• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

RangerBAD

denzel_intro.jpg

MY MAN!

this should be a staple of EVERY action ga,me with bosses -__-

Are there any character action games with that? I just know Ys, Castlevania and Megaman games have it.

I'd probably play this sometimes just for all the awesome music.

Me too. Rising's bosses are some of the best I've ever seen in my 20 years of gaming. Really wish they were easy to rematch. I'd come back to the game every now and then to play them.

I mean, HOLY FUCK MONSOON WHEN YOU'RE PARRYING THE SHIT OUT OF HIM. FUCKING BRILLIANT. AND DAT MUSIC.

I kind of love how the game is so short. I've beaten it on Easy, Normal, and Hard. Did Hard first, went through Easy/Medium to unlock the chapters in chapter select and to get BP. Going to try Revengeance S ranks next now that my Fox Blade is in good shape. The brisk length makes replays really enjoyable. I know that I can beat it in 2-3 hours. Game never drags either.

The music is lovable. My favorite is Mistral's. The Boss fights are great too...

My only complaint is the messy camera... And maybe a little more deep combat system, altough I even have grasped the basics in my first walkthrough....

I so fucking need Gifs of the final boss battle if this game...

I've got this arriving tomorrow almost solely based off the demo and how insane and intense it felt.

I'm not a huge fan of hack and slash games, and I'm really not a MGS fan either but something about this really pulled me in - I even replayed the demo numerous times in an attempt to get 'S' rank on certain sections. It does seem pretty tough though, as I take a lot of damage from the mechs/end of demo despite setting it on 'Easy' although that might just be my inexperience with the genre. I've read that people have found it frustrating even on normal, so I might play through on easy to begin with, and then i'll have an incentive to replay on a harder difficulty while going for better combat scores.

Hopefully the plot is fun without being too overbearing. Should I expect hours of cutscenes? Not that I'm overly fussed as long as they're entertaining, because the core gameplay feels so damn satisfying.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yay! Just beat
Jetstream Sam
on Hard, no damage. I love this fight. Achievement get!

Kinda neat, in the Chapter Select, it actually says "No Damage" above your rank.

Still only got an A rank. lol.

So finished the game on normal, and it is a fun game, there is no denying.

Some quick thoughts:

The story was interesting to follow but felt more like a comic story than the typical Kojima epic.

Kojima stories were always comic stories and I'm not saying that as criticism, but they were always crazy action shit happening and supervillians. This game just goes all the way in the craziness and even acknowledges it.

Curtney recap of MGS4 and saying that it sounded like BS

Hey all.

My mgs rising LE plasma lamp stopped working. The blue lights at the bottom just flash now, the touch isn't working at all. Anyone?

There's two modes to the lamp: lightning and LED's; just LED's.

I thought mine was busted the 2nd time I turned it on and there was no lightning, but I flipped the switch down, instead of up, and just turned on the LED's.

If it really is broken, contact Konami/where you bought it, for a replacement.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Might want to call them about it. I actually got my guide in today.

it's shipping soon status and they got the money out of my account

I'll give it another day. I really want it out by tomorrow so there's a chance I'll get early next week at least

YoungOne

Put in Konami code and started on very hard right off the back. First encounter in the demo area got wrecked by the gorilla thing, bought defensive offensive to tested against the grab and beat him loving the challenge.

RangerBAD

Yay! Just beat
Jetstream Sam
on Hard, no damage. I love this fight. Achievement get!

Kinda neat, in the Chapter Select, it actually says "No Damage" above your rank.

Still only got an A rank. lol.

Did you go toe-to-toe with him or use that exploit of just forcing him to dash at you over and over? That's how I won, but I took damage because of the camera close to invisible walls.

Put in Konami code and started on very hard right off the back. First encounter in the demo area got wrecked by the gorilla thing, bouught defensive offensive to tested against the grab and beat him loving the challenge.

Should have gone all in on Revengeance!

I'm in deep shit (File R-04 Spoilers)
Sundowner boss battle and I have no nano-paste, help!

stay behind him so you don't have to deal with the shield attack. Block his orange back shield attack and dodge his red blow. Rinse and repeat. He's REALLY easy with this tactic

Aesthet1c

This is probably a dumb question but I don't understand how the custom weapons work. Do they just come out during combos sometimes when you have them equipped? Or is there a way to only use that weapon?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The custom weapons replace your kick/heavy attacks

Which is kinda stupid. I dunno why they didn't make them a "main weapon" like Ninja Gaiden's weapon selection.

Again another thing they could copy from the king of the Action genre but didn't for the sake of "being different" but just being clunky as hell with it.

So weird to be hacking with light attacks and then doing a huge sweeping attack with strong attack for having that Dwarf Gekko weapon equipped.

Viewtify

Banned
Is it possible to not get the No Damage Bonus in a fight? Or is this a glitch? I don't think I can get an S rank on this fight on Very Hard without the bonus.

Is it possible to not get the No Damage Bonus in a fight? Or is this a glitch? I don't think I can get an S rank on this fight on Very Hard without the bonus.
In the Rex fight early on I remember not taking any perceivable damage but not getting the bonus. I think what actually happened was I got hit by a stray bullet during its sprays and unknowingly healed myself when it dropped some health items.

Viewtify

Banned
In the Rex fight early on I remember not taking any perceivable damage but not getting the bonus. I think what actually happened was I got hit by a stray bullet during its sprays and unknowingly healed myself when it dropped some health items.

I'm looking at my health during the fight and restart if I get hit, so it can't be that.

Which is kinda stupid. I dunno why they didn't make them a "main weapon" like Ninja Gaiden's weapon selection.

Again another thing they could copy from the king of the Action genre but didn't for the sake of "being different" but just being clunky as hell with it.

So weird to be hacking with light attacks and then doing a huge sweeping attack with strong attack for having that Dwarf Gekko weapon equipped.

Are you one of those peoples who believe that Resident Evil 4 should have "move while shooting" and Bionic Commando should have a jump button?

Final boss surprisingly satisfying, definitely needs some adjustment before you can beat him.

Overall the game is awesome, no real complaints, except maybe chapters 5/6 should have been lumped into one.

Platinum should keep this up, seriously. I might even go back and re-playe bayonetta and vanquish now. These guys are damn good at making really fun, engaging games with rewarding learning curves.

Can't wait to see what they put out on next gen platforms.

Welcome to action games.

Not an excuse. Bayonetta has pretty much a perfect camera.

And it's not like MGR's camera is totally broken. If it's pulled back a few feet, raised up just a bit, and phases THROUGH the environment instead of bumping up against walls it would be great. It's a bit squirrely right now.

Sakujou

Banned
just played through REVENGEANCE.

Easily the GOTY for me.

Played it through in one go, because i was hyped for it since the VGA11.

So, i have to admit, the graphics werent that good, 60fps was not always granted(especially in the last few sections of the game the framerate went completly down to around the infamous 18fps)

And my biggest issue: the camera.

Oh gawd, how much i hated it when i got spotted by the stupid soldiers. most of the time it was the fault of the camera or the strange controlling mechanism.

But still, i enjoyed it to the fullest. how much i was hyped for nearly 2 years.... wow

such a good feeling, after beating it in one row.
revengeance.jpg

and here is a screenshot of the last screen: i love these kind of statistics, how good or how bad you were.

and the time: it took me 13 hours to finish this game, but it only shows you nearly 6 hours... kind of strange....

wow, will fight through this game once more with my DLC shit.

oh yeah, and the doc in the game, his german is quite good and the accent is hilarious!

and some of the dialogues.... wow, i loved this kind of trash-talk... hahaha

Not an excuse. Bayonetta has pretty much a perfect camera.

And it's not like MGR's camera is totally broken. If it's pulled back a few feet, raised up just a bit, and phases THROUGH the environment instead of bumping up against walls it would've been great.

But that's pretty much the most polished and refined action game to date.

I honestly didn't have much of a problem with MGR's camera, its not that difficult to deal with. It can be frustrating when it gets too close and is hard to locate enemies, but it doesn't happen that often.

IMO Rising's only problem is that PlatinumGames' didn't have enough time to perfect it.

jett

D-Member
For what it's worth, the speech of Armstrong is wat and strangely entertaining at the same time.

The only cutscenes I didn't bother to skip my second time around. Seriously, that character is up there as one of the more ridiculously entertaining in the series.
When he helps Raiden up and dusts him off and then embraces him like a prodigal son I lost my shit. Senator Hulk must come back in a sequel, somehow.

But that's pretty much the most polished and refined action game to date.

I honestly didn't have much of a problem with MGR's camera, its not that difficult to deal with. It can be frustrating when it gets too close and is hard to locate enemies, but it doesn't happen that often.

IMO Rising's only problem is that PlatinumGames' didn't have enough time to perfect it.

The camera can be dealt with, certainly. It doesn't break the game, you just have to control it, a lot, or risk being beat down. It's still the first thing they should address on a hypothetical sequel.

RangerBAD

The only cutscenes I didn't bother to skip my second time around. Seriously, that character is up there as one of the more ridiculously entertaining in the series.
When he helps Raiden up and dusts him off and then embraces him like a prodigal son I lost my shit. Senator Hulk must come back in a sequel, somehow.

I'll be back comes to mind.

That entire part was entertaining as hell. Even the start
when he activates Hulk mode with a sumo stomp, are you kidding me.
The whole fight really made the game just that much better.

Sakujou

Banned
So I pretty much used that framing exploit to get the fox blade and it is soooooo sweet.

what is this blade, and where do i get it?
i just got
muramasa
after the playthrough.

well the camera is not broken, but i felt, that it was less good than in bayonetta.

also the lock-on button didnt work out well.

Dead

well not really...yet
I just beat the chapter 6 boss.

I wonder if the blade wolf dlc will have
it using sams blade as a weapon

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
what is this blade, and where do i get it?
i just got
muramasa
after the playthrough.

well the camera is not broken, but i felt, that it was less good than in bayonetta.

also the lock-on button didnt work out well.

The FOX Blade is the gamestop preorder bonus DLC that was included with the Grey Fox skin.

Top Bottom