• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Riposte

Did 8-4 write the english script for this game or did they translate it into Japanese?

Two missed opportunities in the typical "rival" boss fight:

1. They should have had it so you finish the boss fight by
using blade mode to perform seppuku on Sam (i.e. slashing his gut, then jumping behind him and beheading him in a semi-respectable manner (lol).

2. Blade mode vs Blade mode.

I want another one.

at the last boss, kind of disappointed this is so short; second half feels ultra rushed. i don't get why platinum has yet to make anything as robust as Bayonetta.

Did 8-4 write the english script for this game or did they translate it into Japanese?

Two missed opportunities in the typical "rival" boss fight:

1. They should have had it so you finish the boss fight by
using blade mode to perform seppuku on Sam (i.e. slashing his gut, then jumping behind him and beheading him in a semi-respectable manner (lol).

2. Blade mode vs Blade mode.

I want another one.

Yeah, the first thing I thought after seeing the credits was "wow, I hope they get the chance to make another one".

I think the only boss I'm really dreading a no damage run on is Monsoon because of how annoying and quick he is. Fortunately for me, I'm tackling that right now. :C

Hah, the grenade subweapon one is pretty bad. I got a bronze, I'm not sure how the hell they expect me to get gold on that shit.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the very short times on the "reach the marker" missions.

One of them has a gold of 30 seconds, and from the outset you have to pass guns, RPGs, and a freakin' tank. There's some trick to it, but god knows what it is.

BP farming for the impatient before you trigger the bipedal stage of the fight against the transformable turret tank which you run into after after you find out in a codec with courtney that
george, the boy you saved
is missing, there is a dark blue box with a buttload of bp..loot, costomize, then oh hi mark, it starts you on the fight again and the box is there again for the looting. Found this out after spending 30 minutes farming the gekko's earlier in the level -__-

I'm grabbing the collectibles and such in Normal before tackling Revengeance mode.

It plays so damn well. It's good to have a developer like Platinum around.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
at the last boss, kind of disappointed this is so short; second half feels ultra rushed. i don't get why platinum has yet to make anything as robust as Bayonetta.

Budget maybe. MadWorld was their breakout title, and long enough given they needed to get something out the door. Infinite Space was made with Nude Maker and was plenty long. Then was Bayonetta, their big 360/PS3 blockbuster action game. It was in development for two and a half years.

Vanquish and Anarchy Reigns were still tethered to SEGA. Love both, but I'm not confident SEGA cared as much as they did circa Bayonetta for budget reasons. Revengeance is Konami, and I maintain the belief that Platinum was on a tight schedule to pick up KojiPro's slack, so I can understand the relatively short length (though it makes up for it in VR and unlockables in my opinion).

I don't know their internal workings and I don't pretend to, but because I'm on the internet I'll hazard a guess and say they haven't had a development cycle and budget as meaty as Bayonetta since Bayonetta. I guess we'll have to see how Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101 shape up.

Nemesis_

Hah, the grenade subweapon one is pretty bad. I got a bronze, I'm not sure how the hell they expect me to get gold on that shit.

I've 1st Ranked every single mission except this one - which I can't even complete.

It's the 1 Hit Kill that's doing me in. The wolf especially. Sometimes you can trick it into killing all the enemies with it's projectiles, but it's far too risky since if he hits you then you're dead. And running in to get him to cancel the projectile is also risky.

It's odd though - the trick I used to beat the dogs in Mission 19 (a three hit combo from Pincers would let me QTE Zandatsu him) doesn't seem to work in Mission 18

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Also, and I'm sure people have noticed this, but the best way to free civilians is with grenades and rockets. Stealth can be tricky as one little fuck up and they'll execute the dude. Punt a grenade or rocket directly at the soldiers holding the guy hostage and they'll all shift their attention towards you. Kill 'em, free the dude.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Also, and I'm sure people have noticed this, but the best way to free civilians is with grenades and rockets. Stealth can be tricky as one little fuck up and they'll execute the dude. Punt a grenade or rocket directly at the soldiers holding the guy hostage and they'll all shift their attention towards you. Kill 'em, free the dude.

Yeah I had to do that in
the escape from Denver
to even save him.

jett

D-Member

It's easier to throw an EM grenade at them . I'd say only about two hostages require that.

Soooo...

Chapter 2 and endgame spoilers:
Raiden just kind of chops that kid George in half, right? I mean, he's a normal kid in chp.2, then he shows up in the end with a cyborg arm/shoulder and the artwork shows him nearly all cyborg.

He did tell Raiden not to worry about what happened to him... looks like Raiden sliced him from his right shoulder to the left-bottom of his ribcage.

Yep. The codec conversations at beginning of Chapter 3 goes deep in that.

Is also the resurgence of his Jack The Ripper personality

deim0s

I don't know their internal workings and I don't pretend to, but because I'm on the internet I'll hazard a guess and say they haven't had a development cycle and budget as meaty as Bayonetta since Bayonetta. I guess we'll have to see how Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101 shape up.

Seeing their celebration and a another meeting with Minami when MGR went gold. I'm optimistic that we'll see another P+ and KojiPro team up in the future.

MormaPope

Banned

You can safe those people? Do you get a bonus on your score or an item?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the very short times on the "reach the marker" missions.

One of them has a gold of 30 seconds, and from the outset you have to pass guns, RPGs, and a freakin' tank. There's some trick to it, but god knows what it is.

Oh, that one?
Hint: Use one of your custom weapons

Seeing their celebration and a another meeting with Minami when MGR went gold. I'm optimistic that we'll see another P+ and KojiPro team up in the future.

I want a sequel just to see what Saito and this crazy crew can do without the pressure of "saving" the game. A "normal" dev cycle + building off of this game + next gen = DROOL

Riposte

I liked all the main characters in this game. It is neat talking to
Sunny

Manga-reading security guard is secret best character.

Thanks. Is there a way for me to
get him vulnerable to hits when his body is splitting to dodge my attacks outside of using EM grenades?

Perfect parry/counter near him will trigger blade mode on him, you basically need to bait him into using his easy to parry sai attack and make sure you're close to him when the counter attack comes out

Welcome to action games.

Rising's camera is unbelievably bad even compared to other 3D action games. I get that making a camera for a game like this has to be really difficult, but the amount of times I've locked on to an enemy only to have the camera face in the completely opposite direction is unbelievable. It even makes it impossible to parry sometimes because the camera just moves around randomly even if you're not locked on or touching the right stick.

Yeah, most action games have bad cameras, but Rising's is practically non-functional.

Guess Who

Banned
get him vulnerable to hits when his body is splitting to dodge my attacks outside of using EM grenades?

As with everything else in this game, the best way
to get him out of that form without grenades
is to - you guessed it - parry.

GenoZStriker

Neo Member
This game man! Certainly felt like a roller coaster ride and a very fun one. I am sad that it had to end. I really liked the game. Regardless of Platinum Games working on it and absolutely loving Bayonetta, I was a bit skeptical of MGR. But the game is certainly the best action-adventure game I have played since Bayonetta came out. I loved the mixed characters and the different personalities. Boss battles were very memorable and I loved that they did not tone it down craziness of it and had bunch of WTF moments it.

I certainly think that there is a future for the Rising saga if they choose to give it one. MGR did a lot of things right but it can also improve in many areas - especially the camera and the parry system - to make the game much better.

MormaPope

Banned
I want to a sequel just to see what Saito and this crazy crew can do without the pressure of "saving" the game. A "normal" dev cycle + building off of this game + next gen = DROOL

What I want to see in the sequel:

Dual wielding swords, both analog sticks are used for cutting in blade mode, meaning double the cuts

Battling multiple Metal Gear Rays at the same time

Keep the story really self contained, loved how self contained Revengeance's story was

Flashbacks to when Raiden was a child, playing as a child soldier

EatChildren

Rising's camera is unbelievably bad even compared to other 3D action games. I get that making a camera for a game like this has to be really difficult, but the amount of times I've locked on to an enemy only to have the camera face in the completely opposite direction is unbelievable. It even makes it impossible to parry sometimes because the camera just moves around randomly even if you're not locked on or touching the right stick.

Yeah, most action games have bad cameras, but Rising's is practically non-functional.

I said this when the demo went live, but why there's no option to disable auto correcting is beyond me. If the camera isn't locked on to something it will almost always try to auto correct to a set perspective as you navigate the environments. That's why you cant loosely turn it and leave it, instead having to continually wrestle it back to your chosen perspective. One little step in any direction will begin the auto correct.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Dual wielding swords, both analog sticks are used for cutting, meaning double the cuts

Keep the story really self contained, loved how self contained Revengeance's story was

Gawd I'm ready to cut and take right now.

Riposte

Dual wielding swords, both analog sticks are used for cutting, meaning double the cuts

More
Sunny
and Wolf. More punching.

I'm half tempted to make a thread asking people to name a crazier final boss than MGR's.

Guess Who

Banned
I said this when the demo went live, but why there's no option to disable auto correcting is beyond me. If the camera isn't locked on to something it will almost always try to auto correct to a set perspective as you navigate the environments. That's why you cant loosely turn it and leave it, instead having to continually wrestle it back to your chosen perspective. One little step in any direction will begin the auto correct.

God yes, it's so frustrating. On top of that, I swear to god sometimes I'll be locked on to an enemy and it will just decide without warning to lock on to a completely different enemy instead.

If you wait long enough he seems to go into stun himself. Also if you perfect parry his main body it'll also stun him (if you perfect parry an elongated limb it usually just makes that limb go limp).

Dead

well not really...yet
I think Ive figured the strategy for the last boss

Gonna calm my nerves and go back at it tomorrow

MormaPope

Banned
More
Sunny
and Wolf. More punching.

I'm half tempted to make a thread asking people to name a crazier final boss than MGR's.

Final Boss spoilers
Seeing Raiden getting punched that hard and that much by Armstrong made me wince, I was legitimately afraid of the dude during the cutscenes. I actually felt really bad for Raiden during the final cutscenes, I believe his pain inhibitors were still off also.

Top Bottom