• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Sajjaja

Having a guard button that you can hold down gives enough defensive ability to fundamentally change the flow of combat. Neither better or worse, but the parry system forces the player to spend more time attacking rather than waiting/guarding.

Which is why its awesome. It is an action game after all, not an RTS. You wanna be fucking as much shit up as you can, not waiting around. The parry system as a lot more dynamic to the combat.

Just wanted to pop in here and say I'm fucking loving this game, it's just simply fun, satisfying, and looks and moves fucking unbelievable. Don't know why the PS4 is needed with these kinds of graphics. Just gorgeous. I barely play console games anymore, it's the 1st game I've bought in close to a year, had to dust off my PS3, but it's exactly the kind of experience I'm looking for. I don't have the patience for the complex/stealth style of MGS gameplay anymore, but love the MG universe, so I know I had to have this. I'm not gonna read anything else in this thread cause I assume people are bitching about everything that I couldn't give 2 shits about. Even after a few combat is still ridiculously fun and satisfying.

PS- playing on easy mode.

EDIT:Ok, one gripe. Both the lines and voice acting are horrible. WAR IS BAD. KILLING IS BAD. Ok, I get it. The pseudo intellectual/philosophical stuff is just eye-rollingly bad each time.

joe2187

Banned
Because the game doesnt want you holding a block button? The way this game does it is beautiful. Feels more natural.

Executing a perfect parry is also rewarded greatly, got swarmed by a five bigger sword wielding cyborgs, got perfect parries on all of them, stunned them and gout five zandatsus in a row.

GET OFF!!!!!!!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yep trying to kill the last boss on hard with no HP recovery items was a bad idea.

Naw son you can do it no problem, with at least 150% hp on hard it is just really exhilarating just manage to do 60% damage to him to get to the first rock cutting phase and fucking slash ALL THE ROCKS perfectly and get the 3 nano tooth pastes.

From there if you're still really unsure you can proceed just pull up the codec and customize and back out to save those 3 toothpastes. You can pull through bro, believeeee.

There are still occasions when the camera ends up in a terrible place for me, but it doesn't happen nearly often enough that I would blame it for my failures in the game.

I really think the camera is at its absolute worst during r04, the fucking
japanese garden and office building
segments in that chapter really make the camera go fucking nuts some times.

Neiteio

I can confirm 8-4 did the english localization (and not the other way around) for this game from another thread. Props for them, that final boss has so many great quotes.
8-4 did a fantastic job with Fire Emblem: Awakening. Awesome to hear they worked on this game's localization, as well. Also, in general I find this game's storytelling to be orders of magnitude improved from MGS4. Not that that's much of an accomplishment, but still.

Regarding parrying... It's brilliant! The fact you have to thrust in the direction of an incoming attack, and attack at the same time keeps the flow moving forward, forward, forward. A good offense is a good defense -- literally so when you're ninja-running straight into bullets to block them, or swinging at even the mightiest mech to absorb its stomp attack. That sense of heavyweights colliding, impact against impact, CLANG CLANG, is just so... *dreamy sigh*

Noi

From there if you're still really unsure you can proceed just pull up the codec and customize and back out to save those 3 toothpastes. You can pull through bro, believeeee.

Or you can call Courtney to save and not lose the progress you've done on the boss. :p

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Naw son you can do it no problem, with at least 150% hp on hard it is just really exhilarating just manage to do 60% damage to him to get to the first rock cutting phase and fucking slash ALL THE ROCKS perfectly and get the 3 nano tooth pastes.

Went and just plowed through normal mode, so after seeing how the boss fight goes basically yeah only option is to take down that rock. Though do hate how you need to do multiple cuts to it, but am curious if the time you are given to line up the slashes is the same as normal as it is on hard.

Noi

Really? This works in the middle of bossfights? Mid-phase?

You only save the checkpoint of course, so if you lose you have to re-start no matter what, but it's the difference between starting with 0 Nanopastes and starting with 5.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I really think the camera is at its absolute worst during r04, the fucking
japanese garden and office building
segments in that chapter really make the camera go fucking nuts some times.

Yeah, that area was the most recent spot I had trouble with the camera. Probably not coincidentally, they throw a lot of serious enemies at you, which makes the camera's failings very dangerous.

Maybe when I try very hard mode I'll hate the camera, too. So far on hard, though, it's workable.

MCD

If I just said "Stop being so terrible" I'd be banned on the spot.

You can say it as the mod already said it to me.

And I am free to express my opinion against the parry system. I just HATE using the sticks to parry. I prefer the old fashioned way of fucking buttons.

RkOwnage

I'm on the last level as well, and I have no recovery items. There's no way to BUY nanopastes? This is ridiculous, I feel like I am going to be stuck here forever...

I can't dodge any of his attacks, but when I block/parry them I take damage, and it's becoming too much over time. I am not the greatest at the game, so I am having a bit of a struggle, any advice, tips to beating this bastard?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm on the last level as well, and I have no recovery items. There's no way to BUY nanopastes? This is ridiculous, I feel like I am going to be stuck here forever...

I can't dodge any of his attacks, but when I block/parry them I take damage, and it's becoming too much over time. I am not the greatest at the game, so I am having a bit of a struggle, any advice, tips to beating this bastard?

None really besides getting him down to the point where he tosses a piece of his "sweet ride" at you which if you manage to do the multiple precision cut downs to it will eventually lead to a few nano pastes dropping.

I haven't had any problems with the camera. :)

Because you have not had any problems with it does not mean that there isnt one. Since truthfully out of all the Platinum action games, this one by far does have the worst camera in it for some reason

demidar

And I am free to express my opinion against the parry system. I just HATE using the sticks to parry. I prefer the old fashioned way of fucking buttons.

Mods have special powers :/

I'd love to tear your stance to pieces, but I'm too busy sitting on my thumbs waiting for the game to be shipped to me. :(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Do you have difficulty pointing in a direction and pressing a button simultaneously?

Parries have always been direction + a button. A guard button that blocks everything irregardless of direction would be dumb and easy mode for this game. There would literally be no challenge.

Prinny

Wow, the final mission was awesome. Best 3D action game after DMC3/4 and Bayo.

I only used the first sword to beat normal, I can't wait to try the rest of the weapons.

Except when guarding a front attack leaves your back completely exposed, or makes you attack instead of guarding.

Parrying is a nice idea but in practice it simply CAN NOT handle crowd-control situations, like the first Raptor battles.
It's definitely not perfect and I do feel cheated at times when an attack comes out instead. Camera can be an issue sometimes as well, like when it decides to flip out and make me unable to see anything when Monsoon goes for his dive attack and I can't tell which direction he's in to parry; that cost me more than a couple no damage attempts. Even parrying multiple quick attacks feels silly because of the inputs, going back to Monsoon again when he does his quick sai attacks I'm just mindlessly mashing left stick and square. Maybe it would've been better if it was hold in the direction you want to parry and tap circle, the button's not doing anything else.

If I just said "Stop being so terrible" I'd be banned on the spot.

I just find a poster who is supposedly good complaining about something relatively simple while i can do it (and i'm not great at these games)

its just a flick dude, plus you do a lot more moving of the stick in Black while rolling all over the place.

Ragus

Banned
I'm still waiting for me Limited Edition. Supplier fucked up and It will maybe be sent to me on Monday :(((((((((((((((

This was supposed to be a Rising weekend. Now it's just a downfall.

Skilletor

Do you have difficulty pointing in a direction and pressing a button simultaneously?

Parries have always been direction + a button. A guard button that blocks everything irregardless of direction would be dumb and easy mode for this game. There would literally be no challenge.

It also makes you pay attention to what your enemies are doing. They all have specific moves with VERY OBVIOUS visual cues that let you know what they're going to do.

When you're guarding, you're not stuck guarding. If you see an attack coming after a guard, parry in the direction from which the attack is coming.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Final boss is destroying me. I'm probably doing something wrong.

Working as intended, seriously though scan the thread you'll find a bunch of posts that detail how to get through it.

On a side note I really do love that the first time encounter with the final boss really feels like he is out of your league. It has been a LONG time since I've felt a game has truly given me a final boss worthy of that title not only in presentation and jump in difficulty
he is currently kicking my ass on very hard after obliterating him on hard
and not just another boss who happens to be the last one.

Neiteio

I just find a poster who is supposedly good complaining about something relatively simple while i can do it (and i'm not great at these games)
Yeah, I think some people just learn differently. They get too used to the way one game did something (controls, camera, etc), so it's hard for them to rewire their brain for the same thing done differently in another game, even though the alternative is simple enough, and there's good reason for it being different, and once learned it really -is- the best approach. In this case, a parry system implemented to maintain a sense of forward momentum and being on the offensive, and a close camera to heighten the sense of speed and impact.

Bedlam

Remember two things:
1. Dodge attack, don't parry
Blade mode his back when he's healing

Makes the fight considerably easier.
Dodging is really the key to win this fight but I'd say parrying is the best way to counter
his flying attack (when he leaps at you from far away)

Really my only complaints with this game is the camera going ape shit sometimes, the more simplistic backgrounds, and the compression on videos on 360. This is me nit picking though. I fucking love this game!

Llyranor

RAIDEN? RAIDEEEEEEEEEEN!!!!!!!!

Playing this on hard. Just got to the
Mistral
fight. Loving the game so far, really fun combat. Platinum delivers the goods.

PS3 version. Framerate/performance has been fine so far - I guess I'm not actually super nitpicky.

Jawmuncher

Loving it so far just beat
sundown

Really loving the memorable boss fights/characters. Especially considering
monsoon and mistral
just kind of show up then you fight them.

It's been to long since I've had some good boss characters for MGS. Peace walker had none and MGS4 was pretty hit and miss.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I'm almost done the game on Hard and haven't bought the dodge yet :v

Question though, will dodge let you avoid most of those green flash unparryable attacks? I really don't like having to stop combat after a couple of attacks to avoid yet another one of those. The Gorilla things and sometimes the hammer guys are the main offenders.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I like that Mistral's
hair becomes more unkempt and loose as the battle progresses

MickeyPhree

I think this game is amazing but for the life of me I can't figure out the parrying. I either screw up and don't aim at the enemy exactly or I'm stuck in an attack animation.

mattp

i played around with the dodge offset for a bit last night
am i doing something wrong or do only some combos work with it?
it doesn't feel inconsistent because i can always get the combos that do work to work every time
but it seems like there are other combos that always restart after a dodge, no matter what
is it just a timing issue?

anyone?

Riposte

I'm almost done the game on Hard and haven't bought the dodge yet :v

Question though, will dodge let you avoid most of those green flash unparryable attacks? I really don't like having to stop combat after a couple of attacks to avoid yet another one of those. The Gorilla things and sometimes the hammer guys are the main offenders.

Pretty sure you can dodge everything. One thing to consider is that some attacks wind up a lot, so you will have to time your dodge correctly.

EDIT: How do bosses on Reveangence fair against full upgrades?

MCD

I think this game is amazing but for the life of me I can't figure out the parrying. I either screw up and don't aim at the enemy exactly or I'm stuck in an attack animation.

First boss
Doggie
is basically a tutorial for parrying.

Only bad moment is when he keeps moving at a high speed, good luck figuring where he will attack with the fucked up camera.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Pretty sure you can dodge everything. One thing to consider is that some attacks wind up a lot, so you will have to time your dodge correctly.

Can most normal attacks cancel into the dodge? Some of those unparryables are hard to avoid even if I blade mode cancel whatever I'm currently doing.

Top Bottom