• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

McNum

What's the Stinger move from the demo called in the full version? Just noticed that forward, forward, Heavy does nothing, so I guess it's an upgrade. What is it and how much will it cost?

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Any other games in this genre worth playing besides the following:

DMCs
NGs
Bayonetta
Shinobi
Vanquish

What else is there?

Just bought this. I am beyond hyped. This is the first time I've bought a game on release day for full price in over a year, I'm normally very frugal. But I love Metal Gear and Platinum Games so wanted to show some love and support. The demo was incredible, the use of music at the end mind-blowing. I hope for many moments like that in the game. Should have pre-ordered, but eh! Bring it on! (Of course now I have to wait for it to download a 65mb update on the painfully slow PSN)

Carbonox

I think the final boss theme ("It Has To Be This Way") has become my favourite track on the soundtrack. It gets you so pumped.

YOU ARE JUST LIKE ME
TRYING TO MAKE HISTORY

BENEATH THE BLOOD STAINED SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAaaAaAaAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDD

I agree it's so fucking awesome.

Revven

BENEATH THE BLOOD STAINED SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAaaAaAaAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDD

I agree it's so fucking awesome.

Same here, I have this line stuck in my head.

"STANDING HEREEEE" always seemed to come up
when I was waiting for the boulder to be thrown at me
and then I'd die... :lol (That's why I remember the line so much).

deim0s

If God Hand is in... why not include Anarchy Reigns?

ng3dinjrkiz.gif

WHAT THE FUCK?!??

Might actually buy the re-release then.

Anyone notice Sam has an attack from the DMC games. I think its vergils from DMC3.

Sheaths muramasa then a arc cloud of slashes appear in front of him.

deim0s

Anyone notice Sam has an attack from the DMC games. I think its vergils from DMC3.

Sheaths muramasa then a arc cloud of slashes appear in front of him.

I don't know what is called but the move is not particularly exclusive to DMC - its in most movie/game japanese sword fights.

I'm probably a noob, but I'm playing on normal and combat rating B/C/D is my average so far. I feel mediocre.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. At this point, harder difficulties will be impossible for me. Maybe I'm just rubbish at games like this.

It's like when I encounter a gekko, I don't even know how to counter it. joystick + square doesn't seem to work for them.

At at the leg not the gecko. Once the parry/block mechanic clicks you will find yourself having much more fun.

Easiest way to score higher is just to remember two things.

Take Less Damage
More Zandatsu

ViviOggi

Just bought this. I am beyond hyped. This is the first time I've bought a game on release day for full price in over a year, I'm normally very frugal. But I love Metal Gear and Platinum Games so wanted to show some love and support. The demo was incredible, the use of music at the end mind-blowing.

I know right, after playing through the demo on a daily basis I paid 70€ for the European steelbook without comparing prices because I wanted to be sure that it got delivered early - I buy full price games maybe once a year. It was more than worth it.

Spoo

I can't get past the second fight on the first level on Reveangeance difficulty. I finished the game on Hard mode just fine, but this "you die in 1 hit" and "you must get perfect parry or you're fucked" seems a bit ridiculous even if you're hardcore into this kind of game.

Any other games in this genre worth playing besides the following:

DMCs
NGs
Bayonetta
Shinobi
Vanquish

What else is there?

God of War series for similar aggression only -tactics :D

Castlevania Lords of Shadow too, just play on Hard to get a challenge.

Dawg

Parry/no damage help a ton. Know what you can and cannot Zandetsu (spine pull). Learn enemy opening and how to bait them for easy parries (Hint: Drop kicks, charges, lunges are the easiest). Learn what sub weapons work best for particular situations (choppers and the giant tank mechs are weak to the Sai). Try to maintain a combo by slashing dead bodies to boost that score up.

At at the leg not the gecko. Once the parry/block mechanic clicks you will find yourself having much more fun.

Easiest way to score higher is just to remember two things.

Take Less Damage
More Zandatsu

Well, I figured taking no damage would help, but what about avoiding enemies? I just passed the first part with a gekco, but I simply killed every RPG guy in the second bit and then I could avoid the geckos. Will this give less score or better?

Another example is three guys in the beginning of the island when Raiden arrives there. I kill them without any problem, but my rating is still B. Should I just focus on holding L1 -> Zandatsu while not taking damage? It's not that easy since enemies tend to attack my back then and that will reduce the score as well :p And that's only on normal difficulty.

And I'm still not sure how to parry a gecko. The thing starts to run at me and I guess I have to press the joystick in his direction and square right when he's about to bash me? Them geckos also have a leg attack though, which I can't seem to parry.

branny

I always use it when LQ84-i and Mistral are jumping down from their perches.

It was also the last attack I used on Sam before the final QTE started.

Otherwise, I haven't touched it much.
Yeah, it's pretty circumstantial. I've only really used it in very specific situations.

Yesterday I screwed myself out of a No Damage bonus due to a mid-battle checkpoint (collectible left-arm auto-save), but I was determined to get a perfect sheet S-Rank in that battle because it was so far into an already flawless chapter. The checkpoint saved the time I already took, too, so I had to do the fight extra fast while also somehow getting the full Zandatsu bonus, but the energy absorption animation for every required enemy literally took longer than the time I had left to work with.

The only way I managed to succeed was to utilize Quick Draw like the Pincer Blades, holed up in a corner with four guys running at me in order to get a quadruple Zandatsu during a single blade mode. The Pincer Blades wouldn't have been able to do this. I also needed to use Mistral's staff for the combo bonus ASAP, so it all worked out after a million tries.

I imagine Quick Draw might be useful for some specialized HF blade stuff like stun or armor breaking assuming it takes on the properties of the blade. I've never tried using it during Ripper Mode, either, but I haven't really used Ripper Mode much at all.

noffles

Banned
How many of you guys did manual cutting through-out? I don't think I've done anything else during blade mode but use the right stick.

Was trying to save some cash this week but I finally cracked and bought this, should be here tomorrow...

The last couple days I haven't been able to stop playing the demo so I thought I should just buy it. I remember first playing it at Eurogamer Expo and absolutely hating it, mostly due to the parry system. Thinking back now, a 15 minute time limit demo with no tutorial is no way to learn the intricacies of the parry system, and it left a bad taste in my mouth. I've since been able to get some practice down with the demo and it's so satisfying when you pull off a perfect parry. So yeah, hope I'm going to enjoy it. Heard it's super short though...

ArchAngel

I think the final boss theme ("It Has To Be This Way") has become my favourite track on the soundtrack. It gets you so pumped.

YOU ARE JUST LIKE ME
TRYING TO MAKE HISTORY

Man I loved this track. Turned of any other sound effects at my second try. Awesome kick in at the battle :D

Dead

well not really...yet
"it has to be this way" ensured all hours I spend on that final boss were amazing. So fist pumpingly awesome! "It has to be this waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!"

Bedlam

Right before I started the game I instantly turned down the voice and sound effects a notch so I could hear every piece of the music.
I do that for almost every game that has a kickass soundtrack and I think it's practically mandatory for MGR. My audio settings are 5/5/10.

What sheathe attack?
Hold x, then let go. It's the attack that Sam used for cutting off Raiden's arm. I was listening to a codec conversation earlier which explained that Sam's sword uses an explosive device so it practically shoots out of the sheath.

How many of you guys did manual cutting through-out? I don't think I've done anything else during blade mode but use the right stick.

I do. I didn't even know that you could mash X or Y for horizontal and vertical slashes. I usually do adjustments with both the left and right analog.

Hystzen

I always used the stick no idea could use face buttons until late in game. could be why I had little issue with end boss and the cutting rocks

That is exactly how I feel right now. Definitely the hardest part of the game so far for me, which is appropriate

I tried him 10X already and just can't beat him...not even close. Im getting SNK final boss kinda ass whooping right now.

doesn't help that I only have 2 health cell left after the Metal Gear battle

EvB

I've always used manual cutting since the demo since the buttons seemed mostly pointless to me with it's lack of angles.

For general combat there is no real benefit to using manual cutting, it's a lot slower for a start, you can't rack up the combos like you can with the face buttons.

As soon as I realised this I gave up manual slicing except for going for left arms and when as a last ditch attempt when face buttons have missed the spine-squares.

Dead

well not really...yet
In the Prologue as you're fighting
Ray
, and the song suddenly goes "RULES OF NATURE!!!!!!!!"

Shit is just too badass for words.

Hystzen

I tried him 10X already and just can't beat him...not even close. Im getting SNK final boss kinda ass whooping right now.

doesn't help that I only have 2 health cell left after the Metal Gear battle

thats better then me first time i had no health paste

the boss gives you a chance he will start a throwing contest at 150% do it successfully you get 4 nano paste to heal with.

Mike Hagger becomes way more easier after

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Murasama Blade: Slightly more strength than the regular HF Blade and is 10% faster.

Stun Blade: Has a chance to stun targets with every hit, chance can be raised through upgrades.

Armor Breaker: Has a chance to instantly turn armored enemies to blue/vulnerable with every hit, chance can be raised through upgrades.

HF Long Sword: At max rank it is as strong as the Murasama but is 10% slower than the normal HF Blade.

HF Wooden Sword: Can't cut in Blade Mode; has a chance to KO human enemies with every hit.

HF Machete: Weak with very short range and is 10% faster than the normal HF Blade.

Thanks for this!

noffles

Banned
thats better then me first time i had no health paste

the boss gives you a chance he will start a throwing contest at 150% do it successfully you get 4 nano paste to heal with.

Mike Hagger becomes way more easier after

150-160%

I've repeated it to try and no damage him so many times now that I've memorised it.

Someone help me.

Top Bottom