• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
OK thanks for the advice everyone, will keep trying.

No Nano Paste is a real fucker here! :(

You get some after the first blade mode/boulder section. I never really used the (aiming) blade mode during the game so I had a tough time with that section. Load up a VR mission and practice slicing. Aim with the left stick, angle with the right (let go of the right stick to slice).

Dodge swipe (or whatever it's called) X+Square (A+X) helps tremendously in the fight.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Some of the story beats along with the fighting system in general makes me want to see what Platinum could do with the Rurouni Kenshin franchise. Never gonna happen, but it's a nice thought exercise.

For no-damaging
Armstrong
, how does the fistfight phase affect the ranking? Since you have to get hit to trigger the QTE

Just keep dodging him until he does this big unblockable move that initiates the QTE. You'll know it when you see it, your health bar will fade away

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
1. Bayonetta - The complete package. Best optional content. Best scoring system. Best combat mechanics. Best Enemy Design. Best weapons. Best art direction/aesthetic appeal. Best developed world and lore. No wonder it's their first game to get a sequel. There's so much potential in this title as a game and a franchise.

2. Metal Gear Rising - Fun game with the optional content you'd expect from a Metal Gear. My only problem with it is the ranking system doesn't make it as clear how it wants you to play, unlike Bayonetta's. While achieving Pure Platinum in Bayonetta just feels like naturally playing the game flawlessly, I think Rising forces you to play in a way that isn't as natural or interesting. The mechanics don't fit together as well as Bayonetta's.(getting S ranks feels like hitting bullet points more than playing naturally) Best bosses they've ever done though.

3. Madworld - I think the game concept and scoring system are flawed, but I think the game has really great stages and bosses. Also I feel it's on Bayonetta's level as far as having a cohesive and unique art direction. I just wish someone had shot down that commentary idea in brainstorming. Would have preferred more dialogue from the bosses instead to make the encounters a bit more memorable

4. Vanquish - Interesting application of action game elements in a third person shooter, but there's just not enough there for me to really like it. The scoring system only really encourages speed and with an ammo system combined with random drops there's too much variance between runs for scoring to be meaningful. I also didn't like the art direction(despite my favorite former Capcom artist doing mech design for the game) or character writing. Victor's suit is awesome but he's never really developed as an antagonist himself. There's really just not alot to like there for me.

5. Anarchy Reigns - This game is a mess. but it's a good mess and I'm glad it exists. As a fighting game and action game fan the concept really appeals to me so I'm glad someone tried it. Wasn't what I expected but still alot of fun once you figure out the flow of combat online. The single player is garbage and the reason why I place it so low.(It'd be above MadWorld if it was pure mutliplayer) Art direction was all over the place. Character dialogue is HORRIBLE.(I liked Baron alot in Madworld but found him obnoxious here. Maybe it's the new voice) Felt more like they just put the pieces from multiplayer together to make a story and single player game rather than develop any sort of cohesive product. Obviously there only because a multiplayer only title wouldn't stand a chance at retail or something.(not that it helped any) Definitely not the game they set out to make. If Platinum kickstarted a similar multiplayer only product on PC I'd back it for a decent amount.(I think the concept has alot of potential and would love to see it developed further) But I have little to no interest in an Anarchy Reigns 2.

Clover:

Viewtiful Joe
God Hand
Viewtiful Joe 2
Okami
Double Trouble

Korigama

How do you do standing bullet time in Vanquish like in some of these videos?
Did you mean going into ARS mode from a crouching position? Taking aim right after doing a roll lets you do that (can be done with any gun). Equipping the heavy machine gun or AA pistol, then aiming right after using melee (during the flip) lets you slow time from a stationary position, if that's what you meant instead.

Must of tried another 10 times at least on the cutting (I need the health). I just can't switch direction quickly enough, you get about 1s to do it. Ridiculous. I've never had to cut like this in the entire game. The last horizontal cut is less than a second to prepare. It's fucking dogshit.

KorrZ

Picked up this game last night and so far it's amazingly fun. The boss fights are INCREDIBLE! I just fought Monsoon and boy did that fight put my parrying skills to the test, caused my first combat death. Music was spot on also. God I'm loving this!

All of the off-screen attacks are really bullshit though. It's really annoying in fights with 2-3 big enemies or a bunch of the smaller cyborgs. I can parry fine, but not when I can't even see the guy winding up... Especially annoying when 1 hit in this game can mean stunlocked for 4-5 hits.

dan2026

Human size boss fight are always better, no exceptions.

Monsters and bigger bosses opponents are also usually good, but not as good as human size enemies.

Giant size enemy boss fights are usually a fucking disaster and should never happen.
(See that dumb statue in DMC4, I'll grant Ray was ok in this, but only ok compared to the other bosses.)

Finally got through VR mission 18, the wolf plus 2 hammerbros is definitely the hardest part, especially when the wolf charges up his railgun. That shit is near impossible to avoid. One interesting thing that I noticed is the wolf's throwing knives do huge damage to the hammerbros if they're in the way, and wolf has a pretty high chance of using that attack when it spawns, so if you can get a hammerbro in front of you, you have a good chance of instantly taking out one hammerbro, which makes things much easier.

Sallokin

Definitely love this game. Disappointed that half the songs I wanted weren't on the OST that came with the LE though.
LLShC.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP27acq6RkU

Really sad/funny seeing this now considering we know what happened. I honestly still would've preferred getting a stealth Rising game, really cool possibilities. Not really complaining though, Platinum are my favorite current gen developer, so I was ecstatic when I heard that they were developing it.

Though I really wonder what happened to Matsuyama and Kimura, I bet they're janitors over at Koji Pro now :lol

People liking MadWorld over Anarchy Reigns is so sad it brings a tear to my eye.

Still not as retarded as saying that Bayonetta is "on the lower end of the platinum scale" because you had to play on normal for a 1st playthrough.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Still not as retarded as saying that Bayonetta is "on the lower end of the platinum scale" because you had to play on normal for a 1st playthrough.

lol

I think locking difficulty levels is the only thing he pays attention to sometimes

Riposte

lol

I think locking difficulty levels is the only thing he pays attention to sometimes

Its more like I'm only paying attention at all. I don't like sweeping x amount of hours under the rug and then be left with the "true" product after most of the atmosphere has been spoiled.

And you had you beat the whole game yet again to get Non-Stop Climax, where the game shines because Witch Time is kind of insane. Unfortunately, Bayonetta on Normal (which means "Easy" when used in a modern context) was too much of a playground.

Just finished the story today. Great game! Loved everything about it. Currently playing through it again with the infinite FC wig and new sword. With Vanquish, Platinum Games is 2/2 for me.

sonicmj1

Its more like I'm only paying attention at all. I don't like sweeping x amount of hours under the rug and then be left with the "true" product after most of the atmosphere has been spoiled.

And you had you beat the whole game yet again to get Non-Stop Climax, where the game shines because Witch Time is kind of insane. Unfortunately, Bayonetta on Normal (which means "Easy" when used in a modern context) was too much of a playground.

Bayonetta's later difficulty levels are designed around the player having finished Normal first, because that's where the enemies are properly introduced. There's a very logical progression in that game.

I really enjoyed advancing through all the difficulty levels in Bayonetta, getting better at the game and unlocking all kinds of new mechanics through the accessory system.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Gotta walk before you can run

How'd that naked Revengeance run work out for you?

I figure a NSIC run would go about the same for most people their first time playing

Vanquish is an amazing game. I think I prefer it to Bayonetta too, despite spending much longer with Bayo getting all the Achievements and playing through four or five times. Vanquish was badass. Best train section ever too :)

jett

D-Member
i gotta say, the fight with sam was such a letdown. after all that buildup he was so easy. :/

Most bosses in this game are fairly easy. The nanopaste thingy is broken. It's a different story if you're trying to S-rank, although they're all exploitable in some manner.

How much longer do I have to finish the game?

Starting R-06 now.

The music...the local...the boss...yahhhhhhhhh.

Edit: that fight was disappointing. (On easy lollllll)

mattp

Most bosses in this game are fairly easy. The nanopaste thingy is broken. It's a different story if you're trying to S-rank, although they're all exploitable in some manner.
it just felt like it was over so quickly and didn't have any cool "gimmicks" like the other fights. i guess expecting it to be jean 2.0 was setting myself up for disappointment

Riposte

Gotta walk before you can run

How'd that naked Revengeance run work out for you?

I figure a naked NSIC run would go about the same for most people

Best case scenario is that they stop balancing these games on upgrades (not to mention being able to find a balance between "making the entire game an easier learning experience for the real thing" and "allowing players room to quickly learn in the first two levels").

That's the problem with a fresh Revengeance difficulty run and to a lesser extent also Very Hard. Though I'm sure I would have been fine with Very Hard after halfway through the first chapter as my problem was the lack of air parry and dodge and few handy sword attacks here and there. The gorilla robot in the first battle of the first real chapter served as quite the wall, probably because his health was balanced with upgrades in mind. I guess I could have just grinded it out, but I don't like the idea of it on principle and would have made the game kind of hard to talk about with others.

Although the prologue and first chapter is kind of a bore (that is, outside the awesome set piece moments and the novelty of new encounters), Hard is pretty good overall. If Blade Mode is the overpowered equivalent to Witch Time then they did a good job introducing a lot of enemies that make you actually earn the ability to use it against them. I couldn't be the only one who was hoping for more Gracious and Glorious encounters in Bayonetta's normal (there's like two IIRC).

EDIT: It looks like upgrades (and items) will make a mess of this game overall. I don't know if you could say they really balanced all of the enemies versus all of the weapons.

Robot Pants

Back to the Platinum Games talk,
Vanquish is great but its a shooter. A shooter mixed a bit with the action series because of the scoring system (which I think could definitely be better). So it's hard to rank them because Vanquish is kinda in a league of its own. Of Bayonetta and Revengeance, I'm gonna go with

1. Bayonetta
2. Revengeance

I LOVE Revengeance, but I feel it could be a couple chapters longer, and have a few more tweaks to make it really polished. Bayonetta is basically perfect and definitely fine tuned (I guess except for one leaderboard-breaking exploit).

It's the simple things like being able to retry a VR mission after you complete it without having to go back to the main screen, or having to come to a complete stand still to access the weapons menu that hold Revengeance back from being God Tier.

Revven

Decided to yoink an avatar from the OP (hopefully one that nobody else chose :x)

Second playthrough on a lower difficulty is an eye opener, lol. Hard felt soo much more satisfying to play. Still, the game itself is insanely fun.

Robot Pants

Is anyone going to attempt a New Save Revengeance S Rank runthrough?
I tried and it took me about 30 minutes to beat the first encounter in R01 because I had to keep restarting from my one hit deaths.

It's kinda refreshing to see the Vanquish posts here, I've only seen praise for it so I always thought I was missing something by thinking it was merely okay. Flashy sure, but the combat never clicks in an appropriate way. I just feel like I'm in a lot of battlefields with trash mob enemies spraying bullets everywhere most of the time, and the combat itself never feels too great-- only offset by the fact that you can see health bars to not make enemies feel like complete sponges. MGR is fun enough where I will play a boss encounter for 2 or 3 hours straight to get no damage, in Vanquish I try the challenge rooms a couple times and lose all interest after 15 minutes.

Robot Pants

It's kinda refreshing to see the Vanquish posts here, I've only seen praise for it so I always thought I was missing something by thinking it was merely okay. Flashy sure, but the combat never clicks in an appropriate way. I just feel like I'm in a lot of battlefields with trash mob enemies spraying bullets everywhere most of the time, and the combat itself never feels too great-- only offset by the fact that you can see health bars to not make enemies feel like complete sponges. MGR is fun enough where I will play a boss encounter for 2 or 3 hours straight to get no damage, in Vanquish I try the challenge rooms a couple times and lose all interest after 15 minutes.

Challenge rooms are a nightmare.

Astral

For some reason I didn't get the trophy for arriving at the objective in the last level undetected, even though I did just that. Doktor congratulated me and everything.

Robot Pants

Doktor congratulated me and everything.

Hmm, I think you may need to get all the way to the boss fight. Because I don't think there is a convo with Doktor when you make it all the way. Also you do have to make sure you finish out the chapter for some of these trophies.

Top Bottom