• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Carbonox

Regarding missing encounters, I found out from the book that in the area of chapter 2 with the ferris wheel in Abkhazia (where you see a lone guy and a Gekko patrolling the area, before you meet your first box cyborg), ninja killing the two enemies results in NO RANK whereas if you get their attention and fight them properly, you get RANKED. Former means a blank space in the chapter results screen.

I guess this applies to other spots too throughout the game. Sometimes ninja killing just ain't beneficial to your score.

jett

D-Member
Okay, what the fuck at the pre-final form of the last boss in very hard.
Aren't you supposed to lose this? lol

It's nice if you want to get out of blockstun and/or need i-frames that instant. Really useful against packs of mastiffs because they'll often stagger their attacks one after another when crowding you, and if you try to parry successive hits it'll just lock you there til you eat a grab. Plus, being able to cancel into forward dodge and then blade mode is very helpful to immediately attack or cut a limb, but I usually opt to dodge out of the situation because even though the forward dodge has invincibility, I don't want to have my recovery animation next to the enemy in case something unforeseen happens.

I'm relying more and more on dodging instead of parries in Very Hard now, because enemies are uber aggressive there and it's often a liability to try to keep parrying.

Fighting the
two GRADs instead of one in the research lab warehouse, with everyone moving around the room at 100 miles per hour and Raiden cutting down pieces of falling debris and missiles was glorious. A much more dramatic sequence in Very Hard because you aren't just walking up to a mech and beating it til it drops.

I guess I can see some advantages.

Carbonox

If there is a sequel then Christopherson needs to do the OST. Needs to. He pretty much made this game for me.

Dynamic music is absolutely superb at setting the atmosphere for fights, especially when vocals are involved for the finale segments. I'm baffled it's not a staple in the genre.

What's with the kung fu gekko, lol? He appeared twice for me. Once before a boss fight.

Just another of the many secret easter eggs. If you chop them in half vertically, you'll get a 5000BP bonus each

and I don't know how to get the No Damage trophy for the final boss. The QTE doesn't start until I get hit >_>

jett

D-Member
Yeah, you are, but it only initiates after doing a set amount of damage to him.

Yeah, finally done. I think it got bugged for a moment to be honest. I'm trying to do all the last boss without using medkits on very hard, so it's harder than usual for me. :p

Carbonox

What's the trick to stop the final boss regenerating health? Hitting him in the back seems to work 50% of the time.

That's the only way. Gotta use blade mode. When you first enter blade mode when prompted, you're given a help hand in a way with the line being very close to the spot you need to cut. Use the face buttons rather than the right stick to make it easier controlling the direction.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
There is only one tweak I would make to the final part of the final fight to make it perfect:

Raiden should have said BULLSEYE after crushing his heart. Fade to credits.

Everything else can wait until after.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What's the trick to stop the final boss regenerating health? Hitting him in the back seems to work 50% of the time.

Zandatsu that back

Just another of the many secret easter eggs. If you chop them in half vertically, you'll get a 5000BP bonus each

and I don't know how to get the No Damage trophy for the final boss. The QTE doesn't start until I get hit >_>

If you're talking about the second phase, you need to do enough damage to him and wait it out until there's literally a completely unavoidable attack that initiates the next part.
I believe you have to get him down to around 80% or so.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oh god its so pure. Other than camera-jank I guess. Just finished Mistral fight. Girlfriend is concerned because I keep saying "Holy shit!" over and over in escalating tones.

Into the sewers..

Hi,

Is the game worth it as a fan of MG lore?

Which system is better?

Thanks.

The demo was so so for me. Hated the camera movements, and was often caught looking at the sky unintentionally.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I was bitching about this game earlier, but man, the bosses are so good. Definitely the Platinum game with the most consistently great boss fights.

For sure.

With action games like this, there is typically a clear cut best fight for most people. DMC3 Vergil 3, DMC4 Credo, Bayonetta Jeanne, etc...but this? I don't even think I could make a boss ranking. I love them all.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hi,

Which system is better?

Thanks.

The codec conversations are very Metal Gear and do delve into some backstory of the SOP and the integration of cyborgs into warfare. If you're going strictly for the lore, probably not, but the game itself has a lot to offer in general, and definitely has a Metal Gear feel to it, even though it doesn't feel like Metal Gear Solid per se. It makes Raiden way more like-able.

The two systems are pretty close, performance wise. I think the 360 technically has an advantage of framerate in some sections of the game. PS3 does have exclusive VR missions down the line.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah the boss fights are all damn good. Except for maybe the first one if it counts as one.

I think it only really counts as one if you consider the Hell Vanguard as the first boss fight in DMC3.

EDIT: Unless you're talking about the prologue, because now I'm not so sure.

Carbonox

I enjoy the first boss fight. It's not as dynamic as the others (moreso than the second from last at least) but it's hard not to get excited during the slicing segments and vocals kicking in.

bitoriginal

YEEAAASDASASASASSSSSS! Finally took that motherfucker down. I haven't been that frustrated with a final boss since Ares in God of War in god mode. I must have died 100 times or more lol.

AAK

I just played the intro chapter. Damn, this is just what I asked for. My only complaint so far was that everything is done for you in the Ninja Run. You hold R1 and bullets are deflected for you, the jumps are done for you, the slides are done for you. Even in that R1 QTE when you
jump from missile to missile to kill the ray
all you had to do was hold R1 and forward. I was hoping there would be more manual control but I suppose I should just be happy I'm playing something cool and 60fps. :)

Seik

Banned
I'm back!

ik57AUa.jpg

YOLO!

any good strategies against the flamethrower robots in the sewers? Only one I've been doing so far is stun-locking with the sai, but it's a crapshoot against two or more of them.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I know right?!

But no, it's a poutine with spaghetti sauce on it, making it a delicious italian poutine! :D

Well, I'm sure it's good, but to my eyes, it looks like post-Indian food diarrhea. Complete pantaloon destruction incoming.

But hey, Rising is fantastic!

any good strategies against the flamethrower robots in the sewers? Only one I've been doing so far is stun-locking with the sai, but it's a crapshoot against two or more of them.

Use the box and stealth-kill them. Or just get far away from them, let them charge you, and try to get a perfect parry off.

Alright, I hate asking for help on a new game, but I'm completely stuck.

I assume it's the final boss (But you never know):

Armstrong in the crater. How to stop him from healing himself? I've tried everything I can think of and CODEC isn't helping me.

Hystzen

I just put as much distance possible baiting it to do the charge attack then you parry it. It instant stun then use Zandatsu to finish it in one move

bitoriginal

Alright, I hate asking for help on a new game, but I'm completely stuck.

I assume it's the final boss (But you never know):

Armstrong in the crater. How to stop him from healing himself? I've tried everything I can think of and CODEC isn't helping me.

Get behind him and go into blade mode, you'll see an area you need to cut.

Ein Bear

Hi,

Which system is better?

Thanks.

The demo was so so for me. Hated the camera movements, and was often caught looking at the sky unintentionally.

There's loads of great lore stuff in the codec conversations, I've been loving it.

Top Bottom