• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

YoungOne

I'm getting wrecked by those two mechs you fight in the underground after you do dwarf gecko area. When I'm busy with one the other stands back shoot those stupid missles.

bitoriginal

That makes more sense. The guide mentions it in the Titles section for the Naked & Unloved title

"This can only be accomplished by selecting the new game option, which deletes your BP, resets all customization unlocks and purchases, and your progress on all difficulty levels, but leaves collectibles, titles and VR mission progress intact. For obvious reasons, completionists may wish to leave this title until last"

Hmm, maybe I was lucky and didn't play through the prologue or something then. Doesn't appear to have deleted progress as far as I can see but I guess it would be better not to try it! This could catch some people out.

Hmm, maybe I was lucky and didn't play through the prologue or something then. Doesn't appear to have deleted progress as far as I can see but I guess it would be better not to try it! This could catch some people out.

You could copy your save to another slot and try it there. I'll probably try that in a little bit

Dead

well not really...yet
I wonder why they didn't just roll Chapter 5 and 6 into one. Seemed kinda useless to have them separated.

Would have liked one more chapter the size of 1-4 in the game :( But considering the some of the asset reuse, its obvious that wasn't possible.

Hopefully the Blade/Sam DLC is meaty though

Does "manual" saving actually do anything? I get to a checkpoint, kill some guys, go back to take care of the backup, save before doing so, die in battle... and wind up back at the checkpoint, before the first fight.

This is starting to remind me of my first go arounds with Vanquish.

When I got it, I thought it was cool, but was disappointed that it wasn't bigger. Then, when I played it again, and knew how to play it right, I had a blast. I still play it all the time, to this day.

I'm playing MGR on hard again(not new game plus), and I'm having a freaking blast. I think it's even going to be more fun the second time around, now that I'm not mucking around with figuring out controls and attacks.

Carbonox

I need to get some kinda encounter map since I always appear to miss something.

The guide says that using stealth in combat situations may result in you missing a segment in the chapter finish screen. I'd start from there really and avoid using stealth altogether for one run to see if that finishes up every slot in a chapter.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I wonder why they didn't just roll Chapter 5 and 6 into one. Seemed kinda useless to have them separated.

Would have liked one more chapter the size of 1-4 in the game :( But considering the some of the asset reuse, its obvious that wasn't possible.

Hopefully the Blade/Sam DLC is meaty though

I love it because I can just fight that boss whenever. Part of me wishes each boss was its own separate chapter.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You guys.

I think this is in contention for not only my game of the year, but also my soundtrack of the year. Just... fuck. I can't string together a competent paragraph as to why I think the soundtrack works so well in-game at the moment, but it just does. They make the battles and bosses so damn hype.

Does "manual" saving actually do anything? I get to a checkpoint, kill some guys, go back to take care of the backup, save before doing so, die in battle... and wind up back at the checkpoint, before the first fight.

Manual saving will save your current weapon selections and sub-weapon counts, all the item crates reset when you load a game so you can pick up an item, manually save, load the save and get the item again.

Dead

well not really...yet
I love it because I can just fight that boss whenever. Part of me wishes each boss was its own separate chapter.
On second thought, that would have been the choice.

On that whole reload the save/restock item drop thing, I accidentally found out about it and took advantage of it only once. Chapter 4 with the
mini boss-rush
. Kept reloading to get 5 pastes, and then when I went into that battle...I barely used them. LOL.

Teknoman

You guys.

I think this is in contention for not only my game of the year, but also my soundtrack of the year. Just... fuck. I can't string together a competent paragraph as to why I think the soundtrack works so well in-game at the moment, but it just does. They make the battles and bosses so damn hype.

Platinum.

bitoriginal

You guys.

You should play Anarchy Reigns and see what you think of the music in that. I'm presonally not into the music in either but it seemed a pretty similar deal.

The guide says that using stealth in combat situations may result in you missing a segment in the chapter finish screen. I'd start from there really and avoid using stealth altogether for one run to see if that finishes up every slot in a chapter.

In one mission you even have to use stealth to get a collectible/ easter egg.
It won't spawn otherwise.

burgerdog

You guys.

The track that kicks in as you're about to fight Monsoon got me so damn hyped and then I proceeded to parry like 25 attacks in a row. Simply too good.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You should play Anarchy Reigns and see what you think of the music in that. I'm presonally not into the music in either but it seemed a pretty similar deal.
The Anarchy Reigns soundtrack is actually in my soundtrack backlog, so if it's a similar deal, I'm looking forward to listening to it.

The track that kicks in as you're about to fight Monsoon got me so damn hyped and then I proceeded to parry like 25 attacks in a row. Simply too good.
Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I think the music works so well. Not necessarily the vocals but they help, but the instrumentation fits gearing the player up to use the game mechanics in their fullest sense. Going into blade mode and parrying really hits the spot when taking the music into account. So good.

Carbonox

In one mission you even have to use stealth to get a collectible/ easter egg.
It won't spawn otherwise.

Oh yeah I'm not saying don't use stealth ever. Just don't use it for at least one run-through to ensure you get every ranked battle segment or at least all that you can get before trying other methods to finishing up every ranked fight.

There are also secret battles by backtracking to previous areas that count as ranked fights in the chapter screen, and I don't mean the ones Boris tells you about (signal interception or whatever). The secret ones require you to find them yourself.

Shaanyboi

Banned
So... What do you guys think? Considering the truncated nature of Platinum's development of this game, do they deserve a chance for an MGR2?

Goddamn it I just finished the game and went into the next difficulty under New Game instead of continue and I overwrote my progress. Yes I realize that this is my fault but it still pisses me off.

Carbonox

So... What do you guys think? Considering the truncated nature of Platinum's development of this game, do they deserve a chance for an MGR2?

Of course, why not? Especially if Kojima convinces them to do it on the Fox Engine like he wants. That would be something incredible.

So do I have to go non-stealth to get all the encounters? I S-Ranked everything in Ch.1 Rev, but I still had a missing encounter
There's a hidden encounter in the Hammerhead encounter spot after the Wolf fight. Once you collect the arm to unlock the door go back to that spot.

There is at least one encounter that I know of that requires you to be spotted for it to count in chapter 3, a grunt on the roof can be stealth killed and won't count for anything, but if you get spotted more enemies and a Hammerhead spawn and count for rank. There are a couple of sneaky ones like at the end of 3
when you're mindfucked you still have to kill everyone in the next area prior to getting ganged up on before Sam comes for the Monsoon fight.

Oh yeah I'm not saying don't use stealth ever. Just don't use it for at least one run-through to ensure you get every ranked battle segment or at least all that you can get before trying other methods to finishing up every ranked fight.

There are also secret battles by backtracking to previous areas that count as ranked fights in the chapter screen, and I don't mean the ones Boris tells you about (signal interception or whatever). The secret ones require you to find them yourself.

Hah, this is good to know 'cause I missed them all :)

Gloam

Think I'm gonna give up for the day. I'm at the Server Room with
Mistrel/Monsoon redux
. Only have one Ration and the second leg of the fight is kicking my ass, was hoping to DFO the game, but I guess I'll have to warm up the leftovers tomorrow.

Bedlam

Uhm, so I love the game and everything but is anyone else just a little disappointed that there's no driving stage in the game? I mean,
when Raiden mounts the chopper and with the following badass cutscene, I was getting ready for some Road Rash/Full Throttle-style road fury - only with a katana instead of a chain. Unfortunately it didn't happen. :-/

Carbonox

Uhm, so I love the game and everything but is anyone else just a little disappointed that there's no driving stage in the game? I mean,
when Raiden mounts the chopper and with the following badass cutscene, I was getting ready for some Road Rash/Full Throttle-style road fury - only with a katana instead of a chain. Unfortunately it didn't happen. :-/

Despite the problematic sections in Bayonetta, I would have liked to have seen a driving one too. Especially in the chapter where Raiden
gets the motorbike. Some chase/Road Rash style section would have been fun

Was there any mention of
Snake or Otacon
in CODEC calls?

The former yes - brought up in a conversation between Kevin and Raiden but that's it. The latter, I have yet to hear anything Codec-wise though I'm pretty sure you hear his voice when you find the cyborgs hidden in boxes.

Dead

well not really...yet
I was totally expecting that to happen when that scene came up. Was honestly surprised it didn't lol

Think I'm gonna give up for the day. I'm at the Server Room with
Mistrel/Monsoon redux
. Only have one Ration and the second leg of the fight is kicking my ass, was hoping to DFO the game, but I guess I'll have to warm up the leftovers tomorrow.

You can reload the checkpoint and farm health items (the red box) :)

1. Get item
2. save
3. Reload last checkpoint
4....do it again

Bedlam

Despite the problematic sections in Bayonetta, I would have liked to have seen a driving one too. Especially in the chapter where Raiden
Yes, those stages were pretty janky in Bayonetta but I still kinda liked them for breaking up the pace. It would've been perfect with the setting in MGR in that chapter.

I was totally expecting that to happen when that scene came up. Was honestly surprised it didn't lol
I wouldn't be suprised if they cut the section in late development. The build-up was there in the chapter before, the respective chapter is unusually short and that part feels a little disjointed as well.

Dead

well not really...yet

The former yes - brought up in a conversation between Kevin and Raiden but that's it. The latter, I have yet to hear anything Codec-wise though I'm pretty sure you hear his voice when you find the cyborgs hidden in boxes.
The latter does get brought up in at least one codec with Doktor, maybe more?

Dr Dogg

Considering that was the worst thing about Bayonetta not really.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Sunny also talks about
Otacon
directly

Not sure if she has any lines about
Snake.
Despite my efforts I didn't get the codec trophy on my initial run. :(

but I know where I missed a bunch so gonna try and get it on hard while doing no damage boss runs

Carbonox

Oh yeah is there ever a reference to
Solidus
in this game? Still trying to hear every codec call possible but I've heard nawt on him. You'd think the promo material for this game way back would have hinted towards at least something directly involving him.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Problem with this game is that it goes a bit too overboard as if it wasnt bad enough in MGS4 with Raiden swinging the Gecko around, with that in mind semi ruins the series. Now its in the real of total "anime" with all the things that happen in MGR:R.

The thing that is appealing about Metal Gear in general is the fact that the main character for the most part is fairly human and you are put against crazy odds. This game is more sticking you in the role of some sort of insanely over powered superhero mixed in with a bunch of crazy enemies.

If there are this many cyborgs and such, how would one expect to deal with them if they were snake for example.

To all of those who talk about all the "great" things Kojima is saying about the game. One has to remember hes part of upper management now and not just a developer. Therefore giving "support" by personally going to promotional events, verbal and written is all part in him having to promote the brand to make money for the company. That and ensure that hardliner fans would consider picking up the game seeing that he supports it.

This is in no means putting the games mechanics down since in that sense its a fairly good game. Though do feel that it was pushed out a little early seeing some of the issues with it. But for whats been done and out, do think that Platinum did a very good job with what they had.

Solidus
in this game? Still trying to hear every codec call possible but I've heard nawt on him. You'd think the promo material for this game way back would have hinted towards at least something directly involving him.

I think they had tried to avoid anything major or meaningful in the sense to not mess with the MG canon and paint themselves into a corner with having to reference MGR:R in the next real MG game.

Sajjaja

Solidus

I think right after you meet George, and talk to Kevin on codec, they mention him.

Top Bottom