• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

vid

Also apparently Amazon shipped me the guide today that I don't even remember buying? The hardcover one. Here's hoping it's...good!
Let us know if there's any cool stuff in there! It's pretty unusual for me to buy a guide, but if it's well documented and full of art and stuff, is love to have more of this game.

It can be, but you can also cancel the Stinger into a dodge. Depending on the types of moves the boss has, you can Stinger safely.
It's not that it's even all that unsafe. It's just that some bosses will straight up counter it along with several other of your moves if you just throw them out.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's not that it's even all that unsafe. It's just that some bosses will straight up counter it along with several other of your moves if you just throw them out.

I don't think I really had issues with that. Certain bosses have armor moves that they'll throw out to "counter" it, but ultimately I think you can still parry/dodge most of those. I'm not saying you can throw it out indiscriminately, but you do get a feel for when you can use it and not get punished for it.

The checkpoint data for the final Chapter will be lost, but you can restart the Final Chapter whenever you want... and it's a very short level. It will take you no time at all to get back to where you were.

I see, but I'm kind of afraid of doing this and just losing the items on the fight before the last one anyway.

bitoriginal

God dammit with the last boss

It seems 90% of the time when I'm in a combo, he is going to do some unparryable attack that will ALWAYS hit me if I'm attacking at that time. No attack does less than 50% of my life, and unless I can get him to throw the rock, I got 0 nanopastes. The fucking rock part is the worst by far though because it carries hope. I fucking hate the precision aiming, I'm not good at it. I beat Sundowner by dodging to his side or behind him and that made the fight a lot easier.

The fights leading up to it were so awesome, but I feel I'm leaving it on a negative note, assuming that IS the last boss, cause I'm way more frustrated than anything else.

Just to consolidate previous advice on final boss for those with 0 nanopaste:

In the main menu, you can choose chapter, make sure it's on the setting you were on and choose the final chapter. In the very first area, there is a nanopaste in a red box on the periphery of the map. Pick it up, restart from last checkpoint. Keep doing that to get 5.

Once you have 5 nanopaste, stealth through with the cardboard box (may have to stealth kill a couple of people, and if you get seen just run around and hide behind a car or something with the box so the alert goes) and make sure you keep those 5 nanopaste for the final battle. Makes it a million times easier.

Also, if you get low on health, just restart from the last checkpoint and you'll have full health and full fuel. Works well when you get a checkpoint halfway through fighting Excelsius.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I see, but I'm kind of afraid of doing this and just losing the items on the fight before the last one anyway.

Well, it's a tradeoff. I can tell you right now that the first fight is significantly easier to do without dying than the second. There's even a checkpoint halfway in the middle of the first fight. If people are going to struggle, I imagine it will be during the second fight and that's probably where they'll need nanopaste.

bitoriginal

The
Excelsius
fight is really easy if you make sure you parry every attack and just dodge the beam attack part. When fighting
Armstrong
with his shirt on, just keep restarting if he does enough damage to use a nanopaste. I've just done this. Still haven't been final boss but it's really easy getting back to him with nanopaste.

Moonlight

Banned
In the main menu, you can choose chapter, make sure it's on the setting you were on and choose the final chapter. In the very first area, there is a nanopaste in a red box on the periphery of the map. Pick it up, restart from last checkpoint. Keep doing that to get 5.
Holy shit, thank you.

This is bound to make my life so much easier.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
The more I read about cancel techniques you can do and study the move list for other options as well as actually experimenting with sub weapons beyond PINCER CRUSH and SAI STUN, all the earlier notions I had that the game didn't have very deep combat really seem to quickly be fading away for me.

Is anyone else starting to think that the combat has a lot of depth just in rather non traditional ways as well as a really simple presentation?

This is even becoming more apparent when realizing that there is more than one way to tackle most boss mechanics, several times I've found myself thinking "you can do that?" when looking at a post about X boss fight.

Just a thought.

Midou

Is there any tips for the
cutting parts
of the last boss? Out of the dozen times I got that part, only one time I cleared it. I'm way too slow at lining it up.

Would have been nice if you could just do the general direction and game wasn't so anal about it..

bitoriginal

cutting parts
of the last boss? Out of the dozen times I got that part, only one time I cleared it. I'm way too slow at lining it up.

Would have been nice if you could just do the general direction and game wasn't so anal about it..

Ninja run to avoid it, you don't actually have to cut it at all.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Here's my stats for the first time through on hard:

G4boRDyl.jpg

What's the remaining enemies thing? Missed encounters?

This is the worst. There's nothing I hate worse than area attacks,
especially when you get confined into a smaller space and have nowhere to run and here comes another lava fire wave of pure fuck

Yeah, not a fan of this. I was loving the game when it was mostly strategy and reflexes and really learning stuff, but this has some luck aspects to it.

I should have started on normal but again I didn't have any real problems with anything in the game up to this point, but this is controller breaking frustration and the first instance in the game where I'm feeling some bad gameplay design.

Carbonox

I've noticed that Dystopia changes colour. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Carbo needs to consult his bible for us. *.*

A charged Dystopia attack or EM grenade disables his purple phase instantly according to the book.

I'll definitely try that as my first time against Monsoon was more or less -waiting- for him to come out of purple phase. :lol

Ra1den

cutting parts

Make sure you are using the left stick to change the camera angle, that makes lining it up with the right stick a piece of cake.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
This is the worst. There's nothing I hate worse than area attacks,
especially when you get confined into a smaller space and have nowhere to run and here comes another lava fire wave of pure fuck

Yeah, not a fan of this. I was loving the game when it was mostly strategy and reflexes and really learning stuff, but this has some luck aspects to it.

I should have started on normal but again I didn't have any real problems with anything in the game up to this point, but this is controller breaking frustration and the first instance in the game where I'm feeling some bad gameplay design.

Utilize Ninja Run to flee certain area attacks or projectiles if you have to. You can dodge or parry everything he does, it just takes practice.

bitoriginal

It'd be great if I could actually do it. I get the logic behind it, but for whatever reason I always screw it up.

Persevere man, you can do it. I'm in the same situation, but now that I've got nanopaste it's so much easier. You just need to learn his attacks and spam the dodge button most of the time. I still haven't beaten him.

Seik

Banned
Ah god dammit guys...

I was just about to buy it. AND I FUCKING CHOCKED. :mad:

I don't know, I was in front of the game and I was looking at that 59,99$...then took my leave.

It's worth it, right? Hype me so I can get back there and buy the hell out of it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ah god dammit guys...

I don't know, I was in front of the game and I was looking at that 59,99$...then took my leave.

It's worth it, right? Hype me so I can get back there and buy the hell out of it.

What the hell? This thing is without a doubt worth your money. Some of the best boss battles of this entire generation and endless replayability. It's a goddamn rollercoaster ride from start to finish.

Carbonox

You can run from the blocks? I didn't even know that was an option.

Yeah there's a delay between when one is picked up to when it's thrown. During that time you can run away from the direction of the throw. Sure you don't get the benefits of cutting them, but you save time and don't have to even chance it.

Ah god dammit guys...

I got it for free from a friend, but I was also gonna drop $60 for it before he surprised me with it. Looking back though...it would've been worth every penny.

Persevere man, you can do it. I'm in the same situation, but now that I've got nanopaste it's so much easier. You just need to learn his attacks and spam the dodge button most of the time. I still haven't beaten him.

I would literally be able to beat this fight with relative ease if I could do the cutting parts and get some paste. I have his patterns down to a near science.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Interested to play this game, gamefly is taking it's sweet time. Maybe redbox has it?

Unfortunately it's not on their website. I think that's pretty much a guarantee they don't have it.

Yeah there's a delay between when one is picked up to when it's thrown. During that time you can run away from the direction of the throw. Sure you don't get the benefits of cutting them, but you save time and don't have to even chance it.

Oh okay. So just run away from it? Might be useful for the no damage run.

wingz

It'd be great if I could actually do it. I get the logic behind it, but for whatever reason I always screw it up.

I just finished it on hard. Same thing happened to me. I kept screwing the Zandatsu part, but after using getting a handle on using both joystiqs, it became easy. LOL, was anyone thinking the final boss =
Greed from FMA?
I was laughing at the resemblance.

Overall an amazing game. The more time you put in learn the mechanics, the more rewarding experience it becomes. It's been a long time since I have enjoyed some good boss fights.

Now on to Very Hard.

bitoriginal

I would literally be able to beat this fight with relative ease if I could do the cutting parts and get some paste. I have his patterns down to a near science.

Seriously, restart the final chapter and get 5 nanopaste, it's really easy to do, and it will prevent you from having to buy a new controller from frustration.

Seik

Banned
What the hell? This thing is without a doubt worth your money. Some of the best boss battles of this entire generation and endless replayability. It's a goddamn rollercoaster ride from start to finish.

I don't know what happened. D:

I wanted to buy it new at the beginning of the week, then Yuripaw had it for 45$ and I missed it, close call style, now I'm stuck in my own mind if I should go back and get it NOW or wait for another deal on GAF. Still, the waiting game is long and I wanted to play this week-end.

Your comment is cranking me to go back there, btw. GAF hype is the best hype. XD

Carbonox

Unfortunately it's not on their website. I think that's pretty much a guarantee they don't have it.

Oh okay. So just run away from it? Might be useful for the no damage run.

What I do is wait until it's in his hands (so you can see it angled in your direction before the throw), walk around and the second it leaves his hands, run to the side so you avoid it completely. It's actually very easy to avoid. As easy as Ray's plasma blasts in the first chapter.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
What I do is wait until it's in his hands (so you can see it angled in your direction before the throw), walk around and the second it leaves his hands, run to the side so you avoid it completely. It's actually very easy to avoid. As easy as Ray's plasma blasts in the first chapter.

Thanks! I've nailed the Zadatsu the last few times I've had to do it, but I'd be worried to fuck it up towards the end of a run for that achievement.

I don't understand the point of this. You're invincible during a counter parry.

It's nice if you want to get out of blockstun and/or need i-frames that instant. Really useful against packs of mastiffs because they'll often stagger their attacks one after another when crowding you, and if you try to parry successive hits it'll just lock you there til you eat a grab. Plus, being able to cancel into forward dodge and then blade mode is very helpful to immediately attack or cut a limb, but I usually opt to dodge out of the situation because even though the forward dodge has invincibility, I don't want to have my recovery animation next to the enemy in case something unforeseen happens.

I'm relying more and more on dodging instead of parries in Very Hard now, because enemies are uber aggressive there and it's often a liability to try to keep parrying.

Fighting the
two GRADs instead of one in the research lab warehouse, with everyone moving around the room at 100 miles per hour and Raiden cutting down pieces of falling debris and missiles was glorious. A much more dramatic sequence in Very Hard because you aren't just walking up to a mech and beating it til it drops.

This last boss has killed this game for me. The cool, fun, cheese, and badassedness has all been sucked out with this uber-political
suit and tie bastard
. Fuck, man. I can only get him to 170%. What am I missing? He needs to shift battle plans at some point, right? I've seen footage where my sword drops... how do I let that happen. Infuriating, this fight.

branny

What's the remaining enemies thing? Missed encounters?
Not sure. I tried looking in the guide for it but can't find anything. It's probably missed encounters, yeah. My second guess would be enemies that you beat via "No Kill", which happens when you chop limbs off and let them die on their own.

Midou

Seriously, restart the final chapter and get 5 nanopaste, it's really easy to do, and it will prevent you from having to buy a new controller from frustration.

I just did this, was easier than I was expecting it to be. Thanks for the tip.

Now time to try again...

Edit: Great, actually got him to about 100% life on first nanopaste and
revives to full, are you fucking shitting me...

Not sure. I tried looking in the guide for it but can't find anything. It's probably missed encounters, yeah. My second guess would be enemies that you beat via "No Kill", which happens when you chop limbs off and let them die on their own.

There are some enemies that only show up after you get a grade for an encounter, usually its a kung fu gekko or some non human thing(i got a bunch of enemy wings without the humans controlling them..it was kinda surreal)

they show up without a heads up from Boris.

Honestly had waaaaaaay more trouble on VR12 than VR18. The wonky auto-aim and bad camera against walls/ninja running really shows it's ass on that one.

VR18 is just:

wave 1: perfect parry gecko, lol dwarves

Wave 2: perfect parry off the wall/dropkick you see coming a mile away, lol dwarves, charge up Pincer for next wave

wave 3: unleash pincer, sending dog flying, kill him real quick, tap triangle for pole arm until all dwarves are dead, then purple Sai stun the hammer bros and take advantage of their huuuuuge recovery time on attacks(either 3 hit combo, yellow, or double spin)

wave 4: lol dwarves

wave 5: purple sai on GRAD, mash light attack, by the time he's out of stun, purple sai again, rinse and repeat

meh

Top Bottom