• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

what?

you need to use them for all of the other examples he listed

you don't.
You can choose to auto cut them, light attack and strong attack do slices in different directions

Nah, my first attempt at the boss, I didn't know that those items did anything, so I beat him without them. If you strike at him enough in "aura", he'll eventually break apart... Also, if you perform a perfect parry on his sai combo while he's a torso, you get a free Zandatsu as well.

Against
Monsoonp
, you do need to aim the camera, so that functionality of the Blade Mode is there.

ha ha, not even there, i never once played his game, i dodged behind him and topped playing too.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
???? No, you don't...

Yes you do.

for all the other bosses you have to move with the other stick to aim at their weakpoint for a zandatsu prompt. It doesn't automatically align for any of those and if you take too long you miss your opportunity.

they can also all be avoided and the boss beaten without ever using zandatsu

The last boss is not an oddity

you don't.
You can choose to auto cut them, light attack and strong attack do slices in different directions

you have to adjust for mistral's staff, monsoon's head and the hinges of sundowner's shield

You cant mash any of those

Armor Breaker + Tactical Sais
is godlike. Seriously.

This combo is so good against pretty much any armored enemy, especially the Mastiffs. It saved my ass many a time.

I don't get the people who brave the last boss with no nano paste for 5 hours. Just use chapter select, stock up on health items, stealth past the enemies in the last chapter, beating the boss before the final one is so easy without having to use any items, then bam, you're right where you were in less than 20 minutes with enough nanopaste to experiment with the fight.

Yes you do.

for all the other bosses you have to move with the other stick to aim at their weakpoint for a zandatsu prompt. It doesn't automatically align for any of those and if you take too long you miss your opportunity.

you don't need both sticks for Monsoon and if you aim with the left stick, you can hit the weakpoint on Mistral's staff, but for Sundowner, it's difficult to avoid the shields while hitting the arms using just the face buttons.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yes you do.

Considering I did all the blade mode actions for all of those bosses without using the right stick, you should probably stop talking now.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I'm weird for using it the entire game I guess

Maybe that's why I didn't have a problem with it

branny

I have nothing else to say on this. If people are getting through the game Zandatsu-ing groups of enemies, chopping off left arms for ID tags, and fighting every boss until the last one without needing to manually aim in blade mode one single time, I will just have to believe it somehow.

Yes you do.

you have to adjust for mistral's staff, monsoon's head and the hinges of sundowner's shield

You cant mash any of those

he's not saying mashing, he's talking about dual analog aiming, you actually don't need to use it ever, i only did because i couldn't get left hands without it with me button slashing style, right analog stick is enough in the monsoon fight and or aiming at red squares

I have nothing else to say on this. If people are getting through the game Zandatsu-ing groups of enemies, chopping off left arms for ID tags, and fighting every boss until the last one without needing to manually aim in blade mode not a single time, I will just have to believe it somehow.
its highly possible, for regular zandestus's single sticked it, but left arms i needed more precision, people who analog slash don't seem to have that problem, and there isn't an EXACT angle you have to cut, it just has to hit center. think about it dudes.

Are we talking about the same one? I'm talking about
the one with Sunny where she shakes his hand, then Raiden tries and gets denied, and gets a red aura around him.

It could be reflecting that Raiden is less approachable than
Sunny
, because he's more of a living weapon than a human being

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Considering I did all the blade mode actions for all of those bosses without using the right stick, you should probably stop talking now.

I'm not going to tell you what you did or didn't do

I just don't believe it

or we're talking about two different things

I don't think the last boss was above and beyond anything else they asked you to do in the game with the mechanic

bitoriginal

I think the last boss was a huge difficulty spike when playing on hard. I got through the entire game with relative ease, but the final boss took me about 6 hours to finally beat. But damn if it wasn't satisfying to finally kill him. I ended up dodging the debris so I didn't have to fuck around with the cutting.

You don't need to use both analog sticks for blade mode anywhere else in the entire game.

I was using both the entire game...were you able to consistently hit the little squares to get the health spine things only using one analog stick? And cutting off
the solar panel shields from sundowner? Or cutting up the helicopters/tanks monsoon throws?
Seems like it was important and helpful to use both throughout the whole game to me.

Edit: I responded a little too late, guess those worked out fine for you. Hmm, some of those
especially hitting monsoon's head, or sam's hand
seemed to make it necessary for me to use both analog sticks. Unless are you just talking about both at the same time? Or ignoring the left analog completely?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
its highly possible, for regular zandestus's single sticked it, but left arms i needed more precision, people who analog slash don't seem to have that problem, and there isn't an EXACT angle you have to cut, it just has to hit center. think about it dudes.

But what about
Sundowner? I know that you can beat him without even dealing with the shields, but it's apparent there that you need to aim with both sticks, particularly when slicing the shields off.

I don't think the last boss was above and beyond anything else they asked you to do in the game with the mechanic

While I agree with you on the other points, I disagree with you here. That last requires precision cutting that is more difficult than anywhere else in the game, requires multiple precision cuts, and it doesn't give you much time to do it.

Raxus

Almost finished with the checklist of collectibles. I only missed VR mission 11, the tunnel was too dark to see and I was going for the no AR achievement.

I was using both the entire game...were you able to consistently hit the little squares to get the health spine things only using one analog stick? And cutting off
the solar panel shields from sundowner? Or cutting up the helicopters/tanks monsoon throws?
Seems like it was important and helpful to use both throughout the whole game to me.

I've used the buttons to slash throughout the entire game, you can easily hit the red squares by moving the left stick and doing a horizontal slash. Sundowner is an exception, but I hardly slash his shield anymore, I just get behind him and slash away.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Yes...

You only have to use precise analog cutting against Sundowner's shield, and the final boss.

For literally everything else you can use the buttons and the left stick to change camera direction.

Ok... it got cold in here like in Wolfs metal ass.

i know, it says alot about this games mechanics when so many people can swear by so many methods and they ALL be possible. i can 10% see how not needed 2 analog sticks is not necessary to people who mastered analog cutting, its just a matter of getting the center of your cut on the square, angle be danged.. i used both methods, but found the dual analog stick method was the ONLY thing that worked for the final boss,

Guess Who

Banned
Are we talking about the same one? I'm talking about
the one with Sunny where she shakes his hand, then Raiden tries and gets denied, and gets a red aura around him.

Right, yeah. The impression I got was that
Wolf wouldn't shake Raiden's hand because, after the Sam fight, Wolf lost respect for Raiden and began to fear that Raiden was becoming a killing machine. This is also reflected in the quick flash of Ripper mode you see immediately afterwards.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Wolf wouldn't shake Raiden's hand because, after the Sam fight, Wolf lost respect for Raiden and began to fear that Raiden was becoming a killing machine. This is also reflected in the quick flash of Ripper mode you see immediately afterwards.

I think it was just a gag

Oh wow. I didn't get that impression at all. I thought it was a quick comedy segment.
KuGsj.gif

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

What? No. It's just supposed to be a funny exchange.

I've been Blade Mode-ing it up with just the right stick, too. Been grabbing those spines pretty easily.

Obviously now I'll try using both sticks but yeah, they definitely don't spell out that feature or really demand you to use it. So far, anyway.

dude.. you're reading way more into it than i think was intended, Blade Wolf has a humans intellect and beyond, he's not a trained dog,
sunny didn't know that, and Raiden did, that was belittling to him. Come'on mang, we're equals, "paw?"

You only have to use precise analog cutting against Sundowner's shield, and the final boss.

For literally everything else you can use the buttons and the left stick to change camera direction.

thats if you bother with them, i don't have patience like that, just jump behind him and get a few free hits as well, easy boss fight, dude was a joker putting up those fancy shields -__-

I thoughtt
the ripper mode thing was just a funny addition, because I laughed at that part.. I understand why the robodog didn't shake his hand but the quick ripper mode thing was probably just a joke.

I have an extremely hard time believing that anyone could cut the shield hinges off just using the buttons. Y'all must've been really lucky to get an unobstructed angle for that, because one wrong cut will fuck you up.

I have an extremely hard time believing that anyone could cut the shield hinges off just using the buttons. Y'all must've been really lucky to get an unobstructed angle for that, because one wrong cut will fuck you up.

that's what i'm saying, i didn't bother with them, anyone who was using dodge offset by then probably also found them trivial, plus theirs that shield bash he does, you can cheese him into doing that over and over..

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Pretty much.

I used left stick+buttons throughout the entire game except for Sundowner and the final boss, really. But I always knew it was an option.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Obviously wasn't lucky in the long run if it lead to them hating the game

that's what i'm saying, i didn't bother with them, anyone who was using dodge offset by then probably also found them trivial, plus theirs that shield bash he does, you can cheese him into doing that over and over..

The first I killed him on hard I also didn't break the shield. But on very hard I thought might as well try and do it properly. But yeah I agree, leaving the shield on is much easier, dude gets really crazy in the 2nd phase lol.

Revven

what?

you need to use them for all of the other examples he listed

I... didn't have to. I moved the left stick to orient the camera and then used the face buttons for horizontal or vertical. Sundowner is kind of the exception though (but I cheesed him and just dashed around slashing him instead; his AI kept attacking his backside with the shield because I was slashing his back on every time I ran back towards him).

To all those crying afoul of the final boss: play it again when you've maxed out one of your HF Blades. It becomes an battle of even more epic proportions due to the removal of any frustration.

Carbonox

Quite funny how after all the challenge the final boss offered in my first play, my second run-through resulted in making mince meat of him in like 5 minutes. The battle went so fucking fast this time and I now regard him as one of the easiest boss fights in the game. :lol

branny

Maybe the problem here is that face-button Blade Mode slashing and the Zandatsu auto-center are too efficient to suddenly include a boss that requires manual dual-stick cutting. It's interesting that a game about precision slicing can trip people up when executing on that concept finally becomes mandatory, provided you don't avoid the attack.

I've personally never relied on the automatic slashing when I needed something cut a certain way, though. Like, I can't get ID tags without manual slashing because it's too risky otherwise, especially in the middle of a weird checkpoint when going for S-Rank stuff.

I did spend hours in the demo cutting watermelon slices, so I have no right to dismiss the troubles less obsessed people are having.

No fun allowed, lol.

Quite funny how after all the challenge the final boss offered in my first play, my second run-through resulted in making mince meat of him in like 5 minutes. The battle went so fucking fast this time and I now regard him as one of the easiest boss fights in the game. :lol

In my winning attempt I also messed him up so hard lol. Did all the QTEs perfectly, and even did all the cutting sections as well!

But he's a real learning experience, I had at least 25+ continues against his dumb ass.

Astral

That's such a dark interpretation lol. I thought it was similar to Snake losing psyche during cutscenes in MGS4.

chrono01

I'm just happy that I played through the entire game using the left/right stick aiming for blade-mode. I never did use the face buttons, since I had a feeling that precise aiming would be needed at one point or another eventually. It also made retrieving the ID's from Left Arms a lot easier, and it was just more enjoyable using it to slice up the enemies. It seems I was right.

Because of this, the final boss didn't pose too much of a problem for me at all [I defeated him my first attempt, although this was on Normal with around 2/5 Repair Nanopaste]. As for whether this will be the same or not on the Hard difficulty remains to be seen [I'm currently on my Hard play-through].

I do sympathize with those having problems, though. I can see how something like that could be frustrating/upsetting for you. I only hope that, with time, you're all able to defeat him. I'm sure if you keep at it, eventually you'll be successful.

Revven

Part of the issue is also the fact that most of us (or all?) started off with zero nanopastes by the third phase.

Metal gear Excelcious just takes so much life away if you don't realize that when you parry its attacks it chips away at your life anyway! I found that out the hard way, but even when I stopped parrying almost everything I was down to like 1 or 2 nanopastes going into phase 2. And I lost both those nanopastes at phase 2.

So yeah. It would have helped if they let you refuel at least ONE nanopaste before the third phase but they don't. =\

GrayFoxPL

i know, it says alot about this games mechanics when so many people can swear by so many methods and they ALL be possible. i can 10% see how not needed 2 analog sticks is not necessary to people who mastered analog cutting, its just a matter of getting the center of your cut on the square, angle be danged.. i used both methods, but found the dual analog stick method was the ONLY thing that worked for the final boss,

Yeah. I had no idea you could
kill off Sunflower without doing surgical cuts to his shields with double analog. This point of the game threw me off,I was midfucked until I learned to do those precision cuts. So final boss wasn't a big deal, I mean I did a lot harder task before.

I think problem is that it seems at first, the game was designed around precision analogue cutting, maybe the "original" Kojima team version was, but when it came to: "Do we demand from gamers to master this technique?" The answer was "No." But they seemed to forget it in that last boss bit, that's why players like Evilore got so angry. I cut with analog most of the time because I thought the whole thing is designed and based on that. Like the old melon cutting demo. So I understand that, if devs decided from the first level for the player to know this technique well, then there wouldn't be any unpleasant surprises.

ha ha, once you get around his quirks, the boss is a big wuss..can't wait to max out the red blade i got in that fight :D

I guess one of the issues with the final boss, is that

1) Expect to lose a lot of it during the first phase
2) The idea of removing nanopaste during the second phase doesn't cross the mind, so you end up losing everything.

So the best advice is basically unequip it during the second phase, and don't reequip it until the 4th. Should save up on the Nanopaste issue. (didn't do this until the next time I fought him).

Top Bottom