• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yep, just about jumped out of my sheet when I discovered that for myself.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I just recall I got the dress suit and then lost it because I started a new difficulty. Anyway for me to do the prologue on Very Hard without losing my progress on my Hard playthrough?

The Konami Code?

I'm not sure why they made New Game essentially erase your progress. They should have just had the option of "deleting" your save when you're selecting it at the beginning.

EDIT: Oh whoops, I think I misunderstood. Though, I'm not sure how you lost it when you started another difficulty. Once you unlock it, you should have it for any other playthrough.

It may have been asked before, but is there a way to switch the blood color to white like the japanese release? I don't have any issue with the red stuff, but having cyborgs bleed it after they bled white in MGS4 is a little odd.

I freaking love this game. This is easily the best action title I've played since Ninja Gaiden. This is the first time in a long while that a game actually surpassed my expectations!

Sajjaja

It may have been asked before, but is there a way to switch the blood color to white like the japanese release? I don't have any issue with the red stuff, but having cyborgs bleed it after they bled white in MGS4 is a little odd.

Was wondering why it was red as well. But I think its just a localization issue because of Japanese laws or something like that. White blood is not human blood so its okay.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Was wondering why it was red as well. But I think its just a localization issue because of Japanese laws or something like that. White blood is not human blood so its okay.

I'm sure that's the underlying reason, but I think they do explain the red blood in a codec conversation. I just can't remember exactly what they said.

They do explain that (in a codec I believe).
New kind of artificial blood.

Unfortunately, no, you cannot.

EDIT: AAARGGH GuardianE ;)

Game is amazing.

Am I the only one that thinks this plays more closely to Ninja Gaiden than DMC/Bayonetta?

Not a bad thing at all. Just my little observation.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hm, about the boss for R-04: did anyone else
not trigger the vocals when fighting Sundowner? I remember that he also swung pillars around at some point, with additional goons on the helipad joining the battle when watching the boss trailer. None of that happened for me...I don't think it was because of playing on normal, so maybe it was due to not cutting off his shield panels after opening him up? I just kept step slashing, using the dodge to avoid the blasts instead of spending much time being precise

The vocals kicked in after I fully destroyed his shield(he also makes the sword into the scissor form and kicks into the next phase), but yeah it seemed skippable. I didn't see him do any of that, I pretty much whupped his ass once the shield was gone and took him from 60% down in no time.

still trying to figure out - is there a way to see how many left arms you need until your next upgrade? Also has anyone figured out how to use grey fox in vr missions? is that possible? thanks in advance.

Korigama

The vocals kicked in after I fully destroyed his shield(he also makes the sword into the scissor form and kicks into the next phase), but yeah it seemed skippable. I didn't see him do any of that, I pretty much whupped his ass once the shield was gone and took him from 60% down in no time.
Ah, okay then. Thanks for the info.

I finished the game last night, and am going through it again on Hard to get more BP and upgrade Raiden more. Also trying to pick up data pads and the like I've missed. Overall it's a very fun game, and despite the short length of one playthrough, it's addictive enough to make you want to play again and again, if only to find the things you missed, beef up Raiden, and try out all the unique weapons.

I'll echo a comment that I found Armstrong ridiculous, but not necessarily in a good way. I think my biggest problem with him is that, lava punches aside, he doesn't feel as epic as a final boss should. After we've seen Raiden swing around Ray, slice through dozens of vehicles, and wield a freakin' huge sword...fighting a muscle-bound senator just feels a little underwhelming.

I kinda feel they should have swapped Armstrong and Metal Gear around, and make him the penultimate final boss instead, while padding out the Metal Gear fight a little more to make it happen all over the base. Also would've been neat if they had Armstrong imitate Raiden by grabbing some random soldiers at points to rip out their cores and heal himself after so much damage, ala Bayonetta's Father.

I'm only renting the game from Gamefly, so I don't know if I'll hold onto it long enough for the DLC, but what's been announced sounds pretty cool.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to unlock a VR room where you can practice with all your weapons, or do you have to do it in an actual mission?

still trying to figure out - is there a way to see how many left arms you need until your next upgrade? Also has anyone figured out how to use grey fox in vr missions? is that possible? thanks in advance.

The only thing Left Arms do is unlock a special sword, for which you need all 20. Doktor's comments about "discovering" something only means you're getting closer to unlocking it. It's confusing, I know.

To see which ones you have, go to "collection" in the title menu. You'll see everything's you've found, including Left Arms (ie. IDs).

Damn I'm to old for this :( I've been trying to beat the last boss for more than an hour now :(
Best I got him down to was
80%

I have 3 health packs but its a no go. My health is maxed
170%
and my damage is maxed as well.

I'm trying to jump in and out but it goes sooooo slow and the bastard gets me sooner or later. My parry sucks and I can usually parry his rush attack but not much else. I also run under the
debris he is throwing at me
as I can't for the life of me destroy it.

And this is on Normal :(

Any skills I should be using? Or Combos or what. I really want to finish this one

jett

D-Member
I annihilated
Sundowner
with his own weapon on very hard, the fight literally lasted less than two minutes, I didn't even had to do the shield cutting thing. The pincer blades go right through him and the explosion doesn't knock Raiden back. :lol I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed with the bosses in the higher difficulties. Maybe getting the S is the real challenge.

FStop7

Banned
This is an amazing game.

It's not up its own ass srs bizness.

The event synced nu-metal boss fight music is the best fucking thing. Ever.

Raiden slicing dudes with his sword attached to his foot.

Bar codes on swords.

Bar codes on foreheads.

Bald Michael Schumacher asking you to collect severed left cyber hands in exchange for upgrades.

CHAINSAW TAILED ROBO DOGS. BLADEWOLVES, if you will.

I want to grab random people by the shoulders and tell them about this shit so they can understand how awesome it is. They need to understand.

Imm0rt4l

I'll finish this game later today

mild spoilers

Just wanna give a big fuck you to the final boss. I really hate the upstream of lava that comes out especially when put in a tight place because I'll inevitably have to parry his next attack (which has so much fucking push back) and be shoved with my back up against the wall wall of lava only to be sent over TO THE OTHER STREAM OF FUCKING LAVA(no invincibility frames on wakeup and all).The patterns seem easy enough I just need to respect the senator a bit more . I'll probably play it again later tonight and beat it. Offensive Defense is a Godsend for this fight tho, srs.

Samuel was the most fun I Had fighting a boss in this game. Mano y mano, hf blade is the only real way to fight this guy, lotta fun.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Ugh, I am so bad at left arm getting... They always start turning with their left arm going behind them so I have no good way to cut. How do you guys approach left arm enemies?
I accidentally found out you can sever ID-tagged arms by using the
pincer blades
, without entering blade mode. One clean
charged
slice did the trick for me.

It's not a fool proof method though, since it only worked 3 out of 4 times that I've tried it.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I really want to play this, but having hard time justifying $60 for such a short game =(

All those screen shots you see about 4hr completion time are just the way the game calculates time in game. The actually completion time would be about 9 or so hours. Replayability is greatly emphasised in this title as well. Not to mention about two dozen VR missions.

Honestly the game is as long as it needs to be.

demidar

I really want to play this, but having hard time justifying $60 for such a short game =(

Are you a veritable god at video games? If no then a single runthrough will take you about 8 hours, but this game was made for replays. If you're a content tourist then move along.

The only thing Left Arms do is unlock a special sword, for which you need all 20. Doktor's comments about "discovering" something only means you're getting closer to unlocking it. It's confusing, I know.

To see which ones you have, go to "collection" in the title menu. You'll see everything's you've found, including Left Arms (ie. IDs).

Oh wow I had no idea, so then left arms are not tied to upgrading Raiden at all? How do you get all of the skills unlocked?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Finished the game on hard. The bosses definitely seemed tougher towards the end, though I still felled the final boss on the first try, and it wasn't even close. Though I guess it's to be expected, since it's my second playthrough.

The game was even more awesome the second time through, since I knew how the mechanics worked. It just feels good to play this game.

Oh wow I had no idea, so then left arms are not tied to upgrading Raiden at all? How do you get all of the skills unlocked?

Buying other skills/weapons first

Also, the arms unlock the sword AND the wigs. 20 arms gave me Infinite Wig B for Infinite Blade Mode. I haven't really used it, but it's there!

And I just finish Very Harded, and I agree with Charanajxy, it's even better the second time around when you know the mechanics and the enemies. The final 3 missions are VERY noticeably short, however. That shorten development time, maybe?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Is the score out yet? i'm not talking about the vocal OST. I mean the other amazing music that is in the game.

Ein Bear

Don't know how anyone can say the game's only 4 hours long or whatever, I think I spent a good hour just listening to codec stuff on the first level. It's half the fun of Metal Gear!

TreIII

My JP LE shipped. According to FedEX I should have it tomorrow! Gonna devote my weekend to this game as much as possible!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Don't know how anyone can say the game's only 4 hours long or whatever, I think I spent a good hour just listening to codec stuff on the first level. It's half the fun of Metal Gear!

Yeah, it's not even close to 4 hours. On my second run-through, I skipped the cut-scenes and continued 5 times, and I was still barely below the five hour mark.

Is the score out yet? i'm not talking about the vocal OST. I mean the other amazing music that is in the game.

I know Wal Mart has an instrumental OST that comes with the game.

I hope they'll release instrumentals of the boss themes.

Yeah, it's not even close to 4 hours. On my second run-through, I skipped the cut-scenes and continued 5 times, and I was still barely below the five hour mark.

Well, my timer was at about 4:45 upon completion of normal mode last night. And had a total of 9 deaths. About 5 of which were from ninja run segments while the others were from the last leg of the final boss. :shrugs: I don't really see a problem with the game's length, though. Still tons of stuff to do post game, so the "short" playtime is basically a non issue.

Instrumental versions of the boss themes come with the Vocal Tracks CD.

I know what I'm buying!

Thanks!

Okay I will never beat the final boss.
This is worse than any QTE. I don't know how I should do it this fast...I can't even see where the "line" is when I have to cut those rocks

V_Arnold

I'll finish this game later today

mild spoilers

Just wanna give a big fuck you to the final boss. I really hate the upstream of lava that comes out especially when put in a tight place because I'll inevitably have to parry his next attack (which has so much fucking push back) and be shoved with my back up against the wall wall of lava only to be sent over TO THE OTHER STREAM OF FUCKING LAVA(no invincibility frames on wakeup and all).The patterns seem easy enough I just need to respect the senator a bit more . I'll probably play it again later tonight and beat it. Offensive Defense is a Godsend for this fight tho, srs.

I do not understand your problem, though. I always just dodge it once, then Stinger back. Then, if there is a second wave coming, I just dodge again. (Not parry, dodge!)

This is worse than any QTE. I don't know how I should do it this fast...I can't even see where the "line" is when I have to cut those rocks

It is very easy to do so, just train your muscle memory.
First rock: Enter blade mode, just slash from upper right to lower left. One clean cut.
Second rock: You will need to adjust the camera oh-so-slightly for this, and it is the other way around.
Third Rock: Adjust the camera down, and do it left from right. Bam.

By the time you practice the fight enough times, you will get to the rocks without taking damage. Then the only thing left is the rock cutting practice, then the rocks have an alternate variation as well, later on :D

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Instrumental versions of the boss themes come with the Vocal Tracks CD.

Yeah, i mean the other epic music Jamie Christopherson composed for the game. Any released date or info? for example when you start the PS3, put the disc in and just wait in the PS3 menu before you start the game. Stuff like that is not on the vocal soundtrack.

Don't give up, keep trying you will see from time to time you'll get better and feel like the FUCKING MAN after beating him.

Carbonox

This game is unreal. Started on hard mode, not having too much trouble. Some of the fights are graaaaaaaand.

Quite a comical game too.

chrono01

Yeah, i mean the other epic music Jamie Christopherson composed for the game. Any released date or info? for example when you start the PS3, put the disc in and just wait in the PS3 menu before you start the game. Stuff like that is not on the vocal soundtrack.

Oh, I gotcha.

That comes with the Soundtrack for the Limited Edition [and copies from Wal-Mart, I guess].

I'm not sure if they'll start selling that version later on its own, or not. :(

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I am more than halfway through the game and have just discovered those blue item boxes can be opened with blade mode. I have opened none of them.

What have I missed?

chrono01

I am more than halfway through the game and have just discovered those blue item boxes can be opened with blade mode. I have opened none of them.

What have I missed?

Hmm, probably a few Endurance upgrades and maybe a Data Storage or two.

The rest, I believe, were just basic items. The Endurance/Data Storage items are the big ones, though, but even then it's likely you only missed a few [from what I could see, anyway].

Ken

What have I missed?

man.

me too ;_;

whack whack whack in normal mode
doesn't open
I guess they can only open in NG+ or something
leaves

I do not understand your problem, though. I always just dodge it once, then Stinger back. Then, if there is a second wave coming, I just dodge again. (Not parry, dodge!)

It is very easy to do so, just train your muscle memory.
First rock: Enter blade mode, just slash from upper right to lower left. One clean cut.
Second rock: You will need to adjust the camera oh-so-slightly for this, and it is the other way around.
Third Rock: Adjust the camera down, and do it left from right. Bam.

By the time you practice the fight enough times, you will get to the rocks without taking damage. Then the only thing left is the rock cutting practice, then the rocks have an alternate variation as well, later on :D

Oh god. Thanks, I'll try that.

Btw: If I quit...will I have to start the whole fight from the beginning?

Neiteio

I beat Monsoon last night and I'm looking forward to more tonight. A question about Chapter Select -- does it include cutscenes (it'd be nice to watch them again), and would replaying a chapter cause me to lose my current progress in Story Mode? Also, can I use Chapter Select to go back and get unopened crates, etc?

Top Bottom