• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Except if VR missions are unlocked for that part, it made no mention with a quick "hey, you can try this mode out in VR to help you understand this boss-fight with this mode infinitely powered" codec message. No nothing. Just dumps you into the fighter, poor design there no matter how you want to defend it.

I think the message pops up after the fight

jett

D-Member
Oh and those that have trouble with the final boss, I hope you never attempt to 1st rank all the VR Missions. :p

Hm, the codecs don't all have to be heard on one playthrough, do they?

I don't know. That trophy is bullcrap, I have no idea what codec calls I'm missing, I've called them at nearly every opportunity.

abrack08

are you tapping the attack button to cut or are you trying to analog cut?

i can't do the analog cut, i feel its super counter intuitive...but if someones been using the analog snap the whole time, i could see how that would seem like a 3 handed method..it works 100% for me that way only though..

Buttons, I gave up on trying to slice accurately with the analogue sticks in the Mistral fight. Much easier to line it up with the stick then press the button to have him slice exactly where the line is. That's why I switched to D, which puts the camera on the right stick and the aiming on the left stick in blade mode, so you can aim and press the button without having to take your finger off the (aiming) stick. Of course, having to move the camera totally messes this up haha.

EDIT: And I'd like to add, I really like the game. It's been hard (playing on Hard, don't know if I mentioned that), I've died a lot, but it's rewarding and a hell of a lot of fun. I'm just frustrated because of this one thing that's basically insta-death if you don't do it right I can't beat the boss.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know. That trophy is bullcrap, I have no idea what codec calls I'm missing, I've called them at nearly every opportunity.

call them during fights

call boris and doktor for information on every enemy type and call everyone at least once during every boss fight. and Boris and Doktor at every stage of the boss fight for new lines

Except if VR missions are unlocked for that part, it made no mention with a quick "hey, you can try this mode out in VR to help you understand this boss-fight with this mode infinitely powered" codec message. No nothing. Just dumps you into the fighter, poor design there no matter how you want to defend it.
What's there to know in the context of that fight? You can see that your fuel bar is now red, with some observation you can tell that your blade mode is now infinite use for that fight. That's all you really need to know.

Ripper mode doesn't affect the Monsoon fight in any way, other than the fact you have infinite fuel (The bar glowing red should be a good hint).

And then as someone have mentioned, a message tells you the VR tutorial on ripper mode is available after the fight

the shit camera also fucks you up as sometimes when you dodge you end up going right into a wall and getting a hit as a result

of course sometimes this cunt throws up a v shaped flame wall that traps me in only a small area of the field and then he flies into me and when I trey to avoid him i dodge right into some fire

Story wise you're already in "Ripper-Mode". You can't actually manually activate it while fighting Monsoon. It actually isn't poor design in this case.

Dude are you me?

Just fuck this boss and everything he stands for.
I think he is the hardest last action game boss I have ever faced.

Ninja Gaiden/Bayonetta/DMC, none had a last boss quite a bad a this shit.

Dodging the Emperor's lasers while on a hovering platform with the worst controls imaginable in NG is the worst shit ever.

branny

call them during fights

call boris and doktor for information on every enemy type and call everyone at least once during every boss fight. and Boris and Doktor at every stage of the boss fight for new lines
Ugh, that sounds like the opposite of fun. I haven't bothered listening to any yet, lol.

dan2026

the shit camera also fucks you up as sometimes when you dodge you end up going right into a wall and getting a hit as a result

of course sometimes this cunt throws up a v shaped flame wall that traps me in only a small area of the field and then he flies into me and when I trey to avoid him i dodge right into some fire

Yep that has happened to me several times.
Everything about this boss is designed to screw you.

Phatmac

Oh man, that last boss fight is incredible in so many ways. I had a good time with this game overall. Props to Platinum for finishing it.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh, that sounds like the opposite of fun. I haven't bothered listening to any yet, lol.

yeah if I didn't do it on my first playthrough when I was interested in all the story stuff I would have never done it

Can't imagine trying to do it in the middle of a Revengeance run

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I think the message pops up after the fight

I'm talking during the fight, though. That's my problem, they dump you into that mode and don't explain it. I mean, am I supposed to use it during that fight? Just ignore it because it's there for stylish reasons? What?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I'm talking during the fight, though. That's my problem, they dump you into that mode and don't explain it. I mean, am I supposed to use it during that fight? Just ignore it because it's there for stylish reasons? What?

It doesn't have any specific application in the context of that fight.

People are telling me your meter is just infinite for that one but I didn't even notice that my first run lol

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
are you tapping the attack button to cut or are you trying to analog cut?

i can't do the analog cut, i feel its super counter intuitive...but if someones been using the analog snap the whole time, i could see how that would seem like a 3 handed method..it works 100% for me that way only though..

Maybe I'm crazy, but even at this point, after reading your posts dozens of times, I can't figure out how you do what you are proposing. If you don't mind, is there any way you could give an actual step by step breakdown of what each of your fingers is doing? Just sounds like you have three thumbs every time I try to visualize it.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Finished. That fight took me nearly five hours. I only successfully cleared the diagonal cutting blade mode debris bullshit once, and then saw
the green glowing mode for the first time, was countered from the front, missed the rear blade mode hit inexplicably, and he gained back too much life and I died in frustration. So after failing the blade mode shit some more I said fuck it, ended up clearing him by dodging the debris throw encounters and not using any healing items.

Just about completely ruined the game for me, considering, you know, the entire rest of the game took me the same amount of time as this fight. Maybe I shouldn't have played on hard, but everyone said normal was too easy, so yeah. Difficulty the whole game through was totally fine except for this guy, and even then it's mostly a matter of the controls sucking. Those diagonal blade mode cuts are awful when you don't have enough time to line it up and then do a button press to execute and have to instead do an analog stick swipe that often changes the orientation of the cut as the result of the extra movement.

Cool game otherwise. Thumbs down for terrible final boss design with the flaky blade mode mechanics.

Finished. That fight took me nearly five hours. I only successfully cleared the diagonal cutting blade mode debris bullshit once, and then saw
the green glowing mode for the first time, was countered from the front, missed the rear blade mode hit inexplicably, and he gained back too much life and I died in frustration. So after failing the blade mode shit some more I said fuck it, ended up clearing him by dodging the debris throw encounters and not using any healing items.

Just about completely ruined the game for me, considering, you know, the entire rest of the game took me the same amount of time as this fight. Maybe I shouldn't have played on hard, but everyone said normal was too easy, so yeah. Difficulty the whole game through was totally fine except for this guy, and even then it's mostly a matter of the controls sucking. Those diagonal blade mode cuts are awful when you don't have enough time to line it up and then do a button press to execute and have to instead do an analog stick swipe that often changes the orientation of the cut as the result of the extra movement.

Cool game otherwise. Thumbs down for terrible final boss design with the flaky blade mode mechanics.
Are you using the default C controls? Using D which flipped the sticks in blade mode made precise cutting in BM second nature to me.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Are you using the default C controls? Using D which flipped the sticks in blade mode made precise cutting in BM second nature to me.

I got some advice after last night and one was a suggestion to switch to D, but I was too used to C at that point and decided to just do the fight without healing instead. Was screwing up harder with D than C since I wasn't comfortable with it yet.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It doesn't have any specific application in the context of that fight.

People are telling me your meter is just infinite for that one but I didn't even notice that my first run lol

I did not know that you had infinite meter against Monsoon until I read this page.

I guess the signs are there, though. When you enter Zandatsu mode when he throws crap at you, your meter doesn't drain. But ultimately, the meter doesn't really do anything for the fight, so it doesn't matter. Monsoon's basically trolling you.

I just wanna say that Wolf might be my favorite character in the game. I always like characters that play the straight man, and Wolf plays it extremely well.

props to you for sticking it out and not letting it get the best of you,
but we all know it wasn't the controls, or the boss design.
you know in your heart what the issue was..
NANOMACHINES, SON!

but seriously, the blade mode controls need to be revamped if there is a next one.

That final boss. :(

I always choke when he throws shit at me.

breath..you'll realize you have just enough time, just don't forget to double analog aim..or just ninja run out of the way of where he's aiming.

Mr.Fresh

That final boss. :(

I always choke when he throws shit at me.

That's how you get the nano paste.

I just finished the game. You guys should line up blade mode cuts with both analogs. I finished him in one try because of all the nano paste he drops.

I can't help but feel that people are exaggerating the difficulty of the final boss. He's easier than most of the bosses in DMC3 or Ninja Gaiden, you just have to fight him differently than any other enemy in the game (which I don't think is necessarily a bad design choice given the context of the fight). Once you "learn" him he's very predictable and manageable, which can't really be said for Vergil 3. If anything, the issue is with the other boss fights being way too easy, so you run into that barrier later in the game. I was surprised at
how honest the Sam fight was. The dude didn't pull any cheesy shit and nearly everything could be parried safely.

The game is extremely generous with invincibility frames on the evades.

A bigger problem is
how little of him you see in the rest of the game, so most of the satisfaction comes from overcoming a much more powerful opponent (Raiden isn't outclassed by any of the other cyborgs in the game after he gets his new body) than any resolution of plotlines or buildup

branny

What makes that final boss part more annoying than the other bosses, though? Specifically,
using blade mode to aim for Mistral's staff, Monsoon's head, and Sundowner's shields. You get punished for not doing it right in their fights, too. Is it just because Armstrong's attack takes off more damage when you fail? Or is it the sum of that and the rest of his fight wearing people down? It just seems weird that it's suddenly "bad design" at that point in the game.

jett

D-Member

You don't need to do that. You just let go of the right stick after you've positioned yourself.

Final boss is balls out awesome.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
What makes that final boss part more annoying than the other bosses, though? Specifically,
using blade mode to aim for Mistral's staff, Monsoon's head, and Sundowner's shields. You get punished for not doing it right in their fights, too. Is it just because Armstrong's attack takes off more damage when you fail? Or is it the sum of that and the rest of his fight wearing people down? It just seems weird that it's suddenly "bad design" at that point in the game.

You don't need to use both analog sticks for blade mode anywhere else in the entire game.

Maybe I'm crazy, but even at this point, after reading your posts dozens of times, I can't figure out how you do what you are proposing. If you don't mind, is there any way you could give an actual step by step breakdown of what each of your fingers is doing? Just sounds like you have three thumbs every time I try to visualize it.

its the consecutive cuts, most people seem to miss the second..and the monsoon fight doesn't care which angle you cut the stuff he tosses.
You don't need to use both analog sticks for blade mode anywhere else in the entire game.

thats it then, i'd been doing the double analog thing through out the game to ling up where to cut to get the left arms and whatnot throughout the game, and had settled on using the button to slash when i was ready, i'm mostly moving the camera i guess, and the right stick in a way where his blade doesn't lift all the way in any direction , by the time i press the button, his blade is idle then automatically raises and cuts

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Beat
Monsoon
. Took 3 health packs and like 3-4 EMP grenades to do that though. C rank, I can't imagine trying to no damage that fight due to too much bullshit.

Is using the EMP grenades the ONLY way to beat the
aura attack
you can't wait for it to wear off or have some form of no-item use? It's good that I saved my items, but fuck...

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
aura attack
you can't wait for it to wear off or have some form of no-item use? It's good that I saved my items, but fuck...

You can wait it out

and also the
the weapon you get from the fight
puts him out of it as well

Beat
Monsoon
. Took 3 health packs and like 3-4 EMP grenades to do that though. C rank, I can't imagine trying to no damage that fight due to too much bullshit.

aura attack

It wears off after a while, you can also perfect parry/counter attack to activate blade mode to hit him out of it

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Beat
Monsoon

aura attack
you can't wait for it to wear off or have some form of no-item use? It's good that I saved my items, but fuck..

Nah, my first attempt at the boss, I didn't know that those items did anything, so I beat him without them. If you strike at him enough in "aura", he'll eventually break apart... Also, if you perform a perfect parry on his sai combo while he's a torso, you get a free Zandatsu as well.

???? No, you don't...

Against
each boss
, you do need to aim the camera during Blade Mode, so that functionality of the Blade Mode is known.

Top Bottom