• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The perfect parry window is REALLY small on Rev mode, at least.

Yeah, I'm glad about this. Certainly no DmC.

Still, I thought it might've been a Sam quirk but it does the same on bladewolf. It makes Revengence more bearable...but it shouldn't be, dammit.

Yeah, I don't get that design choice, personally. It does appear to be specifically amped up for Revengeance. I guess it's intended to promote perfect parries? It might be interesting if there was a mode where you did 0 damage unless you got a perfect parry... and then it did a lot of damage.

This mode would be badass as hell. Damn.

Finished it. Final boss was... it was pretty good, once I got over how that fucker has an answer for pretty much every move. The blade mode wasn't too hard, although I guess I went into that with the right knowledge. The story kinda goes full retard. Not sure how I feel about that. I kinda dug how anti-Iraq War it gets towards the end, but the boss itself was ridiculous. At least the first form was
an actual Metal Gear.

Fucking amazing game, though. Definitely not done playing- after the credits I pretty much dove straight back into the game. My aim was just to see the Gray Fox costume- it's fucking amazing- but I ended up playing through the whole of R-001 and R-002. The combat feels so damn good, and the sais make it so much more fun. Fully upgraded the HF Blade too, so that should help me tear this game apart.

Kinda want to start an Easy Mode playthrough just for kicks. Haha.

Did this get posted?

Source. I dunno why but this whole quote is cracking me up.

Zombies aside, because fuck you Kojima, I think having Frank playable in the sequel is a given. It's too obvious now they've finally gotten the cyborg ninja Raiden game out of the way. Set it up like BLOPS2, cutting between post-MGR:R Raiden and pre-MGS1 Gray Fox.

koryuken

OH MY GOD

DAT FEEL WHEN YOU DESTROY THAT FINAL BOSS

QmmZO0S.jpg

;_;

edit: yeah I had NEVER used manual aim even once in the entire game until the final boss. But once it clicked, that was it lol.

What is manual aim? Sorry I'm new at this game. Are you talking about when you are cutting them up?

Kyon

Banned
What is manual aim? Sorry I'm new at this game. Are you talking about when you are cutting them up?

yes. Also same happened with me. Someone told me to pull the analog to the position you want all the way and let go. I always thought i had to use the analog as if im cutting but thats not the case lol now i can use BM manually

Zombies aside, because fuck you Kojima, I think having Frank playable in the sequel is a given. It's too obvious now they've finally gotten the cyborg ninja Raiden game out of the way. Set it up like BLOPS2, cutting between post-MGR:R Raiden and pre-MGS1 Gray Fox.

I actually don't even want a full Gray Fox game anymore. Raiden is so over the top now. I just want to continue his adventures, especially with DAT SUIT and Ripper voice acting.

koryuken

Ha, yeah, they get all Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, even saying they can still take you, lol. XD

I was a bit freaked out when the Gekko had no legs and was just laying on the ground. Not doing anything, but not dead either... This game is very sadistic, but I love it :)

Neiteio

I actually don't even want a full Gray Fox game anymore. Raiden is so over the top now. I just want to continue his adventures, especially with DAT SUIT and Ripper voice acting.
Hell yes, more Raiden please. And a separate co-op campaign in MGR2 where two people can run around slicing shit up would be divine.

Also, the ability to summon Wolf as in-battle backup. "WOLF, DISTRACT THE MASTIFFS! I'LL HANDLE THE GRAD!"

deim0s

My issue for a while was not having much fuel. Once I stopped using blade to slice the guy when be was vulnerable and saved fuel, I had more time to line up the shot.

There's the problem. Blade mode is more of a finisher move, just do regular combo/moves to damage and strip armor. When I saw the first TGS gameplay videos - journos (or whatever) keep spamming blade mode all over the place doing miniscule damage.

That's why I said I'd like a game with both! I love Gray Fox but holy shit that post-credits scene.

Can you unlock Suit Raiden to play as? Oh, and is there any way to play as the non-fucked-up Raiden from the prologue? Oh, and whilst I'm asking, MGS4 Raiden in here at all?

Ha, yeah, they get all Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, even saying they can still take you, lol. XD

I love their cries of "MY LEGS!" that they sometimes exclaim when you de-limb them. The delivery is genius.

Also, Sundowner's intermittent "CHRIST!"-s were hilarious.

Neiteio

I was a bit freaked out when the Gekko had no legs and was just laying on the ground. Not doing anything, but not dead either... This game is very sadistic, but I love it :)
I don't think it's sadistic. Everyone has nanomachines inhibiting their pain, so no one is suffering. And with the exception of the cowardly soldiers hiding in boxes (which I spare anyways), everyone wants a piece of you, lol.

I think cyborg enemies work very nicely in this regard. I know Mikami is no longer at Platinum, but didn't he say once that Vanquish (and I suppose RE) had the enemies they did so players wouldn't feel guilty? Knowing the enemies in this game are mostly machine certainly helps remove any cognitive dissonance.

That's why I said I'd like a game with both! I love Gray Fox but holy shit that post-credits scene.

Can you unlock Suit Raiden to play as? Oh, and is there any way to play as the non-fucked-up Raiden from the prologue? Oh, and whilst I'm asking, MGS4 Raiden in here at all?

1. Beat R-00 on Very Hard.

2. Beat the game on Hard or above.

3. DLC, sucka.

Kyon

Banned

yes, yes, and thats DLC $1.99 also have to unlock for 20k BP

Game is fun so far.
Right now I'm at the second fight with monsoon and I can't beat the guy. It feels like i'm just getting lucky on him.
Very annoying.

What's the difference between prologue Raiden and MGS4 Raiden? The retainer and spit shield? I like rockin' the original body, kinda reminds me of Dante.

Good tip for getting BP. There are two crates on that level that have Nanopaste. If you have 5 nanopaste, you'll get 100BP instead. That 200+ whatever you get in the battle should net you S-rank, dat BP bonus
Thx bro. One more chapter and then I start VR missions. That'll be a treat.

Epcott

Did they take wall running out of the game? I've tried running along side the wall in ninja run, but it never works.

And what eactly does Doktor give you when you collect enough arms? By the end of the game I think I had 21 rights and ~40 lefts, and still nothing.

Beat it! (on hard for first playthrough)

EDIT: Getting through that first section without any backup ration/health was a pain

Now on to the VR Missions as well as getting the other blades, play as Gray Fox w/HF Blade, complete a couple of S ranks, and to actually listen to all of the codec conversations

Hot Coldman said:
The story kinda goes full retard. Not sure how I feel about that. I kinda dug how anti-Iraq War it gets towards the end, but the boss itself was ridiculous.

University of Texas!! baby! (I was born in Austin)

Next game needs to at least have a flashback mission where Raiden saves Sonny from the Patriots. Or...You can start the sequel with it so it can function as a tutorial/beginner level so they dont have to pull the old Samus Aran "I damaged my suit and lost my weapons" crap

Korigama

Did they take wall running out of the game? I've tried running along side the wall in ninja run, but it never works.

And what eactly does Doktor give you when you collect enough arms? By the end of the game I think I had 21 rights and ~40 lefts, and still nothing.
1./Yes, they did.

2./Only left arms, specifically ones with I.D. data (these are always highlighted in blade mode, and you can see who has them ahead of time through a green diamond beacon in augment mode). There are 30 in all.

EDIT:

10 arms: infinite wig A (infinite sub-weapon ammo)
20 arms: infinite wig B (infinite fuel cells)
30 arms: Armor Breaker HF blade, wig C (instant kills against fodder with blade mode, equivalent to Fox Blade; must beat hard mode first)

1./Yes, they did.

2./Only left arms, specifically ones with I.D. data (these are always highlighted in blade mode, and you can see who has them ahead of time through a green diamond beacon in augment mode). There are 30 in all.

So THAT'S why those guys had a green thing on them in Augment Mode. Holy fuck, I'm learning something new about this game every single day.

Peace Tea

Get to Sundowner.... discover right joystick is usable in BM -__-. I'm enjoying the game so far though, even if the stealth segments are a bit of a drag. I'm on level 05 right now and wondering if I should finally purchase & switch to a different weapon.

It's interesting how the counter was buffed so much for Rev difficulty, it basically one-shots most things, but the difficulty would probably get tedious really quickly (or people would all resort to wig abuse) if it wasn't there. The enemies get their damage buffed while the player gets their counter buffed, and it ends up feeling like instagib in a classic FPS.

Easy/Normal/Hard are variations of one game, Very Hard feels like a different game completely, and Revengeance is yet another completely different experience. I'm having to un-learn most of the effective/safe techniques from Very Hard in order to make any progress in Revengeance difficulty without the wigs.

Very Hard is too brutal for me. I can't even get past the prologue.

You don't need to fight the section right before Ray, just cut through the fence. I eventually managed it but it seemed pretty pointless since it was only difficult because the game took away all your tools.

Epcott

1./Yes, they did.

EDIT:

10 arms: infinite wig A (infinite sub-weapon ammo)
20 arms: infinite wig B (infinite fuel cells)
30 arms: Armor Breaker HF blade, wig C (instant kills against fodder with blade mode, equivalent to Fox Blade; must beat hard mode first)

1. That sucks

2. That's awesome! Thanks! Getting those arms can be a pain in the ass. Spamming verticle slash helps but I'm finding manual is the way to go.

Get to Sundowner.... discover right joystick is usable in BM -__-. I'm enjoying the game so far though, even if the stealth segments are a bit of a drag. I'm on level 05 right now and wondering if I should finally purchase & switch to a different weapon.
If you're only now discovering both sticks are usable with BM, I'ma blow your mind with this shit: you can MOVE in BM if you click down the camera stick and your sword isn't currently in swing.

Though it's kind of completely useless until you get wig B, then it becomes absurdly broken.

TWILT

Banned
Just beat Mistral (dat music) and I'm absolutely loving this game. Just playing on Normal for now, then I'll go to hard (sue me lol). I love parrying in this game.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I just, i can't do it guys I cannot beat the fucking senator no damage on very hard. I can do the final part on hard no problem taking zero damage but the fist fight is next to impossible on hard because if you get hit by the punch you take 40% damage and it forces a check point so you need to restart the WHOLE chapter to get another shot. But on very hard THIS MOTHER FUCKER IS RELENTLESS. He'll do that fire wall shit and corner me and then charge up an aoe and I LEGITIMATELY HAVE NO WHERE TO RUN. This is starting to feel like pure luck especially since some times I cannot interrupt him.

Sajjaja

I just, i can't do it guys I cannot beat the fucking senator no damage on very hard. I can do the final part on hard no problem taking zero damage but the fist fight is next to impossible on hard because if you get hit by the punch you take 40% damage and it forces a check point so you need to restart the WHOLE chapter to get another shot. But on very hard THIS MOTHER FUCKER IS RELENTLESS. He'll do that fire wall shit and corner me and then charge up an aoe and I LEGITIMATELY HAVE NO WHERE TO RUN. This is starting to feel like pure luck especially since some times I cannot interrupt him.

Dodge is your friend. That's how I did it on Hard.

I think if it wasn't for the camera being too slow to follow locked on enemies, I would have mastered this game by now. Really the only major flaw that prevents it from being Bayonetta-tier.

Mike M

Nick N
Just beat Sundowner, and I think I did it... Wrong, somehow.

Alright, I saw that the hinges glowed blue, but the only opportunity I ever saw to slash them was the Zandatsu opportunity after winning the QTE when I parried his shield rush, and there was never a clear shot. I'm guessing you're supposed to do it after using blade mode to slash his shield, but I could never line up a slash that hit all three targets, Raiden would always go at a slight angle and I'd miss one, and then the shield would explode in my face, so I just quit trying.

I don't know if I glitched the game out, found an exploit, if it just happens after you do a certain amount of damage, or if the game took pity on my inability to cut off the shields, but I wound up in a loop where he would raise his shield, I would get behind him, whale on him as the shield dropped, block the subsequent behind-the-back hit, then he'd go and raise his shield again.

He was really, really easy (currently playing on Hard)...

Top Bottom