• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just beat Sundowner, and I think I did it... Wrong, somehow.

Alright, I saw that the hinges glowed blue, but the only opportunity I ever saw to slash them was the Zandatsu opportunity after winning the QTE when I parried his shield rush, and there was never a clear shot. I'm guessing you're supposed to do it after using blade mode to slash his shield, but I could never line up a slash that hit all three targets, Raiden would always go at a slight angle and I'd miss one, and then the shield would explode in my face, so I just quit trying.

I don't know if I glitched the game out, found an exploit, if it just happens after you do a certain amount of damage, or if the game took pity on my inability to cut off the shields, but I wound up in a loop where he would raise his shield, I would get behind him, whale on him as the shield dropped, block the subsequent behind-the-back hit, then he'd go and raise his shield again.

He was really, really easy (currently playing on Hard)...

You can just beat him without taking out the shield, like you did.

To actually get rid of the shield you do need to hit the 3 red marks and be accurate, or do the parry on the shield. The blue hinge is tough to hit, you need to angle the slice properly without hitting a panel.

I would say that precision slicing will be important for a part later on so...good luck. :p

Bsigg12

Fantastic game. But fuuuuuuuuck man.....that last boss....it took me half an hour until I realized how to use the manual aim

Peace Tea

If you're only now discovering both sticks are usable with BM, I'ma blow your mind with this shit: you can MOVE in BM if you click down the camera stick and your sword isn't currently in swing.

Though it's kind of completely useless until you get wig B, then it becomes absurdly broken.

Mind Blown. Gonna go test this while in air, and while grounded.

duckroll

Just beat Sundowner, and I think I did it... Wrong, somehow.

Alright, I saw that the hinges glowed blue, but the only opportunity I ever saw to slash them was the Zandatsu opportunity after winning the QTE when I parried his shield rush, and there was never a clear shot. I'm guessing you're supposed to do it after using blade mode to slash his shield, but I could never line up a slash that hit all three targets, Raiden would always go at a slight angle and I'd miss one, and then the shield would explode in my face, so I just quit trying.

I don't know if I glitched the game out, found an exploit, if it just happens after you do a certain amount of damage, or if the game took pity on my inability to cut off the shields, but I wound up in a loop where he would raise his shield, I would get behind him, whale on him as the shield dropped, block the subsequent behind-the-back hit, then he'd go and raise his shield again.

He was really, really easy (currently playing on Hard)...

The double Blade Mode method is VERY hard to cut the shield parts off. The better way is to wait for him to raise his shield and do a charge attack at you first, then you parry that, and do a button mashing QTE where Raiden rips one part of the shield open (one of the three rows), and this opens a Blade Mode chance where you can cut off the hinges for just that row. Once you have one row removed, from then on it gets a lot easier to break the rest since there's already a hole.

Kyon

Banned
If you're only now discovering both sticks are usable with BM, I'ma blow your mind with this shit: you can MOVE in BM if you click down the camera stick and your sword isn't currently in swing.

Though it's kind of completely useless until you get wig B, then it becomes absurdly broken.

WHAT? Why did I never know this?

Hypron

I just started revengeance mode, and damn perfect parrying stuff is hilarious. I killed the 2nd form of the first boss in 20 seconds flat. I hit it for around 20% damage when it was charging its laser, then avoided the laser, then hit it for another few % damage to go into blade mode. And then something hilarious happened. I was about to parry its headbutt, but for some reason raiden perfect parried one of the bullets fired by its shoulder turret instead and ended up hitting the head with the riposte, killing it instantly.

strobogo

Banned
Senator fight isn't too hard even on hard if you have Wig B and leveled up. I got him to do his recharge before he got the chance to throw rocks, and then got him down to under 20% just staying in blade mode for a good 3 minutes of non stop chopping. And then the actual rock parts are much easier when you have basically an unlimited window to line it up.

baphomet

After dying about 30 times on senator I'm finally done with this. I haven't wanted to twist a controller apart in my hands in years, but that just about did it.

Hypron

Ugh, I was going for a no damage run on Mistral and got one-shotted out of nowhere (my health is at 180% and mistral's strongest attack removes 150% so I don't really know what happened). Ha well, I guess I'll have to replay the mission anyway to S-rank it but still, that's quite frustrating.

Also, I don't get how people can say she's the best boss fight in the game, those dwarf geckos are so annoying.

Nose Master

Well, VR mission 07 certainly taught me how to parry. Not sure if it was legitimately difficult, or if I've been derping my way through the game thus far.

Well, VR mission 07 certainly taught me how to parry. Not sure if it was legitimately difficult, or if I've been derping my way through the game thus far.

I've tried that numerous times and I can't beat it. I can parry, but I'm having trouble with the counter-attack parry.

Also, did you all notice the cyborg playing with the cat during the Monsoon cutscene?

demidar

Finally got back, went to JB Hi Fi and was dismayed it wasn't on the shelf. So I asked a guy and he said it should be behind the counter. Walk up to the counter and the girl looked around but couldn't find it. She asked the manager and he said they were literally unpacking it at that second, and I asked for a PS3 copy. A minute later he came out and asked if I had a preorder and I replied no. He said whatever and automatically upgraded me to preorder status for being the first customer and I got a steelbook for free. JB Hi Fi is the best.

Gonna eat some belated lunch and then LEAVE IT ALL BEHIND

edit: Seems I got both the Cyber Ninja and Inferno Armour codes.

It kicked my ass for quite a while. It was the first hard VR mission.

To help you get the 1st/Gold medal for it, play this right as you start the mission so that the music really kicks in just as you gain control. Running right or left immediately helps dodge the missiles, then you can just slide into as many of the cyborgs as you can, then enter blade mode in mid slide.

Now that I'm working through Revengeance difficulty and VR mission 18, I have to say, the toughest enemy in the game isn't the Mastiff, or the GRAD, or Monsoon, or
Armstrong

It's the fucking dwarf gekkos. Holy shit. They grab you, they steal lock-on, and they do attacks that can be parried but that you would never want to parry.

If a mastiff spawns, I think "oh time to parry a dropkick". If a sword commando spawns, I think "oh here's pincer blades". If a hammer commando spawns, I think "they're surprisingly squishy". If a GRAD spawns, I think "oh let me introduce you to Dystopia". But if see a pack of those little fuckers join the party I don't know what the fuck I can do.

Senator fight isn't too hard even on hard if you have Wig B and leveled up. I got him to do his recharge before he got the chance to throw rocks, and then got him down to under 20% just staying in blade mode for a good 3 minutes of non stop chopping. And then the actual rock parts are much easier when you have basically an unlimited window to line it up.

How do you attach wigs? Also, what do the left arms actually unlock? I've been upgrading the swords power and health in the End of Chapter screens. Not seen wigs though?

BD8MkUTCcAEq5HM.jpg:large

Now for VR missions...

FUCK

ViviOggi

How do you attach wigs? Also, what do the left arms actually unlock? I've been upgrading the swords power and health in the End of Chapter screens. Not seen wigs though?

You equip wigs in the Customize screen once you've unlocked one. And they are in fact unlocked by the left hands Doktor asked you for.

Hypron

Hey guys, I've got a question: how do you avoid the GRAD's spinning kick? I tried dodging or parrying it but I always end up getting hit...

zainetor

Banned
Now that I'm working through Revengeance difficulty and VR mission 18, I have to say, the toughest enemy in the game isn't the Mastiff, or the GRAD, or Monsoon, or
Armstrong

It's the fucking dwarf gekkos. Holy shit. They grab you, they steal lock-on, and they do attacks that can be parried but that you would never want to parry.

If a mastiff spawns, I think "oh time to parry a dropkick". If a sword commando spawns, I think "oh here's pincer blades". If a hammer commando spawns, I think "they're surprisingly squishy". If a GRAD spawns, I think "oh let me introduce you to Dystopia". But if see a pack of those little fuckers join the party I don't know what the fuck I can do.

use entranger or just spam ninja run+light attack

Armstrong

Dude, the polearm exists pretty much for the sole purpose of dealing with those buggers. I'm not sure if that remains true on Revengeance difficulty, but it can't be too different.

Alternatively, ninja-run and swipe like crazy.

im thinking of saving money early on for the Fox Blade, is it worth it? :D Been playing with Gray Fox from the start as soon as i got the 20k of cash.

ViviOggi

Ah OK. I've collected a bunch of those, not sure what they offer so far. Unless they are weapon upgrades?

You get a wig for every 10 hands you collect, and in addition you have to complete the story once on Normal (for the 10 and 20 hands unlock) or Hard (30 hands unlock). You don't get anything else for the hands as far as I know, the weapon upgrades simply unlock once you have purchased the previous tier of the same type.

Resilient

Okay, I'm starting the last boss now. Played through on Hard. Please don't take me forever. Also I've been using manual blade mode the whole game (two sticks) so hopefully that will save me from the wrath.

EDIT : wow, just unpaused and the first thing the boss says is
feel the wrath?!
Man is that freaky!

Dude, the polearm exists pretty much for the sole purpose of dealing with those buggers. I'm not sure if that remains true on Revengeance difficulty, but it can't be too different.

Alternatively, ninja-run and swipe like crazy.

They actually have a decent amount of health on Rev. difficulty (and VR018), and take atleast 6 or so sword swings to kill (or a full polearm combo). They feel almost as robust as grunts are in Hard, and it seems like the quickest way to kill them is to let them grab you or go for a yolo charged pincer. I've found using polearm around the stronger enemy types just to get rid of dwarf gekkos to be just as dangerous as just trying to engage the legitimate threats with the gekkos around, but I admit I'm not particularly good at making polearm safe.

It's designed to be a nuisance and they interfere with just about everything the player might want to do, but they're just a bit too good at it on the higher difficulties, especially if you're going for parries. It's a bit frustrating since I have to learn crowd control halfway through the highest difficulty and on my last VR mission.

They actually have a decent amount of health on Rev. difficulty (and VR018), and take atleast 6 or so sword swings to kill (or a full polearm combo). They feel almost as robust as grunts are in Hard, and it seems like the quickest way to kill them is to let them grab you or go for a yolo charged pincer. I've found using polearm around the stronger enemy types just to get rid of dwarf gekkos to be just as dangerous as just trying to engage the legitimate threats with the gekkos around, but I admit I'm not particularly good at making polearm safe.

It's designed to be a nuisance and they interfere with just about everything the player might want to do, but they're just a bit too good at it on the higher difficulties, especially if you're going for parries. It's a bit frustrating since I have to learn crowd control halfway through the highest difficulty and on my last VR mission.

Well, that's a bummer. I guess ninja-run seems like your only decent option, if there is one.

I'm going to have to rethink how I play big time if I'm gonna try out Hard and higher. I barely even use the dodge.

Hypron

Well, that's a bummer. I guess ninja-run seems like your only decent option, if there is one.

I'm going to have to rethink how I play big time if I'm gonna try out Hard and higher. I barely even use the dodge.

These fuckers can actually grab you even when you are ninja-running. The area near the beginning of chapter 2 with 2 rocket launchers and lots of dwarf geckos running around taught me that the hard way. Also, they kill you instantly in Revengeance mode if you fail the wiggle QTE, which is quite crazy.

L'Etranger breakdance spam doesn't work either? Even if you mash the button to keep spinning? That's been my favorite tactic against the little bastards so far, but I'm not on Revengeance yet, so.......

Hypron

L'Etranger breakdance cheese doesn't work either? Even if you mash the button to keep spinning? That's been my favorite tactic against the little bastards so far, but I'm not on Revengeance yet, so.......

If you are only facing dwarf geckos it works, but if you have normal enemies running around they might parry the attack, leaving you wide open to be grabbed by a dwarf gecko.

I took some shit photos of the CE Guide. Someone asked, so here they are. I have finished the game 100% now, so it's useless to me, but a nice item to have haha. The blade on the front is shiny *.* as is the Japanese character on the back. It kind of reacted with the camera in a weird way.
Wow, that's an awesome looking guide! Reminds me of how in-depth the Doublejump books were.

Resilient

Damn!! Last boss was pretty intense but got through it in the end. Strange people were struggling so hard with the need for precise blade cutting, the worst attack by far was the
flame/lava bullshit
, I mean fuck, it was so ambiguous as to whether you could block it or not. Sometimes you could and other times you had to just run away from it?

All in all, holy shit Platinum Games, you knocked it out of the park. I'm going to be replaying this a lot. Very Hard, here I come, and then ... Revengeance?

Also, this absolutely puts DmC to shame. I got my ass kicked at the start of the game because I was in such a DmC mode, and that game is a damn holiday compared to this. So good PG, so so good, can't wait for Bayo 2.

Nose Master

It kicked my ass for quite a while. It was the first hard VR mission.

To help you get the 1st/Gold medal for it, play this right as you start the mission so that the music really kicks in just as you gain control. Running right or left immediately helps dodge the missiles, then you can just slide into as many of the cyborgs as you can, then enter blade mode in mid slide.

I got it a few minutes after that post. The only problem were the three saber assholes. The parrying back and forth bullshit doesn't really work with three dudes. I eventually just pirahna'd them (ninja ran around them in a circle waving my sword like an idiot) / randomly polearmed until the parry finally went through.

Hilariously enough dwarf gekkos have the fastest grab-type move in the game, I think. It's the only reason why pincers are actually risky against them, since they can grab you out of the charging with no warning, while the more dangerous enemies are pretty free to charged pincers since it has MVC Hulk super armor.

It's pretty clear Revengeance difficulty is basically a different game altogether, not just a more challenging version of the default difficulties.

Dereck

This is me 5 hours in:

I don't understand how to parry = I hate this game.

I understand how to parry = I love this game.

Top Bottom