• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Revven

Protip: Use the Pincer Blades on Mastiffs; charge them up and when you unleash it Raiden has INSANE super armor frames. Destroys the fuck out of them.

Neiteio

I don't hate it but it's definitely not the best ;_;

I don't understand how Captain Frustration is better than Mistral or Monsoon. Doesn't even have the best boss music in the game, although it's good.
WALL OF FIRE! Silhouetted against it, like the climax to Revenge of the Sith! LIGHT SHINING FROM HEAVEN! He's about to smite you, like God striking down Lucifer. ERUPTIONS GALORE! And don't blink now, he just closed the distance of a football field in one motherfucking lunge! Circle dodge, circle dodge, circle dodge, parry parry parry, JUGGLE! "Violence, breeds viiiiiiiiolence!" Such heart-pumping music, and the one-liners -- the ONE-LINERS! Dear lawd. Oh, and he's a Colorado senator and UT alumni, an unhinged Tea Party whackjob fighting you barechested in the burning bowels of a giant spider mech. This shit is too good to be true. Someone pinch me!

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I think I like Sam the best. A straight up duel. Sword to sword. No subweapons is best.

Agreed. He seems like "no speeches", "no grand standing". At least no compared to the other bosses. "Lets just fight and get it over with" He's more like Jack than any other character.
Hell, he had few to none cybernetic implants. He's just good at what he does because he believes in it. The others are out for money and power. He could care less about any of that.

WALL OF FIRE! Silhouetted against it, like the climax to Revenge of the Sith! LIGHT SHINING FROM HEAVEN! He's about to smite you, like God striking down Lucifer. ERUPTIONS GALORE! And don't blink now, he just closed the distance of a football field in one motherfucking lunge! Circle dodge, circle dodge, circle dodge, parry parry parry, JUGGLE! "Violence, breeds viiiiiiiiolence!" Such heart-pumping music, and the one-liners -- the ONE-LINERS! Dear lawd. Oh, and he's a Colorado senator and UT alumni, an unhinged Tea Party whackjob fighting you barechested in the burning bowels of a giant spider mech. This shit is too good to be true. Someone pinch me!

THE FIRES OF GREED WILL BUUUUUUUUUURN THE WEEEEEEEAAAAAK
AND WE'L MAKE FREEEEEDOOOOM OOOOOOOOOBSOLEEEEEETE

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Im probably the only one, but i think the Gray Fox Blade might be a little too powerful. Been playing on Hard and it slices and dices with no troubles. Gensu would be so proud.

joe2187

Banned
Final boss sux

no u

Armstrong
is the best final boss I've ever played...I replayed that level twice today just because of how fucking amazing it is. Besides I love listening to his speech...as soon as he stepped out of that door the final boss was just oozing awesome from every fiber.

How's the difficulty on Revengence mode? I just started on very hard right now. Normal and Hard wasn't very tough. While I had to use some nanopaste, none of them actually made me use a continue. I'm hoping these last 2 difficulties are a big jump.

Revven

Any chance they might patch some of the camera issues? It'd be nice if they tried to adjust it some. I know they probably can't do a whole revamp of the camera. It'd just be nice if they did something to make it better in the more cramped spaces. Or hell the final boss.

How's the difficulty on Revengence mode? I just started on very hard right now. Normal and Hard wasn't very tough. While I had to use some nanopaste, none of them actually made me use a continue. I'm hoping these last 2 difficulties are a big jump.

Very Hard starts to remix all the encounters with new enemy combinations, and Revengeance has more enemy aggression plus a huge jump in damage, while your own counters will also do significantly more damage.

Any chance they might patch some of the camera issues? It'd be nice if they tried to adjust it some. I know they probably can't do a whole revamp of the camera. It'd just be nice if they did something to make it better in the more cramped spaces. Or hell the final boss.

I think allowing it to phase through walls would be the only significant fix, but I suspect that might not be possible with their current tech. If it was easy to do I think they would've done it already, there's no reason for the camera to stick to the walls.

Switching to control style D helped immensely so whoever suggested that first, thank you! Great end boss(after I changed the control style) and great game overall... even the camera didn't bother me too much after I started using lock-on constantly.

The option to do a naked run of Very Hard or Revengeance is there with that Konami Code. I don't exactly know how balanced it is though lol.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Great to see how much action this thread has gotten. Hope that's a sign of this game's popularity, as I am craving a sequel like nothing else. I guess really any Platinum game would the trick, but I definitely would be happy with a sequel to this sooner rather than later...

yay beat Monsoon and got the no damage trophy :) I was nervous as hell that it would glitch, but honestly, after I was told about the emp grenade trick it made the fight a lot easier.

Cool game. a lot of annoyances though. I can't stand how every time you die, they are like "RAIDEN!!!!!" Enjoy the combat, but I need some sort of bloody palace mode. Otherwise it's a trade in.

How often should I check the codec for new conversations? I'm enjoying the story and don't want to miss anything.

During and after literally everything that happens. New enemies, boss battles, cutscenes, major events, minor events, no events, everything. There's a LOT of codec considering the length and genre.

During and after literally everything that happens. New enemies, boss battles, cutscenes, major events, minor events, no events, everything. There's a LOT of codec considering the length and genre.
Ok thanks. Is there an icon or anything that shows me there's a new conversation?

Nemesis_

I really want some tips on how to S Rank both
Sam
and
Sundowner
battles on Revengeance.

Would really, really appreciate it. :)

ibyJgo6AIGsa7e.gif

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ok thanks. Is there an icon or anything that shows me there's a new conversation?

No, you must manually check yourself. And it's pretty tedious. I like the codec conversations but I really wish I could blow through them in the last level by spending hours in one place there, instead of having to worry I'm skipping over them so I have to check every. five. minutes. for new ones.

I've been farming BP for the past 40 minutes or so, I'm up to around 300k. Wonder how long I can keep going until I get bored. I haven't even finished the game yet!

FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT CAMERA

I demand the blood of whoever was in charge of this shit.

Yep.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
If you are developing a game with boss fights and you don't have lyrics kick in as shit gets real then you should just take your game and throw it in the garbage. you're on notice, devs

Veelk

Banned
I strangely didn't have that much of a problem with the camera that everyone seems complaining about. It did get hung up on stuff occasionally, but it wasn't frequent enough for me to get angry about.

I just finished it and I can already tell this will be my game of the year. I don't think even bayonetta 2 can top it. Dat music. Dat final boss. Dem bosses in general. Dis combat system, oh LAWD dis combat system.

I think this may have just surpassed bayonetta as my favorite action game. I don't know if I'd say it's deeper than Bayo (we'll have to wait until people fully explore the combat system's in and outs, though it is at a disadvantage given things like the Sai not being a fully realized weapon), but nothing has clicked for me as much as this game has on a personal level. I love this game so goddamn much.

It is nothing short of a crime against humanity if this game doesn't get the sales it deserves.

jett

D-Member
Gotta love those random autocentering off getting stuck on walls for no reasons

The camera flaws are all exposed in VR mission

I also love having to restart when the stupid ass gekko in front of me does anything other than charging.
I also love having to wait 15 seconds every time I restart/die.
I loves me some offscreen attacks.
I fucking love getting grabbed by those piece of shit dwarf gekkos as soon as I come out of a zandatsu animation only to get one-hit-killed by nearby mastiff.

I fucking love VR mission 18.

MormaPope

Banned
I also love having to restart when the stupid ass gekko in front of me does anything other than charging.
I fucking love getting grabbed by those piece of shit dwarf gekkos as soon as I come out of a zandatsu animation only to get one-hit-killed by nearby mastiff.

It's really not the design of the VR missions but the ridiculously tough Gold top score, you basically need a perfect run with no enemy highjinks or unpredictability.

I strangely didn't have that much of a problem with the camera that everyone seems complaining about. It did get hung up on stuff occasionally, but it wasn't frequent enough for me to get angry about.

It freaks the fuck out when you fight RAY on very hard and he moves so much more. It auto targets everything at once and you just end up spinning around.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Speaking of VR, christ at some of those gold times. VR mission 17 where you have to ninja run a line within 38 seconds. If you aren't hit by RPGs, you may make the time limit but good fucking luck since you have to diagonal jump a couple of platforms to make it in time. And even then I barely miss the gold time by a few seconds. Dunno where I can shave time off on this stupid shit.

gotta love getting dropkicked right out of a fucking zandestsu and there's nothing you can do about it

or a random off-screen blast from nowhere

Thank fuck I'm done with that mission forever

Ill Saint

Picked it up this morning, and after a few hours I'm at the beginning of chapter 3 and having a fun time so far.

The camera really is a shame, and often undermines the suberb combat engine. Lock-on seems to do very little to hard-target enemies and facilitate switching between them. But when it all comes together the game really is a joy to play. The parry system is great, and blade mode / Zandatsu are hugely satisfying.

Top Bottom