• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Guess Who

Banned
Man, is it just me, or
is the Sundowner boss fight incredibly easy? I was frustrated at first, but if you get behind him, slice like crazy, and just use the dodge on his attacks then it becomes an absolute cakewalk. Monsoon was way harder.

Bedlam

That's right, and you don't even have to have perfect timing to do it. When you are rushed by Monsoon, or parrying the spin attack by those quadroped things that you first meet in the sewer, just mash the parry command as fast as you are being attacked and it seems to work.
I beat the game on hard a couple of hours ago but I'm still a little confused about the whole parry thing. I got normal parrying down. As you said, the timing window is rather forgiving. But then I keep reading that there's the exact parry which triggers a blade mode event or something. I believe I did this a couple of times but I'm not really sure. Some of those mechanics are not really clear to me. Are there really two tiers of parrying so to speak?

Salaadin

i think this game could have really benefited from a god of war style camera system
being able to see 360 degrees around yourself at all times is so important for making sure you can parry incoming attacks

I agree. Thats relly my biggest problem right now -- getting attacked by enemies that I cant see or being unable to parry correctly because the camera shifts around.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I beat the game on hard a couple of hours ago but I'm still a little confused about the whole parry thing. I got normal parrying down. As you said, the timing window is rather forgiving. But then I keep reading that there's the exact parry which triggers a blade mode event or something. I believe I did this a couple of times but I'm not really sure. Some of those mechanics are not really clear to me. Are there really two tiers of parrying so to speak?

Yeah, there are. If you do a perfect parry, Raiden will perform a counter upperslash automatically. If the counter attack connects, you'll see a prompt to press Y+B or corresponding PS3 buttons. Then, depending on the enemy type you'll either flip them up into the air for an aerial Zandatsu, or just do a regular Zandatsu. For high health enemies, this doesn't always work... sometimes I think they need to be weakened slightly for the counterattack to initiate the Zandatsu.

You can also perfect parry bosses, and with certain bosses it initiates a Zandatsu during certain phases. Other times, the counterattack just hits for damage.

It's dependent on timing. A perfect parry involves parrying as soon as the opponent's strike is about the connect with Raiden. Think Royal Guard or Issen.

mattp

the "parrying" you're doing is really just blocking
if you time the parry properly you actually deflect the attack and can counter

McNum

Just finished R-01 on Normal. Needed a break after that, game demands attention. So far it's pretty good, but either Normal is fairly forgiving, or I'm better at this kind of game than I expected, because while it wasn't pretty, the
Mistral
battle wasn't that hard either. Just parried the close attack, dodged the far ones, and went all slash-happy when there was an opening. Of course knocking Raiden INTO health packs may not have been
Mistral's
smartest tactic...

Next up:
The obligatory sewer level. With Wolf.

I do like how much the Codec can be used in this. Doktor is just appropriately eccentric, and the rest of the team have their own quirks, too.

Bedlam

Yeah, there are. If you do a perfect parry, Raiden will perform a counter upperslash automatically. If the counter attack connects, you'll see a prompt to press Y+B or corresponding PS3 buttons. Then, depending on the enemy type you'll either flip them up into the air for an aerial Zandatsu, or just do a regular Zandatsu. For high health enemies, this doesn't always work... sometimes I think they need to be weakened slightly for the counterattack to initiate the Zandatsu.

You can also perfect parry bosses, and with certain bosses it initiates a Zandatsu during certain phases. Other times, the counterattack just hits for damage.

It's dependent on timing. A perfect parry involves parrying as soon as the opponent's strike is about the connect with Raiden. Think Royal Guard or Issen.
Thanks for confirming/explaining!

the "parrying" you're doing is really just blocking
if you time the parry properly you actually deflect the attack and can counter
Yeah, as I said ... I did this a couple of times. But I wasn't really sure if it was the exact parry that triggered the event or if it was just because the enemy was low on health or something.

Anyway, great game. I'm definitely gonna hold onto it and play through it several times more.

My two biggest gripes/disappointments:

1. Left-stick-waggling is the worst.

When I saw Raiden mounting the bike and the badass intro for the next chapter, I was getting ready for a Bayonetta-style driving stage. Too bad there wasn't one. It would've been fucking great with that music and the desert setting. I had Road Rash and Full Throttle flashbacks.

Just finished on PS3. My god, what a ride. That last boss battle was hard at first, then I got my timing down and it just clicked perfectly. And now with New Game+, I'm just whupping dat ass with no problem. This game is so damn good...

NANOMACHINES, SON!!!

Defunkled

Thanks! But I just did it.

Just out of interest though, what did it say for Mission 18?

MY FUCKING HANDS

I feel your pain. I'm making my way through the missions right now and these record times are BRUTAL. I'm only on Mission 5, the first one where you have to kill the Dwarf Gekkos with grenades. How did you get the record time on that one? Also, is it damn near impossible to get the record times on all the missions? Or just time consuming?

Neiteio

This game.

THIS GAME.

Just beat Sam. It took me like 100 tries, but I did it in one sitting. INCREDIBLE. The setting, the lighting, the music, the way you can slowly circle each other at the start, staring each other down, never quite sure when he'll make his move (unless you strike first)... You pay $60 for this game, and this battle alone is PRICELESS. Really, every boss battle is -- I did Sundowner the same session and found that incredibly in its own right.

This game, man.

EDIT: Also, HELL NO to the calls for a GOW-style camera. Yeah, you don't always see one opponent when you're fighting another, but I much prefer being up close to the action and seeing Raiden and his enemies in great detail, as opposed to the more distant, removed and diluted approach of GOW's camera. It's so much more exciting this way.

Nemesis_

This game.

THIS GAME.

Just beat Sam. It took me like 100 tries, but I did it in one sitting. INCREDIBLE. The setting, the lighting, the music, the way you can slowly circle each other at the start, staring each other down, never quite sure when he'll make his move (unless you strike first)... You pay $60 for this game, and this battle alone is PRICELESS. Really, every boss battle is -- I did Sundowner the same session and found that incredibly in its own right.

This game, man.

Platinum, renowned for its high quality, is a metal that keeps its luster forever. It was with this property in mind that we named our company PlatinumGames Inc.

ibk6QAVW8GUuUu.gif

Pray to your GOD

Carbonox

A fair few fights I've missed throughout the game without realising. Gonna make sure I get them on my next run.

Also the final boss...lolwat.

Bedlam

EDIT: Also, HELL NO to the calls for a GOW-style camera. Yeah, you don't always see one opponent when you're fighting another, but I much prefer being up close to the action and seeing Raiden and his enemies in great detail, as opposed to the more distant, removed and diluted approach of GOW's camera. It's so much more exciting this way.
Completely agree. And I go even further: I like fixed camera angles in these kind of games. It makes the action so much more cinematic and was never bothered by fighting stuff that is off screen for a moment. Fighting offscreen enemies is basically a crucial Ninja Gaiden skill you have to master.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Props to Jamie Christopherson for the very memorable soundtrack.

I haven't really cared much for metal since I was a young teen, but goddamn, do the tracks in this game get me pumped.

I copped the soundtrack. I had to.

Mr. RHC

Props to Jamie Christopherson for the very memorable soundtrack.

I think he wrote all the lyrics for the songs . They surely were the highlight of the soundtrack for me.

At some moments I always thought now the Peace Walker main theme kicks in but that's probably just me, lol.

StuBurns

Banned
Played the opening maybe hour? A little passed where the demo ends.

I don't like it at all, tons of really horrible cutscenes, the camera is a hate crime, way too many flashy bullshit bits, and fundamentally the combat isn't fun to me.

Super disappointing.

mattp

Completely agree. And I go even further: I like fixed camera angles in these kind of games. It makes the action so much more cinematic and was never bothered by fighting stuff that is off screen for a moment. Fighting offscreen enemies is basically a crucial Ninja Gaiden skill you have to master.

so you prefer "cinematic" camera vs something that's better for gameplay? seems weird to prefer something superficial over something more functional in a game based purely around it's mechanics

the last thing i want to do is manage a camera in the middle of a fight

Mr. RHC

From the Jamie Christopherson website about Metal Gear Rising, (! if already posted)

http://www.jamiechristopherson.com/Projects/Games/MetalGearRising.html
In addition to composing the score, I was also commissioned to write 13 original vocal songs.

With action-packed gameplay this intense, we knew that the music for MGR:R had to be something really different from previous Metal Gear games. Collaborating with talented musicians and vocalists from across the globe, we wrote hardcore electronic/metal songs that would lyrically and sonically mirror the game storyline during boss battles.

The culminating result is something I'm really proud of and definitely puts the 'metal' in the Metal Gear series.

Jarmel

Banned
This game.

THIS GAME.

This game, man.

Sam is the easiest boss fight in the game, mostly because there are no bullshit mechanics that you have to deal with.

Sajjaja

I don't like it at all, tons of really horrible cutscenes, the camera is a hate crime, way too many flashy bullshit bits, and fundamentally the combat isn't fun to me.

Super disappointing.

Sounds like you suck at this game.

Skilletor

Sundowner was stupid easy, but it was still a great boss fight.

Monsoon takes it so far.

Just want to be done with normal so I can try again on hard.

Sam is the easiest boss fight in the game, mostly because there are no bullshit mechanics that you have to deal with.

Can't be easier than sundowner. Dodge, slash, dodge, slash, hahaha.

Neiteio

so you prefer "cinematic" camera vs something that's better for gameplay? seems weird to prefer something superficial over something more functional in a game based purely around it's mechanics

The close camera is not "superficial" at all. Feeling like you're right there beside Raiden as he rockets into each fight, sliding into fools or launching down at them, is INTEGRAL to the appeal of this game. Pull back the camera anymore and the game is no longer hard-hitting; it would have the soft spongy feel of all games with an overhead/faraway camera. And in terms of the functionality of the close camera, work within it -- anticipate enemies, move more, sidestep more, jump more. Slide out of close quarters to give yourself some breathing room; lure enemies to choke points; cycle between lock-on targets with the stick. It's really not a problem, and the gain in intensity and hard-hitting impact makes the close camera a godsend. This could've been another featherweight fighter, but you're truly in the thick of the brawl. Fucking fantastic.

Bedlam

Great gameplay and fixed camera angles are not mutually exclusive. I was just never bothered by fixed camera angles. DMC1 had great gameplay (still great) and so does Lords of Shadow.

Camera functionality as in MGR, NG etc. is fine, too. But what I really don't want is a camera that is fixed behind the player character as in the Gears games, for example.

Neiteio

Sam was the hardest for me. I beat Bladewolf, Mistral and Monsoon on my first try; Sundowner took me a number of attempts until I realized what I had to do after breaking through his defenses. The bosses with "gimmicks" made it more discernible how to exploit patterns and such.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's mad easy so far.

I think the cutscenes get better, but ultimately they're there for absurdity's sake. The camera really was a non-issue for me. It seems like something that everyone complains about in every third person action game ever with a few exceptions.

The real question is why the combat isn't clicking with you or fun, since that's the most important thing. What were you expecting versus what you're actually finding in the game?

Jarmel

Banned
Can't be easier than sundowner. Dodge, slash, dodge, slash, hahaha.

Much much easier. Those fucking helicopters screwing up my perfect streak make it more annoying. Also the bullshit with the shield also can be annoying.

I literally air juggled Sam for most of his healthbar.

It's really not a problem

It is a problem, but it's just something you have to work around. And even there, pray to god you don't fight anybody in any enclosed areas, because the camera WILL get stuck on that wall, it WILL autocorrect to an enemy I'm not even facing towards, it WILL decide to turn away from the enemies I JUST turned the camera towards while I'm maneuvering.

It's a bad camera system, but it's not impossible to manage. Like RE6!

Skilletor

Much much easier. Those fucking helicopters screwing up my perfect streak make it more annoying. Also the bullshit with the shield also can be annoying.

You don't have to bother with the shield. I was trying to fight him that way, but I hate trying to be precise in blade mode, so I said fuck that. Just stay close to him and dodge when he swings.

I had lots of heat seeking missiles, so the helicopters weren't a bother.

I haven't had a single issue with the camera. I guess playing NG games has conditioned me.

StuBurns

Banned
The real question is why the combat isn't clicking with you or fun, since that's the most important thing. What were you expecting versus what you're actually finding in the game?
I just don't think it's good. I don't think the parry system, met with the horrible camera is good, I don't think the slicing is fun or rewarding, I don't think the enemies are interesting. I just don't think it's remotely good so far.

But I see this thread is quite the viper's nest for criticism, so I'll come back in six months when everyone's calmed down.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just gonna put in my 2 cents here about how wiggling sticks is fucking bullshit. It's like there's no rhyme or rhythm to it, sometimes ill palm the left stick and wiggle at a maniacal speed and I still won't escape the QTE or whatever. It's quite dumb.

demidar

I just don't think it's good. I don't think the parry system, met with the horrible camera is good, I don't think the slicing is fun or rewarding, I don't think the enemies are interesting. I just don't think it's remotely good so far.

But I see this thread is quite the viper's nest for criticism, so I'll come back in six months when everyone's calmed down.

*Throws incendiary comments, doesn't like it when it's thrown back*

jett

D-Member

Super disappointing.

If you didn't like the demo why did you even bother with the game? The demo is really the perfect presentation of what the game is about.

Know though that you're alone regarding your comment on the combat being "crap". Six months from now there won't suddenly be an influx of people that agree with you.

Jarmel

Banned
You don't have to bother with the shield. I was trying to fight him that way, but I hate trying to be precise in blade mode, so I said fuck that. Just stay close to him and dodge when he swings.

I had lots of heat seeking missiles, so the helicopters weren't a bother.

I haven't had a single issue with the camera. I guess playing NG games has conditioned me.

Sundowner isn't hard to beat, it's more about trying to get a perfect off of him. The shots from the helicopters are an automatic restart. The hardest boss fight for me in general other than the final boss was definitely Mistral due to the damn dward-gekkos.

Final boss is ridiculous. I beat every boss on the first try pretty easily (playing on Hard) but this guy just seems impossible right now. Don't have any nanopaste either

Can't imagine how hard this is to S-rank on revengeance

Neiteio

It's a bad camera system, but it's not impossible to manage. Like RE6!
I haven't had problems with either game's camera. Sorry to hear you struggle. :)

On another note, this game's story is fucking crazy. I'm still not sure if the, uh, "brains" are literal brains, computer brains, or...?

StuBurns

Banned
If you didn't like the demo why did you even bother with the game? The demo is really the perfect presentation of what the game is about.
I thought the demo showed potential, and Platinum and the Metal Gear franchise have both produced amazing games.
Know though that you're alone regarding your comment on the combat being "crap". Six months from now there won't suddenly be an influx of people that agree with you.
Quite true, but criticism won't be written off with moronic comments like 'you must be crap at it'.

Top Bottom