• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

So...are perfect parries intentionally more awesome on Revengeance difficulty or what? It seems to one-shot whatever it hits. Not that I'm complaining.

JPKellams

Really, just the whole package but mostly the character of Bayonetta who was just a sexualized Sarah Palin for god knows what reasons Kamiya had.

Let's just ignore the fact that Bayo existed as a character before anyone outside of Alaska knew who Sarah Palin even was...

Sigh, I'm glad this conversation is happening on the internet, because I am almost certain your stupid would be contagious in person.

Jarmel

Banned
tumblr_lxprn1h0Nh1qdlh1io1_400.gif

Btw where is that gif from? It looks like Michael from Arrested Development.

These no damage achievements are kicking my ass. Monsoon is a dirty cheating bastard. I always get so close to the end, then choke up on some small mistake.

JPKellams

Yeah. Seriously. Wow.

You'd think that Sarah Palin thing would have gone away with her career by now.

EDIT: BTW - I don't have any problem with his/her ranking list. Everyone can have an opinion, right or wrong as it may be. Prescribing motives to actions to justify the list, which are patently false, opens him/her up for a little good natured ribbing.

Kyon

Banned
Let's just ignore the fact that Bayo existed as a character before anyone outside of Alaska knew who Sarah Palin even was...

Sigh, I'm glad this conversation is happening on the internet, because I am almost certain your stupid would be contagious in person.

Drag ha to the pits of Tartarus!

Yeah. Seriously. Wow.

*______*

How many people have mentioned you're awesome today?

Because no matter how large the number, it ain't enough.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Hahah, truth.

Don't you have to finish the game before you can buy it? :p

The fact that you can carry it into the higher difficulties without penalty is pretty ridiculous. You only need to beat it on Normal, which means that a lot of people might not experience the Hard difficulties or above without that wig.

joe2187

Banned
Bayonetta as a character, the QTE's (that I blame for infecting Revengence, but thankfully they're less "tap this" and more "Tap this to finish enemies."), the combat (too many moves that are pointless) and levels.

Really, just the whole package but mostly the character of Bayonetta who was just a sexualized Sarah Palin for god knows what reasons Kamiya had.

I dont care what you say about character design, and I'll agree on the QTE's being crappy, and Kamiyas obsession with Space Harrier makes for a shitty level.

That is minor to what the game does so well above other action games. The amount of depth involved in the overall design of the game, every pixel of the game oozes insane amounts of love and attention to detail for their character. The free flow of the combat system and the numerous ways to customize your weapon loadout for limitless potential.

ezekial45

Banned
Yeah. Seriously. Wow.

Sarah Palin is our generation's Dan Quayle, but she also sparked the Tea Party movement and has a sizeable following. Not to mention her reality show.

So she's gonna be in the public eye for awhile, unfortunately.

These no damage achievements are kicking my ass. Monsoon is a dirty cheating bastard. I always get so close to the end, then choke up on some small mistake.

Always charge and release the pincer blades after he reforms from being knocked apart. This will dramatically accelerate the battle and reduce the amount of room for error.

katkombat

Banned

Holy shit I'm dying over here.

My impressions so far: Just beat chapter 02. So Raiden kills
George
? I'm not sure if he'll come back or if he's gone and it didn't show him killing just the other guy. Either way, the game is the best "character" action game of this generation, IMO. That could be my rose tinted Metal Gear boner glasses looking at it though, but its fucking fantastic this far! Gonna work my way through this + Vanquish + Binary Domain AT THE SAME TIME. I'm preparing for an awesomeness overload.

1)Bayonetta
2)MGR -1 more year of development might have topped Bayonetta.
3)Vanquish

Glad I read some people agree that melee in Vanquish felt underdeveloped.. It feels like melee was really good early on so they nerfed it into a gimmick , aka a way to finish off one enemy that looked cool but forced you to run and find cover..

Don't you have to finish the game before you can buy it? :p

I've beaten the game all the way through about 4 times now, but 3 of those were with the wig on. Since it doesn't affect your score, there's literally no reason to take it off once it's equipped.

Out of curiosity, what skins do you guys mainly use? I was rocking the MGS4 skin in my initial playthrough, but ever since then it's been Suit all the way.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Always charge and release the pincer blades after he reforms from being knocked apart. This will dramatically accelerate the battle and reduce the amount of room for error.

I never used a subweapon on a boss. That might have to change on Revengeance difficulty.

Out of curiosity, what skins do you guys mainly use? I was rocking the MGS4 skin in my initial playthrough, but ever since then it's been Suit all the way.

I alternate between Suit, Gray Fox, and Desperado.

I've beaten the game all the way through about 4 times now, but 3 of those were with the wig on. Since it doesn't affect your score, there's literally no reason to take it off once it's equipped.

Grey Fox as soon as I could afford it.

I never used a subweapon on a boss. That might have to change on Revengeance difficulty.

Pincers against Monsoon basically makes it so you only have to worry about parrying attacks before the first junk throwing phase and when he separates himself at 40%. The entire rest of the battle will be alternating cutting up junk and pincering him.

chrono01

Gray Fox.

Since I've equipped it I haven't taken it off. I refuse to use the Fox Blade, though, since I have it fully upgraded. It basically breaks the game. I did try it out for a brief moment, though.

As for my primary blade, I'm working on upgrading the Murasama Blade now.

I wish I'd known this before. D:

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Pincers against Monsoon basically makes it so you only have to worry about parrying attacks before the first junk throwing phase and when he separates himself at 40%. The entire rest of the battle will be alternating cutting up junk and pincering him.

Yeah, I saw some videos online of the Pincer Blades destroying certain bosses. I saw one where it basically breaks Sam's AI. I felt like it ruined the fight, though. :(

Against Monsoon, though? Fuck that guy.

Persona86

Banned
To be fair, the character and design can be offputting to some... not enough to legitimately warrant ranking it that low, though. Keep in mind that TheSeks also thinks that MGR should have a dedicated block button.
I loved her design, the only thing I would change is make her head a bit bigger to make her proportions a little less extreme. Everything else including animation was great.

I'm not as good of a reviewer as some of you, but I guess my rankings would be like:

1. Viewtiful Joe - I just like 2D games a lot and I really, really like the extra characters, so this game had a ton of replayability for me.

2. God Hand

3. Bayonetta - I hate the PS3 port's issues. This would probably be higher if I had a 360.

4. Devil May Cry

5. Vanquish - It's about as good as Bayonetta, but I don't like the lack of extra stuff, and something about the progression of the game feels kind of unmemorable to me (like, I could recite the order of all the stages and bosses of the other games by memory, but a lot of the stuff in this game just runs together for me).

6. Okami

7. Anarchy Reigns

8. Madworld - If I were ranking games by their presentation, this and Okami would be at the top, but for a game this short (and I don't mind the length) to get dull over one playthrough is a big issue for an action game.

I don't know where Rising would go yet, since I haven't beaten Revengeance and the VR missions. I would probably put it in the top half at this point.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I loved her design, the only thing I would change is make her head a bit bigger to make her proportions a little less extreme. Everything else including animation was great.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Character design preference is always incredibly subjective.

Joe Lee

Holy shit I'm dying over here.

My impressions so far: Just beat chapter 02. So Raiden kills
George
? I'm not sure if he'll come back or if he's gone and it didn't show him killing just the other guy.

You'll find out within the first five seconds of Chapter 03.

Sorry but Sarah Palin the game does nothing for me.

Ninja Gaiden Black > Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Virgil, pref.) > Devil May Cry 4 > Metal Grey Fox Gear Raiden: Revengence > Ninja Gaiden Sigma > Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma > Dante's Inferno = Devil May Cry 1 = Castlevania: Lord of Shadow > Devil May Cry 2 > Sarah Palinetta > God of War 1/2/3/4/5/6... > a dog turd > Donte must Cry: DmC.

Anyway: Does anyone have a video for the "Great Escape" achievement? I need to see how to stealth run past these Gekko's quickly.

Here let me fix that list for you.

Devil May Cry 3 SE = Bayoneta > Metal Gear Rising > Ninja Gaiden Black > Ninja Gaiden Sigma > Devil May Cry > Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 > Devil May Cry > DmC > God of War > Castlevania: Lord of Shadows = Dante's Inferno > Chaos Legion > Devil May Cry 2 > Darksiders 2 > The Force Unleashed 2 > The Force Unleashed = Darksiders.

Thanks for the advice, but it's all on my end! I make it nearly to 10% of his health and then I screw up. My biggest error are those damn smoke grenades. They do such a small amount of damage that I believe that they're more just to piss me off, lol.

On an unrelated note, are the sales of this game looking good? I don't expect an exact number, but I would love to see it sell and would absolutely love a sequel or something.

Keep up the good work, Platinum!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
LOL. I forgot how long Bayo's middle finger is. And people say her limbs are too long... ;)

JP, are you guys planning on doing anything more with the Platinum Online Store?

On an unrelated note, are the sales of this game looking good? I don't expect an exact number, but I would love to see it sell and would absolutely love a sequel or something.

Keep up the good work, Platinum!

I sure hope so. PS3 version is still in the top 100 on Amazon.com.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
So... did I screw up or do you have to get through Ch 00 without any upgrades even if you're playing a New Game+?

Just started up Very Hard mode and I don't like it.

Top Bottom