• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Monocle

I finally saved up for the fox blade. Is it worth it? i dont have any other main weapons yet except the muramasa.
Cuts through everything like butter, which can be good or bad depending on how challenging you like the game to be. Apart from the Murasama and wooden sword it's my favorite of the extra blades.

Shinjica

This game has two major problem. First one is the camera, really awful.

The second one is Kojima. I'm pretty sure it was him who "tell" Platinium game to add stealth section who nobody asked for.

Monocle

The second one is Kojima. I'm pretty sure it was him who "tell" Platinium game to add stealth section who nobody asked for.
Which stealth section? I don't recall any mandatory stealth areas.

Bedlam

Actually, I really had fun doing the Chinese village section the stealthy way on my second playthrough. It almost felt like playing Tenchu.

ViviOggi

The worst thing about the VR missions is how bloody long they take to restart. I got so tired of sitting through the intros over and over again when I was going for gold ranks earlier this weekend. I think quick restarting should be the absolute top priority in any game with challenges of this kind.

Definitely, the introduction sequence was neat the first few times but became annoying rather quickly. Same goes for the game throwing you back to the VR mission selection after completing one.

ViviOggi

Someone here probably figured it out way earlier than me, but I was delighted to find that you could
climb the highest building in the japanese garden area and get an achievement for cutting off its pole
(is that a necessary spoiler?). It's those hidden details that make additional playthroughs so much more fun.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
These fuckers can actually grab you even when you are ninja-running. The area near the beginning of chapter 2 with 2 rocket launchers and lots of dwarf geckos running around taught me that the hard way. Also, they kill you instantly in Revengeance mode if you fail the wiggle QTE, which is quite crazy.
Well, that about confirms I'm never playing this game on Revengeance.

Someone here probably figured it out way earlier than me, but I was delighted to find that you could
climb the highest building in the japanese garden area and get an achievement for cutting off its pole
(is that a necessary spoiler?). It's those hidden details that make additional playthroughs so much more fun.

I really loved that bit. Mainly because I ninja-killed everyone, ha, but it was such a neat area.

jett

D-Member
Hoarding up points in this game for a game-breaking weapon? wat. Upgrade your shit, people. Hell, you can get the blade mode wig which has the same effects as the fox blade if you're so desperate for a crutch. :p

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Hoarding up points in this game for a game-breaking weapon? wat. Upgrade your shit, people. Hell, you can get the blade mode wig which has the same effects as the fox blade if you're so desperate fora crutch. :p

But then the little scrubs can't use infinite blade mode AND the fox blade effect, how will they get those free S ranks?

Sephzilla

Wait...you can cut Sundowner's shield?

I had no idea. Just killed him by attacking his back.

Yep. And if he does his charge straight at you, you can parry it for a free chance to slice away bits of his shield.

Once you "figure him out" Sundowner might actually be the easiest boss in the game.

Monocle

Actually, on the topic of mandatory stealth play, there is one such area in the Sundowner level. It's the floor where you destroy the three generators hidden in the walls. If you want to collect all of the left arms for Doktor, you have to take out everyone on the floor without being detected. That condition met, a hammer guy with a collectible arm will spawn in the large office.

That whole sequence is a pain if you're impatient like I am, but since it's the only section of its kind, it's not the worst thing in the world. I had more trouble landing an accurate slash to sever the arm than I did avoiding detection.

Dave_6

Finally beat
Armstrong
last night and boy oh boy is that so satisfying. Now to play it again and again until I get all the extras (lol).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yep. And if he does his charge straight at you, you can parry it for a free chance to slice away bits of his shield.

Once you "figure him out" Sundowner might actually be the easiest boss in the game.

He's actually easier when you don't "figure him out" and just slash at his back. I didn't know this until my second playthrough. It really makes the fight anti-climactic. They should have made Sundowner just drop his shields and go Pincer if he took enough damage.

Carbonox

Actually, on the topic of mandatory stealth play, there is one such area in the Sundowner level. It's the floor where you destroy the three generators hidden in the walls. If you want to collect all of the left arms for Doktor, you have to take out everyone on the floor without being detected. That condition met, a hammer guy with a collectible arm will spawn in the large office.

That whole sequence is a pain if you're impatient like I am, but since it's the only section of its kind, it's not the worst thing in the world. I had more trouble landing an accurate slash to sever the arm than I did avoiding detection.

I'm terrible when it comes to severing the arms. I should really use the manual cut with the right stick but I CBA because of how tedious it can be. :lol

He's actually easier when you don't "figure him out" and just slash at his back. I didn't know this until my second playthrough. It really makes the fight anti-climactic. They should have made Sundowner just drop his shields and go Pincer if he took enough damage.

I always hit him with the pole arm at max range and trigger the shield explosion, then rush in for a quick combo. Rinse and repeat, throw in some dodges.

McNum

If there's one thing I wish for an unlockable in this game that isn't there, it'd be Stealth Camo. It's a Metal Gear staple, and if it had the same limits as AR mode, meaning it switches off if you Ninja run or fight, it could be pretty fun to use. Although it would probably make some parts of the game completely trivial.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I always hit him with the pole arm at max range and trigger the shield explosion, then rush in for a quick combo. Rinse and repeat, throw in some dodges.

You can actually perform offensive defense almost point blank in his face with the HF Blade and the invincibility frames will make the shield explosion completely miss. But the fact that you can beat him without seeing the second stage or hearing the vocals makes me sad.

If there's one thing I wish for an unlockable in this game that isn't there, it'd be Stealth Camo. It's a Metal Gear staple, and if it had the same limits as AR mode, meaning it switches off if you Ninja run or fight, it could be pretty fun to use. Although it would probably make some parts of the game completely trivial.

I don't think they have to worry about that, as the Fox Blade or Wig C makes a lot of the game pretty trivial.

Considering how trivializing some of the unlocks are, I would be all for that. At least to complete the Gray Fox set.

Sephzilla

I was somewhat surprised Stealth Camo wasn't something Raiden used in MGR. It could have been something similar to AR mode, or perhaps something that would drain your fuel cells while in use.

Monocle

Sorry but Sarah Palin the game does nothing for me.

Ninja Gaiden Black > Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Virgil, pref.) > Devil May Cry 4 > Metal Grey Fox Gear Raiden: Revengence > Ninja Gaiden Sigma > Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma > Dante's Inferno = Devil May Cry 1 = Castlevania: Lord of Shadow > Devil May Cry 2 > Sarah Palinetta > God of War 1/2/3/4/5/6... > a dog turd > Donte must Cry: DmC.

Anyway: Does anyone have a video for the "Great Escape" achievement? I need to see how to stealth run past these Gekko's quickly.
I feel like this post was carefully crafted to be as insane as possible.

See, someone gets it. But seriously: Bayonetta sucked hardcore.

I have no opinion on Vanquish simply because I don't classify in the same genre as the rest of these. It's more a Third Person Shooter than an action game.
It's only possible to feel this way if you don't value gameplay in action games. Which is a bizarre position, quite honestly.

Volcynika

Do you have to beat a chapter for your ranks to update? I'm jumping around and getting left hands and such, not really beating the entire chapter. Dumb question, just wanted to make sure.

MechaX

Unless there's some kind of forced stealth sequence at some point, I have fucked up each and every attempted stealth sequence with no repercussions.

Usually, I'll have the patience to stealth kill one enemy, and the others will almost always spot Raiden while he's cutting the shit out of their ally. And it usually ends with Kevin being like "Master of stealth, huh Raiden?" Fuck stealth.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Dodge is your friend. That's how I did it on Hard.

As in getting through the fist fight unscathed on hard? Because that's the only problem I had with hard mode. I could do phase 3 no problem taking no damage on hard, but getting through that fist fight was a nightmare since if he lands a blow on you ~2min into the 3min timer it forces a check point and triggers the cutscene so you'd have to restart the WHOLE chapter. I guess I'll give it another go because apparently I'm too much of a bitch to do the no damage run on very hard.

Well Well .
Got the game 2 hours ago ..
Played the prologue ..

i'm in love already ...

Who knew slicing a metal gear ray in half would feel so great ?

I hope the rest of the game is better than this.

gdt

This game is spectacular. Probably better than Bayonetta for me...I love the combat system/parry system.

Too bad the camera sucks unholy ass. Plus it looks awful but that doesn't affect the game too much.

Carbonox

For me Rising is the best action game of the generation. And I love Bayonetta to bits. Something about Rising sticks out more though.

Nemesis_

For me Rising is the best action game of the generation. And I love Bayonetta to bits. Something about Rising sticks out more though.

Rising doesn't have as much variety as Bayonetta does for me to think it tops it. It's also an entirely different beast compared to, say, Bayo or DMC. It's not really combo driven. I appreciate it so much more than it just being ANOTHER stylish action game.

I like how Bayonetta properly mixes all kinds of differently sized (and behaving) enemies as well as keeping a nice mix of humanoid and gigantic bosses too. The final boss fight in Bayonetta is also just so ridiculous that it's amazing.

I guess you've got those shitty mini games as well that many people look down on, but it's such a small amount of the game I can't really fault it.

EDIT: But I guess if Platinum had a proper development cycle they could have had a chance to shine.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Is there some kind of guide or something conveying the strengths of the different weapons?

Is the Murasama blade stronger than the normal HF blade at the same upgrade level? How much stronger?

And am I supposed to be abusing wigs to get through Very Hard or have many people managed to do it without "cheat" items? Basically I want to play it as intended, and if there is no apparent intent, I want to know what other people tended to do.

Sephzilla

I liked Bayonetta a lot but honestly I thought the bosses and enemy designs were both a bit lacking. I like Rising more as well, but maybe its just that Rising's style meshes with me more.

Honestly, I put Rising up in one of my top tiers of action games. It's right up there with Ninja Gaiden Black and Bayonetta. DMC3 is on a tier of its own though for me.

Is there some kind of guide or something conveying the strengths of the different weapons?

Is the Murasama blade stronger than the normal HF blade at the same upgrade level? How much stronger?

And am I supposed to be abusing wigs to get through Very Hard or have many people managed to do it without "cheat" items? Basically I want to play it as intended, and if there is no apparent intent, I want to know what other people tended to do.

I have no intention of using wigs to get through the harder difficulties - I just beat Very Hard. I may do a run on easy to get the collectibles (and max out health/fuel) before Revengeance though.

I may even try a Very Hard / Revengeance naked run after I have 100%d the game.

Bayonetta:
+lots of weapons, accessories, and moves to mess around with
+good scoring system
+wide variety of enemies and alfheim conditions
+good camera and responsive controls

-kilgore glitch was never patched
-pulley's butterfly makes no damage runs too easy
-too much button mashing/QTE
-vehicle sections seem out of place

MGR:
+great enemy and boss design
+back to basics test of timing, coordination, and reflexes
+several ways to approach a mission and get an S rank
+cutting things feels original and fresh

-game becomes too easy with full upgrades, fox blade, and wigs equipped
-limited amount of weapons and attacks
-no scoring system beyond S ranks, BP is not useful as a score metric
-camera is very zoomed in and tends to fight against the player in tight areas

Both good action combat games imo.

I think lots of glitches will be found in this game. Earlier I killed an entire group of harsh enemies on Very Hard by hitting the enemies through a wall with pincer blades (with ripper mode on so it one hit them pretty much).

Murasama Blade: Slightly more strength than the regular HF Blade and is 10% faster.

Stun Blade: Has a chance to stun targets with every hit, chance can be raised through upgrades.

Armor Breaker: Has a chance to instantly turn armored enemies to blue/vulnerable with every hit, chance can be raised through upgrades.

HF Long Sword: At max rank it is as strong as the Murasama but is 10% slower than the normal HF Blade.

HF Wooden Sword: Can't cut in Blade Mode; has a chance to KO human enemies with every hit.

HF Machete: Weak with very short range and is 10% faster than the normal HF Blade.

ViviOggi

I like how Bayonetta properly mixes all kinds of differently sized (and behaving) enemies as well as keeping a nice mix of humanoid and gigantic bosses too. The final boss fight in Bayonetta is also just so ridiculous that it's amazing.

For some reason I dropped Bayonetta shortly before the final boss, anyway I didn't particularly enjoy the giant stand-on-a-platform bosses, even though they had some variety to them. In my opinion these games really shine when you're fighting human-sized enemies without too many gimmicks and Revengeance mostly delivers in this regard.

Top Bottom