• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Riposte

Maybe the problem here is that face-button Blade Mode slashing and the Zandatsu auto-center are too efficient to suddenly include a boss that requires manual dual-stick cutting. It's interesting that a game about precision slicing can trip people up when executing on that concept finally becomes mandatory, provided you don't avoid the attack.

Yeah, that's the way I see it. I wasn't ready for it, because I spent the whole game doing it very effectively only with face buttons. They should have made blade mode aiming more essential if they wanted that to be a main part of the game. They could have had things like quickly countering enemy attacks by striking their hands (which you do in certain dramatic moments) or require multiple spots to be hit to do zandatsu. That being said, I would only really like it if they added "swing exactly the way you are aiming" to a shoulder button.

Astral

How does one NOT use both analog sticks when
cutting off Sundowner's shields? If your cut even touches any red part of the shield you EXPLODE. You'll stick cut them off but you EXPLODE. Is the fact that it doesn't one-shot you the part that doesn't make it a big deal?

branny

Metal gear Excelcious just takes so much life away if you don't realize that when you parry its attacks it chips away at your life anyway! I found that out the hard way, but even when I stopped parrying almost everything I was down to like 1 or 2 nanopastes going into phase 2. And I lost both those nanopastes at phase 2.
Lol, that fight was basically the Defensive Offense best friends moment for me.

That being said, I would only really like it if they added "swing exactly the way you are aiming" to a shoulder button.
I'd love this (R1/RT would be great). AFAIK, the only way to get this effect is to remap Blade Mode control to the left stick (like with Type D), and use a face button while angling your slice. Either face button will have the effect of launching the strike as if you let go of the stick without any accidental re-aligning. It's hard to do that with the right stick default, but I'm so used to the right stick for slashing that Type D confuses me.

cutting off Sundowner's shields? If your cut even touches any red part of the shield you EXPLODE. You'll stick cut them off but you EXPLODE. Is the fact that it doesn't one-shot you the part that doesn't make it a big deal?

jumped to his back and hurt up, seems like a lot of people didn't bother with it. i only had to get blown back twice while his shields were up to figure out that i hated them and would rather attack where he didn't have shields.

Probably, I don't see how you can't use both sticks most of the game.

Probably, I don't see how you can't use both sticks most of the game.

wow..why do people keep trying to play with him and his front shields when his back is wide open? does it give a huge damage bonus if you get the cut right? i didn't even go into blade mode in that whole fight until prompter really..

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Unless the game changes (only up to R-04 right now), you do not need to manually blade mode. In some instances (left hands) it's easier to go that way, but you can line up with the camera and then button slash just as easy. I've been using the button slashes because it's a lot faster to "let 'er rip" that way than manually slashing.

Also the Sai's are probably the best sub-weapon in the game right now. Pull an enemy, jump toward them, throw them up in the air and then blade mode Zendatsu them? YES PLZ.

Revven

By doing what I described earlier:
run around to his back and just do the running slash past him. His A.I will then use the shields to attack behind him but because you're still in Ninja Run you can get away while he's in the endlag of the attack. Then you go back in with the run slashes, run away again as he performs the shields to his back attack, rinse and repeat until like 20% health or w.e

It's sad but that's what happens when you don't make the A.I do something else when attacking them in a certain spot continually. :x

Edit: Oh forgot to mention
I also made sure to get the QTE when he rushes at you with the shields; parrying it and then breaking the shields that way

Unless the game changes (only up to R-04 right now), you do not need to manually blade mode. In some instances (left hands) it's easier to go that way, but you can line up with the camera and then button slash just as easy. I've been using the button slashes because it's a lot faster to "let 'er rip" that way than manually slashing.

Also the Sai's are probably the best sub-weapon in the game right now. Pull an enemy, jump toward them, throw them up in the air and then blade mode Zendatsu them? YES PLZ.

denzel_intro.jpg

MY MAN!
I know that feel, instant gratification, and it feels good.

burgerdog

Welp, add another to the list of people hating the last boss. And only because they're forcing me to use the fucking sticks for cutting mode.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I'm really surprised people are having trouble with the boulders. I got them all my first go and was pretty used to aiming from collecting left hands from the special PMCs.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

I used the polearm as my secondary choice for the whole game. It permastaggers groups, and the jumping downward pierce attack does massive safe damage and knockdown, great for annoying enemies like the mastiffs.

Hagi

Didn't even know you could cut them. I just used offence defence round to his back and the fight was done in two minutes.

The whole novelty with the game for me since seeing the Kojipro version were the precision strikes, I liked being able to uniquely show damage on enemies based on my inputs. So every time I used BM I would go for analog precision strikes, so I used D controls since it was more acclimated to making that comfortable to do. Using the automated horizontal and vertical strikes just doesn't feel as good, mang. I love knowing that I made the swipe in that particular way.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
http://www.mascotcoalition.org/education/movies/training_day_images/denzel_intro.jpg
MY MAN!
I know that feel, instant gratification, and it feels good.

Slash the spine box, pop-out electrolytes. Then move blade toward left arm joint, slash vertical. Grab spine and end it.

If you're breaking armor in Zendatsu, just go wild on the buttons, doesn't matter then.

Evilore said:
I used the polearm as my secondary choice for the whole game. It permastaggers groups, and the jumping downward pierce attack does massive safe damage and knockdown, great for annoying enemies like the mastiffs.

Eh, I can see the benefits with that but I just rather not equip that for the dive-kick move if I'm going to use a downward attack on enemies. Besides, with Ripper mode unlocked at R-03, you should be able to blow through enemies armors easy if you manage it like Devil Trigger, right? The polearm just never really "clicked" with me though.

The whole novelty with the game for me since seeing the Kojipro version were the precision strikes, I liked being able to uniquely show damage on enemies based on my inputs. So every time I used BM I would go for analog precision strikes, so I used D controls since it was more acclimated to making that comfortable to do. Using the automated horizontal and vertical strikes just doesn't feel as good, mang. I love knowing that I made the swipe in that particular way.

Blade mode drains too fast (IMO) to make that a nice thing to have. You might as well pop the spine, get your left arm and whatever you get quickly and then grab the spine just before blade mode's/fuel cells run out to recharge. Maybe with the wig that gives you "infinite Devil Trigger"/Ripper mode, it's fun to go that way but for me I'd rather grab the spines and end it quickly than try to line up and then pop the spine.

GrayFoxPL

Yeah and how hilarious is to cut both hands and legs from soldier and look at torso with a head crawling to you saying: "Ima still gonna get you!"

Revven

It should be noted that the reason I chose to do face buttons vs analogue was for the bonus BPs you get when you slash a bunch of parts off vs being precise. Analogue is slower at doing that, at least I felt it was.

Obv for the left hand PMCs I used the analogue (haven't gotten them all yet though; do you get anything special for getting all 30?)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I just got the pincer and I want this thing to be useful but I don't think it will be considering the fast pace of combat :( Just not enough DPS for lack of better words.

chrono01

It should be noted that the reason I chose to do face buttons vs analogue was for the bonus BPs you get when you slash a bunch of parts off vs being precise. Analogue is slower at doing that, at least I felt it was.

Obv for the left hand PMCs I used the analogue (haven't gotten them all yet though; do you get anything special for getting all 30?)

Yes, you get
Armor Breaker
, as well as an achievement/trophy, of course.

I just got the pincer and I want this thing to be useful but I don't think it will be considering the fast pace of combat :( Just not enough DPS for lack of better words.

The Kitchen Shears can chop three regular cyborgs in half, all at once in a single blow. I don't even have them fully upgraded and their power is immense.

zainetor

Banned
i am at chapter 4 (inside world marsall)
my god if the camera sucks in small areas. I always try to beat ther shit out of the enemies, but when you are in the jp garden...Good lord XD. It ghanges perspective every two fucking seconds. In a game where there are important directional imputs, you cant have that shit going on.
When do i unlock the other swords? The normal one takes too much time to damage armored enemies.

branny

Yes, you get
Armor Breaker
, as well as an achievement/trophy, of course.
Also, if you're playing on Hard or higher, getting all 30 in a playthrough will give you
the infinite Blade Mode wig. The other wigs are also linked to the ID tags
(playing on normal while getting 10 and 20 per playthrough).

The Kitchen Shears can chop three regular cyborgs in half, all at once in a single blow. I don't even have them fully upgraded and they're power is immense.
They have my favorite air attack in the game. <3

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I think doktor puts a new weapon up in the shop for every 10 you collect

You get the bonus BP for being precise

After a stun I take off both legs and both arms instead of performing an execution. All with the analog

I need to work on beheadings but I'm not sure where to cut to get the bonus consistently

I just realized while listening to Mistral's instrumental that it sounds almost like a Super Meat Boy track. No wonder it's my favourite in the game.

Also, if you're playing on Hard or higher, getting all 30 in a playthrough will give you
the infinite Blade Mode wig. The other wigs are also linked to the ID tags
(playing on normal while getting 10 and 20 per playthrough).
I dunno about that one, I didn't get all the hands in my first playthrough of the game on hard, but I unlocked Wig A and B at the end of the game anyway.

People gonna learn not to underestimate the pincer..with dodge offset/defensive offense, its amazingly brutal.

branny

I dunno about that one, I didn't get all the hands in my first playthrough of the game on hard, but I unlocked Wig A and B at the end of the game anyway.
There are multiple ways to unlock, I think. My first playthrough, I barely got any hands and unlocked one of them, too. The info I posted is copied straight out of the guide, so...

edit: Oh, maybe those are the different requirements. I haven't purchased the one I unlocked yet--it's still possible that the other will show up in the store for me from simply beating Normal because I know I barely got enough arms for even Wig A in my first playthrough.

edit 2:
I think it's:

10/20 ID Chips = Wig A/B
All 30 ID Chips and clear Hard Mode = Armor Breaker/Wig C

In theory, you should be able to collect all 30 ID Chips on Normal, and then clear it on Hard and unlock Wig C.
I'll just try to get all the IDs and see what happens haha

chrono01

I think it's:

10/20 ID Chips = Wig A/B

In theory, you should be able to collect all 30 ID Chips on Normal, and then clear it on Hard and unlock Wig C.

NotLiquid

Finally beat Monsoon, completely unaware of the particular pattern involved when he splits up his body. It was also around this I finally learned about Nanopaste. I really should pay more attention to my pick-ups. What's the trick to him precisely? Feels like I'm going to have to know this once I replay on higher difficulties.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Hah just ran into the last boss hurdle too. Got him down to 25% last time. Should be able to get it in some tries. About the camera aiming, I rarely ever did that against the other bosses and made it out just okay, so I imagine a lot of people are having trouble with this boss.

wow..why do people keep trying to play with him and his front shields when his back is wide open? does it give a huge damage bonus if you get the cut right? i didn't even go into blade mode in that whole fight until prompter really..

I just meant in general, especially if your going for left arms or even fuel cells. Sometimes they throw your plane out of wack and you'll have to adjust with left and right analogs.

Is there a way to avoid Monsoon chucking shits at you without going into blade mode and cutting them? Trying to do a no-damage run on him but the cutting part is so random I always get hit by some stray hits

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I think it's:

10/20 ID Chips = Wig A/B

What does wig A, B, and C do?

Ken

Finally beat Monsoon, completely unaware of the particular pattern involved when he splits up his body. It was also around this I finally learned about Nanopaste. I really should pay more attention to my pick-ups. What's the trick to him precisely? Feels like I'm going to have to know this once I replay on higher difficulties.

You can just use the EM Grenade when he's purple and it will open him up to blade mode.

I think if you parry him enough while purple it also opens him up to blade mode but I'm not sure.

jett

D-Member
For fuck's sake do you really need to not sustain any damage in the pre-final forms of the last boss for the no damage trophy? That only makes me think that someone at PG really fucked up.

That last boss just turns the game whack in more ways than one.
We go from a campy, yet fairly serious story to a borderline parody with the most badmazing dialogue/character motivations in recent memory. Not that I'm complaining necessarily -- I was laughing the whole time at how ridiculous the whole thing was. If you told me that the final boss after the likes of Sundowner and Sam was the jacked-up, shirtless senator of Colorado... yeah. There's "over-the-top", and then there's that entire sequence.

I spent like two or three hours fighting him, and that
boulder part
was a total pain in the ass, but it's alright once you figure out how everything works and what his tendencies are. Dodge is a godsend in that fight. But man, I hate the game's tendency towards stupidly fast quicktime events. Really hurts both that fight and the very end of the Sundowner fight.

So yeah, that was a crazy ride. Boss battles were definitely a highlight, but every encounter was a treat. I hope they can really refine this experience -- and expand upon it -- in future installments.

RangerBAD

Is there a way to deal with Monsoon during that part or just parry it out until he falls apart?

For fuck's sake do you really need to not sustain any damage in the pre-final forms of the last boss for the no damage trophy? That only makes me think that someone at PG really fucked up.

The
Metal Gear
part isn't part of the equation, but yes. It's possible on the first part since it's get it to 90 percent, but second part is weird about that.

Ugh, the one game I've played in God knows how long where everything that should be skippable is skippable EXCEPT THE END CREDITS......

And that was one of the most over the top final bosses of all time. Not just the actual scenario, but the dialogue, mannerisms, and music put it on 11. What a beautifully ridiculous ramp up.

And now I can begin the rest of Metal Gear Rising Revengeance.

Fucking Monsoon chucking vehicles, it's so random and the explosion makes it very hard to see. I'm trying to no-damage him and I always get hit by a stray vehicle in the very last sequence.

i am at chapter 4 (inside world marsall)
my god if the camera sucks in small areas. I always try to beat ther shit out of the enemies, but when you are in the jp garden...Good lord XD. It ghanges perspective every two fucking seconds. In a game where there are important directional imputs, you cant have that shit going on.
When do i unlock the other swords? The normal one takes too much time to damage armored enemies.

Stealth that section dawg. Seriously, fuck the camera in that area ;(

Fucking Monsoon chucking vehicles, it's so random and the explosion makes it very hard to see. I'm trying to no-damage him and I always get hit by a stray vehicle in the very last sequence.
If you're talking about the Magneto sections when he's low health, I found that I got fucked by low flying choppers a lot of the time, what I did was distanced myself from him. Enough distance that you can see at least one pillar between you and him. At that angle, the lower flying throws tend to crash far enough away from me to not hurt.

Top Bottom