• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Neiteio

QUESTION! I haven't beat the game yet -- just past Sam -- but if I wanted to showcase an earlier chapter to someone tonight, I could do so through Chapter Select without losing any progress in my main game, right? I'd still be able to pick up where I left off later?

Also, just downloaded the soundtrack off Amazon. Godly.

Ken

QUESTION! I haven't beat the game yet -- just past Sam -- but if I wanted to showcase an earlier chapter to someone tonight, I could do so through Chapter Select without losing any progress in my main game, right? I'd still be able to pick up where I left off later?

Also, just downloaded the soundtrack off Amazon. Godly.

You lose your current checkpoint. But if you just got past
Sam
, you should be right at the start of the next chapter so you could just resume that from chapter select anyways?

burgerdog

Was that even shown post-Platinum? They did change a lot in the transition, it probably has one of the most troubled development histories for a game that didn't take over 5 years for release from announcement (announced at E3 2009 now that I look back, so ALMOST 4 years.)

It was actually one of the first things platinum showed if my memory serves me right.

Neiteio

You lose your current checkpoint. But if you just got past
Sam
, you should be right at the start of the next chapter so you could just resume that from chapter select anyways?
Yeah, I'm right at the start of Chapter 7, so if I went back to show off Chapter 2 or 3, I could just re-select Ch. 7 later on even though I haven't beat it yet, right?

I've tried searching for any mention of this releasing digitally on PSN, but can't seem to find anything. Anyone know if there are plans to soon?

chrono01

...fucking seriously?

Though now that I think about it, I guess that's why the lock glows blue in Augment View. Christ, now I gotta go back and get them all...

Look on the bright-side.

It gives you even more game-time with this incredible game. >:)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Just bought the hard copy of the vocal soundtrack. I felt like I needed to.

Think I might finish this game later tonight. And that'll be my third game for 4 in Feb.

george_us

RPGs out of nowhere are super annoying. I wonder how much was this game tested overall. Some while ago I totally destroyed Mistral in less than a minute with the Pincer Blades in Revengeance difficulty. Those things are really unbalanced.
Indeed. This game does have a lot of small flaws that come from the result of a super short dev cycle but hot DAMN what a ride it is. Platinum Games ALWAYS delivers an amazing experience despite any flaws their games have.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
fbfJuxN.jpg

X rare books X

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Get out of here, seriously?

I must suck horribly then. I died three times against the metal gear in the prologue -_- and there's no way I can no damage monsoon.

Hahah, it wasn't my first playthrough. It took me a couple hours, man. There are achievements for beating each humanoid boss on Hard or higher with no damage.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
...fucking seriously?

Though now that I think about it, I guess that's why the lock glows blue in Augment View. Christ, now I gotta go back and get them all...

lol I only found that out too near the end of the game when I was just screwing around irritated with the fact I couldnt seem to open the boxes

This game makes me happy to be a gamer.

Word. I haven't had a dumb smile on my face for so long since Bayonetta. I'm loving this. When everything comes together it feels SO GOOD.

But dat camera against enemies that tend to hop around....and when there's multiple of them....in a small space *blargh*

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I wonder if the camera would be fixable in a patch.

I think part of the problem too is how the targeting system works along side camera function.

Really wish that the slide wasnt magnetic too. Since it screws up sometimes when trying to use it as a form of evasion when there are enemies near by. Granted I know its an attack and attacks in this game are magnetic in general.

Jawmuncher

DAT FINAL BOSS

The whole time this was all I was thinking
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UIRdauXlyU

In a good way though since I wasn't expecting something so crazy.
At the same time though after beating it while I had a lot of fun with it, part of me wishes it was more serious in tone like it was originally planned. But at the same time when it's this fun and over the top I can kind of forgive that.

I wonder if the camera would be fixable in a patch.

It's my only huge problem with the game, really. Bullets/RPGs from off screen with little to no warning would be the other, but it's not even on the same scale of annoyance.

BUT THEN THE MUSIC SYNCHRONIZES WITH A BOSS GOING SUPER TURBO EDITION, AND I NO LONGER CARE ABOUT THE CAMERA ISSUES.

THIS GAME.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Okay, I'm sorry... I know it's been answered many times before; but now that I actually have time to play, I can't find that breakdown. Please help, and sorry for the repetition:

On PS3:

If bad guy is flashing orange, press SQUARE + DIRECTION OF ENEMEY to parry. The closer to impact you wait, the better.

If bad guy is flashing... yellow... you can dodge, correct? How? I'm on the Gekkos early in chapter 1, and they keep kicking me. How do I avoid that?

And if they're blue, it's Blade Mode time, right? Slash the square and drain their fluids, yes?

It's my only huge problem with the game, really. Bullets/RPGs from off screen with little to no warning would be the other, but it's not even on the same scale of annoyance.

BUT THEN THE MUSIC SYNCHRONIZES WITH A BOSS GOING SUPER TURBO EDITION, AND I NO LONGER CARE ABOUT THE CAMERA ISSUES.

THIS GAME.

Getting stuck on walls seems to be one of the biggest issues with the camera. R-02 is one of the biggest offenders here. Fixing that alone would go a long way.

And FUCK YEAH to your second point. Hell, it's a fucking incentive. Sure I could kill Sundowner without destroying his shields but then the FUCK AWESOME vocals wouldn't kick in.

Also, does anyone have any tips for getting no damage on R-02 optional encounter (4 water skimmers and some Dwarves) on Revengeance? The skimmers generally pincer me and I can't deal with them fast enough.

branny

I'll tell you one thing.

It's been a fucking while since I played a game where I fought bosses with a smile on my face the entire time. I hope this continues through to the end.
Lol, that was so me my first playthrough, too. And trying the Revengeance difficulty for the first time. Ughhh, love this game.

If bad guy is flashing... yellow... you can dodge, correct? How? I'm on the Gekkos early in chapter 1, and they keep kicking me. How do I avoid that?
You either get out of the way or carefully time a Defensive Offense (square+X/X+A) to abuse invincibility frames.

You know what I don't like? That the awesome - and IMO best vocal track - "It has to be this way" track isn't the music for the fight against
Samuel
and it's instead the music for the less appealing
Senator
. It would have been the PERFECT song for the former.

But
Sam
whole point was the need of fight Raiden. And is implied in the final codec calls of the Winds of Destruction that
Armstrong is trying to recruit/test Raiden. This also explains the hug

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't know if they could outright make the camera amazing, but I could see a patch to make it less clingy. I had some annoying spots where it would swing around to an enemy I wasn't focusing on for some reason.

Marlowe89

Finally got around to finishing the game. The story was a bit stupid at times (even for me) but the boss battles themselves were fucking top notch.

Amazing game overall. Challenging, too, if you happen to be playing on a good difficulty.

Mupod

Hikari-chan, so kawaii.

The final boss:
It wasn't as bad as you guys said it would be, you bunch of babies. And I'm on Hard.

Okay cutting the blocks he tosses at you was nearly impossible but I only needed to get it right once. And that was the attempt I won. Man that felt so good.

It honestly reminded me of the Black Baron fight from Madworld including what appeared to be a direct reference to it. That fight was really badass except for the game not reading one specific wiimote input, so I guess they have a lot in common.

But yeah I don't think it'd be that bad on Revengeance if you were actually good at cutting those things he throws.

Did anyone else play on normal and breeze through it except for the Monsoon fight? It's the only point in the game where I needed to use a health pack and I had to use 4.

JB1981

I'm playing the demo. Why am I so bad at parrying? How do you parry consistently ? Do I have to constantly tap square and use the left stick. Do I have to time them both together just as the enemy attacks ? Wtf ?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Daamn I'm loving this game. Combat system just clicked.

Top Bottom