• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Damn, my copy didn't arrive today...now I have to wait until monday...what to do with all my free time?!?! :(

*boots up console to play Vanquish*
Feeling better already!

goblin

Remember two things:
1. Dodge attack, don't parry
Blade mode his back when he's healing

Makes the fight considerably easier.

To add on to this, if you see him
charge-up his rushing grab attack, parry it to initiate a QTE that will let you do a lot of extra, easy damage. This also forces you into CQC, so you need to pick up your sword again. However you can safely punch him until he starts healing, and picking up your sword cancels his move if he's in the middle of an animation so I'd recommend fighting him near the sword until he's charging a lava attack. Also the cutting section is optional, you can Ninja Run to dodge it all.

Good luck!

mattp

does anyone else practically lol every time they
have a serious discussion about saving brains?

i am not complaining, by the way. it's ridiculous and fun.

EDIT: How do bosses on Reveangence fair against full upgrades?

They'll pretty much kill you in 1-3 hits, even with Max Health, but that Muramasa blade does a shitload of damage, as well as the Ripper mode. I perfect parried the mechadog boss in stage one with ripper mode on, he went from 90% health to 25% health, no bullshit. If I didn't stop attacking him there, I could have killed him before he even called in the troops/Gecko

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I really fucking love the care they put into orchestrating each boss fight and making it memorable. Strangely enough the QTE events don't really bother me at all, it seems like the game uses them at just the right time to give them punch.

Guess Who

Banned
Only bad moment is when he keeps moving at a high speed, good luck figuring where he will attack with the fucked up camera.

If I recall, there's a pattern - he lunges at you on, I think, the fifth dash. Just stand still and he won't hit you until then.

Prothero

Neo Member
Konami has tweeted that the GameStop Gray Fox pre-order code issue has been fixed on Xbox:

#MGRising Xbox owners, we are happy to inform you that issues with Gray Fox DLC codes have been fixed. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Two users who responded to the message say that they have had problems, but I was successfully able to redeem my code this morning. US Xbox MGR gamers with codes should try now and see if it works.

goblin

Wait, whaaat.
Where he tosses shit at you?
Or am I reading this wrong

Yes, that section. It's for rewarding you with health items, and is optional.
As soon as it starts, Ninja Run in a direction you have a lot of room in. When the debris is passing by, you'll get the blue-screen slowdown prompt to Blade Mode but you can just keep Ninja Running and it'll go away after a second.

jett

D-Member
does anyone else practically lol every time they
have a serious discussion about saving brains?

i am not complaining, by the way. it's ridiculous and fun.

zombie-brainsfrsl8.jpg

Exactly what it says: OHKO's enemies. You upgrade it, you increase that chance. Apparently (haven't unlocked it yet) it's pretty gamebreaking.

And it's no good for getting collectables/arms since that chance = you losing your arm chance.

Unlock? It was a pre-order bonus..may have to buy it when it drops..S-ranks are cake with it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I think during the
boulder toss
of the last boss people also don't realise
you don't need to be 100% accurate with your cuts. You do need to be precise, but I'm pretty certain you can hit 3/4 of the markers and it will successfully split the block. Cut each block then a final cut against the boss's head and the arena will scatter with health items.

I like when Sam licks the blood off his sword in the first battle

Does that happen casually during the battle? I never noticed.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
First boss
Doggie
is basically a tutorial for parrying.

Only bad moment is when he keeps moving at a high speed, good luck figuring where he will attack with the fucked up camera.

You can lock on by tapping R2. Camera problem solved. Then stand there while he jumps around, and he'll attack you after 4 hops. Don't go chasing him around while he hops because that would definitely be disorienting and terrible.

I have to say I was very disappointed in the last mission.
You see this massive base, and it starts off with the promise of amazing stealth elements
, and it's over in the blink of an eye, final boss out of nowhere.

Carbonox

You know what I don't like? That the awesome - and IMO best vocal track - "It has to be this way" track isn't the music for the fight against
Samuel
and it's instead the music for the less appealing
Senator
. It would have been the PERFECT song for the former.

Stayed away from anything about this game so I came into it with zero expectations and wow, pretty blown away so far.

What are the main differences between normal and hard? Done the first few of chapters on normal and thinking of restarting on hard. If I did go on to beat it on normal would upgrades carry over into a new playthrough?

The camera in this game is so very bad. Not absolutely game-breaking, but it's enough to keep the ceiling for my max score of the game down to 8/10. Fighting with the camera is its own meta aspect to fights. You want to be looking over here? Nope, I'm going to whip around in the opposite direction!

It's a shame since I'm loving the game otherwise.

Edit: I started on Hard and I can't even imagine how easy Normal must be. Looking forward to unlocking the next difficulty level.

The setpieces are fantastic. The very first mission alone, my god,
lifting and throwing a Metal Gear Ray, leaping after it, and slicing it to bits with this playing in the background just about made me jizz rainbows

Yup, same here :D Amazing introduction to the game.

Edit: I started on Hard and I can't even imagine how easy Normal must be. Looking forward to unlocking the next difficulty level.

Goddamnit this is why I hate difficulty levels sometimes. Restart it is then I guess.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Yes, that section. It's for rewarding you with health items, and is optional.
As soon as it starts, Ninja Run in a direction you have a lot of room in. When the debris is passing by, you'll get the blue-screen slowdown prompt to Blade Mode but you can just keep Ninja Running and it'll go away after a second.

ibrPPHbPWCp5Cl.gif

Man, that part fucked me up something good. I had the rest of the fight down after a few rounds, but only ever successfully
cut through all the boulders
once. It takes so much health if you screw up. And now it turns out it's all optional. Yo, damn.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
You know what I don't like? That the awesome - and IMO best vocal track - "It has to be this way" track isn't the music for the fight against
Samuel
Senator

Sam
should have been the final boss in my opinion. I would have had the narrative
still take the batshit crazy path: Raiden learns about Desperado, starts hunting them down. Finds the kid and the child brain scheme, and descends into "Jack the Ripper". Picks off Monsoon and Sundowner, and discovers Armstrong's plans. Fucks up the Metal Gear, cuts down Armstrong. And then despite having effectively taken down Desperado, he must confront Sam in one final samurai dual, because reasons.

yassssssssss

Zomba13

Just finished it. Most retries/checkpoint loads were from the last boss lol.
Finished with a C overall on Hard mode.
Now time to play it all again :D

Jarmel

Banned
Samuel
Senator

I wish that too. Oh god. I was hoping
that Sam would be the true final boss similar to Vergil.
Seriously, Sam's fight is the best in the game. No bullshit, all skill.

I was really surprised that part takes place literally in the first five minutes.

I know, right? Was at that moment I knew I was in for a treat. I remember people saying they wish they could play out the awesome cutscenes/qtes in Vanquish. This game feels like that wish realised at times.

edit: thinking about I guess it's more like the mgs4 cutscenes but same point applies :p

First boss
Doggie
is basically a tutorial for parrying.

You know you can lock on, right?

I have to say I was very disappointed in the last mission.
You see this massive base, and it starts off with the promise of amazing stealth elements
, and it's over in the blink of an eye, final boss out of nowhere.

Honestly,
did you really expect it would change from a full out action game to giving you stealth elements that late into the game?

mf.luder

I normally buy my music on iTunes but they do not have the soundtrack, whereas amazon does. This is frustrating but I can just head over there and grab it.

Alchemy

I think this game is amazing but for the life of me I can't figure out the parrying. I either screw up and don't aim at the enemy exactly or I'm stuck in an attack animation.

Hit X, then hit the direction you want to parry shortly after. I was totally screwed up with parry timing until I switched to this method and now the worst that happens is I just guard instead of parry.

Chairhome

This game is so good. I just passed the Mistral fight last night and that had so many badass moments. Hope it can keep up the pace. I love it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
No. The only boss that has checkpoints in it is Mistral, and the game saves automatically between them.

The final series of bosses have checkpoints as well.

Beat Mistral on Hard last night, no damage. The checkpoints make that one super easy. Will tackle Monsoon today.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Those are really two separate bosses with some meaningless bullcrap inbetween.

Well, for the first boss, there is an actual checkpoint between the first and second phase. For the second boss, the meaningless sections count towards the "no damage" achievement, so I kinda count that too.

Dat soundtrack.

Workout material right there.

Bayonetta obviously has awesome gameplay, but so does this. And so the music and just overall presentation now has this as my favorite platinum game and the second best MGS game of all time

Haha to the salty fanboys who thought this was "ruining metal gear franchise"

The use of music during boss encounters is so cool. Makes you fight harder

Dr Dogg

Man despite getting hyped up for this I still had sombre expectations but what an ace game. Length wise it's about perfect, I can see why people would want a longer game but seeing as Platinum didn't have that long to put this together (well and other studios, god knows how many were listed in the credits) anything longer would have fallen very flat. First time since... well Bayonetta that boss fights have actually tested me to see if I'm not just mashing the buttons and have a handle on the mechanics.

I really hope this sells well as I'd love to see this turn into a fully fledged spin-off. Can't imagine what KojiPro and Platinum could come up with if they banged their heads together from the off. Don't know if Konami care these days though.

RkOwnage

2 times I got the final boss under 10% and died. Whelp, I'm done with this. It's gonna make me rage to the point where I break something! To the Buy/Sell/Trade thread.

Argh, fuck Sundowner.
They make you fight Mistral and Monsoon again and then don't give you any fuckin health packs. Mistral is easy, but Monsoon is so annoying.

tch, i really wish this was a little bit longer, i think it's shorter than Vanquish

was just getting comfortable with the game mechanics and then whoops, here's the final boss

Top Bottom