• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

The two fucking GRADs at the end of chapter 2 are major BS. One of them falls easily (if you can ever manage to get a goddamn hit in w/o being infinitely stunlocked) but the other has an actual health bar and is a total pain in the ass.

Are you really supposed to just run in circles until the sai is charged > throw and hope it hits > light attack for 2 seconds > repeat?

It's a tough fight but a good one - I just beat them without having sais. Once one goes down it should be easy though.
When he's sliding around you have to wait for him to stop, unless you've broken his shields already.
Doktor has some good tips.

Those set of QTE's seem to be really inconsistent as well, sometimes Raiden immediately pops out and other times, I'm twirling it like crazy(with the prompt even showing that mind you) and I still have to take it.

I'm pretty sure it's based on how much health you have. Easier to escape with high health.

Neiteio

I love the reactions I get showing the Ray fight to people. The exclamations of "WHOA" and excited laughter when Raiden launches him and runs up his arm... Ha! This game is MAGIC.

I like the Balder fight

and the triple Jeanne and Bayonetta fights in Lost Chapter

other than that the bosses are probably the weakest aspect of the game. Including the Jeanne fights which just come down to killing her fast before she jumps on a wall or some shit

Rising's bosses are Platinum's best since Black Baron in Madworld. Here's hoping for more humanoid fights in Bayo 2.

Last Jeanne fight on non-stop infinite climax shits on Rising's bosses from a great height.

But in general, Rising's bosses are more fun and varied. The giant bosses got really boring fighting them the nth time.

Roto13

Someone posted this GIF in the PlayStation Plus thread:

vanquish-o.gif

And I realized that everything in it has an equivalent in Rising. Rising is the ninja version of Vanquish.

No padding in Vanquish, but it's level design is pretty dull for being so short, outside a fun set piece here or there. I expected more from Mikami in that regard.

And the scoring system is REALLY fuckin' boring, and the melee is a waste unless you doing flips or goofing around since it kills your meter. From the makers of Bayonetta and God Hand, it's lacking depth in that regard. After I got the Platinum trophy, I was pretty much done with it.

But hey, those controls, right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niIG5s6ZmQk

Yeah, melee is bad if you are bad.

Someone posted this GIF in the PlayStation Plus thread:

vanquish-o.gif

And I realized that everything in it has an equivalent in Rising. Rising is the ninja version of Vanquish.

This .gif exemplifies all that is good about Vanquish. There aren't that many weapons, but coupled with the mechanics, you can do some really crazy shit!

Shame we'll never get a Mikami directed sequel. Though I'd settle for any PG directed sequel at this point :(

I love the reactions I get showing the Ray fight to people. The exclamations of "WHOA" and excited laughter when Raiden launches him and runs up his arm... Ha! This game is MAGIC.

Man, even after seeing it in videos my jaw dropped again at that fight. What a great start to the game.

Neiteio

I already forgot Anarchy Reigns came out
Anarchy Reigns is SO GOOD. But damn, the Rising demo destroyed my ability to play it. Before I was killing fools as Big Bull, but rewiring my brain to sprint with R1 in Rising, etc, makes it so hard to get back into the AR groove. :(

Of course, the bigger barrier to AR is the ghost town online has become. :-\

Satch

Banned
There need to be more same-size rival fights in video games.

When I fought Monsoon for the first time and he started attacking SUPER FAST and I had to struggle to block everything, the hype was at HOLY-FUCKING-SHIT-THEY'RE-FINALLY-ATTACKING-EACH-OTHER-IN-DRAGON-BALL-Z-AFTER-WEEKS-OF-POWERING-UP-LET'S-GOOOO levels

I love feeling like a kid *.*

Neiteio

There need to be more same-size rival fights in video games.

When I fought Monsoon for the first time and he started attacking SUPER FAST and I had to struggle to block everything, the hype was at HOLY-FUCKING-SHIT-THEY'RE-FINALLY-ATTACKING-EACH-OTHER-IN-DRAGON-BALL-Z-AFTER-WEEKS-OF-POWERING-UP-LET'S-GOOOO levels

I love feeling like a kid *.*
Great analogy! It really is like DBZ, two incredibly powerful yet diametrically opposed forces ramming repeatedly in great sprays of HOLY FUCK. That's why the block/parry mechanic is so brilliant -- having to push in the direction of the incoming attack and hit attack yourself creates the sense you're neutralizing one force with an equal or greater force of your own. It's incredibly impactful, possibly the hardest-hitting sensation in gaming.

Your video only proves his point

jumps in and burns his meter with melee and almost dies for it

don't see how that's any display of skill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg0-R4Ocqu8

Melee does a ton of damage, and if you know how to roll out of stuff and aren't in the open, it helps. A lot. And using certain weapons can gain you even more time using the flip. It's not fair to say "well, without this integral part of the melee system (the flip) it'd be useless" because that's a good portion of the point.

Edit: I posted the wrong video. Congrats to me. But there are lots of videos that show the decent applications of melee. It's not useable as, say, cover, but the fact that it's high damage makes it great for finishers.

Riposte

I think Bayonetta is on the lower end of the Platinum scale (which is mostly fitted within "great") simply because you have to play through the whole game on Normal. MadWorld had the same problem. They fix that mistake in every game since.

ezekial45

Banned
I think Bayonetta is on the lower end of the Platinum scale (which is mostly fitted within "great") simply because you have to play through the whole game on Normal. MadWorld had the same problem. They fix that mistake in every game since.

I felt it was pretty appropriate to play through on Normal. It was moderately challenging in its own right, and it was a good way to learn the system.

But if we're gonna start ranking PG titles;

Bayonetta >>>>>> MGR > Vanquish > Madworld > AR/MA

MGR took probably less time to make than any of their other games, it's already towards the top in terms of quality. It's a testament to PG's talent.

If you're not still pissed at me, JP -- I can honestly say that you guys proved me wrong and kicked ass on this game.

The final boss has ruined the game for me. Blade Mode FUCKING SUCKS and getting so ridiculously punished for not reacting to it within 2 seconds seems incredibly unfair. I think I am done.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The soundtrack included with the game doesn't have ANY of the vocal themes. WTF kobombi

My Platinum rankings:

1. Vanquish
2. MGR
3. Bayonetta
4. MadWorld
5. Anarchy Reigns

I've yet to play Infinite Space, but they didn't really make that anyway. I don't like MadWorld and I think Anarchy Reigns was just bad.

Persona86

Banned

I still prefer Bayonetta thou. There was more focus on "fun" IMO

MGR is really impressive thou, I had a lot of fun (and frustration), amazing effects and action, good times.

L.O.R.D

Vanquish is very good game
anyone should try it
after two hour my hands stopped shacking because of the last battle without any hit
the codec achievement is too dumb and made my head hurt
you are a hero if you listen to all the codecs

Platinum Rankings on Gaming Sides are gonna start cropping up like Pixar ratings soon enough

Bayo/(Viewtiful Joe) > MGR(God Hand) >> Vanquish >> Madworld

Neiteio

The final boss has ruined the game for me. Blade Mode FUCKING SUCKS and getting so ridiculously punished for not reacting to it within 2 seconds seems incredibly unfair. I think I am done.
You don't need to hit all of the targets to cleave the boulder; you can only partially line up with them and still cut the boulder. Cut all the lines and then thwack the boss when he follows, using a quick vertical or horizontal strike. Health items will scatter everywhere.

And if you're still having trouble with the boulder, you can simply run forward and it will land behind you -- just ignore the blue Blade Time prompt.

Also, if you're running out of health, just go to Chapter Select and select the final chapter, and at the very start, grab the repair nanopaste from the red box at the end of the road. Save through Courtney in the codec menu, then reset the chapter and repeat this process, until you have 5/5 repair nanopastes. Bring the pole-arm as your unique weapon, upgrade it a bit so it's stronger, and you can easily get through the base portion of the chapter; alternatively, you can use a box to sneak. Then clobber your way through Excelsus again, and once at the final boss you should still have plenty of healing items.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg0-R4Ocqu8

Melee does a ton of damage, and if you know how to roll out of stuff and aren't in the open, it helps. A lot. And using certain weapons can gain you even more time using the flip. It's not fair to say "well, without this integral part of the melee system (the flip) it'd be useless" because that's a good portion of the point.

I just think it's a poor balance of risk vs reward.

I wouldn't argue there are no applications of the mechanic. I'd argue that there are no applications worth being put in the overheat stage at point blank range from the enemy.

ezekial45

Banned
I've yet to play Infinite Space, but they didn't really make that anyway. I don't like MadWorld and I think Anarchy Reigns was just bad.

Same. I just couldn't get into AR, and I was pretty damn disappointed. It's a hyper repetitive game, and it doesn't really work out for extended play. Plus my online experiences weren't that great. I bought it day 1 and played it three times, but I haven't gone back to it since that first week.

Roto13

You're most likely trying too hard. You don't need to be that accurate.

Neiteio

Anarchy Reigns is -excellent.- My online killing sprees as Big Bull are forever burned into my brain as a hallmark of gaming excellence. The GAF matches were great. "I WAS BORN HORNY!"

You don't need to hit all of the targets to cleave the boulder; you can only partially line up with them and still cut the boulder. Cut all the lines and then thwack the boss when he follows, using a quick vertical or horizontal strike. Health items will scatter everywhere.

And if you're still having trouble with the boulder, you can simply run forward and it will land behind you -- just ignore the blue Blade Time prompt.

Also, if you're running out of health, just go to Chapter Select and select the final chapter, and at the very start, grab the repair nanopaste from the red box at the end of the road. Save through Courtney in the codec menu, then reset the chapter and repeat this process, until you have 5/5 repair nanopastes. Bring the pole-arm as your unique weapon, upgrade it a bit so it's stronger, and you can easily get through the base portion of the chapter; alternatively, you can use a box to sneak. Then clobber your way through Excelsus again, and once at the final boss you should still have plenty of healing items.

Thanks for the advice. Final level and Excelus again though? No chance! That's where I lost all of my health items in the first place. I am having trouble actually fighting the final boss in the first place, but the insane damage you take from the boulder smash, and seemingly no health around to help out, I am fucked.

I simply cannot work out blade mode. For the Sundowner fight I had to run behind him, I couldn't get it work and tried for hours to beat him. I found it impossible to line a blade up with a line that is much higher than Raiden is. Doesn't make any sense to me.

chrono01

Is the timing to hit the boulders more limited on Hard than Normal?

The reason I ask is because when I fought the last boss on Normal, I found the timing to hit the boulders to be pretty generous. I was able to take my time [relatively so], aim precisely, and execute. Perhaps it had to do with my HF Blade having a lot of its upgrades and having full fuel. Perhaps the people running out of time didn't have much fuel to begin with?

If the timing windows really is smaller on Hard, then I do apologize. I guess I'll find out for myself soon enough [after I finish my second Normal play-through - obtaining all of the collectibles/trophies/etc. I can so I can focus on just the "action" in my Hard play-through].

Korigama

My current ranking.

1./MGR
2./Vanquish
3./Bayonetta

That said, I'm worse at playing Vanquish than the other two. My main issues with Bayonetta were related to specific design decisions and general progression: the instant death QTEs were annoying, didn't care for either the bike segment or the flight one (didn't mind that one quite as much, though), could've done with less platforming, and Alfheims should've only counted as secret missions rather than being factored into your overall rank for each chapter.

Neiteio

Thanks for the advice. Final level and Excelus again though? No chance! That's where I lost all of my health items in the first place. I am having trouble actually fighting the final boss in the first place, but the insane damage you take from the boulder smash, and seemingly no health around to help out, I am fucked.

I simply cannot work out blade mode. For the Sundowner fight I had to run behind him, I couldn't get it work and tried for hours to beat him. I found it impossible to line a blade up with a line that is much higher than Raiden is. Doesn't make any sense to me.
You have more time than you think with Blade Mode. When the boulder comes flying at you, gently turn the right stuck until it's at the same angle. Then, nudge the left stick to move the line up or down so that it lines up with the targets. All you need are a few of the targets to line up. Then you strike, by releasing the right stick. It will cleave the boulder, and a new set of targets will appear. Once again, turn the line with the right stick, then hold the right stick to keep the blade drawn. Move the line up or down with the left stick to align. Then release the right stick. And so on.

It's a little tricky, but certainly doable. If you feel frustrated, take a break and come back later. It will retain your checkpoint at the start of the final boss battle.

Another tip with the final boss -- did you upgrade to circle-dodge with X+Square? Make liberal use of this whenever the final boss flashes yellow in his attempts to clobber you up close. By circle-dodging and pressing left or right at the same time, you will leap to his side, sidestepping his attack and attacking him at the same time, and putting you in a position to get a few free hits in.

Then, when he lights up with fire, smack him once or twice and run away so you can dodge whichever attack he unleashes.

I also don't understand people saying "You don't have to be particularly accurate with the swipes". I am hitting two or so head on and still failing it.

WTF.

L.O.R.D

my Platinum games ranking

1- Bayonetta
2- MGR
3- Vanquish
4- Mad World ( played few level in my friend's house, don't have a Wii )
5- Anarchy Reigns ( very repetitive game, story mode is bad , and the online is chaos )

I just think it's a poor balance of risk vs reward.

I wouldn't argue there are no applications of the mechanic. I'd argue that there are no applications worth being put in the overheat stage at point blank range from the enemy.

Depends on the area around the player.

Is there cover? Roll to cover and rest up.
Is there no cover, but no other enemies? Do it as a finisher.
Is there no cover, tons of enemies that can one-shot you, and rolling is no good? Don't do it.
Is there cover but lots of bad dudes? Access how far you'd need to go and if you can do it.

It just depends, and it's been more than helpful in the obvious cases.

You have more time than you think with Blade Mode. When the boulder comes flying at you, gently turn the right stuck until it's at the same angle. Then, nudge the left stick to move the line up or down so that it lines up with the targets. All you need are a few of the targets to line up. Then you strike, by releasing the right stick. It will cleave the boulder, and a new set of targets will appear. Once again, turn the line with the right stick, then hold the right stick to keep the blade drawn. Move the line up or down with the left stick to align. Then release the right stick. And so on.

It's a little tricky, but certainly doable. If you feel frustrated, take a break and come back later. It will retain your checkpoint at the start of the final boss battle.

Another tip with the final boss -- did you upgrade to circle-dodge with X+Square? Make liberal use of this whenever the final boss flashes yellow in his attempts to clobber you up close. By circle-dodging and pressing left or right at the same time, you will leap to his side, sidestepping his attack and attacking him at the same time, and putting you in a position to get a few free hits in.

Then, when he lights up with fire, smack him once or twice and run away so you can dodge whichever attack he unleashes.

You can't prepare the aim before the the slow-mo part starts can you? I've tried entering the Blade Mode but it doesn't seem to want to let me.

Neiteio

I also don't understand people saying "You don't have to be particularly accurate with the swipes". I am hitting two or so head on and still failing it.

WTF.
I usually just hit three of the four targets on each line, which seems to do the trick. So yeah, the majority of them.

You can't prepare the aim before the the slow-mo part starts can you? I've tried entering the Blade Mode but it doesn't seem to want to let me.
I don't think so, but I really think this will be one of those things that suddenly clicks, spinning the stick to roughly line up the targets and unleashing the strike.

Remember, you don't -have- to cut the boulder. You can run forward and it will land harmlessly behind you.

Also, if he tries to heal, run behind him and Blade Mode to cut the fixture on his back.

jett

D-Member
I gotta say, I'm having zero fun advancing through revengeance difficulty. :/ Too much bullshit.

edit: edited for idiots

StuBurns

Banned
If you aim the slow-mo slash, you can just release the stick and hit [] instead, it'll stay at the angle you set, so you don't misalign the slash when attempting to actually initiate it.

NotLiquid

I think I'd rate the PG games thus

1. MGR
2. Bayonetta
3. Vanquish
4. Anarchy Reigns

Not counting their endeavors as Clover of course, then Viewtiful Joe would be on top for me.

I haven't played MadWorld or Infinite Space. Vanquish for me teeters on fourth because my problem with that game is one that TheGamingBrit talked a about in his video review of it. The game play is stellar but a ton of things holds it back on a conceptual and contextual level. It's all set on the same location, squad mates hold you back a bit and the story is pathetic. Of course, I haven't actually gotten around to fully finishing it yet, which I should since I hear it's not even that long. Anarchy Reigns was one of my favorite releases last year but it's dead base makes the possibility of never-ending fun lost, and the game just falls flat because of it. Reminds me of Twisted Metal PS3 in that regard.

That said, they're all remarkable games for me, and even the worst Platinum title is something worth playing.

Metal Gear Rising might not be the longest game or even as refined and structurally sound as Bayonetta, and the game has evident flaws. But it does things no other action game has done before it, and rather excels at such. Bayonetta felt like it's own evolution of the DMC concept while Metal Gear Rising is it's completely own thing, and seeing Platinum's first beat em up that doesn't have a design helmed by Kamiya do so goddamn good is pretty surprising. It shows that even without one of their main guys they have talent that can go above and beyond; just give them an idea and they're golden.

Fantastic bosses that are some of the best in action games (one-on-one bosses in a modern action game actually being the most common occurrence? goddamn), stellar action and most of all one of the best soundtracks of any action game period. If developers don't start taking to them dynamic soundtracks like this then they're seriously undermining one of the best possible things that can add to the atmosphere. The Metal Gear Ray fight is not even ten minutes into the game, and because of how it's set up it's easily one of the most goddamn memorable moments of any action game.

Top Bottom