• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

It has nothing to do with knowing how to play. There are some cheap elements about it. I'm not a very good player, but I got to the last boss on hard, my first time through the game, with little difficulty. The most I died on any boss up to that point was Monsoon, and he took me out a total of one time. Yet I literally spent all day on the final boss because of his stupid area attacks which where cheap because of not only the camera but the fact that he'll make those flame barriers, forcing you into a tight space sometimes, and then do those area attacks that he does at the beginning of the fight -- meaning you're trapped with absolutely no means to dodge this.

you can dodge everything. provided you purchased and learned to use dodge offset, it has some pretty useful invincibility frames..the game hands down fails to teach you a lot of really useful things, you have to find them on message boards if you don' experiment or actually look at the move list, which is not good, every new technique you buy has MORE than enough space to add a description of HOW to use it.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
yeah you can forward dodge through his shockwave in reaction pretty much since it comes out so fast

he still has some moves you want to back clear out from though

when he does the delayed eruption attack you want to back off and stand in the safe zone on the field until the move clears

and when he does the persistent explosion attack you also want to clear out of the area of the blast.

The I-frames of the dodge won't really help you in either case. because of their duration

Yeah I've switched to running. Works better.

He still catches me with the area explosion, or random hits.

His damage just seems extreme, he literally kills you in four moves, sometimes three.

learn his patterns and master cutting his debris, that will save your butt, just make sure to turn on auto use when you have 4 and when
he turns green and tries to regenerate.. you can take a quarter of his life away by hitting the red box on his back in blade mode then wailing away on him when he's stunned (not in blade mode)
you'll make it, just keep at it, if you made it that far, you'll make it through..

The I-frames of the dodge won't really help you in either case. because of their duration

i think the wave keeps missing me, unless its one of the lingering flame walls, i can dodge right through it and ta him for extra hits..

GrayFoxPL

i1p3brLa8JsGY.gif

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Yeah I've switched to running. Works better.

He still catches me with the area explosion, or random hits.

His damage just seems extreme, he literally kills you in four moves, sometimes three.

I just dodged a lot. Like all the time. Didn't find parrying him to be all that useful usually, whereas with the dodge I could get extra attacks in all the time. Like others have said, if you
manage to slash all the boulders he throws at you, you'll get 4x Nanopaste
, which should make the rest of the fight pretty manageable if you're careful. Really, for me, the Blade Mode stuff was nearly impossible until I was reminded that the Left Stick exists.

I guess I am posting about this in hindsight though. Yesterday when I was stuck I was about to do something quite rash in my anger over this portion.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Final Boss. Hard. No Damage. Achievement Get!

That's all of the boss no damage ones.

As OP as the Fox Blade is, I'm glad I had it so that I could breeze through the final stage to rush back to the boss every time I screwed up. :p

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Final Boss is actually one of the easier bosses when you learn to deal with him

I think he'll be easier than monsoon to no damage because unlike the other bosses he has no real fast simple strikes.(even his front kick and combo strikes are pretty slow) All he really uses are big moves. You just gotta learn to recognize these different moves and link that recognition to the proper response in turn.

Some more tips for the last boss

When he glows gold, always do a back dodge first(no need for a direction, just press X+A) and then react to what he's going to do. He's either going to do an AoE move or his grapple. For his AoE, simply back dodge one more time, for his grapple, do a side dodge(and jump if you want to be safe)

Try to get behind him using the dodge, because when you're hitting his back, his attacks are limited, he'll usually do his backhand swipe, which you can easily dodge around again to get behind him again, I managed to bait him into doing that 5 times in a row and got almost 70% damage off that sequence.

As OP as the Fox Blade is, I'm glad I had it so that I could breeze through the final stage to rush back to the boss every time I screwed up. :p

word, its pretty much a "move #$$# get out the way" button for everything you're not worried about.

Ah, I was gonna tell you to back-up your save right before that scene, as in go back to title and copy your current file to another one. That way when you screw up, you can just reload the save instead of rushing through the whole level and fighting
the Metal Gear
all over again

SPOILERS is actually one of the easier bosses when you learn to deal with him

I think he'll be easier than monsoon to no damage because unlike the other bosses he has no real fast simple strikes.(even his front kick and combo strikes are pretty slow) All he really uses are big moves. You just gotta learn to recognize these different moves and link that recognition to the proper response in turn.

spoilers dude!! ha ha, i end up almost saying the name so many times myself.

branny

That boss is kind enough to telegraph whatever is coming like ten minutes in advance. It's just pattern recognition. Some people are making it sound like you have to do stuff that breaks your fingers. =\

That boss is kind enough to telegraph whatever is coming like ten minutes in advance. It's just pattern recognition. Some people are making it sound like you have to do stuff that breaks your fingers. =\

they either don't know you can dodge the debris or are doing that section wrong, the debris is the number one common rage quite portion of that fight.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I thought it was gonna be a problem, but it's actually a really simple and short segment. Kind of a spoiler? Putting it under a tag anyways unless you don't care about getting info about that section:
Getting into a fight down there gives you a small light source so you're not completely boned.

Eh, I stealth killed two of them by
upping the contrast on my TV and then had to deal with a few stragglers.

I'm now up to the
Monsoon fight
, which is doing my head in with the weird-ass attacks. Can't seem to defend worth shit and
ripper mode
doesn't have a tutorial for this part.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm now up to the
Monsoon fight
, which is doing my head in with the weird-ass attacks. Can't seem to defend worth shit and
ripper mode
doesn't have a tutorial for this part.

Yeah game does an interesting thing where it unlocks tutorials in VR missions instead of forcing the player to play them mid game.

Which is an interesting approach no doubt influenced by fan feedback on tutorials interrupting gameplay.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Fucking YouTube plug-in, spoiling shit for me. Ugh. :(

wow shit

sorry about that

I changed it to a hyperlink behind spoiler tags to hopefully prevent this from happening to others

I use the mobile client myself and didn't think of that. I'm truly sorry

Revven

Jumping is definitely super helpful on the final boss for evading some of his attacks (namely the dash grab).
Though, be warned, he CAN jump sometimes when he does the dash grab and get you in the air. I think what triggers him to do that is when you jump almost immediately after he's dashed. If he's at the end of the dash, he never jumps after you, so you have to time your jump appropriately for it.

Dodging it with square + X can be tricky, but that's also a viable option.

One thing that's absolutely annoying about the boss is his
dash kick that's super fucking fast. He almost always seems to do it when you start running at him and attempt to attack him. Thus, you're not prepared to parry it and then take a fucking hit for trying to go in when he's vulnerable. It's often also really cheap when he has the fire wall on him and you can't, visually, see the posture he's taken to know what he's going to do next

I, honestly, think the boss fight
would have been more fair if the fire walls didn't last nearly as long as they do. And also less unblockables in general.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ah, I was gonna tell you to back-up your save right before that scene, as in go back to title and copy your current file to another one. That way when you screw up, you can just reload the save instead of rushing through the whole level and fighting
the Metal Gear
all over again

Wow. That's really good advice. Wish I'd thought of it. Ah well. No more
Senator
! Until Revengeance Mode S-Ranking, anyway...

How the literal fuck?
You are a genius.

Use a slide or a dodge to avoid his grapple, just wait until he gets close. I actually just ran from the Zandatsu sections as per the advice of another GAF member.

But yeah, basically abuse that dodge. You can cancel anything unsafe into the dodge for a little extra damage and to backstep away from any counter.

wow shit

sorry about that

I changed it to a hyperlink behind spoiler tags to hopefully prevent this from happening to others

I use the mobile client myself and didn't think of that. I'm truly sorry

No, it's not your fault! I'll just have to remember to turn that off next time. Or not use it at all. Bleh.

Jumping is definitely super helpful on the final boss for evading some of his attacks (namely the dash grab).
Though, be warned, he CAN jump sometimes when he does the dash grab and get you in the air. I think what triggers him to do that is when you jump almost immediately after he's dashed. If he's at the end of the dash, he never jumps after you, so you have to time your jump appropriately for it.

Dodging it with square + X can be tricky, but that's also a viable option.

One thing that's absolutely annoying about the boss is his
dash kick that's super fucking fast. He almost always seems to do it when you start running at him and attempt to attack him. Thus, you're not prepared to parry it and then take a fucking hit for trying to go in when he's vulnerable. It's often also really cheap when he has the fire wall on him and you can't, visually, see the posture he's taken to know what he's going to do next

I, honestly, think the boss fight
would have been more fair if the fire walls didn't last nearly as long as they do. And also less unblockables in general.
i'm no offset dodge genius but when you can do it consistently, you get free hits off the final boss when you get down when the best times to do it. i usually do the idle version, i can be ready for a parry in that state.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm S-Ranking Rev mode right now, back-up saves is a godsend

Also, listen to those codecs, might as well get that trophy too

Yeah, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Argh, the codecs. I thought I'd listened to most of them this last playthrough, but I would just forget when a cool battle came up to check the codecs.

abrack08

Ready to throw my TV out the window because of this final boss. I have no nanopaste but I can't do the debris part, always get hit before I can line it up (not the first one). Really frustrating. Then, it only takes getting hit 3 or 4 times to die, so if I just dodge the debris there's pretty much no way I'll make it. Very frustrating.

jett

D-Member
Final boss rant. Three hours last night fighting him. First playthrough, hard difficulty. Going back to it now.

I'm fine until he throws the scrap metal at you in sequence. The first one is doable since you only need the right stick, but the second one you need to line things up with both shitty PS3 analog sticks within like two seconds, and if you fail you take 150% damage and the sequence resets. Only moment in the entire game where you need to do this, and it's under extreme time pressure and a fail state that puts you back at the beginning of a difficult boss battle.

I only have one health item. I have the main fight down completely, managed to get to the blade mode sequence without taking any damage, and still died.

Fuck off with your bullshit, game. :|

That throws off a lot of people for a loop. Seems it had the opposite effect on you it did on me, since I exclusively used the left stick and the face buttons for cutting throughout the entire game. :lol When I figured out you had to use both sticks it became really easy. You can run under his attack btw, but you won't get the health items that are dropped.

Also, it can' tbe said enough, DODGE in that fight. Time it correctly and Raiden will move through all of his attacks without taking damage.

bitoriginal

Ready to throw my TV out the window because of this final boss. I have no nanopaste but I can't do the debris part, always get hit before I can line it up (not the first one). Really frustrating. Then, it only takes getting hit 3 or 4 times to die, so if I just dodge the debris there's pretty much no way I'll make it. Very frustrating.

Restart the level and farm nanopaste, then get upto him again with 5. Honestly, trying to beat him without any really is an exercise in frustration.

I'm particularly annoyed with projectiles. I was fucking around with the doggy+rocket launcher battle in the prologue and it was downright silly.

You could
cut through the gate and skip it. That's what I ended up doing accidentally
. That fight is crazy.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
PlatinumGamesJP must laugh his ass off at the final boss bitching in here.

still "is loved and appreciated" GAF? :p

jett

D-Member

Use both sticks to line it up. Also, you only need to hit three squares.

I just can't wrap my head around some of the hyperbolic complaints here. It's not like MGR has fucking cheap, disgustingly overpowered, input-reading, MUGEN shit asshole bosses.

he's nowhere near the worst, but he's definitely got his quirks, gamers have been trained by a lot of really mediocre games that reward really simple methods of dispatching bosses, this one takes technique, and quizzes you on using everything you've learned, almost like a Soul's boss in its satisfaction factor, and he ceases to be an issue once you "learn" him.

it was literally THAT easy for me, some people are saying when try to snap to cut (or even trying to press the button to cut instead of analog slashing) it throws off their line..

i've been using the button to slash throughout the game, its second nature to me, but i can imagine people having issues adapting late in the game..

abrack08

I know that. I switched to Control Type D most of the game, aiming with the left stick, moving the camera with the right, that way I can line it up with the left stick and press Square. I still can't get it lined up in time, then I have to go back to the beginning of the fight.

jett

D-Member
i've been using the button to slash throughout the game, its second nature to me, but i can imagine people having issues adapting late in the game..

Using both sticks plus the face buttons would be a huge pain, I never needed to do that. You just have to lightly release the right stick, you don't need to move it along the cutting line.

I know that. I switched to Control Type D most of the game, aiming with the left stick, moving the camera with the right, that way I can line it up with the left stick and press Square. I still can't get it lined up in time, then I have to go back to the beginning of the fight.

are you tapping the attack button to cut or are you trying to analog cut?

Using both sticks plus the face buttons would be a huge pain, I never needed to do that. You just have to lightly release the right stick, you don't need to move it along the cutting line.

i can't do the analog cut, i feel its super counter intuitive...but if someones been using the analog snap the whole time, i could see how that would seem like a 3 handed method..it works 100% for me that way only though..

Didn't think the final boss was that bad. By the time I reached it I also had 0 nanopastes.
I forgot exactly what he does, but you can see him getting ready to do his area attack. Just ninja run behind him and you'll be clear.

For cutting up the rocks, make sure you use both analog sticks to adjust the cut. It makes it a lot easier to line it up.

jett

D-Member

Well if you're just completely unable to do it you can ninja run under his attack.

I also arrived with no nanopaste on my first time against that boss, those boulders were godsend to me once I figured two sticks was the way. :p

TreIII

Finally got game yesterday. Started playing at 11PM and didn't stop until after the Monsoon fight at 5AM.

Yeah, I really love this game. Monsoon is truly a fun fight.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah game does an interesting thing where it unlocks tutorials in VR missions instead of forcing the player to play them mid game.

Which is an interesting approach no doubt influenced by fan feedback on tutorials interrupting gameplay.

Except if VR missions are unlocked for that part, it made no mention with a quick "hey, you can try this mode out in VR to help you understand this boss-fight with this mode infinitely powered" codec message. No nothing. Just dumps you into the fighter, poor design there no matter how you want to defend it.

dan2026

Dude are you me?

Just fuck this boss and everything he stands for.
I think he is the hardest last action game boss I have ever faced.

Ninja Gaiden/Bayonetta/DMC, none had a last boss quite a bad a this shit.

I just rushed through it again, still on normal, trying to find all the secrets/collectibles. Still missed a few.

I've gotten a lot better, I think I died twice due to mach-speed running segments. Took me a while to get down blocking in sequence, but I got it now. My only real problem is the gorilla UGs. Those motherfuckers are a pain.

Might replay on hard mode sometime.

Top Bottom