• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Mechazawa

Learn how to dodge and parry consistently. The attacks are fairly telegraphed.
The fire attacks will first mark the floor where it's going to hit, so you can get out of the way safely. The explosion move is probably the hardest one to avoid, but if you dodge at the right time you'll be invincible through it. His punches and kicks are easily blocked. For the throwing shit section remember to use both sticks to better position yourself. And the stuff you slice drops health paste btw.

I get that, but the
fire cage where he traps you and you can't really move around is a total bitch and it only takes two or three hits for you to completely die. So if you're in the fire area with him and he decides to do something with an AoE, you're fucked.

As of now, it's rare that I ever actually reach that part where he throws shit at me.

So I'll just restart the level I guess. I've already died 40+ times on this fucker.

I can't believe some of the reviews and people have said the dodge isn't useful. It's the BEST way to get outta there when an unblockable (yellow) move is coming at you. You can even get all the way BEHIND enemies using the left + right directions.

I swear if the camera was better this would be one of my favorite combat systems ever. Even with the camera issues its tremendous fun. I love the emphasis on parrying and keeping the action fast.

EDIT: WTF you can Dodge Offset in this game?

PLATINUM

PLATINUM Y U SO GOOD

goblin

I can't beat the final boss on Hard.

I don't know what to do.
Two health bars, his flames sometimes don't dissipate and trap me inside with him which allow him to do another flame trail inside the flame cage I'm stuck in and I can't use Ripper Mode because i need to save my blade mode for the thrown parts, which I need to cut because I need the nanorepair and don't have any at the beginning of the fight.

I had an easier time avoiding the flame trail (I assume you're talking about the attack that creates a web of glowing lines on the ground) if I killed my lock-on and angled the camera myself. With the flame attack that creates one or two giant rows of lava, if you Ninja Run away from him while he's charging up and then to the left or right while locked-on you ought to be able to avoid it entirely and stay out of range until it dies down -- so you can Ninja Run back at him for more damage -- or wait until he charges at you, which can be blocked.

Also, might be confirmation bias, but I found that using Ripper mode made it easier for me to stagger him out of his fire charge-up attacks. If you're hellbent on beating him at all costs and you still have some Electrolyte Packs, you can try burning those for Ripper mode or to recharge Blade Mode meter before one of the throwing parts.

NYR

Hey all.

My mgs rising LE plasma lamp stopped working. The blue lights at the bottom just flash now, the touch isn't working at all. Anyone?

I'm on hard at the final boss, first walkthrough. And... What the fuck.

I mean... What the fuck.

WHAT THE FUCK.

WHAT

THE

FUCK

Not only storywise the game has derailed and completeley lost its mind, but what the hell... Just how many boss battles are in this fucking level?? AND WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH THIS SENATOR GUY... HIS NAME IS ARMSTRONG. SENATOR FUCKING ARMSTRONG AND IS THE FUCKING LOST BROTHER OF IFRIT.

The metal gear excelsius was absurdly LONG hard and now this!! I've been dying like 20 times already and I only managed to put his life bar to 160%. YES 160%, because this MOTHERFUCKER has a life bar of 200% on the last fucking battle when I have no health kits.

I've been a loyal fan Platinum, I even bought Anarchy Reigns, so why you do this to me?

It was so fucking hard to put good old´
Solidus in his full cyborg tentacle glory
as the final Boss instead of this fucker?

But noooo... instead we have...
NANOMACHINES! + DO YOU EVEN LIFT

Don't know if any of you agree but this battle gives me the GODHAND feel of both absurdity and fucked up difficulty.

I can't believe some of the reviews and people have said the dodge isn't useful. It's the BEST way to get outta there when an unblockable (yellow) move is coming at you. You can even get all the way BEHIND enemies using the left + right directions.

I swear if the camera was better this would be one of my favorite combat systems ever. Even with the camera issues its tremendous fun. I love the emphasis on parrying and keeping the action fast.

PLATINUM

PLATINUM Y U SO GOOD

I thought there wasn't a dodge?

What is going on here?!

I mean... What the fuck.

WHAT THE FUCK.

WHAT

THE

FUCK

Not only storywise the game has derailed and completeley lost its mind, but what the hell... Just how many boss battles are in this fucking level?? AND WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH THIS SENATOR GUY... HIS NAME IS ARMSTRONG. SENATOR FUCKING ARMSTRONG AND HIS THE FUCKING LOST BROTHER OF IFRIT.

The metal gear excelsius was absurdly LONG hard and now this!! I've been dying like 20 times already and I only managed to put his life bar to 160%. YES 160%, because this MOTHERFUCKER has a life bar of 200% on the last fucking battle when I have no health kits.

I've been a loyal fan Platinum, I even bought Anarchy Reigns, so why you do this to me?

NANOMACHINES, SON!

I mean... What the fuck.

WHAT THE FUCK.

WHAT

THE

FUCK

Not only storywise the game has derailed and completeley lost its mind, but what the hell... Just how many boss battles are in this fucking level?? AND WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH THIS SENATOR GUY... HIS NAME IS ARMSTRONG. SENATOR FUCKING ARMSTRONG AND HIS THE FUCKING LOST BROTHER OF IFRIT.

Yah..Awesome Ain't it :D

GenoZStriker

Neo Member

PLATINUM

PLATINUM Y U SO GOOD
That is actually very interesting to know. Thanks for sharing that.

I mean... What the fuck.

WHAT THE FUCK.

WHAT

THE

FUCK

Play the chapter again and save your repair paste for the final fight, the boss becomes trivial once you have 2 repair pastes

DODGE OFFSET, SON.

If you dodge in the middle of a combo, when you come out of the dodge your combo string will continue from where you left it off. Immensely useful for using the pincer blades properly.

Woah, I didn't even try that. That would make the pincer blades way more useful yeah.

You don't even have to hold the attack button in this game, it's actually a bit easier than Bayo in that regard

You can do some pretty damaging shit with the Pincers/BMC/dodge offset

edit: Damn, you still on that one, Nemesis?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Konami finally decided to activate the Grey Fox outfit code for the 360 version.

Loving the game, but I'm finding the controls not as tight as Bayonetta. Still has that P* flare that I love. ^.^

RangerBAD

Is it a fair strategy to beat Sam by moving far away and making him do his dash slash and take advantage of him fixing his sheath? Or is it just a cheap exploit? lol I just did that over and over and won pretty easily. I was dying a lot trying to parry everything in his 4-hit combos.

Mr. RHC

So finished the game on normal, and it is a fun game, there is no denying.

Some quick thoughts:

The story was interesting to follow but felt more like a comic story than the typical Kojima epic. It was eventually getting too, how do I put this, lazily crazy at the end. The whole brain thing, Armstrong(seriously what was that all about), Bladewolf being the most displaced and forced character who isn't really comic relief nor has anything of real importance to add to the story(edit: he could have been used way better Iguess). Samuel was kind of cool but he kind of deserves a more detailed characterization but altogether the game did profit from him. Altogether it is not your typical Metal Gear consistence or in other words this title is "My Metal Gear fanfiction" the game.

The dialogue was not that over the top as some have suggested.

-Doktor was probably the best new character and imo had the most intersting codec bits.
-Sunny's appearance was alright, I guess that's how she would operate in a future like that.
-Raiden had a motive to go Jack the Ripper, but I guess this goes with the lazily crazy category.

I had the most fun with the Monsoon and Arnie Armstrong(that's what I call him from now on) boss battles.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Square + X, its a skill you can purchase.

So, in games like these I tend not to use moves I purchase later on simply because they're not part of my repertoire. Is the dodge really useful enough that I should get over this and learn how to use it? I'm getting by just fine now, but I wonder if I'll need this later on...

RangerBAD

Just got past Monsoon on hard.

The boss fights in this game are on another level entirely.

question,
in the HQ building there are two gun turrets on the balcony, do these serve any purpose
?

To shoot the waves of enemies that come in from the entrance when you're waiting on the elevator. If you stick around and keep taking them out, new waves will come. The furthest I got were the silver backs (also on Hard). Notice there's a lot of rockets and stingers there too.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Finished tonight. Pretty much all of my continues were from failing QTEs (more than half of them were one in the prologue), two were from the final boss.

iSGl96q90kHib.jpg

Loved the game. The end went off the rails in an unexpected way but it was an absolute blast. Chapter 4 was where everything clicked for me and the game became a ton more fun after that. Combat was incredibly satisfying. Looking forward to tearing into the VR missions and other difficulties.

One quick question about a post game unlockable weapon:
Is Sam's sword any different from Raiden's when they're upgraded the same amount?

One quick question about a post game unlockable weapon:
Is Sam's sword any different from Raiden's when they're upgraded the same amount?

It's faster/more powerful, but uses up the Blade Mode energy very quickly.

Still an upgrade over the RF blade, in my book. Made Very Hard pretty managable without being broken and ruining the challenge('sup, FOX Blade)

So, in games like these I tend not to use moves I purchase later on simply because they're not part of my repertoire. Is the dodge really useful enough that I should get over this and learn how to use it? I'm getting by just fine now, but I wonder if I'll need this later on...

I find the dodge better than simply running away from the unblockable hits/grabs. Once you get the timing and direction correct (some moves are better dodged backwards than left/right), it keeps you closer to the enemy. I enjoy platting like that more than ninja running away. Keeps the action fast. Plus the invincibility frames help out with enemies off camera who might be taking a swing.

Fuck, I now realise the music playing during the fist part of the battle with
armstrong
is based on
THE TERMINATOR THEME... DUM DUM DUM DUDUMM

This is crazy shit. And I think I'm starting to love it.

RangerBAD

It's faster/more powerful, but uses up the Blade Mode energy very quickly.

Still an upgrade over the RF blade, in my book. Made Very Hard pretty managable without being broken and ruining the challenge('sup, FOX Blade)

FOX Blade kept ruining my chances of getting left arms. Way overpowered for normal enemies, so I went back to the standard HF blade.

Dartastic

This game is weird. I just beat the first boss at the end of mission 1, and I'm feeling very... button mashy. I'm hoping it improves. I'm kinda lost on parrying, and replenishing your health is so easy to do that i'm basically just running around the map mashing light attack until I can cut a guy open and get full health again. :/

Mr. RHC

Fuck, I now realise the music playing during the fist part of the battle with
armstrong
is based on
THE TERMINATOR THEME... DUM DUM DUM DUDUMM

This is crazy shit. And I think I'm starting to love it.

For what it's worth, the speech of Armstrong is wat and strangely entertaining at the same time.

To shoot the waves of enemies that come in from the entrance when you're waiting on the elevator. If you stick around and keep taking them out, new waves will come. The furthest I got were the silver backs (also on Hard). Notice there's a lot of rockets and stingers there too.

I actually just finished off the entire wave. You just get a battle result -- somehow, it's the first S-rank I've gotten in the game so far, and that was probably the hardest encounter.

mattp

holy shit, wait. so you can use the square + x dodge to dodge offset?
does that mean you can only do it from a square attack since you have to be holding square?(like in bayonetta)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is there no way to restart a level on your first play through? Accidentally cut up a guy who's hand I needed, and I wasn't sure if I cut it properly cause it flew over my head as I was sliding. So I accidentally got a checkpoint :/

For what it's worth, the speech of Armstrong is wat and strangely entertaining at the same time.

The part where he shakes hands with Raiden... I was laughing...For God's Sake, they completely lost it... It's interesting how much Indignation I perceive about the system and politics in general in the speeches of this game...

Restarted the level as suggested... Now I just wanna see what crazy shit they pull out for the ending....

SOLIDUS PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

devil-may-cry-3-20040909003125121.jpg

This party is getting craaazyyyy

joe2187

Banned
holy shit, wait. so you can use the square + x dodge to dodge offset?
does that mean you can only do it from a square attack since you have to be holding square?(like in bayonetta)

Just tap both at the same time, everybody misses the dodge offset...it's criminal...I feel the OT headline should say BUY DODGE OFFSET USE IT WITH LIGHT + HEAVY!

Is there no way to restart a level on your first play through? Accidentally cut up a guy who's hand I needed, and I wasn't sure if I cut it properly cause it flew over my head as I was sliding. So I accidentally got a checkpoint :/

Dont worry about the arms, you're not gonna get them all on your first playthrough.

Top Bottom