the carpet and the only way to do that is to try and make people forget.

Vally

What do you guys think our chances of another trailer at E3?
Will Kojima be allowed to attend considering the restrictions placed upon him?

I think we will still get one, maybe an extra special one because after all Konami will want to sweep all this bad press under the carpet and the only way to do that is to try and make people forget.

I think another trailer at E3 is a given; not sure if Kojima will attend though

KorrZ

I almost don't want them to show anymore gameplay. I feel like I've seen enough of TPP at this point gameplay wise and I'd like some of the cool little tricks you can do to be a surprise once the game's released.

I would appreciate another trailer similar to the Nuclear one from last year though, but perhaps with more dialogue so we can get a bit more of a story tease.

Venom Fox

Banned
I don't know, I think we should have heard something about that by now if we were to get a beta... there's still time to announce it but I'm not holding out much hope
I have to agree but I'm still hoping they will announce one at E3 to surprise us :)

I almost don't want them to show anymore gameplay. I feel like I've seen enough of TPP at this point gameplay wise and I'd like some of the cool little tricks you can do to be a surprise once the game's released.

I would appreciate another trailer similar to the Nuclear one from last year though, but perhaps with more dialogue so we can get a bit more of a story tease.

Yeah another trailer like Nuclear would be awesome although I wouldn't mind a short 60 second story trailer without too many spoilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom