• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

deim0s

I only had problems with the camera massively autocorrecting on the Ray fight. Where it targets the head (unreachable most of the time) when you're clearly aiming for the foot.

The only things I'd tweak about the final boss:

Make his flame pillars not last as ridiculously long. A lot of my losses were directly from having really small movement area cause of the pillars and the boss' punches pushing me right into them. We'd often just stare at each other while the pillars went on forever and he sat inside one. :/

Agreed, finding yourself in a cramp position and bounced around eating a couple of repairpastes with it. Mostly I ninja ran it when time allows to find the largest pie.

Make the boulder toss segments not fail automatically for not slashing correctly only once or make the period allowed to slash them slightly longer.

Could be changed to grant you 1, 2, or 4 health items when you get all three. But maybe for balance purposes, since he does the toss move three times(?) in the battle - 1 rapairpaste is already an advantage.

Maaaaaybe increase the delay for his AoE explosion by a second or two.

[]+X twice would get you out of range quick and react back for a couple of slashes.

Jarmel

Banned
Finally beat the final boss. Yea that was bulltshit, the cutting section is beyond annoying. Other than that, he's not that hard. I can't overstate my hatred for the forced cutting sections.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Yeah, with the last boss
dodge back twice was incredibly useful and negated a lot of his power up -> unleash stuff. Just realize you can only get in a couple hits before needing to pull back and you're good.
Don't be greedy, really.

I have a question about Monsoon now that I'm playing through on very hard.
What is the secret to knocking him out of his magnetic mode once he's stunned? In hard, you could just use blade mode and hit him in the head, but I've stunned him six times so far and every time I slash right through that red box in blade mode, nothing happens.

Make the boulder toss segments not fail automatically for not slashing correctly only once or make the period allowed to slash them slightly longer.

I think the only issue here is the blade mode controls. I got killed so many times because I would move the stick from the bottom-right position to the top-left or whatever and the sword just would not swing. The hitboxes on the debris are pretty lenient when you actually get to swing your sword.

I have a question about Monsoon now that I'm playing through on very hard.
What is the secret to knocking him out of his magnetic mode once he's stunned? In hard, you could just use blade mode and hit him in the head, but I've stunned him six times so far and every time I slash right through that red box in blade mode, nothing happens.

I think the only issue here is the blade mode controls. I got killed so many times because I would move the stick from the bottom-right position to the top-left or whatever and the sword just would not swing. The hitboxes on the debris are pretty lenient when you actually get to swing your sword.

For Monsoon, just make sure there's a little crosshair in the red box.

For free cutting in Blade Mode, angle your cut, then simply release the stick and let it snap back to neutral. Don't jam it in the opposite direction.

Ferr986

I feel like Im not playing the game as I should be, Im evading way more than blocking/parry. It feels more reliable as for now.

Finally beat the final boss. Yea that was bulltshit, the cutting section is beyond annoying. Other than that, he's not that hard. I can't overstate my hatred for the forced cutting sections.

I was so pissed at the final cutting as well as I was left with 25% energy only. I would have preferred another boss but you cannot get everything in life

Beat the game(Hard Mode). That Final Boss! At first, I was really frustrated and probably would have agreed with all the people complaining, but then everything clicked and I experienced a euphoria I haven't felt since my first playthrough of Vanquish.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'll try both of those. If that really is how you're supposed to cut, then I'm pretty shocked; I went the whole game without realizing that.

It is, though I have the opposite issue where I would cut too much instead of not at all. A good test is to try slicing enemies one time right down the middle. Going up to down I would always do a second cut when I went for the spine pull.

Hitting down left then letting go makes raiden slash starting at down left to up right, if you go from down left to up right in one finger motion he will do the first slash like normal and then another slash from up right to down left. This was screwing me up a lot on
Sundowner's shield since I needed a single slice to chop bits of it off without hitting the panels.

If you're unsure about the timing, you can mash the parry out by continuously pressing the left stick toward the attack and light attack at the same time. Can be a bit tiring, but it should work.

Yeah, I've been trying this but got nothing so far. Guessing it's just considered a grab without the yellow glow.

Beat the game(Hard Mode). That Final Boss! At first, I was really frustrated and probably would have agreed with all the people complaining, but then everything clicked and I experienced a euphoria I haven't felt since my first playthrough of Vanquish.

Yeah, it went real quick from "This is bullshit" to "I've got it!"

Nemesis_

Quick question for people regarding the lamp.

I went and bought a converter (as it's a US plug, while I live in Australia) however the lamp itself just turned off as soon as I put it on.

The converter and the power pack for the Lamp smell like burning. >_> I assume they are broken now.

Is the lamp itself damaged? I am assuming I can grab another power pack as it uses generic ports and the like and get it working.

I asked the fucking idiot at the electronics store if I needed to convert voltage and she said no, so I TRUSTED HER. I just hope my lamp isn't broken ;________;

There was no burning smell from the lamp.

I just beat the game. I started on hard mode, since I heard normal was too easy.

That last boss. Wow...that was some funny shit. I was entertained. That being said, that boss was hard as a fucking brick.

Really good game! Kind of upsets me their next two games are on the Wii U. :(

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Flashbacks to when Raiden was a child, playing as a child soldier

Trust me the last thing you would want to see is actual scenes of battles where child soldiers are used.

If you want a small inside look at what its like in the real world, highly recommend this book.

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier - By Ishmael Beah (a former child soldier)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0374531269/?tag=neogaf0e-20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K4yhPSQEzo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuYi0apoIJA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kEL_LRBSqk
---

I am so screwed with the last boss fight on hard. 0 repair gels... was bad enough doing the fight with Samuel starting off with no repair gel. Thankfully they left at least 4-5? boxes in the area, but was a bitch getting to them with all of the charge attacks that could reach you if you tried to make a run for them.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Received my game yesterday, started on Hard. I can manage everything but the geckos, restarted I don't know how many times the bladewolf fight because of that sucker >_<

The first chapter? BALLS TO THE FUCKING WALL.

Vek

I went and bought a converter (as it's a US plug, while I live in Australia) however the lamp itself just turned off as soon as I put it on.

The converter and the power pack for the Lamp smell like burning. >_> I assume they are broken now.

Is the lamp itself damaged? I am assuming I can grab another power pack as it uses generic ports and the like and get it working.

I asked the fucking idiot at the electronics store if I needed to convert voltage and she said no, so I TRUSTED HER. I just hope my lamp isn't broken ;________;

Yeah, you definitely needed a proper voltage converter/adapter for use with a foreign appliance (iirc, US uses 110V whereas we're on 240V). You could ask at a travel shop as they likely have more experience with international appliances. No idea on the lamp, but hopefully the adapter burning out first prevented any damage.

Any other Aussies out there get a call/txt from EB Games saying that their pre-order is available? I thought it had been delayed till the 26th, but I got a message and called the shop back - they said that they already had them in and were given the go ahead to release today.

web01

Dude pretty sure you would have needed to use a step down converter and not just an adapter since AUS power is 240V and US power is 110V. You would have fried it instantly when you turned it on.

edit: ooops beaten.

Fuuuuck, I just realized that I could've used the Square/X dodge move against the final boss. Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh, I feel stupid.

It seriously makes the fight 10x easier.

I struggled like crazy on Normal while trying to parry everything he was throwing at me; played on Hard, used the Dodge Offset and took him down in mere minutes while not even losing 60% of my health.

Sajjaja

First playthrough on hard was a challenge, second one is not so much. But hell yeah, beat Sundowner on Hard without getting hit. He was fucking easy as hell.

Spent a good hour and a half trying to do the same with Sam but the fucking fuck lowest I fucking got him was fucking 14%.... FOURTEEN PERCENT MAN!!!! SHIT!!! I shut it off....I'm done for the night....

Doing no damage Monsoon is getting grating, been at this for over an hour but it's tedious to go through the time wasting Magneto tank and chopper tossing. Still, I'm gettin' close now. Accidentally got hit by his second smoke bomb but whittled him to 20%.

Tookay

You said "it could've been so much more", I find that statement odd due to Platinum having one and a half or two years to redevelop the entire game. What we got was phenomenal for how short the developmental cycle was.

So do you contextualize the quality of all games in such a way?

"This shovelware was great, considering the shoestring budget it got!"

The Platinum defense force on this site has gotten weird.

Parakeetman

Doing no damage Monsoon is getting grating, been at this for over an hour but it's tedious to go through the time wasting Magneto tank and chopper tossing. Still, I'm gettin' close now. Accidentally got hit by his second smoke bomb but whittled him to 20%.

They should have made it so if you shoot the smarmy bastard while hes perched up high with a rocket or missile that it stops the whole idiotic sequence. More the giant wheel of crap, than the tossing of random repair gel filled junk.

Ken

So the final boss:
how do you slice the stuff that he throws at you in blade mode? I mean, is there something special to aligning it?

MormaPope

Banned
So do you contextualize the quality of all games in such a way?

"This shovelware was great, considering the shoestring budget it got!"

The Platinum defense force on this site has gotten weird.

What the hell are you talking about, I was questioning another poster's expectations for Rising. I didn't even dismiss his complaints.

Platinum defense force? Are you shitting me? Sorry I have expectations based on the developmental history, I guess that's taboo or something for you.

Loved this game. Beat it in about 7 hours. Died 100 times, mostly from the last boss. Took me 2 hours to beat that god forsaken behemoth. Played on hard mode.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I cannot believe i am at the end of the game now. wow so fast and i love it except the escape mini games. Finally unlocked the fox blade's hidden potential now everyone is salami.

Nemesis_

Yeah, you definitely needed a proper voltage converter/adapter for use with a foreign appliance (iirc, US uses 110V whereas we're on 240V). You could ask at a travel shop as they likely have more experience with international appliances. No idea on the lamp, but hopefully the adapter burning out first prevented any damage.

Any other Aussies out there get a call/txt from EB Games saying that their pre-order is available? I thought it had been delayed till the 26th, but I got a message and called the shop back - they said that they already had them in and were given the go ahead to release today.

Dude pretty sure you would have needed to use a step down converter and not just an adapter since AUS power is 240V and US power is 110V. You would have fried it instantly when you turned it on.

edit: ooops beaten.

Went down to Dick Smith. They sold me a power pack that is Australian. Works perfectly. I am so relieved.

So for someone who completed Batonetta and Vanquish on hard, not 'god hard' mind, would you say the difficulty is comparable?

What should I start on?

The demo seemed easy, although the boss was slightly challenging. I noticed some posters with early copies were saying the game felt very easy, but more recent posts have said the game is pretty brutal.

Thoughts?

So for someone who completed Batonetta and Vanquish on hard, not 'god hard' mind, would you say the difficulty is comparable?

What should I start on?

The demo seemed easy, although the boss was slightly challenging. I noticed some posters with early copies were saying the game felt very easy, but more recent posts have said the game is pretty brutal.

Thoughts?

Start on hard.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

What should I start on?

Thoughts?

Hard=Normal for this game as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks guys. Off to pick up my steel book preorder now, then I shall begin on hard. Do you get hard specific trophies like Platinum's other games?

Fabrik

Banned
Budget maybe. MadWorld was their breakout title, and long enough given they needed to get something out the door. Infinite Space was made with Nude Maker and was plenty long. Then was Bayonetta, their big 360/PS3 blockbuster action game. It was in development for two and a half years.

Vanquish and Anarchy Reigns were still tethered to SEGA. Love both, but I'm not confident SEGA cared as much as they did circa Bayonetta for budget reasons. Revengeance is Konami, and I maintain the belief that Platinum was on a tight schedule to pick up KojiPro's slack, so I can understand the relatively short length (though it makes up for it in VR and unlockables in my opinion).

I don't know their internal workings and I don't pretend to, but because I'm on the internet I'll hazard a guess and say they haven't had a development cycle and budget as meaty as Bayonetta since Bayonetta. I guess we'll have to see how Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101 shape up.

That's my sentiment also. But I'm confident The Wonderful 101 will be very polished. It looks it has been in the oven for quite some time. And I'm sure Nintendo will let them the time they need.

I said this when the demo went live, but why there's no option to disable auto correcting is beyond me. If the camera isn't locked on to something it will almost always try to auto correct to a set perspective as you navigate the environments. That's why you cant loosely turn it and leave it, instead having to continually wrestle it back to your chosen perspective. One little step in any direction will begin the auto correct.

Yeah it's a letdown. Bayonetta's camera was almost perfect. You turned it to the correct spot and it stayed more or less there. I don't know what happened here, MGR is using an "evolved" Bayonetta's engine no?

What should I start on?

Thoughts?

I'd say it compares pretty well to Bayonetta.

Finally, no damage Monsoon is done after three hours. Slicing him up was cathartic after that. I can go to sleep a champion, until I have to continue this tomorrow.

Ferr986

What should I start on?

Thoughts?

I would say it depens on your block/parry skills. If you're good at it, normal is a cakewalk. If you struggle to do it I guess it could have some challenges in it (still not too hard).

Problem is that theres a LOT of health items. Im currently playing on Normal, but avoiding using them. Is still a little on the easy side but I have not complete it yet.

I have another save on Hard (only on ch.02) and its def. harder than normal Bayo (hard Bayo is still harder). It may be that im not so good on parry though.

Nemesis_

VR MISSION 18

iET3Lg1DTugEI.gif

abfivewbifsedufbeibgibd

Also, here is my lamp

ibpXyS3SpTt5i9.gif

It makes the final boss soooooo much easier. Offensive Defense is a Godsend for the last fight, seriously.
I already beat the game, but yeah I can imagine it making the fight easier. I forgot about it COMPLETELY and tried to jump/Ninja Run away in the middle of combos. At least I beat him without too much trouble, thank goodness.

Parakeetman

One thing that Id like to give a big fuck you to platinum games for is putting the dizzy recovery on the goddamned analog sticks.

Devs do us all a huge favor and dont use input methods that could damage the controller. Use the fucking buttons please, not the analog sticks as they can break with unnecessary stupidity like thrashing the sticks around as an input method.

Top Bottom