• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Nemesis_

Only died 5 times against the final boss on my first playthrough (on Hard). BROFIST ANYONE?!

iZxaqVOW1F0FN.gif

Fuck you. I don't know why I died so many times. Mind you now I can take him down pretty easily. I took down Excelsus without taking damage recently

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Someone here has the tag "erotic butter maelstrom." I don't understand the context, but it's a good analogy for this game.

The "erotic" is how sexy and stylish everything is.

The "butter" is the smoothness -- the silky framerate, the fluid slicing and dicing.

The "maelstrom" is all the crazy action.

Oh yes.

That'd be Snuggler.

goblin

You're thinking of another attack.

His charge-up yellow grab is unblockable and you'll just get punished for trying to parry it. He does, however, have a charge up fire punch he does with his left arm instead of his right (which is the one he uses for all the fire pillar attacks). If he does THAT move and you don't interrupt it, it triggers the QTE that's basically free damage.

I spent a LONG time trying to figure out how I triggered it once and getting hit by the grab until I realized they were two different attacks.

That's what I get for posting in a rush. You're right, thanks for clarifying. I was indeed talking about
the charge-up fire punch.

Oh damn. Playing this game with the
mariachi outfit
is a whole new dimension of awesome. Screw amazon's pre-order bonus, this is where it's at.

Vossler

Hey guys, what you think the chances are that they will release the grey fox suit as DLC? Got a great price from amazon, and I don't wanna pay ebay prices.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I don't understand the point of this. You're invincible during a counter parry.

You can start up an offense quicker out of a regular block, so if you screw up your parry, you can still instantly be on the offensive. It basically negates blockstun.

A straight up defensive offense is technically better, especially when Blade Mode Canceled, but it's still a nice option to have if you mess up parries.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Well, just finished the game on Hard.

That last fight...HOLY FUCK, I loved it. Started with zero nanopaste but got it on my second try(fucked up a slice and died at first), game drops a ton of health after that. Man, that was a tough but thrilling fight to me.

I even let him heal back to around 150% without realizing what that stuff as doing, and managed to still beat him.

My god the music. THE EVERYTHING. Finally we have an action game that realizes that each human scale enemy vs. player fight is legendary, and the game delivers on every single one.

dan2026

Fucking fuck fuck how do you fight two gorillas and a hammer bro at the same time in a cramped space?

Its fucking impossible!

Well, just finished the game on Hard.

That last fight...HOLY FUCK, I loved it. Started with zero nanopaste but got it on my second try(fucked up a slice and died at first), game drops a ton of health after that. Man, that was a tough but thrilling fight to me.

I even let him heal back to around 150% without realizing what that stuff as doing, and managed to still beat him.

My god the music. THE EVERYTHING.

I still don't know how you stop the healing. I just had to let him heal which, according to the game, turned it into a 45-minute epic showdown.

Nemesis_

The boss battles really are fantastic. it was my biggest annoyance (amongst its numerous shortcomings) that DmC had hardly any decent humanoid battles and even then they were just awful in general.

Rising and it's boss battles are just too damn good. fucking love parrying Monsoon or just watching Mistral be a bad bitch. Sundowner is also cool but anyone else feel his fight is abrupt? good idea and good use of the mechanics though

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I still don't know how you stop the healing. I just had to let him heal which, according to the game, turned it into a 45-minute epic showdown.

You have to zandatsu the spot on his back. There's a character that pops up on his body when this happens, but I didn't realize it at first. Once you go blade mode you see the red dot on his back.

Nemesis_

I just use the purple weapon to paralyze one of them, then beat on the other one until I get drop kicked in the back :s

I'm propping for my Revengeance run at the moment. I hear Dystopia is VERY good at knocking Monsoon out of his purple phase, but it never seemed to work.

Am I missing something? Kind of want it to be Tuesday so my guide arrives >_>

I'm propping for my Revengeance run at the moment. I hear Dystopia is VERY good at knocking Monsoon out of his purple phase, but it never seemed to work.

Am I missing something? Kind of want it to be Tuesday so my guide arrives >_>

That's what I was trying today
when you fight the Monsoon clone before Sundowner. He was just dodging it. Maybe I needed to be closer or something.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Sundowner is also cool but anyone else feel his fight is abrupt? good idea and good use of the mechanics though

That was my first impression. More due to user error than anything

First time I fought sundowner I couldn't see the hinges of his shield glow blue so I just fought him the whole time with his shield up

which is actually the way to do it really. Especially if you're going for the no damage trophy. he's alot more predictable and easy to avoid in his first phase

Nemesis_

That's what I was trying today
when you fight the Monsoon clone before Sundowner. He was just dodging it. Maybe I needed to be closer or something.

I've noticed that Dystopia changes colour. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Carbo needs to consult his bible for us. *.*

Riposte

Hmmm, against the faster humanoid bosses I have a hard time "staying on them". Especially the "rival" fight given he dodges so much. I feel like I'm missing something to make the battle smoother in execution (and not mention neater to look at).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hmmm, against the faster humanoid bosses I have a hard time "staying on them". Especially the "rival" fight given he dodges so much. I feel like I'm missing something to make the battle smoother in execution (and not mention neater to look at).

Lock-on? The rival in particular has a tendency to dodge most of your normal swings. You basically do that to force him into the offensive and parry accordingly. He dodges your attacks and you dodge his. It's just a back and forth. I really like the way it plays out.

Also, Stinger to close gaps.

Dr Dogg

Sai's as your sub weapon help you close the gap but
when he goes into his second phase they no longer lock on and if you get too close without parrying he'll slam you down for massive damage. Ninja run and slide attack is a good opening move but be prepared to parry/evade straight after. Once you get close to him and get the parrying times/rhythm right you can easily own him as he only has one unblockable.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Is there no way to bump down the difficulty from hard to normal without restarting the whole game?

Nope. You're stuck on a difficulty once you start it, but you can go to the Chapter Select in the Story Menu. Start up a Normal Difficulty game to get the hang of things and then go back where you left off on Hard.

Zemm

Nope. You're stuck on a difficulty once you start it, but you can go to the Chapter Select in the Story Menu. Start up a Normal Difficulty game to get the hang of things and then go back where you left off on Hard.

I'm on the 2nd to last boss I think (Sam). I'd rather send the game back than restart it over again. I have no repair paste.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm on the 2nd to last boss I think (Sam). I'd rather send the game back than restart it over again. I have no repair paste.

Go back to the chapter select and play an earlier level to get some BP... level up some things and collect some nanopaste. Then, just go back to the chapter select and pick up where you left off.

bitoriginal

For anyone stuck on the final boss - redo the final level and get 5 nanopaste by restarting everytime you pick one up at the beginning of the level, stealth through with the cardboard box (may have to stealth kill a couple of people, and if you get seen just run around and hide with the box so the alert goes) and make sure you keep those 5 nanopaste for the final battle. Makes it a million times easier. Also, if you get low on health, just restart from the last checkpoint and you'll have full health and full fuel. Works well when you get a checkpoint halfway through fighting
Excelsius

Moonlight

Banned
For anyone stuck on the final boss - redo the final level and get 5 nanopaste by restarting, stealth through with the cardboard box, and make sure you keep those 5 nanopaste for the final battle. Makes it a million times easier.
Restart where? I can only find, like, one nanopaste laying around at the beginning of the final chapter.

GolazoDan

Got this earlier, really didn't like the demo but the Giant Bomb quick look won me over (ninja run + mash X = YEAH). Oh god this game is awesome.

THE MUSIC.

THE FUCKING MUSIC.

AAAAAAAHHHHHH.

ok, changed my mind, I really hate the last boss fight. I got to him on hard with barely any trouble but this just seems really cheap and broken.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Restart where? I can only find, like, one nanopaste laying around at the beginning of the final chapter.

Maybe he means restart the game? The principle is the same, though. If you're struggling during a part, you can always go back and farm nanopaste and pick up where you left off.

Lock-on? The rival in particular has a tendency to dodge most of your normal swings. You basically do that to force him into the offensive and parry accordingly. He dodges your attacks and you dodge his. It's just a back and forth. I really like the way it plays out.

Also, Stinger to close gaps.

Man, I had to undo the habit of using that. Although DmC got me used to doing the double stick motion, I've found that in my case that I have to BMC it nearly every time because of how unsafe it is, especially when dealing with bosses who seemed to attack right through it or multiple enemies that would smack you around while you were recovering.

Hystzen

could not stop laughing during a fight with regular cyborg with giant sword we kept parrying each other over and over and over.

This game man just finished stage 3 and dont think anything to complain about apart from a few camera issues but then again every action game has camera issues.

i need buy this soundtrack

Maybe he means restart the game? The principle is the same, though. If you're struggling during a part, you can always go back and farm nanopaste and pick up where you left off.

How do you do this? All I see is that you can start at the beginning of the chapter and that checkpoint data will be lost.

bitoriginal

In the main menu, you can choose chapter, make sure it's on the setting you were on and choose the final chapter. In the very first area, there is a nanopaste in a red box on the periphery of the map. Pick it up, restart from last checkpoint. Keep doing that to get 5.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Man, I had to undo the habit of using that. Although DmC got me used to doing the double stick motion, I've found that in my case that I have to BMC it nearly every time because of how unsafe it is, especially when dealing with bosses who seemed to attack right through it or multiple enemies that would smack you around while you were recovering.

It can be, but you can also cancel the Stinger into a dodge. Depending on the types of moves the boss has, you can Stinger safely.

How do you do this? All I see is that you can start at the beginning of the chapter and that checkpoint data will be lost.

The checkpoint data for the final Chapter will be lost, but you can restart the Final Chapter whenever you want... and it's a very short level. It will take you no time at all to get back to where you were.

are the left arms really important aside from just extra points?

I don't wanna be missing out on too much but I fucking suck ass and waste time on manual aim for zandatsu so I just resort to hitting light or heavy attack instead in blade mode.

Midou

God dammit with the last boss

It seems 90% of the time when I'm in a combo, he is going to do some unparryable attack that will ALWAYS hit me if I'm attacking at that time. No attack does less than 50% of my life, and unless I can get him to throw the rock, I got 0 nanopastes. The fucking rock part is the worst by far though because it carries hope. I fucking hate the precision aiming, I'm not good at it. I beat Sundowner by dodging to his side or behind him and that made the fight a lot easier.

The fights leading up to it were so awesome, but I feel I'm leaving it on a negative note, assuming that IS the last boss, cause I'm way more frustrated than anything else.

Top Bottom