• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Zemm

Playing on hard, about 75% through I guess and this game has the worst checkpoints, worst camera and the most annoying enemies of any game I've played in a long time. I think the awful shitty camera plays a part in the enemies being more annoying than they should be though. What a disappointment this is.

Just beat it. Final boss was completely insane.
the part where you have to zandatsu him with the giant metal gear leg or whatever

Going to start over on VH now, but I still really don't understand how you're meant to get a no damage bonus on some of these encounters where there are enemies shooting guns and rockets or flamethrowers at you with the camera constantly moving around to point towards Raiden

Just beat it. Final boss was completely insane.
the part where you have to zandatsu him with the giant metal gear leg or whatever

Going to start over on VH now, but I still really don't understand how you're meant to get a no damage bonus on some of these encounters where there are enemies shooting guns and rockets or flamethrowers at you with the camera constantly moving around to point towards Raiden

Wait a few days i'm sure some pro japanese guy will upload a video soon of a no hit revengance mode run.

First boss
Doggie
is basically a tutorial for parrying.

Only bad moment is when he keeps moving at a high speed, good luck figuring where he will attack with the fucked up camera.

lock on at that point.

The camera can be weird as fuck at times

Really wasn't expecting so much codec stuff. Fantastic.

there was a decent amount in the demo and that surprised me as well.

Should be fun

Thought this was appropriate to share..

edit: Kojima-I-Want-to-Make-Metal-Gear-Rising-2-with-Platinum
sites banned -__- but( suposedly) these are some some snippets of note, i guess google for the full scoop:

"Honestly, I’ve been making games for over 25 years and the state that this game was in when it went to Platinum... was really a mess! The fact that they were able to pull it off is very impressive," said Kojima on the troubled development process for Metal Gear Rising. He added that his one worry about Platinum taking on the job was its reputation for taking its time with projects.

"Platinum makes excellent games, there’s no arguing about that - but they’re not very good at honouring schedules," he laughed. "I made it clear that in order to succeed on a worldwide scale, you not only have to make a good product, but you also have to keep a tight schedule. This time, they came through and delivered the product on time. I think even [Hideki] Kamiya-san was surprised!"

"Really, Platinum’s team is great at creating action games. They do it better than anyone else. I love them personally, as individuals... and now they’re able to do things to schedule as well! That’s very important.

You can feel the love..
i really really want a sequel to happen.

just thinking about how insane it can get..

00159462_medium.jpeg

props to the original blade on foot assassin.

Arklite

I love how Doktor and Kev cheer when you find girly posters, hah.

The last fight was all kinds of ridiculous but it lost a lot of impact when it ends up being "some guy" that was barely there for most of the game.

There should be some emphasis on the lock-on in the OT, along with basic camera control. You have to proactively work with the camera, especially in harder difficulties once off-screen projectiles become an issue, but as long as you stay away from the edges of the stage where you run into the problem of the camera not being able to phase through walls and try to actively manipulate the camera, it's manageable overall.

Enemy aggression is increased on Very Hard and Revengeance, right? Fighting multiple Mastiffs wasn't a problem on Hard but it's a total nightmare on Very Hard. I'm loving the smoke grenades against packs of tough mobs, though, makes you feel very ninja-like, and actually much safer than EM grenades.

Noi

To add on to this, if you see him
charge-up his rushing grab attack, parry it to initiate a QTE that will let you do a lot of extra, easy damage. This also forces you into CQC, so you need to pick up your sword again. However you can safely punch him until he starts healing, and picking up your sword cancels his move if he's in the middle of an animation so I'd recommend fighting him near the sword until he's charging a lava attack. Also the cutting section is optional, you can Ninja Run to dodge it all.

Good luck!

You're thinking of another attack.

His charge-up yellow grab is unblockable and you'll just get punished for trying to parry it. He does, however, have a charge up fire punch he does with his left arm instead of his right (which is the one he uses for all the fire pillar attacks). If he does THAT move and you don't interrupt it, it triggers the QTE that's basically free damage.

I spent a LONG time trying to figure out how I triggered it once and getting hit by the grab until I realized they were two different attacks.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Anyone else pick up one of those 2gig usb's shaped like the HF sword?

I managed to snag one off ebay for 10 bucks with free shipping because no one else bid ha. It looks like a neat little collectible. It comes with a song on it, I think the MG excelus theme. Not the best deal for a usb but it still seems like a cool thing to have.

Defunkled

I need help. Anyone have tips for beating Monsoon on Hard without taking damage? I want the trophy but I'm about to put my controller through a wall since this fight has no checkpointing. I can reliably get past the part where he throws that huge chunk of rubble at you, but I can't figure out how to get close enough when he starts using his long range sai attack.

I need help. Anyone have tips for beating Monsoon on Hard without taking damage? I want the trophy but I'm about to put my controller through a wall since this fight has no checkpointing. I can reliably get past the part where he throws that huge chunk of rubble at you, but I can't figure out how to get close enough when he starts using his long range sai attack.

the emp grenades will snap him out of that, you gotta get him before he starts tossing sai

Riposte

I love how Doktor and Kev cheer when you find girly posters, hah.

The last fight was all kinds of ridiculous but it lost a lot of impact when it ends up being "some guy" that was barely there for most of the game.

Just pretend it is
Mitt Romney or *insert politician here*.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Alright. I'm about to do the last fight on hard, I've been dying to see what the hype is all about.

This better be as cuurazy as possible.

AAK

I got the LE finally!

I also got a coupon code for $15 off from shop.konomi.com for anything over $50. PM me if you want it. Hope to start the game soon :)

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Thought this was appropriate to share..

edit: Kojima-I-Want-to-Make-Metal-Gear-Rising-2-with-Platinum
sites banned -__- but( suposedly) these are some some snippets of note, i guess google for the full scoop:

"Honestly, I’ve been making games for over 25 years and the state that this game was in when it went to Platinum... was really a mess! The fact that they were able to pull it off is very impressive," said Kojima on the troubled development process for Metal Gear Rising. He added that his one worry about Platinum taking on the job was its reputation for taking its time with projects.

"Platinum makes excellent games, there’s no arguing about that - but they’re not very good at honouring schedules," he laughed. "I made it clear that in order to succeed on a worldwide scale, you not only have to make a good product, but you also have to keep a tight schedule. This time, they came through and delivered the product on time. I think even [Hideki] Kamiya-san was surprised!"

"Really, Platinum’s team is great at creating action games. They do it better than anyone else. I love them personally, as individuals... and now they’re able to do things to schedule as well! That’s very important.

You can feel the love..
i really really want a sequel to happen.

just thinking about how insane it can get..

props to the original blade on foot assassin.

MGR2 by P* would be fantastic. Any game by P* would be fantastic. Maybe a ZOE game by P*? Mmmmmmm.

bitoriginal

Arghh. Final boss is fucking me off SO FUCKING MUCH. I haven't got any nanopaste and everytime he throws something I can get the first slice off then the camera is in the completely wrong fucking place for the second slice. I then die EVERY FUCKING TIME. Fuck this shit. Haven't even got this cunt below 150% health.

/rage

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
MGR2 by P* would be fantastic. Any game by P* would be fantastic. Maybe a ZOE game by P*? Mmmmmmm.

I love Platinum more than most and they do make the best action games, but I think they have a particular style and that the constant desire for every game to be made by them isn't the best idea.

It would be nice to see how they handle other genres, though. Platinum Gantz and then some sort of fast mech game, please.

Also apparently Amazon shipped me the guide today that I don't even remember buying? The hardcover one. Here's hoping it's...good!

MCD

Game just booted me off - new title update?

And this game is a "beautiful mess". Fighting Mistral with such shoddy camera is a sin.

Parrying is now in my blood but please, this camera is dog shit when dealing with multiple enemies.

So, 've had several people tell me to buy the roll move, but how do I do that. I'm almost at the end of chapter 4 and I still don't see it listed in my moves or skills or anywhere in the customization screen.

McNum

So, 've had several people tell me to buy the roll move, but how do I do that. I'm almost at the end of chapter 4 and I still don't see it listed in my moves or skills or anywhere in the customization screen.
It's called Defense Offense, and it's not so much a roll as it's Raiden jumping out of harm's way with a cheeky little sneak attack. It's pretty useful.

branny

I haven't really posted in here that much despite Revengeance being my most anticipated game of 2013, but I just wanted to stop by now that I've gone through normal, some of hard, and the first two chapters of Revengeance.

I'm in love.

I can see why some people wouldn't like certain things, but I feel incredibly blessed to fall exactly into MGR's target audience. Any of its shortcomings mean little to me, and its strengths conversely mean so much. The demo didn't assuage any of my fears about the final product (it actually made me even more worried), yet the full game has addressed nearly everything I wanted it to.

Combat never feels monotonous. Cutting never gets old. Bosses are amazing. The pacing is great, with fights being broken up well by stealth sections and mild exploration. VR missions are lovely. There's so much to unlock, with some things requiring actual effort. Each weapon is distinct and fun to use. There are plenty of ways to vary your approach to the same scenario with different strategies or items/equipment. You can spam triangle to skip through intrusive codec conversations once the game's been loaded. I adore the music. I love all the settings (really). The story is okay and doesn't make me feel gross like MGS4's did after it was over. The difficulty modes are done so, so right (remixed enemies who are more aggressive and inflict more damage--Revengeance is nuts; stuff is actually dangerous, and I wouldn't have it any other way).

Everything just feels fabulous and satisfying--the game creates its own itch that can't be scratched by anything else. I know that sounds weird, but it's very important for games to do this, to create a craving.

There are some less than bright spots, though. The camera can sometimes conspire with the occasionally finicky auto-targeting and make some situations a little annoying every now and then, but I just got done playing through Ninja Gaiden Black and Sigma Plus (and some of NG2 and half of Razor's Edge) in prep for this game, so I don't really care. It doesn't bother me that much. Also, the chapter structuring is kind of wonky near the end of the game, but the content is fine. The campaign is short but sweet. Clear time has been a hot topic for a lot of people, but things like Mega Man X/Zero, Portal, SMB3/SMW, fighting games, and Cave shmups are some of my all-time favorites, so I'm not the kind of person to be disappointed by MGR's length. I would've been upset if the game felt artificially padded out (though
the Mistral/Monsoon re-fight does seem like padding, I'd like to point to Mega Man again
); nothing seems repetitive or like a retread of previously introduced ideas, regardless if anything is actually repeated.

I played both versions of the same 20-minute demo for around 50-60 hours, no joke, so I'm going to get a lot of mileage out of this sucker.

The LE lamp is nice, btw, but there are two bits of plastic in the base I can't get out that are driving me nuts, lol.

Carbonox

It's called Defense Offense, and it's not so much a roll as it's Raiden jumping out of harm's way with a cheeky little sneak attack. It's unbelievably useful.

fixed

Seriously, Defense Offense is awesome and saved my ass in the last boss fight.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I like how after the
Monsoon Battle
Raiden goes between Batman voice and normal during codecs...lol

haha yeah

Raiden went from his gruff monologue to boris to telling him to calm down when he told Raiden to beat the shit out of Sundowner

Neiteio

Someone here has the tag "erotic butter maelstrom." I don't understand the context, but it's a good analogy for this game.

The "erotic" is how sexy and stylish everything is.

The "butter" is the smoothness -- the silky framerate, the fluid slicing and dicing.

The "maelstrom" is all the crazy action.

Oh yes.

Top Bottom