• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Nemesis_

For some reason I dropped Bayonetta shortly before the final boss but I didn't particularly enjoy the giant stand-on-a-platform bosses, even though they had some variety to them. In my opinion these games really shine when you're fighting human-sized enemies without too many gimmicks and Revengeance mostly delivers in this regard.

I agree definitely, but I do like a mix if anything for variety.

I mean think about some of the most memorable battles in all of the past action games:

DMC - Nelo Angelo
DMC2 - fbedsuibfnw
DMC3 - Vergil
DMC4 - Credo
Bayonetta - Jeanne
DmC - Vergil Nothing
Ninja Gaiden - Alma
Does she count?

On a COMPLETELY random note - FUCK, we need another Viewitful Joe :(

Man, when the stars finally align and the gekko decides to open with a charge, and both the mastiffs do dropkicks, and the bladewolf kills one of the hammer guys with the kunai before letting you riposte him, and you finally beat VR mission 18, there's definitely a feeling of "well that wasn't all that hard". This mission being there definitely makes me think that New Game Revengeance Difficulty (or atleast one with no health or meter upgrades) is something the developers want people to try, because that's what this felt like.

And am I supposed to be abusing wigs to get through Very Hard or have many people managed to do it without "cheat" items? Basically I want to play it as intended, and if there is no apparent intent, I want to know what other people tended to do.

Very Hard is pretty manageable without any assistance from the game, so I'd say go without wigs. I think Platinum intends this game to make players feel powerful, like the state of the art cyborg that Raiden is, which is why the difficulty is so scalable. I don't believe wigs would make Very Hard any more enjoyable, but they are pretty important for keeping Revengeance difficulty or s-rank hunting less tedious for some players.

gryz

Banned
man this game is amazing, and my fiancee is probably going to make me buy naked raiden dlc if it ever comes out.

I think lots of glitches will be found in this game. Earlier I killed an entire group of harsh enemies on Very Hard by hitting the enemies through a wall with pincer blades (with ripper mode on so it one hit them pretty much).
It's possible, but I doubt there are serious doozies like the kilgore glitch or infinite lollipop glitch. Also PG might patch any MGR glitches this time around, unlike Bayo.

God damn man.
I just gotta say, this is the most fun I've had with a video game in a LONG time.

To me, it's cut from the same cloth as Asura's Wrath; Batshit insane in all the best ways.

Robot Pants

I agree definitely, but I do like a mix if anything for variety.

I mean think about some of the most memorable battles in all of the past action games:

DMC - Nelo Angelo
DMC2 - fbedsuibfnw
DMC3 - Vergil
DMC4 - Credo
Bayonetta - Jeanne
DmC - Vergil Nothing
Ninja Gaiden - Alma
Does she count?

On a COMPLETELY random note - FUCK, we need another Viewitful Joe :(

NG3- TREX

GenoZStriker

Neo Member
For me Rising is the best action game of the generation. And I love Bayonetta to bits. Something about Rising sticks out more though.
While I don't consider it the best this gen, it certainly is the best action adventure game to come out since Bayonetta. I liked that it felt new and definitely worthy of being put up there in the high echelon of action adventure games.

Carbonox

NG3- TREX

ng3dinjrkiz.gif

Crawl

anyone have any tips for direct/timed cutting objects on the last boss? I am on the PS3 controller wise, and i have am having hard time lining up the cuts on the multiple objects before they hit me in the face.

Roto13

anyone have any tips for direct/timed cutting objects on the last boss? I am on the PS3 controller wise, and i have am having hard time lining up the cuts on the multiple objects before they hit me in the face.

You don't need to hit all of the boxes.

Nemesis_

I can't imagine being able to accurately do it on the symmetrical stick setup. I guess you just have to persist and learn it. >_>

1. use both sticks to line up a cut
  2. you only need to hit 3 boxes, not all 4
  3. you can avoid it entirely by ninja running under the platform he's throwing from

Nemesis_

Every time I've tried this he pretty much just jumps back up there and repeats the attack again and again.

I think he is scripted to do that until his health falls below a certain amount. Completing the slicing successfully will take that amount away. If you were to then leave it instead, you would have to make up for that damage after he has landed.

In this situation, I guess the easiest thing to do would be to cancel the inevitable healing he will do, and then just slash like hell in Blade Mode while he's staggering.

dummydecoy

Two questions please, if anyone could please answer them.
1. Does one have to play the previous MGS games to understand the story? Or is it self-contained?

2. Is the ending a shitty cliffhanger? Or did Platinum wrap it up nicely?

Hystzen

1. Does one have to play the previous MGS games to understand the story? Or is it self-contained?

nope and nope

it closed up but offers a squeal

past MGS knowledge is used just for jokes and few references

For anyone have trouble slicing the debris: use both sticks to line up the slice, then claw your finger around to press the attack button -- awkward as hell, I know -- but doing that ensures that your aim doesn't change when you let go of the right stick.

Sephzilla

1- They make occasional references to previous games, primarily the Patriots from Metal Gear Solid 2/4. But the plot is fairly standalone otherwise and doesn't really require much previous Metal Gear knowledge, and the little things here and there you're missing can be fixed with a quick trip to Wikipedia.

2- Pretty well wrapped up story in this game. There's a post credits little scene that could be interpreted as a sequel hook, but its more or less an epilogue in my opinion.

Ein Bear

There's no cliffhanger, and the only background you really need to know is that Raiden used to be a child soldier and was kinda fucked up. Also in between MGS2 and 4 he got captured and turned into a cyborg.

Sky Chief

Murasama Blade: Slightly more strength than the regular HF Blade and is 10% faster.

Stun Blade: Has a chance to stun targets with every hit, chance can be raised through upgrades.

Armor Breaker: Has a chance to instantly turn armored enemies to blue/vulnerable with every hit, chance can be raised through upgrades.

HF Long Sword: At max rank it is as strong as the Murasama but is 10% slower than the normal HF Blade.

HF Wooden Sword: Can't cut in Blade Mode; has a chance to KO human enemies with every hit.

HF Machete: Weak with very short range and is 10% faster than the normal HF Blade.

What about the FOX Blade?

BY2K

Membero Americo
Started to play finally yesterday and I'm having a blast.

Am I supposed to get passed the 3-4 gorilla looking GUs in the sewers using the box? Cause I have a very hard time taking them all on at once.

Sykotik

My first play-through was a Hard run. I unlocked the Murasama, a Wig and a Body. I finished it again on easy and normal but didn't get any other sword unlocks, is something amiss?

ViviOggi

I don't see why anyone would want to run from
Armstrong's
debris since if you cut it you damage him and get repair pastes, if you're at maximum pastes the BP surely don't hurt either. After I figured out that you don't need to cut all four boxes I had no problems dealing with that move whatsoever.

McNum

And that's chapters R-04, R-05, and R-06 down today. On Normal.

Boss fight spoilers.

R-04:
Mistral's spare body was easy enough, but Monsoon's packed a punch. Was trying to nail him with his own weapon, just for sport, probably should have taken it more seriously. Still, it's a repeat boss rush, it's classic.

Sundowner on the other hand was... kind of easy. I cut away his shields after figuring out where to cut it and then he just turned into a super-fast maniac with giant scissors. Parry, dodge, counter, slash... QTE already? Holy shit I'm on a glider! Indoors! ROOF! *cutcutcutcut* QTE and boom. done. So, so awesome. Also, that fight has so many nanopaste drop opportunities if you remember back to R-01 for a moment. "Hammerhead missiles are made from nanopaste." Piñata!

R-05:
Not really a boss, but. "Hey look, a VR mission and some melons! ... I don't suppose we can talk this out? No? Uh-oh..." Stupid Mastiff ambush. was low on fuel, too, so I couldn't use Ripper until I landed some hits...

R-06:
Sam. That turned into a slugging match, I really need to get better at that fight. That jump attack in the last phase messed Raiden up so, so much. Can you parry that or is it better to doge? If so, what's the timing for that? I used the HF-Blade only, of course. How could you not?

So, next time it's time for R-07, and if the trophy list is anything to go by, it's the finale. Got any last minute tips? Running in with 160% life and fuel, and an HF-Blade at 5 power, 3 absorb, 3 blade mode time, and 3 spare nanopastes. Could really use some more nanopaste pickups, I think...

Bayonetta:
+lots of weapons, accessories, and moves to mess around with
+good scoring system
+wide variety of enemies and alfheim conditions
+good camera and responsive controls

-kilgore glitch was never patched
-pulley's butterfly makes no damage runs too easy
-too much button mashing/QTE
-vehicle sections seem out of place

MGR:
+great enemy and boss design
+back to basics test of timing, coordination, and reflexes
+several ways to approach a mission and get an S rank
+cutting things feels original and fresh

-game becomes too easy with full upgrades, fox blade, and wigs equipped
-limited amount of weapons and attacks
-no scoring system beyond S ranks, BP is not useful as a score metric
-camera is very zoomed in and tends to fight against the player in tight areas

Both good action combat games imo.

you can add this to the MGR list too :D
-too much button mashing/QTE

the boss fight QTE's are really annoying trial&error ones.

For me Rising is the best action game of the generation. And I love Bayonetta to bits. Something about Rising sticks out more though.

The aesthetic difference is huge. Bayonetta is a sexy, oddly-proportioned dominatrix witch who uses her demonic hair to kill angels while jazzy pop music plays. It's a fantastic world for a game, definitely unique, and one of my favorites. But Raiden is a cyborg ninja who cuts other cyborgs to pieces and harvests their spines for energy. All while metal and rock plays. There's a lot less color - a lot fewer lollipops and butterflies, so for some it will seem relatively dull, but it definitely appeals more to me.

Raxus

My first play-through was a Hard run. I unlocked the Murasama, a Wig and a Body. I finished it again on easy and normal but didn't get any other sword unlocks, is something amiss?

Most unlocks come from getting all the collectibles:

-You get the earn all 3 wigs by collecting all 30 arms and finishing the game on hard or higher. Getting all 30 also gets you the Armor Breaker sword
-MiB (Men in Boxes) give you the Wooden Sword
-Data Storage Units unlock the Machete and Stun Blade (10 and 20 respectively)

NotLiquid

I can forgive most of Rising's QTE's since unlike Bayonetta I actually expected a good deal of them and they didn't have stupid death punishing reaction times.

Sykotik

Most unlocks come from getting all the collectibles:

-You get the earn all 3 wigs by collecting all 30 arms and finishing the game on hard or higher. Getting all 30 also gets you the Armor Breaker sword
-MiB (Men in Boxes) give you the Wooden Sword
-Data Storage Units unlock the Machete and Stun Blade (10 and 20 respectively)

Ah. Thanks for the explanation.

NotLiquid

Wow, Sundowner was such a downer.

Some thugs are stronger than him.

Square + X takes him easy.

Defensive Offensive is such a crazy move, I used it once and didn't think much of it because of the distance he dodges - didn't realize that you're completely immune when using it. Crazy.

Also Sundowner is such an oddity. It took me ages to figure out the "trick" because those arms holding the panels are pretty cleverly concealed. I like the idea of a boss where you need to actively look for his "weak spot" in order to succeed and it required some thinking on my part, but after he turns to his second phase he's such a pushover. I get that it should be easier because of me figuring out his weak spot but not that easy.

Monsoon, Sundowner and Ray. I think Senator, Mistral, Sam(?) may have one as well but I didn't fail those either.

I believe those happen once, at the end, during every bossfight.

didn't those all come after a couple mash QTEs? the game sets you up for those final QTEs if they were indeed instadeath; comparatively bayonetta's were right out of cutscenes where i'd often not be holding the controller

I think the final boss theme ("It Has To Be This Way") has become my favourite track on the soundtrack. It gets you so pumped.

YOU ARE JUST LIKE ME
TRYING TO MAKE HISTORY

Raxus

didn't those all come after a couple mash QTEs? the game sets you up for those final QTEs if they were indeed instadeath; comparatively bayonetta's were right out of cutscenes where i'd often not be holding the controller

Nope. They mostly have good leeway though. I can understand your frustration though. I love Bayonetta and other action games to death but instadeath QTE's really plague their market. Hopefully Platinum gets the memo to stop putting them in their games.

Dawg

I'm probably a noob, but I'm playing on normal and combat rating B/C/D is my average so far. I feel mediocre.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. At this point, harder difficulties will be impossible for me. Maybe I'm just rubbish at games like this.

It's like when I encounter a gekko, I don't even know how to counter it. joystick + square doesn't seem to work for them.

NotLiquid

I think the final boss theme ("It Has To Be This Way") has become my favourite track on the soundtrack. It gets you so pumped.

YOU ARE JUST LIKE ME
TRYING TO MAKE HISTORY

Right before I started the game I instantly turned down the voice and sound effects a notch so I could hear every piece of the music. I already thought the soundtrack was amazing but when I reached that moment, it sealed itself as timeless fucking perfection.

I actually showed my friend Mistral's theme and he said he almost wanted to buy the game exclusively because of the music. Would want to see his face when he gets to the final boss.

Nope. They mostly have good leeway though. I can understand your frustration though. I love Bayonetta and other action games to death but instadeath QTE's really plague their market. Hopefully Platinum gets the memo to stop putting them in their games.

If I had to choose something to dislike about Bayonetta, QTEs top the list. Especially since those mean you can't just skip the scene on replays.

Raxus

I'm probably a noob, but I'm playing on normal and combat rating B/C/D is my average so far. I feel mediocre.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. At this point, harder difficulties will be impossible for me. Maybe I'm just rubbish at games like this.

It's like when I encounter a gekko, I don't even know how to counter it. joystick + square doesn't seem to work for them.

Parry/no damage help a ton. Know what you can and cannot Zandetsu (spine pull). Learn enemy opening and how to bait them for easy parries (Hint: Drop kicks, charges, lunges are the easiest). Learn what sub weapons work best for particular situations (choppers and the giant tank mechs are weak to the Sai). Try to maintain a combo by slashing dead bodies to boost that score up.

Top Bottom