• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Defunkled

Even though there is no trophy/achievement for it, is it even possible to beat
MG Excelsus
without taking damage? Some of his attacks can only be parried, but you still take some damage.

Even though there is no trophy/achievement for it, is it even possible to beat
MG Excelsus
without taking damage? Some of his attacks can only be parried, but you still take some damage.

I literally never parried a single one of it's attacks, but you can not get damaged if you use the dodge move right before he hits you. You have invincibility frames during that :)

I'm not really digging the Pincer Blades. They're really slow and only do one move it seems. I mean it's good for air juggles, but why bother with them? The Sai and Polearm is far better.

It's a 3-hit Combo, and every hit can be charged, plus you can't be knocked out of the charging once you glow blue except by yellow attacks (dwarf gekko or mastiff grab, hammer grunt overhead swing, maybe the bladewolf chainsaw grab). It's very useful against swordsmen because they can't parry or block the charged attacks, and are knocked down by the first charged hit which guarantees the rest of the sequence. Dodge offset is useful for keeping it more or less safe and also letting you more easily do the charged second hit, which covers a larger area.

The only disadvantage is that it sometimes kills enemies before giving you a change to zandatsu. It's much better than the Sai against everything except fliers, gunships, or GRADs.

Nah, I'm not going learn to do any cancels or shit like that. If a player has to learn and rely on something like taking advantage of cancels/invincibility frames... something's wrong with your game

This game/genre isn't for you. Figuring how to manipulate the combat system with cancels is the first thing you are supposed to try in action games. Trade the game in.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Nah, I'm not going learn to do any cancels or shit like that. If a player has to learn and rely on something like taking advantage of cancels/invincibility frames... something's wrong with your game. Things like that should not be nearly required to play a game.

What is this nonsense?

Never played an action game before? It's like saying, if you need to rely on stealth in a MGS game, something's wrong with it. The game is intended to be played this way.

joe2187

Banned
i still have no clue how to reliably parry, i can do like 2 in a row but my third one usually ends up being an attack

The window for a parry is pretty generous, when faced with a quick combo attack however you can be hit because the window of your first parry was open too long and you will automatically drop your sword, pause between your parries slightly and you should have no issue.

This QTE to get out of stun lock shit is starting to get on my nerves now.

Playing the original two mario parties on the N64 have hardwired my reflexes to automatically use my right hand to twirl that stick till it smoked.

Part of me was expecting Raiden to scream "I've been waiting for this pain," when he
asked Dok to turn off his pain inhibitors.
That part was so good. Just finished that boss fight. Had no idea what I was doing but got through it.

I've just started chapter R-03 and just now started to parry regularly. It really took a while to get a feel for it.

This QTE to get out of stun lock shit is starting to get on my nerves now.
You mean the analog QTE? I fucking despise analog stick QTE more than anything. Especially when I'm playing at night and everyone is asleep and I'm there mashing this fucking stick back and forth like a dick. It can get loud.

03sho

Something about this game makes me ill (headache).

I think it's the camera. It's too slow so I have to manually move it with the right stick and when I manually move it its too fast.

Playing the original two mario parties on the N64 have hardwired my reflexes to automatically use my right hand to twirl that stick till it smoked.

Lol, I hear ya. I didn't mind it on Normal or Hard, but on Very Hard it's starting to get me killed. Particularly when fighting the gorilla thing(whatever they're called), since you have to use the stick to get out of their grabs. Those set of QTE's seem to be really inconsistent as well, sometimes Raiden immediately pops out and other times, I'm twirling it like crazy(with the prompt even showing that mind you) and I still have to take it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Something about this game makes me ill (headache).

I think it's the camera. It's too slow so I have to manually move it with the right stick and when I manually move it its too fast.

You can also click the right stick to recenter, or adjust the camera speeds in the options menu.

L.O.R.D

Done and Done

m5zn_cbd8e99f2cdd782.jpg

Man, Revengeance mode is really difficult, even with almost max upgrades and infinity wig b. The first fight in the game they just decide to throw a gecko at you.

Fuckin' a. I'm two chapters through it so far.

Krecik

Is there any way to replay chapters quickly? I want to improve my rank at R-06, but every time I finish it, I have to start the next chapter, return to title screen, select my save file etc. I miss that in between chapters screen from Bayonetta, it was so useful. I would expect Revengeance to have a 'return to chapter select' or something option in the customization menu between missions and was really quite surprised by the lack of one.

Looks like the DLC is going to be playing as Sam and Blade Wolf on those missions they mention.

Sam has both his arm's in at least one mission so it likely concludes with him losing t hence the Sam we seen in the game

If you haven't played Bayonetta and Vanquish either, which order is best to play these games in?

Im thinking;

play vanquish first
then Bayonetta
then Rising

I am asking in terms of accesibility, and appreciation and evolution of the combat. Maybe I should play bayonetta at the end, since its the holy grail?

If you haven't played Bayonetta and Vanquish either, which order is best to play these games in?

Im thinking;

play vanquish first
then Bayonetta
then Rising

I am asking in terms of accesibility, and appreciation and evolution of the combat. Maybe I should play bayonetta at the end, since its the holy grail?

Personally I think vanquish is the weakest of the 3 and id avoid it unless you are determined to play it.

Metal Gear Rising
Vanquish (only if you really want to play it)
Bayonetta

Krecik

I would play Bayo as the last one. Playing any other slasher after Bayonetta would just not feel right, at least it's like that in my case. Revengeance is an awesome game, but it's a bit further from perfection than Bayonetta.

Defunkled

Personally I think vanquish is the weakest of the 3 and id avoid it unless you are determined to play it.

Metal Gear Rising
Vanquish (only if you really want to play it)
Bayonetta

Don't let this post deter you from playing the best third-person shooter this generation. Vanquish is unmatched in the sense of speed and snappiness it provides for the player. DON'T skip it.

Vanquish is clearly the weakest of the three games and maybe overrated a bit by GAF at large, but you should play it anyway, if nothing else but to experience some of the best third person shooter controls out there. Don't play it like a cover shooter, either. Just slide around a lot and get headshot.

The only bad thing about Vanquish is that it doesn't have any unlockables at all lol.

Other than that it literally has the most perfect campaign in all of gaming, absolutely no padding whatsoever. Fucking amazing.

Extremely polished, and absolutely no jank whatsoever. Can't say the same about Rising :$

bayonetta the most robust game but its bosses aside from jeane are pretty unremarkable and there's significant padding in the game via shitty afterburner/space harrier gameplay segments

No padding in Vanquish, but it's level design is pretty dull for being so short, outside a fun set piece here or there. I expected more from Mikami in that regard.

And the scoring system is REALLY fuckin' boring, and the melee is a waste unless you doing flips or goofing around since it kills your meter. From the makers of Bayonetta and God Hand, it's lacking depth in that regard. After I got the Platinum trophy, I was pretty much done with it.

But hey, those controls, right

Raxus

bayonetta the most robust game but its bosses aside from jeane are pretty unremarkable and there's significant padding in the game via shitty afterburner/space harrier gameplay segments

The game was meatier even cutting those segments. Jeanne is a remarkable boss fight but there were other notable boss fights as well.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I like the Balder fight

and the triple Jeanne and Bayonetta fights in Lost Chapter

other than that the bosses are probably the weakest aspect of the game. Including the Jeanne fights which just come down to killing her fast before she jumps on a wall or some shit

Rising's bosses are Platinum's best since Black Baron in Madworld. Here's hoping for more humanoid fights in Bayo 2.

and yeah Vanquish is their weakest title if you ignore Anarchy and Madworld like most people here seem to be. but I just don't like console shooters personally.(I'd rather replay Madworld than Vanquish at this point)

I'd like it more if it incorporated more control aspects from RE4 than Gears.(game needed a 180 quick turn. stuff that makes shooters on consoles playable)

Top Bottom