• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

BioHazard

Man I have got to be THE worst player to ever touch this game. I cannot get parrying down to save my life, at best, once in a blue moon, I can block. I can't even get past the second bit of those tall bi-ped enemies in the second stage R-01. And to see everyone in here has beaten the game like 14 times on hard and has already unlocked all this sweet shit is so discouraging. There has GOT to be something I'm missing. I feel like every battle I'm constantly running away to avoid some attacks or try to parry them and whenever I try to attack I get hit from behind....meh

What's the last wave for VR mission 18? Is it a single GRAD? Because if it is I'm going to kill myself because I managed to get to it in under 3 minutes only to get one-shotted by it.

Xevren

Man I have go to be THE worst player to ever touch this game. I cannot get parrying down to save my life, at best, once in a blue moon I can block. I can't even get past the second bit of those tall bi-ped enemies in the second stage R-01. And to see everyone in here has beaten the game like 14 times on hard and has already unlocked all this sweet shit is so discouraging. There has GOT to be something I'm missing. I feel like every battle I'm constantly running away to avoid some attacks or try to parry them and whenever I try to attack I get hit from behind....meh

You holding forward and hitting light attack or tapping it? My brother was having issues until I saw he was just holding forward and not tapping.

abrack08

Ffffuuuuuuck yes! Finally beat him. I had to change back to control type C to get the nanopaste from the debris, had to hold the controller funny so I could aim with the right stick and press triangle with my index finger. I don't get people saying using the stick is more accurate. Maybe I just suck at it, but it never goes exactly where I want it to. If I use the buttons, it always swings exactly where it's lined up. My chapter time for the last one was 2.5 hours haha.

My total play time (in game! Not save file) was actually 9:22. Wow! I did suck haha. I left the game in the codec menu a couple times while I was doing other stuff so maybe that's inflated? Or maybe it doesn't count that. Oh well.

EDIT : Save file time is 9:36. Weird. Doesnt seem like the timer works the way they said it did. Maybe the patch changed it when people were complaining?

Korigama

Probably never. Retailer exclusives usually go that way, right?
Rarely. Typically, they become available to the general public in a matter of months (as was the case with Vanquish's weapons DLC, in addition to Deux Ex: Human Revolution's retailer DLC). One of the only exceptions that comes to mind was the bonus costumes in Tales of Graces f, IIRC.

Robot Pants

So is there a site that lists all the secret encounters? I am missing a few.

I'm pissed that I missed one on chapter 4. S ranked everything except that missing one and it gave me an A overall. Great times.

it has to be in between the mistral/monsoon dopleganger fight and sundowner

Well, for my entire playthrough on Hard I committed to never using recovery items...

until that final boss.

Damn, he was tough. I still have no idea what to do when
he starts healing himself. I just enter blade mode and slash him and take damage because no target appears

but allowing myself to use recovery items actually made it fairly easy in the end. Also the cutscenes leading up to the fight had me laughing out loud so hard, everything that guy said was so ridiculous

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Well, for my entire playthrough on Hard I committed to never using recovery items...

until that final boss.

he starts healing himself. I just enter blade mode and slash him and take damage because no target appears

but allowing myself to use recovery items actually made it fairly easy in the end. Also the cutscenes leading up to the fight had me laughing out loud so hard, everything that guy said was so ridiculous

it's on his back

Korigama

until that final boss.

Check his back when you do that.

BioHazard

You holding forward and hitting light attack or tapping it? My brother was having issues until I saw he was just holding forward and not tapping.

hmmm, I think I'm always holding it. So, if I'm running around to avoid tons of shit I have to let go of the stick and stop and then tap it forward and tap square at the same time to parry?

I don't know if I'd say it's deeper than Bayo (we'll have to wait until people fully explore the combat system's in and outs, though it is at a disadvantage given things like the Sai not being a fully realized weapon), but nothing has clicked for me as much as this game has on a personal level. I love this game so goddamn much.

IMO, the game is not as deep as Bayonetta. Bayonetta has more weapons, more enemy types, more combos, more accessories, more tricks, etc. I don't think Metal Gear Rising was meant to be an extremely deep action game in the first place, PlatinumGames surely didn't have enough time or maybe even freedom from Kojima to do that. Maybe next time.

As I see it, Metal Gear Rising was meant to be a tactical action game (it is Metal Gear, right?) over a combo-centric one. The nature of the combat system is proof of that. For example, on normal mode the common enemies don't have much health and can be one shotted with the Zandatsu. The tougher enemies are hard to stagger and often block your attacks, making them very difficult to combo on unless you mastered dodge offsetting, but even then you'll still probably get interrupted by another cyborg, or machine gun fire or RPG. Each custom weapon only has several combos and the advantages of those weapons are purely situational. As far as combos go, MGR just throws too much shit at you for you to do much more than simple combo-strings at once.

MGR is more about positioning, using tools and specific attacks, parrying and breaking armor to Zandatsu, not constant combo-ing like Bayo is.

That's not to say it isn't as fun, because it really is.

Yup, for VR mission 18 I got to the last wave in under 3 minutes (The gold rank time is 10 minutes) and then the GRAD one-shotted me.

I'm so mad right now

Salaadin

I didnt realize that the bosses health bar was on the screen until the final boss when I was thinking "How much longer is this going to go on for?!?!" and then I saw it.

Beat it, though. Great game. Platinum did a fantastic job.
Camera issues aside, I loved nearly every minute of it.

Xevren

hmmm, I think I'm always holding it. So, if I'm running around to avoid tons of shit I have to let go of the stick and stop and then tap it forward and tap square at the same time to parry?

Yeah, you can even mash tapping forward with square and still parry, you just won't get the perfect counters.

I think I need a break for a few days. Seriously. I just tried to pour myself some water but I dropped the jug because my hands are fucked up.

Alright, since I'm cursed and can't get a no damage bonus on the
body doubles
fight to register so it looks like I'll have to just max out all the ranking requirements. Seems like the only one I don't get 1000 on is time, as at best I've gotten is 750 or so with 6 minutes and some seconds. So anyone got any tips to do it super quick on Revengeance? Mostly been rocking Muramasa and going to town, perfect parries aren't doing explosive damage it seems.

This kinda shit is one of the rare things to genuinely piss me off in games, where the game itself dicks you out of something at no fault of your own.

Salaadin

Vocal soundtrack is really good. I love the Intrumental that came with the LE too. Surprised they gave us the full thing but I do feel like the vocal tracks would have been the better bonus.

jett

D-Member
It's really not the design of the VR missions but the ridiculously tough Gold top score, you basically need a perfect run with no enemy highjinks or unpredictability.

Most missions yes, but 10 minutes is a lot for the mission I'm stuck in. I end the first two stages in one minute. I just can't get past the next one. That bladewolf with his plasma cannon or whatever is a pain in my ass, and my pincer blades are so weak they don't stop the armored cyborgs at all. I know the next one is just a grad and that's easily cheesed.

Monocle

Just S ranked Monsoon on Revengeance with no damage, thought I'd leave some tips

Setup: Fully upgraded Murasama, fully upgraded Pincer Blades.

1. When the fight starts, parry him then go to town. Mix in the pincer blades with dodge offset for massive damage to stagger him.

2. Look for the tell of his smoke bomb. I believe he puts his hands up, then on his hips. Dodge in any direction when you see this.

3. Don't be afraid to lay into him. He'll easily stagger with enough damage.

4. IMPORTANT. After he throws crap at you and returns to the ground, EM grenade him and knock his head away. NOW THIS IS FUCKING IMPORTANT. GO NEXT TO HIS HEAD AND CHARGE THE PINCER BLADES. RELEASE WHEN HE'S WHOLE AGAIN FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE.

5. Parry his rolling ball of junk (really easy) twice to skip that part.

6. When the song vocals kick in, you'll have to parry him a bunch. Parry his left hand, then his right hand, then his legs. Don't mash parries out too fast. When his upper body is floating around, EM grenade, knock off his head, then pincer. You'll have to survive one more round of crap. After that, EM grenade+pincer should end it.

General tip: You'll need to mash out parries against him. Always input another parry just as your previous parry connects.
There's a lot more to this fight than I realized. Thanks for the tips.

Just bought! Am I in for a treat GAF?
You have no idea.

HYDE

Banned
Bravo Platinum...I love you and your games.

I am ready for Bayonetta 2 and Revengeance 2...featuring Gray.

I imagine Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry by Platinum and I am sad, cause it'll never happen :(

IJoel

Got to the final boss,
saw the diagonal blade patterns, died a couple of times
, and this is it for me. I'm not even going to try anymore. This is a horrendous control mechanic for a fast paced action game. It boggles the mind how anyone can think such a mechanic can be even remotely fun.

Wee just got my copy. The narrative definitely isn't as polished as Metal Gear Solid, but the abundance of codec convos goes a long way towards giving it a MGS feel. Raiden sounds bad sometimes in cutscenes but he's fine in codec.

Zandatsu is quite easy but getting left arms is sooo hard.

Also, first nitpick - having to dig through the menus to find the commands for the move I just bought. WTF.

Ken

Got to the final boss,
, and this is it for me. I'm not even going to try anymore. This is a horrendous control mechanic for a fast paced action game. It boggles the mind how anyone can think such a mechanic can be even remotely fun.

Just run forward if you don't need the nanopastes it apparently drops.

If you are developing a game with boss fights and you don't have lyrics kick in as shit gets real then you should just take your game and throw it in the garbage. you're on notice, devs

The truth.

You just feel like it got really real whenever the lyrics hit and Raiden does some unbelievable Gurren Lagann looking shit.

Love this game.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Got to the final boss,

I was never able to get the diagonal cuts down, so ended up just skipping the sequence by running away from the debris and doing the fight without healing paste.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm assuming people who are struggling with that part of the final boss did this with Sundowner:
Got behind his shield to whittle him down without triggering his second form?

The precision cuts you make if you dismantle his shield are much harder than the armstrong debris slicing. Guess it meant to be a trainer.

joe2187

Banned
I was never able to get the diagonal cuts down, so ended up just skipping the sequence by running away from the debris and doing the fight without healing paste.

When you get the feel of precision blade mode...the game just clicks so hard!

Learn how to use both directional sticks in blade mode, the easiest way I can explain it is that you use the left stick to align the height and the right stick to align the angle and flicking the right stick back to cut, when you understand that you have full control of where you can cut, it feels so good.

Alright, since I'm cursed and can't get a no damage bonus on the
body doubles
fight to register so it looks like I'll have to just max out all the ranking requirements. Seems like the only one I don't get 1000 on is time, as at best I've gotten is 750 or so with 6 minutes and some seconds. So anyone got any tips to do it super quick on Revengeance? Mostly been rocking Muramasa and going to town, perfect parries aren't doing explosive damage it seems.

This kinda shit is one of the rare things to genuinely piss me off in games, where the game itself dicks you out of something at no fault of your own.

Hah, I'm currently stuck on the staircase fight

This minigun does ZERO damage

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
I don't think there's been a higher difficulty spike in any game than the Armstrong fight. Fuck all the good those life packs did me when he can still deplete a maxed out life bar in two or three hits. And I can't for the life of me zandatsu both of those giant pieces of rock he throws. I can line up the first one with a bit of effort but never the second.

Ugh. Game was great up until this point.

Roto13

I don't think there's been a higher difficulty spike in any game than the Armstrong fight. Fuck all the good those life packs did me when he can still deplete a maxed out life bar in two or three hits. And I can't for the life of me zandatsu both of those giant pieces of rock he throws. I can line up the first one with a bit of effort but never the second.

Ugh. Game was great up until this point.

This was driving me nuts until I realized I didn't really have to be that precise with it.

You probably think it's harder than it actually is.

IJoel

I might try this, though I don't have much life left, so it might be far too difficult.

I'm assuming people who are struggling with that part of the final boss did this with Sundowner:
Got behind his shield to whittle him down without triggering his second form?

The precision cuts you make if you dismantle his shield are much harder than the armstrong debris slicing. Guess it meant to be a trainer.

Nah, I was able to get through Sundowner using the precision cuts, mainly because it didn't penalize with a huge chunk of life if you missed.

I suppose I'm mostly disappointed in the game. The combat system really hasn't clicked with me. I've had little trouble getting through the game with the exception of a few bosses - however, combat has consisted mainly of parrying, running/jumping around evading, and "button mashing" when an opening presented itself. But I don't have a good sense of combos, and the like. It's just strange, specially coming off playing DmC (oh shit, I'll be lambasted for saying this!) Needless to say, the frustrating bosses just sour the entire game for me. At this point, I feel I'm forcing myself to finish it just for the sake of it, but I think I'd rather do something better with my time, as I'm not really having fun.

Edit: Forgot to say, the game is absolutely terrible at explaining and providing combat tutorials.

Hah, I'm currently stuck on the staircase fight

This minigun does ZERO damage
Shit's ASS. I got past that by the skin of my teeth by learning the spawn patterns, once the rocketeer spawns on the right pillar two others spawn on ground level after, then lure the Mastiffs out to the elevator hall, then pray when the GRAD comes in. I shot the larger red missiles as fast as the slow aiming turret would let me and I hoped for the best.

Only thing that sucks more than turret sequences are turret sequences that get a massive jump in difficulty subverting the general playstyle and have nothing else to do with the rest of the game.

Lunar15

Man, I know this kind of thing gets brought up in every thread about a game/platinum game, but I really do wonder how Platinum would do with Zone of the Enders.

Top Bottom