• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Okay seriously; screw Mastiffs. They're way too powerful and can get you in an 80%+ combo on Hard. I wish you didn't have to fight so many of them :(

I'm pretty sure the fight against the three mastiffs and two fenrirs in File 4 (on very hard) is literally impossible unless you just cheese them with ripper mode.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, the camera seems like one huge hindrance to me. It auto-corrects for no reason sometimes.

I'm half tempted to make a thread asking people to name a crazier final boss than MGR's.
Dooon't. I've just started the game and I need to experience it for myself first. (Truly, everyone talking about the final boss made me start it and shove Ni no Kuni and DmC aside.)

Seriously. I don't know how you can get more American than that.

18-girls_pw_style-img433x600-1197652464girls12.14__69_.jpg

Is that the one in the
Japanese garden
? Because I just said fuck it and stealthed that part.

I might have gotten the stage number wrong, I meant the one on the stairway where the Fenrirs appear for the first time. I had to do stealth kills on the Mastiffs to make it through.

Playing through on very hard is giving me mixed feelings. I'm not sure how it's supposed to be possible to fight groups of enemies made up of enemies other than standard cyborgs. The camera is broken and I don't think most enemies have audio cues so they can just kill you from off-screen. This does make stealth a pretty big part of the game, though, which surprises me a little.

MormaPope

Banned
The final boss/bosses for the next game should be:

Big Boss
Solidus
Solid Snake
Liquid Snake

Cyborg versions of them manipulated by a new Patriots group called The Blood Party. They will be the new founding fathers of the New United States.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Thanks for the tips guys.

Finally beat Monsoon. Took me 2 hours probably. And I enjoyed every fucking minute of redoing it. I can't remember the last game where being stuck on a boss fight felt so fun and I had no issue redoing it. Jesus fuck this game is incredible.

Lol, you can parry that? I was just running around like a madman.

You can parry anything that doesn't have a yellow glow.

Related pro tip for R-00
You can parry headbutts from RAY during the first fight. The first three times, you can blade mode parts off of him to take chunks of his health. These parts are separate from the parts that you can destroy by attacking his legs. You can also parry his tail and cut it off, giving him a total of 8 parts to destroy (3 head, 2 right leg, 2 left leg, 1 tail). This is especially handy in higher difficulties since he takes less damage per destroyed part.

Not really understanding what I'm doing wrong with the Sundowner fight. I'm lining up my cut in blade mode like it indicates but I get blasted out of it anyway. Help?
Are you sure you aimed correctly so that there's X's in each line of boxes? I thought I had it lined up properly too until I noticed I was actually slight off.
I just ran to the sides, I didn't have time for parries.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Beat the last boss, on hard. Fucking WOW.

That is basically everything I love about video games all in one battle.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So, this game on very hard is indeed very hard. I actually died vs RAY and now the fucking final boss will literally not let me do anything. Jesus he got hyper aggressive or something suddenly.

Whoever designed the final boss or approved of his inclusion in the game is an absolute fucking cunt. One of the shittiest, jankiest fights I've ever had the displeasure of playing. Motherfucker didn't fit in the Metal Gear universe at large, or even when considering Rising itself!

Really baffling design decisions by PG, they really let me down :( I guess Kamiya and Mikami were the sole reasons for Bayonetta's and Vanquish's awesomeness. *sigh*

I mean the game is by no means bad or anything, it's quite good in fact. But it could've been so much more..

How do you get the final boss to say
"Fuck this war, I just want you dead!" or w/e? Didn't hear it.

That's just one of the lines he can say at the start of the fight or after you make it through one of the debris-cutting sequences.

Whoever designed the final boss or approved of his inclusion in the game is an absolute fucking cunt. One of the shittiest, jankiest fights I've ever had the displeasure of playing. Motherfucker didn't fit in the Metal Gear universe at large, or even when considering Rising itself!

Really baffling design decisions by PG, they really let me down :( I guess Kamiya and Mikami were the sole reasons for Bayonetta's and Vanquish's awesomeness. *sigh*

I mean the game is by no means bad or anything, it's quite good in fact. But it could've been so much more..

I don't get where this sentiment comes from. The only bad thing about the fight is how annoying it is to pull off those diagonal cuts. Everything else about the fight is incredible.

Riposte

Looks like the weak got purged.

Mechazawa

The last boss is one of the most charismatic villains I've ever fought.

How do you get the final boss to say
"Fuck this war, I just want you dead!" or w/e? Didn't hear it.

It seemed to happen randomly. Sometimes I'd get it after cutting the metal gear parts, sometimes I think I got it at the beginning of his final form.

WOW people are back and forth about this. I'm anxious to see this myself. After that cutscene before the Monsoon fight though, I think I'm pretty much desensitized to anything.

MormaPope

Banned

Yeah, it could've been a cancelled Kojima project, what an awesome alternative.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is it possible to parry dwarf gekko jumps? They flash red for a second but it doesn't seem like it, unless I'm timing it wrong.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Also after beating it, I think Mistral's theme was definitely the best track in the game. Last boss' was pretty hype too, but I loved hers the most.

haha, I sucked at that. Both times I got the first two swipes I didn't activate blade mode fast enough to finish it off. I'm going to play it again tomorrow and do it right.

I should have practiced "manual" blade mode more.

I had a lot of trouble with that and only succeeded once. I figured the rest of the fight out on my own and did pretty well, but that bit, holy shit. Don't think I would've got past it without eating items lol.

Is it possible to parry dwarf gekko jumps? They flash red for a second but it doesn't seem like it, unless I'm timing it wrong.

If you're unsure about the timing, you can mash the parry out by continuously pressing the left stick toward the attack and light attack at the same time. Can be a bit tiring, but it should work.

Never realized how much I missed good codec messages. Loved everyone's conversations after Mistral blows that kiss at you. Freakin love Courtney and her obession with food too.

Speaking of Courtney anyone happen to have a decent pic of her concept art that you can unlock?

MormaPope

Banned
I beat him on hard, go fuck yourself.

I still thoroughly enjoyed the game and I love Platinum, I never said it should've been cancelled smartass.

You said "it could've been so much more", I find that statement odd due to Platinum having one and a half or two years to redevelop the entire game. What we got was phenomenal for how short the developmental cycle was.

Noi

The only things I'd tweak about the final boss:

Make his flame pillars not last as ridiculously long. A lot of my losses were directly from having really small movement area cause of the pillars and the boss' punches pushing me right into them. We'd often just stare at each other while the pillars went on forever and he sat inside one. :/

Make the boulder toss segments not fail automatically for not slashing correctly only once or make the period allowed to slash them slightly longer.

Maaaaaybe increase the delay for his AoE explosion by a second or two.

Everything else was perfect.

You said "it could've been so much more", I find that statement odd due to Platinum having one and a half or two years to redevelop the entire game. What we got was phenomenal for how short the developmental cycle was.

I'm not complaining about length or amount of content. There are some really bad/weird design decisions that any competent director would've fixed or not included outright, it has nothing to do with a short dev cycle.

Mechazawa

I still thoroughly enjoyed the game and I love Platinum, I never said it should've been cancelled smartass.

"Kamiya and Mikami were the sole reasons for Bayonetta's and Vanquish's awesomeness."

A one two punch of disparaging not only this game, but also the awesome Anarchy Reigns.

You don't get off easily for that shit.

Sky Chief

Wow, this game is so awesome. I haven't really played many games like this but I love MGS so I preordered it and I am so glad I did. So, so fun, I can't stop playing.

MormaPope

Banned
I'm not complaining about length or amount of content. There are some really bad/weird design decisions that any competent director would've fixed or not included outright, it has nothing to do with a short dev cycle.

I wasn't talking about that, I can overlook the oddities and few faults in the game due to how fast Platinum had to get this game made and shipped out.

Noi

You can use the dodge's invincibility frames to hop right through it.

I'm aware, but I could never pull it off consistently because he doesn't give you much time to react to it. Just a second extra would help for both it and running away. That's just me though!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Goddamn it, on Very Hard when you get boxed in a corner by 4 mastiffs all that having 5 nano toothpastes up does is just makes the rape last even longer.

Seriously though, sais are a god send on very hard what unique weapons have you guys found useful?

Top Bottom