• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

sonicmj1

Well, I plowed through Chapters 4 through 7 in an afternoon and cleared the game. My timer was a bit over five hours, but given how much I compulsively reset checkpoints, I definitely spent more time than that. That also probably cut down on my continue number considerably.

I didn't have too much trouble with the final boss (not the part that everyone else complains about), but that might be because I got used to the directional slicing when I was trying to get all those left arms. The framing of the fight is pretty fantastic.

I like the game a lot, but it's no Bayonetta. The camera is sometimes terrible at framing the action, and when knowing the direction an attack is coming from is so essential to proper defense, that's an even greater crime. That said, when you get a chain of offense flowing smoothly, it feels fantastic. The zandatsus are a nice punctuation for a kill. They're a great way of taking out your frustration on enemies, and they give you hope when the chips are down.

I doubt I'll go as deep into this game as I did into Bayonetta, but I'd like to go back and mess around some more. I didn't even try playing with the subweapons yet, so I'm looking forward to figuring out how they work.

At least you don't have to redo the entire chapter because the game suddenly decided "hey, fuck you".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ89ob0y7xc

iCzJzVfjEBzzx.gif

:(

This is so true.

We've been able to blend audio tracks for so long now, there's no reason this shouldn't be standard.

I'm docking points from future action games that don't do this.

Fucking deal with it, developers.

sonicmj1

If you are developing a game with boss fights and you don't have lyrics kick in as shit gets real then you should just take your game and throw it in the garbage. you're on notice, devs

This is so true.

We've been able to blend audio tracks for so long now, there's no reason this shouldn't be standard.

I love how every time you fight
Sam
, it's so awesome just walking up to or around him without attacking. It's just like... shit, I have to make the first move... :O

Now if they only would release a patch that added in a more pulled out camera... time to tweet Platinum!

jkh13

Neo Member
For precision blade mode I find it helps to not pull the right stick all the way across when cutting. Aim with right stick first and when it lines up, release your thumb from the stick and let it go by itself to the neutral position. This eliminates the imprecision that happens when you jerk the stick across to do a cut.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Just spent the last 45 minutes trying to get Gold on VR Mission 1.

:(

Havent got there yet myself as I'm a few upgrades away from SLICE N DICE PERFECTION but buttslide blade mode zandatsu seems to be the speed queen.

Nemesis_

Finally S-Ranked R05.

It was actually manageable knowing the scores - I could buff up the other areas to ensure an S.

Now to somehow get a 50 hit combo in File R06. Anyone got any tips on that one? :/

NotLiquid

Maybe I don't have enough testosterone in my blood to figure out the final boss,
I'm still trying to figure out the best strategy for the first phase. Parrying doesn't seem to have too much of a payoff and running + dash only works with varying degrees.

I'm also completely out of Nanopaste ):

Finally S-Ranked R05.

It was actually manageable knowing the scores - I could buff up the other areas to ensure an S.

Now to somehow get a 50 hit combo in File R06. Anyone got any tips on that one? :/

Screw the combo. Go into it with 5 nanopastes, then just make sure to pick up 2 more in the arena and they'll be converted to BP. The nanopastes are I'm boxes in front and behind where you start. That'll get you an S rank if you don't get hit.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Maybe I don't have enough testosterone in my blood to figure out the final boss,
I'm still trying to figure out the best strategy for the first phase. Parrying doesn't seem to have too much of a payoff and running + dash only works with varying degrees.

Cut down the debris he tosses at you and him when he charges you. You are rewarded with several nanopaste from that.

deim0s

Offensive Dodge/Defense. ;)

Nemesis_

Screw the combo. Go into it with 5 nanopastes, then just make sure to pick up 2 more in the arena and they'll be converted to BP. The nanopastes are I'm boxes in front and behind where you start. That'll get you an S rank if you don't get hit.

I'm trying to do this. How do I tell when he's about to throw up rocks from the ground? That seems to be the only way I get hit, as I am being VERY aggressive.

trying to also get a perfect parry at the second half (when he mixes up his moveset) and he doesn't seem to do the string that is parry-able. I'm guessing this is intentional?

Also, in terms of DPS, which blade is best for this fight?

Ferr986

I friggin love the care Platinum Games put on their soundtracks.
Not just the quality of the songs, but their implementation in the game.

I friggin love the care Platinum Games put on their soundtracks.
Not just the quality of the songs, but their implementation in the game.

Completely agree. I'm not a fan of the music used in Rising or Madworld, for example, but the way they are used throughout those games is so well done that I wouldn't change it for anything else.

I also love the fact that in the end when I had so many questions as to what the fuck was going on with the last boss, the answer was the most obvious...
Nanomachines, son.

I love you Platinum/Kojima.

Robot Pants

You need 50 hits to get the full combo bonus on the Sundowner fight lol.

The combo requirement in general is completely fucking awful, it was the sole reason I didn't get an S-Rank in a lot of the game's fights. The requirement makes even less sense in subsequent playthroughs since you get much stronger, thus kill things much faster <_<

Platinum plz v_v
Much easier to go no damage up until the first check point then get him down to 30% then ride it out until he jumps off and grabs the pilar to swing at you. When he does two cyborgs appear. Zendatsu at least one of them and no damage the rest until sundowner is dead.
S Rank.

Edit: oh I just realized you might be talking about Revengeance difficulty. I'm talking about hard and very hard. Not sure if there is a difference in the requirements

NIN90

Are there any strategies on RPG mofos that don't consist of rushing straight to them and losing half your health in the process?

sonicmj1

Yeah, they suck live.

I feel like the sound balance is all out of whack too. There were a few times where the lead guitar was soloing and you could barely hear it. May have had something to do with how they captured it for the recording, since this kind of thing happens a lot.

I appreciate the effort, and it all sounds awesome in the game.

Persona86

Banned
This game is great!

Does anyone else find it very hard to concentrate when someone else is in the room or trying to talk to you? this game sure takes a lot of focus!

duckroll

Yeah but I eat 1 or 2 rockes everytime before getting close to them.
Or do you mean that I can dodge rockets by sliding?

You should be able to dodge rockets by jumping or sliding, depending on the direction of the rocket. Sliding is also an effective way to close in on them when you're within range, to interrupt them while they're trying to fire another one.

Nemesis_

Is it true that if you get damaged in R00, you have to restart the level (I mean in Revengeance mode, S rank)

Like, the game somehow checkpoints your damage so you can't just restart the checkpoint?

And do the final parts (ie.
Sam battle where you die
) reduce your rank as you receive damage?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
You should be able to dodge rockets by jumping or sliding, depending on the direction of the rocket. Sliding is also an effective way to close in on them when you're within range, to interrupt them while they're trying to fire another one.

What I hate about the slide though is how it on occasion unless you are locked onto your target it decides to go and turn you towards the wrong target. Really wish they didnt make it work like that...

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
May be controversial, but I liked this better than Bayonetta. I think mostly because it didn't have any annoying padding like the Space Harrier part of Bayonetta.

TGMIII

For the codec trophy do you have to listen to all of the codecs in one single playthrough or can you go back and listen to the calls you missed while skipping the calls that you heard?

Was pretty sure I listened to as many as I could but I've missed some along the way apparently.

Top Bottom