• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

jett

D-Member
I thought the demo showed potential, and Platinum and the Metal Gear franchise have both produced amazing games.

But you think the combat is crap, and it's not any different from the demo. In fact, parries have an even bigger window than in the demo(on normal difficulty that is).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I just don't think it's good. I don't think the parry system, met with the horrible camera is good, I don't think the slicing is fun or rewarding, I don't think the enemies are interesting. I just don't think it's remotely good so far.

But I see this thread is quite the viper's nest for criticism, so I'll come back in six months when everyone's calmed down.

Huh? Overreaction much? You came in saying only negative generalities without elaborating, and then one person responded in a snarky way. I'd actually say that's pretty good for most OTs.

I actually wanted to know what you didn't like about it so that we could pinpoint if it's something that's missing or just something that inherently will not click with you. It sounds like it's something that inherently won't click with you, but I would implore you to give the parry/dodge system a second chance because I think that it's something special.

The slicing mechanic is just something that will be fun for some people and won't be for others.

The enemies will get more interesting. You only played past the demo area. You've barely scratched the surface and beaten only one real boss.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Can't you still get damaged by the bullets when you're taking the shot?

The first doesn't fire right away. When another spawns, it takes even longer for that one to start shooting, too. It's a lot easier than you think.

Skilletor

Quite true, but criticism won't be written off with moronic comments like 'you must be crap at it'.

Is it really criticism to just have a list of things and say they aren't good without elaborating?

Huh? Overreaction much? You came in saying only negative generalities without elaborating, and then one person responded in a snarky way. I'd actually say that's pretty good for most OTs.

I actually wanted to know what you didn't like about it so that we could pinpoint if it's something that's missing or just something that inherently will not click with you. It sounds like it's something that inherently won't click with you, but I would implore you to give the parry/dodge system a second chance because I think that it's something special.

The slicing mechanic is just something that will be fun for some people and won't be for others.

The enemies will get more interesting. You only played past the demo area. You've barely scratched the surface and beaten only one real boss.

Parrying Monsoon's attacks is so fucking rewarding. It just feels right. I feel like Daigo.

Adam Blue

I've gotten a little further on hard, and this game is extremely difficult. So much so I may not even be able to continue playing it. I won't lower the difficulty - I don't want the fact that I can take more hits be the reason I complete it.

Still an amazing game though. One of the best brawlers I've played recently.

I wish their was training I could go through so I can get parrying down. Any suggestions?

Jarmel

Banned
They take a bit before firing. They take awhile longer to start shooting again when another shows up, too. It's a lot easier than you think.

I'll have to try it again then.

One thing in general though, I will never ever get the perfect against the final boss trophy. I've just learned to accept that.

StuBurns

Banned
That's why most OTs are shit. I think no snarky comments would be much better.

However, I'm not going to just stop playing because the first hour is bad. But I will bow out of the thread. I hope it picks up, as you claim.

Bedlam

Final boss is ridiculous. I beat every boss on the first try pretty easily (playing on Hard) but this guy just seems impossible right now. Don't have any nanopaste either

Can't imagine how hard this is to S-rank on revengeance

It only seems impossible at first glance. His patterns are relatively easy to learn and as for the nanopaste:
Get him down to 150-160% and he'll throw stuff at you that you have to slice up. It drops lots of nanopaste.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Parrying Monsoon's attacks is so fucking rewarding. It just feels right. I feel like Daigo.
YES YES YES

I've only just beat Monsoon, but I was glad to parry everything he threw at me, mile away or not. Even predicting his launches was satisfying, which are less telegraphed.

So...I was playing on Normal and just banging my head against that Mistral boss fight, so I said "screw it, I'm starting over on Easy", and man...Easy is way too easy. Like I haven't died and I've barely lost any health at any point up til the middle of Chapter 2. Anyway, at least I can enjoy the story and get the basics down, so my next play through on Normal might be a bit more tolerable. But yeah, the camera overall is my biggest hindrance to being able to pull off parry's properly, especially with the gecko's. Regardless, it's pretty awesome and over the top. Maybe the combat isn't as tight as Bayo, but it's pretty awesome either way.

Ok, I really hope Robert Rodriguez is a fan of this game. This NEEDS to be made a movie. The Mexican/western/samaurai undertones, cheesy humor, kickass ost, and over the top action with a wanky philosophical story... Would be perfect for a RR film.

Riposte

It really does. I need to get better at dodging though. That's my next goal.

Dodging (with dodge offset) feels better than parry I think.

Here is another thing for my wishlist:

They should add a mechanic where enemies (especially the low level mooks) shield themselves during blade mode. This would make it so that you have hit at least one other "core" before you get that juice, perhaps more than one other for the dual-wielders. If you hit the wrong spot they would parry you. Weakening whatever limb they are using to block (so its "blue") would negate this.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Metal Gear Raiden 2 should be Metal Grey Fox like Kojima intended. >:| Let me hack up Shadow Moses, god damn it.

Also when does "Ripper mode" unlock?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, I really hope Robert Rodriguez is a fan of this game. This NEEDS to be made a movie. The Mexican/western/samaurai undertones, cheesy humor, kickass ost, and over the top action with a wanky philosophical story... Would be perfect for a RR film.

Let's just get Quentin Tarantino on the phone I and we're all set.

wifininja

Neo Member
It only seems impossible at first glance. His patterns are relatively easy to learn and as for the nanopaste:
Get him down to 150-160% and he'll throw stuff at you that you have to slice up. It drops lots of nanopaste.

Yah I took him down about that much and things got easier. I have a question though... Does upgrading the
murasma blade
do more damage on the final boss?

mattp

Just gonna put in my 2 cents here about how wiggling sticks is fucking bullshit. It's like there's no rhyme or rhythm to it, sometimes ill palm the left stick and wiggle at a maniacal speed and I still won't escape the QTE or whatever. It's quite dumb.

i think the wiggling sticks thing is just like the whole "the button mashing in samurai shodown was actually random"
im pretty sure it doesn't do anything

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

It's hard to let go of the sombrero and poncho. Mexican cyborg ninja adventures is my favourite.

MCD

Uhmm...there's this thing called parry....

Not the same.

Stick + X button? Who thought this is a good idea?

Real counter system should be guard + X like NG. I hate when devs think it's cool to be different.

All my time is being wasted on managing the fucked up camera and running like a goddamn fool.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The regular parry is a guard, it's not difficult to do and has a huge active window.

Except when guarding a front attack leaves your back completely exposed, or makes you attack instead of guarding.

Parrying is a nice idea but in practice it simply CAN NOT handle crowd-control situations, like the first Raptor battles.

Not the same.

Real counter system should be guard + X like NG. I hate when devs think it's cool to be different.

All my time is being wasted on managing the fucked up camera and running like a goddamn fool.

My man. I'm so glad I'm not alone in thinking the king of the genre/Ninja Gaiden has nailed the combat systems that Metal Gear Raiden should've copied.

Sajjaja

Not the same.

Everyone else seems to love it.

Neiteio

Well you are the king of bad action game control systems, as the official NeoGAF KI:U mascot :)
Not bad -- just different, and better for it. In this case, change MGRR's camera to GOW and all the speed and impact is gone. I'm glad they went with the choice they did. Simply fantastic. :)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I've gotten a little further on hard, and this game is extremely difficult. So much so I may not even be able to continue playing it. I won't lower the difficulty - I don't want the fact that I can take more hits be the reason I complete it.

Still an amazing game though. One of the best brawlers I've played recently.

I wish their was training I could go through so I can get parrying down. Any suggestions?

Have you unlocked any VR missions? You can play the first "kill all the enemies" one over and over until you feel comfortable parrying. You could also just chapter select the demo area (chapter 01 I guess?) and play one of the checkpoints over and over. Just let the enemies attack you and practice reacting.

Positioning in a battle is also important, both because of the camera and because Raiden cannot overpower every enemy if he's surrounded (though the pole arm helps).

Bedlam

i think the wiggling sticks thing is just like the whole "the button mashing in samurai shodown was actually random"
im pretty sure it doesn't do anything
I was thinking exactly the same thing lol. Sometimes I waggled away like a maniac but still lost the sequence and other times I waggled the stick rather slowly (because I became more concerned about my gamepad than the outcome of the sequence) and I escaped the stun. I really seems kinda random.

Yah I took him down about that much and things got easier. I have a question though... Does upgrading the
murasma blade
do more damage on the final boss?
Don't know. I only used the HF Blade on my first playthrough.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Not the same.

Stop being so awful at a simple mechanic and blaming the game.

Not the same.

Because the game doesnt want you holding a block button? The way this game does it is beautiful. Feels more natural.

Riposte

I can confirm 8-4 did the english localization (and not the other way around) for this game from another thread. Props for them, that final boss has so many great quotes.

demidar

Having a guard button that you can hold down gives enough defensive ability to fundamentally change the flow of combat. Neither better or worse, but the parry system forces the player to spend more time attacking rather than waiting/guarding.

Bedlam

I just want to repeat myself: I fucking love the block/parry mechanic in this game.
Me too. I love it that they made blocking an actual skill to learn rather just holding down a button. It's so much more rewarding this way and it just works great in concert with all the other gameplay mechanics.

Kaizer

Banned
I wish I could get a handle on the parrying, at times I feel Ike I'm doing it and either it doesn't work at all or starts up not quick enough. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Fighting mechs and gorillas is a pain.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I just want to repeat myself: I fucking love the block/parry mechanic in this game.
Yep, I do too.

I think it's different from NG, warrants being different, and overall is much better for doing so as well. MGR is always about being on the offensive; if your running, your probably doing so just to get some time to think. Everything else, your always up in that ass, even if its a crowd, parrying and dodging your way while whittling down enemies.

I must say though, the dodge should've been standard and taught to everyone like parties are. They're pretty crucial to the combat, though not as much as parries.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'll just say that I have not one single time accidentally attacked instead of parrying. I've failed to parry effectively in a crowd situation, as I'm sure we all have, but that means I need more practice in a crowd situation (or to get out of it) and not that the mechanic doesn't work. It's an extremely easy and forgiving input, and it creates a level of engagement that a block button wouldn't.

I bet if there was a block button, people would feel the combat was more boring because frankly it doesn't matter that much which combos you do and when. The way it is, you're always focused and paying attention, waiting for that enemy to attack even as you combo them. It works incredibly well for me but I can see why others would have different reactions.

Game needs to be less awful with the camera first.

The camera isn't good but you can use lock-on and/or positioning in a room to manage it. You don't have to fiddle with the right stick in the middle of combat. There are still occasions when the camera ends up in a terrible place for me, but it doesn't happen nearly often enough that I would blame it for my failures in the game.

Top Bottom