• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Korigama

The one in Chapter 5 I couldn't even save.

The second one I did by first rocket launcher the flying dude from far, and then throw an emp nade from somewhat closer and rush in for the slaughter. Saving civilians sucks. Those fucking enemies tend to shoot civs RIGHT AWAY when they see you.
I wasn't able to save that one until I...

1./Threw a red phosphorus grenade at the GRAD.
2./Ninja-killed the guy on the ledge.
3./Approached the two holding the hostage from behind (I hit them with a couple of rocket launchers afterward).

I wound up needing to repeat that rescue attempt more than any other in order to figure it out.

branny

What (if anything) do the alternate costumes change about gameplay? Or are they just purely cosmetic?
Some offer benefits. From the guide:

Custom Body (Red): Improves Raiden's Strength, but weakens his Defense and Consumption attributes.
Custom Body (Blue): Improves Raiden's Defense, but weakens his Strength and Absorption attributes.
Custom Body (Yellow): Improves Raiden's Defense, Absorption, and Consumption attributes.
Custom Body (Desperado): Makes Raiden slightly less likely to be spotted by Desperado units.

Exact bonuses:

Custom Body (Red): Strength x1.15, Defense x0.85, Absorb x1.2, Consume x1.2
Custom Body (Blue): Strength x0.85, Defense x1.1, Absorb x0.8, Consume x1
Custom Body (Yellow): Strength x1, Defense x1.15, Absorb x1.25, Consume x0.75

The pre-order ones like Inferno Armor do stuff, too, but they're not in the guide. The rest are purely cosmetic, AFAIK.

McNum

There's one move in the game that I'm pretty sure will never get old to me: Divekick on flying enemies.

I locked on and did the divekick hoping it would do what I thought it would. Sure enough, Raiden speeds off diagonally upwards and kicks the jetpack guy in the face. One aerial L, L, L, H, H combo later and he's on the ground with Raiden standing over him. Zandatsu time!

burgerdog

One major gripe with the game is the amount of bullets and rpg fire. Nothing pisses me off more than some wimpy bullets breaking my combo or knocking me out of the air.

This final form... Fuck me, I can't do it. I don't want to back out and farm for health so I'm trying to slice the debris and only nailed it once.How in the fuck is this so hard!? Give me just a little more time to line up my slice FFS! I know I can run, but I want the health that presumably drops (I forgot to equip it when I did it right).

jett

D-Member
One major gripe with the game is the amount of bullets and rpg fire. Nothing pisses me off more than some wimpy bullets breaking my combo or knocking me out of the air.

RPGs out of nowhere are super annoying. I wonder how much was this game tested overall. Some while ago I totally destroyed Mistral in less than a minute with the Pincer Blades in Revengeance difficulty. Those things are really unbalanced.

GolazoDan

I'm kinda bad at the game, I kept on getting whooped by the first real boss (
wolfy!
). First round was easy, second was fine if I could avoid his pounce and third was more of the same with more pouncing, not too bad if I trashed the Gecko without many problems.

I tell you what though, that boss fight, while it frustrated me due to my shittiness and the camera being mental, it really taught me how to parry. The next boss fight wasn't nearly as bad because I was just parrying, parrying, parrying. Parry and counter strike, heck yeah. Something very pleasing about finishing a boss fight by just belting that right stick all over the place. I CUT YOU UP SO MUCH THAT YOU DON'T EXIST ANYMORE.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
The final boss Zan Datsu is BROKEN, every time i do it, it doesn't work or the camera goes to the bottom of the screen. i think i will order a new controller. there really must be something wrong with my joysticks.

RangerBAD

Finally beat the game on Hard. I'll list off some of my embarrassing endgame stats. Over rank was D. Clear time was 16+ hours (Play Time was 20+). Continued 258 times. Up until Chapter 5 I had no upgrades and didn't use any Nanopaste until the Monsoon fight, so that probably made it harder for me. Got 7 titles. Most of them were for taking 10+ hours to finish the game. lol

It's a great game. A lot of fun and badassery. I'm wondering about all these segments I missed and where I can find them.

Crap I destroyed a bridge but accidentally sliced up a bridge leading up to a gray box.

Happened to me in that part too. I kept stealth killing the silver back and cutting the catwalk too. Eventually managed to change the angle of my cut.

branny

RPGs out of nowhere are super annoying. I wonder how much was this game tested overall. Some while ago I totally destroyed Mistral in less than a minute with the Pincer Blades in Revengeance difficulty. Those things are really unbalanced.
Did that strategy give you an S-Rank on her? I'm too scared to pull those blades out on Revengeance, lol.

Dead

well not really...yet
Finally beat the game on Hard. I'll list off some of my embarrassing endgame stats. Over rank was D. Clear time was 16+ hours (Play Time was 20+). Continued 258 times. Up until Chapter 5 I had no upgrades and didn't use any Nanopaste until the Monsoon fight, so that probably made it harder for me. Got 7 titles. Most of them were for taking 10+ hours to finish the game. lol

It's a great game. A lot of fun and badassery. I'm wondering about all these segments I missed and where I can find them.

Happened to me in that part too. I kept stealth killing the silver back and cutting the catwalk too. Eventually managed to change the angle of my cut.
20! Damn!

Im at 9h30m at the final boss lol

burgerdog

Could be a result of the short development time that they had. If they make Rising 2 I hope that they do away with gunfire and RPGs. It's simply no fun at all, if I decide to go after the guy shooting me and the guy that I was actually fighting doesn't follow me, I end up in the same situation, now he's the one shooting. Bleh, it feels exactly like the original Ninja Gaiden 2 sometimes, EAT SOME EXPLOSIVE ARROWS TO RUIN YOUR FUN!

branny

Could be a result of the short development time that they had. If they make Rising 2 I hope that they do away with gunfire and RPGs. It's simply no fun at all, if I decide to go after the guy shooting me and the guy that I was actually fighting doesn't follow me, I end up in the same situation, now he's the one shooting. Bleh, it feels exactly like the original Ninja Gaiden 2 sometimes, EAT SOME EXPLOSIVE ARROWS TO RUIN YOUR FUN!
In MGR you can stun things and/or knock them over and stuff, though (items, sai, sliding, perfect parry). There's also ninja run and slide for gunfire and rockets, respectively, and you can even cut rockets if you don't feel like dodging them. MGR gives you a lot more tools to deal with that BS than NG2, imo. :(

edit: Fenrir railgun is the most annoying to me, personally.

jett

D-Member
Did that strategy give you an S-Rank on her? I'm too scared to pull those blades out on Revengeance, lol.

No, I wasn't trying for S, I died a bunch of times before trying the pincer blades. If I had gotten the no health bonus I may have, but I didn't. :p Exploting dodge offset is the right way to use those things. Dodge after your attacks hit so you skip the rest of the animation. Your combo string continues after you dodge, that includes the charged moves. And you can cancel the animations at any point with a dodge if you think you're going to be attacked while charging. It's obscenely powerful.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Finally beat it, holy shit at that final boss :lol.

Great stuff Platinum, great stuff.

DAT AFTER-CREDITS SCENE

branny

No, I wasn't trying for S, I died a bunch of times before trying the pincer blades. If I had gotten the no health bonus I may have, but I didn't. :p Exploting dodge offset is the right way to use those things. Dodge after your attacks hit so you skip the rest of the animation. Your combo string continues after you dodge, that includes the charged moves. And you can cancel the animations at any point with a dodge if you think you're going to be attacked while charging. It's obscenely powerful.
Yeah, the Defensive Offense dodge is so godly. I love it. I haven't messed around with the Pincer Blades enough yet to think about combining them with dodging...brb lol

chrono01

And it's after every notable event, IE the fight that ended the demo.
Not only that, but there's Codec conversations even during the fights [Bladewolf, for example].

I'm constantly checking in. I only wish that there was a notification of sorts informing you that new conversations were available.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Not only that, but there's Codec conversations even during the fights [Bladewolf, for example].

I'm constantly checking in. I only wish that there was a notification of sorts informing you that new conversations were available.

Not only that but there's different ones at different stages of the fight

There are new codec lines for pretty much every stage of every boss. Sometimes characters have multiple lines

it's really tiring trying to be through with it, but for a first run I didn't mind it simply because I enjoyed all the supplemental story bits. Kojipro rationalizes EVERYTHING within the narrative. Nothing is purely to service gameplay for them

Teknoman

Hmm...the whole
child
soldier thing is kinda disturbing. I mean, I kinda had a laugh at how crazy that scene was when you get the codec warning, thinking I was supposed to have handled the situation a little quieter...but now it feels off. I guess thats the Metal Gear side of things coming out.

chrono01

Not only that but there's different ones at different stages of the fight

There are new codec lines for pretty much every stage of every boss. Sometimes characters have multiple lines

it's really tiring trying to be through with it, but for a first run I didn't mind it simply because I enjoyed all the supplemental story bits

Oh wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for the warning, I'll have to keep that in-mind.

For the trophy, does anyone know what percentage of the conversations you need to listen to? It says "most of" so I'm not entirely sure how generous it is.

Tips on lining up against the debris? How to increase time? Fucking killing me here. Yes, I know I can avoid it but I need the health.

And watching youtube vids, these people are dealing major damage. HOW?! I'm on Hard mode btw.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for the warning, I'll have to keep that in-mind.

For the trophy, does anyone know what percentage of the conversations you need to listen to? It says "most of" so I'm not entirely sure how generous it is.

Hopefully I'll know tomorrow

I'd like to think I did everything starting from stage 2.

I did forget to do any during the monsoon fight and almost ignored codec entirely in stage 1, so going to clear that on my hard run and hope that triggers it

if not I wouldn't even know where to start. I'm definitely not about to do the entire game over like I did.

Ken

Finished the game on hard. Loved it. Few bits I disliked though:

Raiden "drunk" sequence before Monsoon fight. For a game about moving fast, forcing me to move slower than a walk killed it a bit.

Final boss fight. Yeah.

A few bad checkpoints here and there.

The Sam fight was a little underwhelming.

Cutting Sundowner's shields at specific points felt weird when trying to aim.

Eusis

Not tripping, it was removed from the game, although you do see it in one of the cutscenes earlier on.
Was that even shown post-Platinum? They did change a lot in the transition, it probably has one of the most troubled development histories for a game that didn't take over 5 years for release from announcement (announced at E3 2009 now that I look back, so ALMOST 4 years.)

chrono01

Hopefully I'll know tomorrow

I'd like to think I did everything starting from stage 2.

I did forget to do any during the monsoon fight and almost ignored codec entirely in stage 1, so going to clear that on my hard run and hope that triggers it

if not I wouldn't even know where to start. I'm definitely not about to do the entire game over like I did.

Yeah, that should be more than enough, IMO [basically every codec conversation from Stage 2 onwards]. If not...that would be pretty brutal. ~_~

If you don't receive it, I definitely understand why you wouldn't want to go through it all again. As interesting as the conversations can be, they definitely do interrupt the action, and some of them can go on for an extended period of time.

Here's hoping you're successful!

Top Bottom