• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Endo Punk

Finished the opening act.......

We're+not+worthy.gif

And it's about fucking time :D For as much as I love Platinum due to the veteran developers and appreciate their games not one actually clicked with me until MGR.

Pulling an all nighter for this beautiful game, not since NG has an action game felt this good to me.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Doktor has some slightly odd comments about
wanting to talk with Sunny, then also mentions wanting to meet Otacon too. Raiden says he doesn't think they'll get along, which disappoints Dok.

Dead

well not really...yet
Oh yeah is there ever a reference to
Solidus
in this game? Still trying to hear every codec call possible but I've heard nawt on him. You'd think the promo material for this game way back would have hinted towards at least something directly involving him.
aside from the numerous, and I mean numerous, past references to the "sears program" I haven't seen anything

demidar

Finished the opening act.......

We're+not+worthy.gif

And it's about fucking time :D For as much as I love Platinum due to the veteran developers and appreciate their games not one actually clicked with me until MGR.

Pulling an all nighter for this beautiful game, not since NG has an action game felt this good to me.

You gonna go back and play the ones that didn't click?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
aside from the numerous, and I mean numerous, past references to the "sears program" I haven't seen anything

Which is quite odd considering how big of an influence Snake was to Raiden. Plus with the point of how Raiden basically idolized Snake.

Really do think that they should have left Sunny out of this game though, even if she does seem to fit in ok with the story and what shes doing. Really was a waste of the reintroduction of an important character.

Problem with this game is that it goes a bit too overboard as if it wasnt bad enough in MGS4 with Raiden swinging the Gecko around, with that in mind semi ruins the series. Now its in the real of total "anime" with all the things that happen in MGR:R.

The thing that is appealing about Metal Gear in general is the fact that the main character for the most part is fairly human and you are put against crazy odds. This game is more sticking you in the role of some sort of insanely over powered superhero mixed in with a bunch of crazy enemies.
Well yes, that's why the game was made. If it were meant to be "grounded in reality" (and I use that term VERY loosely when talking about Metal Gear as a whole) then you would be playing as Snake. The Cyborgs in MGS have always been crazy overpowered; now you get to play as one of them and enjoy that feeling.

Moonlight

Banned
Alright, so I'm trying to farm nanopaste at the beginning of the final chapter and it's not saving when I restart checkpoint. Did they fix that or something?

RkOwnage

Well, earlier I was frustrated beyond all belief with the final boss, but I had that feeling of being incomplete until I finished it. So, I put on my "big boy" pants and continued on through the constant dying and getting owned.

Finally beat the game, took me about 3 hours of attempts on the boss....and I am embarrassed to say it was on Medium. I went into the fight with 0 paste and absolutely suck at precision cutting, but I got it down....and beat the game.

....I dare not try Hard.

Carbonox

Which is quite odd considering how big of an influence Snake was to Raiden. Plus with the point of how Raiden basically idolized Snake.

Really do think that they should have left Sunny out of this game though, even if she does seem to fit in ok with the story and what shes doing. Really was a waste of the reintroduction of an important character.

Speaking of Sunny, I was listening to a particular conversation between Raiden and I think Courtney where
it's revealed that Sunny's grandfather from MGS2 used to be pals with Boris, which I thought was interesting. Unrelated to this, it turns out Raiden's known Boris since Area 51, though in what capacity (why was Boris there?) I have yet to discover

Ken

Alright, so I'm trying to farm nanopaste at the beginning of the final chapter and it's not saving when I restart checkpoint. Did they fix that or something?

I just tried to do what you did. Restarting didn't work but here's what I ended up doing:

From start, run and pick up nanopaste.
Fight the first group of enemies and get the checkpoint.
Restart checkpoint and grab the nanopaste you picked up at the start.
Go through the rest of the stage and you'll get 2 more.
Should be enough as long as you don't use them prior to the final fight.

Astral

VR Mission 18 makes me not wanna even try Revengeance mode. That was fucking brutal. Is the GRAD the last enemy for that mission? I don't think I can take any more than that. Also, once fully upgraded, is the
Muramasa
stronger than the HF Blade?

Dr Dogg

Solidus
in this game? Still trying to hear every codec call possible but I've heard nawt on him. You'd think the promo material for this game way back would have hinted towards at least something directly involving him.

Well seeing as he shares the name George as in
George Sears aka Solidus
there is a moment when Raiden is talking to Kev about the kid and it's brought up subtly but Raiden stops him short.

Well, earlier I was frustrated beyond all belief with the final boss, but I had that feeling of being incomplete until I finished it. So, I put on my "big boy" pants and continued on through the constant dying and getting owned.

Finally beat the game, took me about 3 hours of attempts on the boss....and I am embarrassed to say it was on Medium. I went into the fight with 0 paste and absolutely suck at precision cutting, but I got it down....and beat the game.

....I dare not try Hard.

Same here. 0 paste. It took me 2 1/2 hours...but I loved every minute of the fight. I beat him in 10 minutes (skipped the cutscenes) on my second playthrough today... lol.

I LOVE THIS GAME.

VR Mission 18 makes me not wanna even try Revengeance mode. That was fucking brutal. Is the GRAD the last enemy for that mission? I don't think I can take any more than that. Also, once fully upgraded, is the
Muramasa
stronger than the HF Blade?

Yes and yes

Also, tip to make GRAD really, really easy:
use the Sai. Equip it before he spawns, it should be purple by then. Hit him with it, mash light attack while he's stunned. By the time he comes out of it, it'll be purple again, stun him again, rinse and repeat for about 100+ hits, Zandetsu, BULLSEYE

bitoriginal

Try speaking to sunny via codec and save, that might work. I didn't do that myself but apparently it works.

Despite the problematic sections in Bayonetta, I would have liked to have seen a driving one too. Especially in the chapter where Raiden
gets the motorbike. Some chase/Road Rash style section would have been fun

The former yes - brought up in a conversation between Kevin and Raiden but that's it. The latter, I have yet to hear anything Codec-wise though I'm pretty sure you hear his voice when you find the cyborgs hidden in boxes.

That was a huge missed opportunity, but maybe they didn't have time..

MGR2..
BELIEVE.

baphomet

How many chapters am I looking at in the game? At this point I'm just ready to finish it. I was expecting a lot more technical fighting, and the camera is awful a lot of the time.

Astral

Yes and yes

Also, tip to make GRAD really, really easy:
use the Sai. Equip it before he spawns, it should be purple by then. Hit him with it, mash light attack while he's stunned. By the time he comes out of it, it'll be purple again, stun him again, rinse and repeat for about 100+ hits, Zandetsu, BULLSEYE

Interesting. How does that thing work anyway? Sometimes it's blue, sometimes purple. Is it a timer?

Parakeetman

That was a huge missed opportunity, but maybe they didn't have time..

MGR2..
BELIEVE.

Am actually glad they didnt do that. Since if there has been one thing that Platinum never seems to get right at all is vehicle based sequences in their games. Not to mention I see it more as useless filler.

More boss fights would have been far more appreciated.

Interesting. How does that thing work anyway? Sometimes it's blue, sometimes purple. Is it a timer?

Timer. Needs to not be used to charge up. Purple = stun for the enemy upon impact.

bitoriginal

Regarding the resetting of unlocks by starting 'new game' after you've completed it: I pressed new game and played half of the prologue. I then quit, and started a new game via chapter, completed the prologue and still had all my skins, weapons and BP. During the prologue you're naked regardless of how you start it. So either it resets unlocks after you beat the prologue in new game or it just makes them unavailable during that new game playthrough.

I would like clarification but I'm too scared to try progressing through the prologue on new game. Either way, you're not gonna lose everything if you do accidently choose new game.

McNum

Well now... it's been a while since I've lost track of time due to a game. Metal Gear Rising has been added to a special club here. Thing the last one must have been Super Mario Galaxy or something.

Game's fun. Got to chapter R-04 and it's been one heck of a ride so far. Playing Raiden is pretty much exactly how I had hoped playing Raiden would be. Even if it's a bit violent. A lot violent. And now I got Ripper Mode, which turns the violence up a bit more. Looks like that's something to use against armored foes. So sad for whatever foe in armor I come across next. It's gonna get ripped.

I think I should try out the staff and sai, but I'm not sure what they can do exactly. Heard good stuff about the sai, though. Raiden could use a ranged attack... just one. Can you switch weapons in the middle of a fight by hitting left or right on the d-pad?

zychi

Banned
what the hell is the secret to this game? i am absolutely terrible at it. I'm playing on hard. I was awesome at Vanquish and Bayonetta. It took me 10 tries to kill the first begininng boss. HELP!

bitoriginal

what the hell is the secret to this game? i am absolutely terrible at it. I'm playing on hard. I was awesome at Vanquish and Bayonetta. It took me 10 tries to kill the first begininng boss. HELP!

Parry - Press direction on the left stick + X (or presumably square on ps3) when someone is about to hit you.

Dead

well not really...yet
Parry, parry, and parry!

Parakeetman

Go play through on normal, it becomes a little bit more forgiving the parry timing it seems.

If you dont get the parry system down the other bosses will destroy you lol

One thing that was a bit of a letdown is when you buy new skills how it does not seem to show you how to perform the move. Unlike in Bayonetta for example, there was a list of all of the available moves and how to perform them. Unless its hidden away in an irritating fashion only seems to be able to equip / unequip.

Mike M

Nick N
As everyone says, parry/block.

I was having a world of trouble with parrying until I realized I had to let go of the run button.

Thinking of starting up a hard playthrough. I want to experience the intensity of the boss battles again with dat dynamic soundtrack.

Seriously, I think MGR:R is my best action game of the year and best soundtrack of the year so far.

Everything about the game is so good, plus the dynamic soundtrack elevates boss fights to MEGA HYPE levels.

You know that feeling when you play a game and you're like "OH SHIT WTF AM I DOING THIS IS SO AWESOME ASDHWOAIDSKJAL", that was me during all the boss fights.

jett

D-Member
Snake
is mentioned in a codec, and Raiden pretty much confirms
he's still alive. Raiden kinda gushes over him, Kev accuses him of being a Solid Snake fanboy and Raiden says Snake would kill him if he heard him talking about him like that.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Solidus

His program is relevant to the game's central plot, which is why it was in promo material

Speaking of Sunny, I was listening to a particular conversation between Raiden and I think Courtney where
it's revealed that Sunny's grandfather from MGS2 used to be pals with Boris, which I thought was interesting. Unrelated to this, it turns out Raiden's known Boris since Area 51, though in what capacity (why was Boris there?) I have yet to discover

It's not developed any further than that

Ninja slide Zandatsu on normal, un-armored enemies!

And perfect parry everything else to get a free Zandatsu!

SkylineRKR

The Sai are pretty great. They have a latch on ability much like DmC does. And they place opponents in a stun, which is great against those big mechas and Gekko.

On a sidenote I love to do Raiden's 360 attack against a gang of dwarf gekkos by the way, lol.

Eusis

What's the reward for saving all civilians? Because the second one's a pain in the ass (on Hard though), so I'm not sure I really want to bother. Unless I can get the reward by replaying on Easy later, then whatever.

Dead

well not really...yet
What's the reward for saving all civilians? Because the second one's a pain in the ass (on Hard though), so I'm not sure I really want to bother. Unless I can get the reward by replaying on Easy later, then whatever.
I think the Civs only get you a Trophy

Korigama

Trophy/Achievement. I wouldn't know if there's anything else.

EDIT: Beaten.

Parakeetman

Thinking of starting up a hard playthrough. I want to experience the intensity of the boss battles again with dat dynamic soundtrack.

Seriously, I think MGR:R is my best action game of the year and best soundtrack of the year so far.

Everything about the game is so good, plus the dynamic soundtrack elevates boss fights to MEGA HYPE levels.

You know that feeling when you play a game and you're like "OH SHIT WTF AM I DOING THIS IS SO AWESOME ASDHWOAIDSKJAL", that was me during all the boss fights.

I wish they went the route of what PG did for Anarchy Reigns and had multiple artists doing music instead of a single one with what seems to be the case with MGR:R. Dont like the dudes vocals at all which killed some of the tracks once singing started.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

a trophy

there's only four of them in the entire game I think and the solution is always the same

hit the two guys holding him at gunpoint with some kind of projectile and they'll ignore him for the rest of the fight

there's an EMP grenade pick up to your left as soon as you enter that area

SkylineRKR

The one in Chapter 5 I couldn't even save.

The second one I did by first rocket launcher the flying dude from far, and then throw an emp nade from somewhat closer and rush in for the slaughter. Saving civilians sucks. Those fucking enemies tend to shoot civs RIGHT AWAY when they see you.

jett

D-Member

A trophy.

Eusis

Just a trophy? Figures after I was bitching about how trophies were brought in possibly blocking some PS3 releases from coming out of Japan, but I guess in this case it'd just be a rank upgrade if they magically didn't exist. May still aim for it, but if I keep having trouble I'm just barreling through, all that talk about the codecs is enough to scare me from even attempting a Platinum anyway. Ah well, thanks for the answers.

For saving civilians all you have to do is just throw an EMP grenade at the guards around them. The guards just ignore the civilian when they recover from it

Top Bottom