• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Beat Samuel on hard, no damage, NO TROPHY

how awesome is THAT. I guess it's revengeance for getting the Monsoon no damage trophy last night. oh well, it was pretty easy, only took me 3 tries.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
tumblr_lxprn1h0Nh1qdlh1io1_400.gif

Are you people stupid or being sarcastic? I'm talking about the final difficulty level.

My 95% positive impressions are on the OP of this thread, you mongrels.

I love you Jett

I gotta say, I'm surprised to see MGR so high on the Platinum rankings in here. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, but dat camera. I can't put it over Vanquish and especially Bayonetta which are practically perfect in gameplay. It's a better package than Vanquish with new game+, unlockables, and VR missions, but Vanquish is so polished. Bayo is on another level from most games in general, so yeah.

ZeroRay

With all this PG's talk. Yes, Vanquish > Bayonetta. Scoring system and weapon variety aside, it's top 3 this gen.

Seems like it's gonna be Rising > Bayo as well. Not done yet.

Revven

Lol, going back through R-04 the first battle I thought you were supposed to get into the elevator asap but it's actually counted as one of the battles in your ranking. So it's a good idea to finish it; especially with the turrets they give you.

Question for final boss:

does anyone know how to get the "good" version of that unblockable QTE that knocks away your sword? It does a lot more damage if you block it then if get knocked away

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Was fighting boss, thinking, what is GAF's problem? Is this robot going to start chucking shit at me soon? Then the real final boss. Holy shit.

Many deaths. Many. But then... perfection. Ownage. Incredible.

Very hard already looks lots of fun with robot dogs and fucking hardcore soldiers early on, oh god.

Its a shame this game is probably going to suffer that Q1 curse on peoples GOTY lists next year. I'm not entirely sure how ANYTHING will match the purity of MY REVENGEANCE.

Neiteio

Was fighting boss, thinking, what is GAF's problem? Is this robot going to start chucking shit at me soon? Then the real final boss. Holy shit.

Many deaths. Many. But then... perfection. Ownage. Incredible.

Very hard already looks lots of fun with robot dogs and fucking hardcore soldiers early on, oh god.

Its a shame this game is probably going to suffer that Q1 curse on peoples GOTY lists next year. I'm not entirely sure how ANYTHING will match the purity of MY REVENGEANCE.
RE4 came out in January '05 and still swept the GOTY that year. I think people will remember the glory of Rising.

Yeah that final boss was a dick head. Even on easy the AI can be brutal. I never died once but the final boss I came close. I don't know how you guys do it on revengeance difficulty. I've never been great at action games so I think normal difficulty will be the max I can play the game on.

Total play time on easy: 4:38

That's exploring pretty much everywhere. Felt way longer. Easily 8-10 hours with cut scenes and all.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
ranking games above bayonetta

actiongaf pls

Sorry but Sarah Palin the game does nothing for me.

Ninja Gaiden Black > Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Virgil, pref.) > Devil May Cry 4 > Metal Grey Fox Gear Raiden: Revengence > Ninja Gaiden Sigma > Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma > Dante's Inferno = Devil May Cry 1 = Castlevania: Lord of Shadow > Devil May Cry 2 > Sarah Palinetta > God of War 1/2/3/4/5/6... > a dog turd > Donte must Cry: DmC.

Anyway: Does anyone have a video for the "Great Escape" achievement? I need to see how to stealth run past these Gekko's quickly.

Astral

Is there a list of all the encounters somewhere? I always manage to miss some and I'm guessing missing them will screw up my S rank Revengeance run.

Persona86

Banned
With all this PG's talk. Yes, Vanquish > Bayonetta. Scoring system and weapon variety aside, it's top 3 this gen.

Seems like it's gonna be Rising > Bayo as well. Not done yet.

I love MGR, but it was a bit too frustrating for me. Bayonetta was pure fun to the max, it was the full package and it kept on giving, so much content, so for me.

Bayonetta>MGR>Vanquish (I have yet to finish vanquish so this is subject to change)

TheSeks

Infinite Wig B + Bloodlust = Easy trophy.

I'm trying to do it on my Hard run/first playthrough since I've gotten all the other level achievements at the same time as completing the level. I'm not too sure about reaching the 7 mins with this one.

ezekial45

Banned

Ninja Gaiden Black > Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Virgil, pref.) > Devil May Cry 4 > Metal Grey Fox Gear Raiden: Revengence > Ninja Gaiden Sigma > Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma > Dante's Inferno = Devil May Cry 1 = Castlevania: Lord of Shadow > Devil May Cry 2 > Sarah Palinetta > God of War 1/2/3/4/5/6... > a dog turd > Donte must Cry: DmC.

Now I know you're crazy. Rating DMC2 over Bayonetta, GoW, and DmC.

good lord.

Is there a list of all the encounters somewhere? I always manage to miss some and I'm guessing missing them will screw up my S rank Revengeance run.

These should be all the optional encounters:

R-01: Backtrack to hammerhead arena after getting the first left hand, call for backup
R-02: Call for backup
R-03: Call for backup, turn left at rooftop stairs (should be after first rooftop battle, third rooftop) and open black box, kill all 5 enemies when Raiden is slowwalking before Monsoon
R-04: Kill all enemies before boarding elevator (they're not infinite), Backtrack to Body Double room after Sundowner cutscene
R-05: Enter room to the left of the level exit

And of course, never sneak past an area.

Ein Bear

Anyway: Does anyone have a video for the "Great Escape" achievement? I need to see how to stealth run past these Gekko's quickly.

Did you honestly just rank DMC2 above Bayonetta?

I mean, there's different opinions and all that. But come on.

I only have Ninja Gaiden Sigma and haven't really put much time into it, but what are the differences between it and Black that make for that much of a gulf in your ranking?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Just had a weird glitch against Sam.

He was stuck at .01% but wouldn't initiate the attack to finish the fight. I attacked and parried for several minutes to no avail. He just didn't want to die. After a while, I just laughed, nodded to him, and restarted the match. I'll give you that one, Sam.

joe2187

Banned

You are not a real person

chrono01

KWwbG.gif

Persona86

Banned

He was stuck at .01% but wouldn't initiate the attack to finish the fight. I attacked and parried for several minutes to no avail. He just didn't want to die. After a while, I just laughed, nodded to him, and restarted the match. I'll give you that one, Sam.

My glitch was watching him walk through a big rock to get his sword. :)

Had the same shit happen to me.

"whoops"

Also, S-Rank Revengeance mode down. I stopped listening to the Codecs half way through because fuck it, I got enough to focus on. But the hard part is over.

Astral

These should be all the optional encounters:

R-01: Backtrack to hammerhead arena after getting the first left hand, call for backup
R-02: Call for backup
R-03: Call for backup, turn left at rooftop stairs (should be after first rooftop battle, third rooftop) and open black box, kill all 5 enemies when Raiden is slowwalking before Monsoon
R-04: Kill all enemies before boarding elevator (they're not infinite), Backtrack to Body Double room after Sundowner cutscene
R-05: Enter room to the left of the level exit

And of course, never sneak past an area.

Nice. Thanks.

TheSeks

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2455532/GIFS/1314902537368.gif

See, someone gets it. But seriously: Bayonetta sucked hardcore.

I have no opinion on Vanquish simply because I don't classify in the same genre as the rest of these. It's more a Third Person Shooter than an action game.

Neiteio

Bioshock, The Last of Us and Pokémon X & Y are going to have to work pretty hard to beat this.

GTA V will sweep the GOTYAs... ;_;
For me, of the games we know about right now, I can only imagine Rayman Legends or The Wonderful 101, another Platinum game, usurping MGRR for my GOTY. I'm loving the hell out of Fire Emblem Awakening right now, and I strongly suspect Luigi's Mansion will be superb. BioShock Infinite and The Last of Us will be great, no doubt. Pokemon X and Y, as well. A new 3D Mario from EAD Tokyo could come out this year (just as 3D Land did the year it was revealed), as well as a new Mario Kart. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs could be a GOTY contender if it meets or exceeds the thrills delivered in the first one. Oh, and then there's Pikmin 3, and Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and the Unveiled Edition of Resident Evil: Revelations. Puppeteer is another game I'm anticipating. Maybe Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain is/are this year, as well? So many more I'm sure I'm neglecting to write down...

But MGRR is like a game made for me. It's possible Bayonetta 2 could come out this year, since they had been working on it for years prior and Nintendo may be waiting for E3 to go all-out guns blazing in an attempt to attract core attention. Bayo 2, then, could conceivably contest MGRR. And I suspect TW101 will be more amazing than anyone anticipates. So we'll see. But as an action gamer, MGRR is the lock so far. Anarchy Reigns could wind up on the list, as well.

Persona86

Banned

I have no opinion on Vanquish simply because I don't classify in the same genre as the rest of these. It's more a Third Person Shooter than an action game.

Since Bayonetta is my favorite, I find it hard to understand your opinion. Maybe you could help me understand your point of view? What did you not like?

joe2187

Banned

before my rage overcomes my rational thinking from this... this....terrible opinion, please tell me what you did not like.

Since Bayonetta is my favorite, I find it hard to understand your opinion. Maybe you could help me understand your point of view? What did you not like?

something something cutscenes something something vehicle sections something character design something

who gives a fuck

TheSeks

before my rage overcomes my rational thinking from this... this....terrible opinion, please tell me what you did not like.

Bayonetta as a character, the QTE's (that I blame for infecting Revengence, but thankfully they're less "tap this" and more "Tap this to finish enemies."), the combat (too many moves that are pointless) and levels.

Really, just the whole package but mostly the character of Bayonetta who was just a sexualized Sarah Palin for god knows what reasons Kamiya had.

njean777

Wow rating the new DMC last? WTF is wrong with you? And having DMC 2 over Bayonetta? You must have some sort of chemical imbalance in your brain.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Had the same shit happen to me.

"whoops"

Also, S-Rank Revengeance mode down. I stopped listening to the Codecs half way through because fuck it, I got enough to focus on. But the hard part is over.

Congrats! I've cleared out the collectibles at this point, and now I just have the hard parts left. It's all combat and codecs now.

To be fair, the character and design can be offputting to some... not enough to legitimately warrant ranking it that low, though. Keep in mind that TheSeks also thinks that MGR should have a dedicated block button.

So, I got all of the VR mission but no trophy unlock. Gonna slam through them to see if it'll pop up then. Still hunting for left arms and
Men in Boxes.

One of the best character action games I've had the pleasure of playing. :)

Complete a chapter. For the collectible achievements, you usually have to complete the chapter because they pop when you actually acquire the reward at the stats screen.

Excellent. Thanks for the tip!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So, I got all of the VR mission but no trophy unlock. Gonna slam through them to see if it'll pop up then. Still hunting for left arms and
Men in Boxes.

One of the best character action games I've had the pleasure of playing. :)

Complete a chapter. For the collectible achievements, you usually have to complete the chapter because they pop when you actually acquire the reward at the stats screen.

Top Bottom