• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Currently attempting to fight
Armstrong
with no healing...on Revengeance difficulty, goddamnit Revengeance has never been so hard until now, I'm at the
fistfight
phase of the fight, and everything he does one-shots me. I have 180% health, the dodge is so much more reliable then the parry in this fight, but a single mistake will kill me.

Does anyone know if
Armstrong
one-shots you if you have 200%? If not, I think it's time to find the rest of the health upgrades.

I think I would actually eat a bag of dicks if it meant getting a dash or roll button in this game. I'm getting better at the perry system but the inability to get get out of the way quickly is killing my enjoyment. Like those guerilla guys; if I'm attacking there's no way to stop and run away before they grab me. I think that's my biggest issue with this game. That and the perry not really working if you are in the middle of a combo you can't perry or run. I guess I understand why but it's like this badass sword swinging action game is encouraging you to attack as little as possible because dodging and using perry is so important. I think that's totally fucked and against the feel of the game. I still like it, but ffs just let me attack more, I wouldn't even care if the enemies all had more lifee, just please let me attack.

Also, how do I beat this asshole who breaks into pieces. I can perry all of his attacks but then I never hit him again after 1/3 health is gone. I can get a few blade modes where I see the red box on his head but it still won't let me hit him.

What does the Grey Fox skin do?
I think it's just cosmetic and only makes you look like MGS Cyborg Ninja. As far as I can tell, there's no bonuses attached to it, unlike the White or Inferno Armor, which increase health item/grenade capacity. Also, if you use the Grey Fox Skin, you can yell "Hurt me more!" When you take damage while playing.

Edit: Beat me more!

Iskander

Neo Member
Pre-order still hasn't arrived from Gamestop. Pretty sure I'm going to cancel and order from Amazon - I'll still get it sooner at this rate. Hard to stay out of this thread since I don't want to read too much about it...!

bhytre

My Amazon UK pre-order finally shipped, can't wait to play this gem.
It's awesome to see a fresh approach in the action game genre where you usually are encouraged or required to evade all attacks.
Here it's like 'bitch I ain't moving one inch I'm wearing high heels' *PARRY*
M G S R

Fabrik

Banned
I think I would actually eat a bag of dicks if it meant getting a dash or roll button in this game. I'm getting better at the perry system but the inability to get get out of the way quickly is killing my enjoyment. Like those guerilla guys; if I'm attacking there's no way to stop and run away before they grab me. I think that's my biggest issue with this game.

Yeah what's with the gorillas? Are you seriously supposed to run away from them when they glow yellow? Same with the hammer guys.

Yeah what's with the gorillas? Are you seriously supposed to run away from them when they glow yellow? Same with the hammer guys.

Have you tried the offensive dodge, ie. square+cross? You need to purchase it and it is super useful for all unblockable attacks. I prefer to side-step around, but you can also lunge back.

jett

D-Member
I think I would actually eat a bag of dicks if it meant getting a dash or roll button in this game. I'm getting better at the perry system but the inability to get get out of the way quickly is killing my enjoyment. Like those guerilla guys; if I'm attacking there's no way to stop and run away before they grab me. I think that's my biggest issue with this game. That and the perry not really working if you are in the middle of a combo you can't perry or run. I guess I understand why but it's like this badass sword swinging action game is encouraging you to attack as little as possible because dodging and using perry is so important. I think that's totally fucked and against the feel of the game. I still like it, but ffs just let me attack more, I wouldn't even care if the enemies all had more lifee, just please let me attack.

Also, how do I beat this asshole who breaks into pieces. I can perry all of his attacks but then I never hit him again after 1/3 health is gone. I can get a few blade modes where I see the red box on his head but it still won't let me hit him.

1.- Offensive dodge, buy this movie. Square + X.

2.- Use EM Grenades. The stuff that he throws at you drops grenades after you slice them. You only have one chance to slash the pink square, btw.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Offensive Dodge and all is nice, but it isn't a valid defense for the parry system screwing you up when a defense button would help.

Fighting the first Raptor battle and I simply can't get my head around how the fuck they expect you to parry three attacks with one coming from off camera. Yeah, offensive dodge helps but then you'll eat an attack or miss a parry because you're trying to parry another Raptor's attack (which you'll then eat because the parry system freaks out at two parries). :|

So yeah, tips for destroying these dudes so I can continue past them?

Enemies glowing yellow mean an unblockable attack is coming. Just Ninja Run and LEAVE IT ALL BEHIND.
Except running away only works if you aren't trying to button mash them when they start the move.

Jett: Thanks. Had no idea I would have to buy that move.
I never used any sub items/weapons until this point so that didn't occur to me either.

in general: I think a block button would have been miles better. No screwing around, just press it.

Offensive Dodge and all is nice, but it isn't a valid defense for the parry system screwing you up when a defense button would help.

Fighting the first Raptor battle and I simply can't get my head around how the fuck they expect you to parry three attacks with one coming from off camera. Yeah, offensive dodge helps but then you'll eat an attack or miss a parry because you're trying to parry another Raptor's attack (which you'll then eat because the parry system freaks out at two parries). :|

Just run away, and fight them one at a time. Using Mistral's weapon helps a bit too as it will hit all around you.

jett

D-Member

How about you use the crowd-controlling weapon you recently acquired? :p

Except running away only works if you aren't trying to button mash them when they start the move.

Jett: Thanks. Had no idea I would have to buy that move.
I never used any sub items/weapons until this point so that didn't occur to me either.

in general: I think a block button would have been miles better. No screwing around, just press it.

Yeah, you can attack while an enemy glows to cancel their move. I just run if I'm surrounded though, since I'd end up eating another enemy's attack.

Also, does parrying chopper missiles do nothing except prevent damage? I keep expecting Raiden to flip the missile around so it hits the chopper.

TheSeks

This game would literally be a terrible, broken game if it had a dedicated block button.

Given there's unparryables, , make those... *gasp* unblockable? Parry turns into a Ninja Gaiden-like system where you have to hit the button at the EXACT moment to counter-attack/parry bouns.

@Jett: I dunno why I didn't think of that outside of it not really working on the first Gorilla armed dude.

Fabrik

Banned
Have you tried the offensive dodge, ie. square+cross? You need to purchase it and it is super useful for all unblockable attacks. I prefer to side-step around, but you can also lunge back.

Thanks. Not yet. I knew about it but I found this move a bit lame in the demo and hard to pull off consistently.
Can you parry the flamethrower attack? It's glowing red...

Given there's unparryables, , make those... *gasp* unblockable? Parry turns into a Ninja Gaiden-like system where you have to hit the button at the EXACT moment to counter-attack/parry bouns.

@Jett: I dunno why I didn't think of that outside of it not really working on the first Gorilla armed dude.

This is not Ninja Gaiden. Blocking is supposed to be a failure state (for a decent majority of the game). In Ninja Gaiden your finger is on the block/roll button like 95% of the game (to the point where the fastest way to move is to roll, jump, roll). Having a dedicated block button goes against their vision of a 100% offensive game. When enemies start having more unparryables your encouraged to use the dodge attack more.

The dodge attack move is super useful (and pressing it with a neutral stick so you dodge backwards is really useful to get some room) and has plenty frames of invulnerability to exploit as well.

Defunkled

Hey Jett, do you have any tips for VR Mission 5, the first one where you have to kill all the Dwarf Gekkos with grenades? Is there anything that doesn't make it seem like it's just sheer luck?

Dead

well not really...yet
I can't stop listening to "A Stranger I Remain" (Mistral boss song)

god damn, one of the best boss themes EVER imo

I beat the game. Amazing experience. It is a little rough with the parry system, though. I have no fucking clue how I'm supposed to get all S rankings in Revengeance mode. Oh, and Jamie Christopherson did a great job with the music. Was one of the best parts of the game.

Lothars

has anyone got the grey fox suit and fox blade to work from eb games? I get an error when trying to enter the code saying that it's not able to be used or something like that.

I emailed gamestop and they said it's a known issue and should be fixed by sunday.

has anyone else encountered this?

I punked out and bought the MGS4 raiden suit for $2 and I think have to unlock it with a ton of BP's, that sucks. Also, they mention how much that old suit sucks, does that really effect the player in-game?

Patching and installing the game. Hopefully it lives up to the hype! I'm just glad I can finally play it since I've been swamped with projects and tests in my Genetics and Microbiology classes T.T

has anyone got the grey fox suit and fox blade to work from eb games? I get an error when trying to enter the code saying that it's not able to be used or something like that.

I emailed gamestop and they said it's a known issue and should be fixed by sunday.

has anyone else encountered this?

yeah, a lot of people had that problem. it didn't work for me the first day, but i tried it again yesterday and it worked.

Did I mention how much I love this game? I'm actually on my second play-through, something I don't typically do thanks to my backlog.

Does anyone know where a Canadian might buy the soundtrack cheap?

haikira

I've got the completed icon in the store for all categories except for Costumes, Main Weapons and
Wigs
. Though I've bought everything i possibly can. Time to move on to hard or am i missing anything?

TheSeks

This is not Ninja Gaiden. Blocking is supposed to be a failure state (for a decent majority of the game). In Ninja Gaiden your finger is on the block/roll button like 95% of the game (to the point where the fastest way to move is to roll, jump, roll). Having a dedicated block button goes against their vision of a 100% offensive game. When enemies start having more unparryables your encouraged to use the dodge attack more.

The dodge attack move is super useful (and pressing it with a neutral stick so you dodge backwards is really useful to get some room) and has plenty frames of invulnerability to exploit as well.

And if they're off-camera and doing an attack, what then?

See, that's my problem with that parry system and the Raptor fight right now: I can see two of them, one of them is off-camera and then comes in with an attack. If there was a block system like Ninja Gaiden, I'd be able to crowd-control manage and if they guard-broke, no issue to me besides getting fucked up if I didn't avoid the attack THEN. But as it is, if I miss the parry because I can't see it, I'm fucked either way. How is that okay? Dodging isn't going to fix that because you're having to worry about attacks that you have no clue are coming if they're off-camera and if they're off-camera while you're attacking an enemy IN-camera, you're fucked since the parry requires the light-attack button and half the time I'm in the middle of an attack/going for Zendatsu only to eat an attack because I'm in recovery frames or coming out of blade mode animations to where I can't parry.

Parry system is an alright idea, just poorly done and I feel a Ninja Gaiden-like system (since the rest of the game is basically feeling like that already) would've helped instead of hindering.

Mechazawa

I can't beat the final boss on Hard.

I don't know what to do.
Two health bars, his flames sometimes don't dissipate and trap me inside with him which allow him to do another flame trail inside the flame cage I'm stuck in and I can't use Ripper Mode because i need to save my blade mode for the thrown parts, which I need to cut because I need the nanorepair and don't have any at the beginning of the fight.

Shit sucks, man. I'm gettin' bodied into infinity.

And if they're off-camera and doing an attack, what then?

See, that's my problem with that parry system and the Raptor fight right now: I can see two of them, one of them is off-camera and then comes in with an attack. If there was a block system like Ninja Gaiden, I'd be able to crowd-control manage and if they guard-broke, no issue to me besides getting fucked up if I didn't avoid the attack THEN. But as it is, if I miss the parry because I can't see it, I'm fucked either way. How is that okay? Dodging isn't going to fix that because you're having to worry about attacks that you have no clue are coming if they're off-camera and if they're off-camera while you're attacking an enemy IN-camera, you're fucked since the parry requires the light-attack button and half the time I'm in the middle of an attack/going for Zendatsu only to eat an attack because I'm in recovery frames or coming out of blade mode animations to where I can't parry.

Parry system is an alright idea, just poorly done and I feel a Ninja Gaiden-like system (since the rest of the game is basically feeling like that already) would've helped instead of hindering.

The only answer to this is to keep your camera on enemies and watch out for telltale signs of attacks (red flashes, etc). A block button is not a solution to this problem because it would literally destroy the purpose of the game. Every enemy in their game telegraphs their moves more than usual because the game is dedicated to parrying and the dodge attack. If you want this game to be another game, go play that game. If you can't see how this game is different from Ninja Gaiden and how a block button would require an entire redesign of nearly every part of the combat system then I have nothing more to say really.

Also, poorly done is ridiculous to say. Get better at the game and then tell me if it poorly done.

Edit: Also I have heard basically these same excuses from people talking about Ninja Gaiden. "The camera sucks - game is poorly done, - offscreen attacks!" After playing through all of the Ninja Gaiden variants on Master Ninja I would have to say that most complaints about Ninja Gaiden are objectively wrong.

I don't know what to do.
Two health bars, his flames sometimes don't dissipate and trap me inside with him which allow him to do another flame trail inside the flame cage I'm stuck in and I can't use Ripper Mode because i need to save my blade mode for the thrown parts, which I need to cut because I need the nanorepair and don't have any at the beginning of the fight.

I had a lot of trouble with him without repair paste as well, if you have to, go start the chapter again and grab a few repair paste at the start of the level, and save them for the last fight, he became trivial once I had 2 repair paste with me.

The dodge is very useful against him, well-timed dodge will go through anything he does, including the flame trail attack and his grab. Ripper mode is pretty useless against him, don't worry about it.

jett

D-Member
Hey Jett, do you have any tips for VR Mission 5, the first one where you have to kill all the Dwarf Gekkos with grenades? Is there anything that doesn't make it seem like it's just sheer luck?

Nope, that mission is crap, did it once and never returned. :p It seems though that striking at the "center gekko" will kill the rest...most of them anyway.

Mechazawa

I had a lot of trouble with him without repair paste as well, if you have to, go start the chapter again and grab a few repair paste at the start of the level, and save them for the last fight, he became trivial once I had 2 repair paste with me.

Hmm, yeah, this sounds like the plan. I don't think I'm gonna get anywhere without paste.

maks

There doesn't seem to be a need for Defense at all in this game.

I believe someone from the dev team mentioned that this game is meant to be played as offensive as possible. This must be the reason why the dodge has an attack built in to it and the reason why parry can be performed anytime during an attack.

I adopted this mindset while playing...offense all the time without slowing down. IT IS AWESOME!!!!

jett

D-Member

I don't know what to do.

Learn how to dodge and parry consistently. The attacks are fairly telegraphed.
The fire attacks will first mark the floor where it's going to hit, so you can get out of the way safely. The explosion move is probably the hardest one to avoid, but if you dodge at the right time you'll be invincible through it. His punches and kicks are easily blocked. For the throwing shit section remember to use both sticks to better position yourself. And the stuff you slice drops health paste btw.

Top Bottom