• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Astral

Hey JP, if I may share a wish, it would be cool to have an update or DLC for a Boss Mode where we can jump directly to our boss of choice. Also, a model viewer to better appreciate all the cyborg goodness! :)

Hell yes. This game is begging for a boss rush mode.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Are people really this bad at Free Blade Mode? I've messed up on the boulder part of the final boss maybe twice in the five times I've fought him.

For me, it really was as simple an oversight as not realizing that I could use the left stick to orient the camera at that point. I'm not sure why, but I just figured the game would want to line up the camera for me so I could focus on getting the slash right. Of course, the camera never helps you the rest of the game, so it's my fault for assuming it would there for some reason.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Are people really this bad at Free Blade Mode? I've messed up on the boulder part of the final boss maybe twice in the five times I've fought him.

Would have been less jarring for a lot of people if there were other obligatory instant precision moments in the game that were a bit less punishing. Like for instance perhaps when
Monsoon is throwing shit at you/doing the Lorenz force ball attack.

Roto13

I always use free blade mode and I had trouble with the boulder part, but that's because I thought you had to hit all of the boxes and it doesn't give you much time.

People who just mash square or triangle are lame. :p

Would have been less jarring for a lot of people if there were other obligatory instant precision moments in the game that were a bit less punishing. Like for instance perhaps when
Monsoon is throwing shit at you/doing the Lorenz force ball attack.

I thought that's what Mistral's staff, Sundowner's shield and Sam's sword was for?

Also I hate how some trophies are locked behind others. Since I'm pretty certain I'll never get Virtually A God, that also means I'll never get Ich Bin Kapitalismus :/

Neiteio

The model viewer in Anarchy Reigns was perfect, even offering a toggle for each character's different modes. It'd work great with this game, too. Example: Looking at Sundowner's 3D model, you could hit Triangle to toggle between his shield and pincer blade modes.

As for a boss rush mode, it could have a timer so people can compete for the fastest completion times, with individual boss select (pick one and fight) and a gauntlet mode where you attempt to go through all of them on a single lifebar or some such.

I really just want to be able to jump straight to Mistral when showing this game to people, lol.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The model viewer in Anarchy Reigns was perfect, even offering a toggle for each character's different modes. It'd work great with this game, too. Example: Looking at Sundowner's 3D model, you could hit Triangle to toggle between his shield and pincer blade modes.

As for a boss rush mode, it could have a timer so people can compete for the fastest completion times, with individual boss select (pick one and fight) and a gauntlet mode where you attempt to go through all of them on a single lifebar or some such.

I really just want to be able to jump straight to Mistral when showing this game to people, lol.

You could always save right before Mistral and copy the save data to another slot. Temporary solution. :p

EDIT: Oh wait, it autosaves, so that wouldn't really work.

chrono01

If people used the face-buttons for slicing up until that point, I can see how it might be troublesome for them.

As for me, though, I used manual aiming throughout the entirety of the game, so I never had a problem with the final boss. I messed up once [mainly because I didn't expect it], but that was it.

I'm not trying to say that I'm better than anyone else, just that I was more accustomed to manual aiming. As I said, if you used the face-buttons for the previous portions of the game, I completely understand why so many of you are hitting a potential "wall" there.

Neiteio

You could always save right before Mistral and copy the save data to another slot. Temporary solution. :p
Hmm, but wouldn't I have to remember to quickly exit out right before I complete the battle, so that the next checkpoint doesn't autosave over it? Or maybe I'd have to always use my remaining two file slots for Mistral backups, and when I use one, I make sure to re-copy the other? At any rate, it's still not the same as being able to jump straight to any of the bosses at my leisure. Certain bosses, like Sundowner, take an especially long time to get back to, since in his case,
you have to do the Mistral and Monsoon rematches first

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Hmm, but wouldn't I have to remember to quickly exit out right before I complete the battle, so that the next checkpoint doesn't autosave over it? Or maybe I'd have to always use my remaining two file slots for Mistral backups, and when I use one, I make sure to re-copy the other? At any rate, it's still not the same as being able to jump straight to any of the bosses at my leisure. Certain bosses, like Sundowner, take an especially long time to get back to, since in his case,
you have to do the Mistral and Monsoon rematches first

Yeah, I realized that too late. And Mistral has mid-fight checkpoints too, so it really doesn't work.

For me, it really was as simple an oversight as not realizing that I could use the left stick to orient the camera at that point. I'm not sure why, but I just figured the game would want to line up the camera for me so I could focus on getting the slash right. Of course, the camera never helps you the rest of the game, so it's my fault for assuming it would there for some reason.

If you click in on the left stick,
you can walk around while in blade mode too

Dead

well not really...yet
OH MY GOD

DAT FEEL WHEN YOU DESTROY THAT FINAL BOSS

QmmZO0S.jpg

;_;

edit: yeah I had NEVER used manual aim even once in the entire game until the final boss. But once it clicked, that was it lol.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I thought that's what Mistral's staff, Sundowner's shield and Sam's sword was for?

Also I hate how some trophies are locked behind others. Since I'm pretty certain I'll never get Virtually A God, that also means I'll never get Ich Bin Kapitalismus :/

Those were easily bruteforced with rapid XY blade mode slashes. Part of the confusion also stems from the visuals of having to line up 4 hitboxes versus one specific point. Apart from a random ass gate with two, there's no similar moment up until that point.

Roto13

Those were easily bruteforced with rapid XY blade mode slashes. Part of the confusion also stems from the visuals of 4 hitboxes versus one specific point. Apart from a random ass gate with two, there's no similar moment up until that point.

How did you fight Sundowner? :p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The only part of the game that REQUIRES precision before that point is sundowner's shield...but it is also not hard to figure out you can ignore the shield as you fight him letting you skip that part.

Also, his cuts are actually somehwhat hard to pull off. The final boss one is more lenient.

Dead

well not really...yet
I dunno know what to do next

Very hard to punish myself, or a quick Normal run to rack up some BP and finish the collectibles

Finally got all the data storage things. I've also found all of the Double Tripods and killed them (I'm sure) but no achievement. Maybe it's because there are one or two who can disappear if you alert them, even if you kill one of the Doubles, the other one will disappear nearly instantly. Time to go through them again tomorrow I guess. :\

I think you have to get all of them in one playthrough as well.

In two playthroughs I had found and killed all the pairs except the ones in chp.5, when I killed those two in my 3rd run, I didn't get the trophy. It wasn't until my 4th run, when I killed all of them, that I got the trophy.

chrono01

I think you have to get all of them in one playthrough as well.

In two playthroughs I had found and killed all the pairs except the ones in chp.5, when I killed those two in my 3rd run, I didn't get the trophy. It wasn't until my 4th run, when I killed all of them, that I got the trophy.

Not only do you need to get them in one play-through, but you apparently need to do it without using Chapter Select.

Also, the Achievement/Trophy won't activate until you finish the Chapter you're on.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Not only do you need to get them in one play-through, but you apparently need to do it without using Chapter Select.

Also, the Achievement/Trophy won't activate until you finish the Chapter you're on.

There's character select? Disregard part of an earlier post I made then.

Just got this last night. Enjoying it so far. The combat is slightly confusing to me. Can someone explain the parry system? With normal enemies I have no problem, it's stuff like gekkos that are giving me trouble. Are you supposed to parry when you see a red flash or is that just an enemy telegraphing a move? Do you parry just before a hit? I seem to be doing fine just kind of button mashing and stumbling through the encounters, but I'm playing on normal.

My only complaints are that the camera flakes out from time to time and the codec. Good god, the codec. It's completely optional, but, as a Metal Gear fan, I feel inclined to listen to all the conversations. Those saying the game is short probably haven't sat through some of these codecs. There's an achievement for listening to most of them, but I found myself eventually just spamming Y to get through them. I'm assuming this is Kojima's/Kojima Productions' part of the game? I know the joke is they need an editor. But they really, really need an editor. Codec stuff used to be fun to listen to, but the codec in this feels like the equivalent of MGS4's overly long cutscenes and mission briefings. I much prefer the tape system from Peacewalker. If you listen to all the codecs, they are longer than the levels themselves and they constantly update with each new checkpoint. When I told myself last night I was going to force myself to listen to them, I literally said Jesus Christ a few times they were so long. I spent more time looking at the codec screen than actually playing the game. I can't wait until my second playthrough when I can ignore it completely.

So i managed to get to the very last section of the last boss on very hard and i have zero nano paste and getting donged on before i get him past 180% health.

Fuck

Dead

well not really...yet
So i managed to get to the very last section of the last boss on very hard and i have zero nano paste and getting donged on before i get him past 180% health.

Fuck
Persevere, and after you successfully cut through the debris he throws at you, and drops 4 nano pastes...

Collect them fast and then save with Courtney in the codec.

After you die, you will respawn with those 4 nanopastes.

Unless...they don't spawn in very hard?

Riposte

OH MY GOD

DAT FEEL WHEN YOU DESTROY THAT FINAL BOSS

http://i.imgur.com/Zak2aM5.jpg?1[IMG]

;_;

edit: yeah I had NEVER used manual aim even once in the entire game until the final boss. But once it clicked, that was it lol.[/QUOTE]

You don't see how that image is a spoiler?

Revven

Hey JP, if I may share a wish, it would be cool to have an update or DLC for a Boss Mode where we can jump directly to our boss of choice. Also, a model viewer to better appreciate all the cyborg goodness! :)

Boss Rush mode DLC would be AWESOME. Seriously, this game needs it or is perfect for it. Boss Selection would be nice, too. It'd help in getting the achievements/trophies too so you wouldn't have to go through the missions all the time.

Also, may I say that the lock-on on the final boss helps with some of the camera issues I had before. I just replayed it on a lower difficulty and
the part where he knocks your sword away and you have to go grab it I was able to get much easier without getting hit by Armstrong. Simply because the camera was focused on him and let me see behind me so I could see what attack he was doing while grabbing my sword. Seriously, it's helpful, you don't even need to hold down lock-on, just tap it once and it stays on the locked target; something I didn't understand in my first playthrough and never used it lol.

Just got this last night. Enjoying it so far. The combat is slightly confusing to me. Can someone explain the parry system? With normal enemies I have no problem, it's stuff like gekkos that are giving me trouble. Are you supposed to parry when you see a red flash or is that just an enemy telegraphing a move? Do you parry just before a hit? I seem to be doing fine just kind of button mashing and stumbling through the encounters, but I'm playing on normal.

My only complaints are that the camera flakes out from time to time and the codec. Good god, the codec. It's completely optional, but, as a Metal Gear fan, I feel inclined to listen to all the conversations. Those saying the game is short probably haven't sat through some of these codecs. There's an achievement for listening to most of them, but I found myself eventually just spamming Y to get through them. I'm assuming this is Kojima's/Kojima Productions' part of the game? I know the joke is they need an editor. But they really, really need an editor. Codec stuff used to be fun to listen to, but the codec in this feels like the equivalent of MGS4's overly long cutscenes and mission briefings. I much prefer the tape system from Peacewalker. If you listen to all the codecs, they are longer than the levels themselves and they constantly update with each new checkpoint. When I told myself last night I was going to force myself to listen to them, I literally said Jesus Christ a few times they were so long. I spent more time looking at the codec screen than actually playing the game. I can't wait until my second playthrough when I can ignore it completely.

I think this Tamari dude who wrote the story just doesn't know when to stop. The Doktor calls especially are fucking torture.

The old MGS games had long codec calls as well. But: A. They were a shit load more interesting. And B. They still weren't this fucking long!

Though since the story of this game is utter trash anyways, I really shouldn't have expected more from him.

With that said though, there are still some pretty cool calls here and there that are worth pursuing, just skip the bullshit ones lol.

Neiteio

There's character select? Disregard part of an earlier post I made then.
There's a CHAPTER select, not a character select. If you want to fight any given boss (other than Sam, who has his own chapter), you'll have to complete the rest of the chapter first. :(

lol I double perfect parried Sam to finish that fight in a matter of seconds. Though it only earned me an A. Guess I gotta go legit with this.

Good tip for getting BP. There are two crates on that level that have Nanopaste. If you have 5 nanopaste, you'll get 100BP instead. That 200+ whatever you get in the battle should net you S-rank, dat BP bonus

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

When the opponent flashes red, or in the case of a Gecko their leg flashes red, it's just a cue that an attack is coming. You shouldn't necessarily block at that moment, because sometimes their moves have a lot of startup.

If you block with perfect timing, you'll get a parry. Otherwise, if you're struck during the approximately 1 second blocking animation, it's just a regular block. Keep in mind, you need to block every strike, so if someone is doing a combination of attacks on you, you need to press forward+weakattack for every hit.

Good tip for getting BP. There are two crates on that level that have Nanopaste. If you have 5 nanopaste, you'll get 100BP instead. That 200+ whatever you get in the battle should net you S-rank, dat BP bonus

Those count towards your point totals? I had no idea. That's really good to know. I should be picking up everything I can in a level, then.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
There's a CHAPTER select, not a character select. If you want to fight any given boss (other than Sam, who has his own chapter), you'll have to complete the rest of the chapter first. :(

Don't know what happened there, meant chapter select.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is a perfect parry damage specifically really toned up for Revengence? I honestly don't like that at all.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Is a perfect parry damage specifically really toned up for Revengence? I honestly don't like that at all.

Yeah, I don't get that design choice, personally. It does appear to be specifically amped up for Revengeance. I guess it's intended to promote perfect parries? It might be interesting if there was a mode where you did 0 damage unless you got a perfect parry... and then it did a lot of damage.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Did this get posted?

"Honestly I think that personally if we are going to make a sequel to Rising it should feature Frank Yaeger as a main character versus zombies... nano machine-powered zombies. That's what I'm proposing to Platinum and the producer of the project, but they seem to be ignoring me.

"I said I'll even write the story for it, but our story writer said, 'no that's ok, that's ok. Don't worry about it'."

Source. I dunno why but this whole quote is cracking me up.

My issue for a while was not having much fuel. Once I stopped using blade to slice the guy when be was vulnerable and saved fuel, I had more time to line up the shot.

Top Bottom