• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

150-160%

I've repeated it to try and no damage him so many times now that I've memorised it.

Someone help me.

Just remember to run under the junk, fuck blade mode

also, forward-forward launcher is your friend. Does SO much damage, so quickly.

Oh, and dodge. Dodge two times from his charged AoE attack, dodge left or right twice to avoid tackle, dodge left or right from back swipes, etc. Dodge, dodge, DODGE

For general combat there is no real benefit to using manual cutting, it's a lot slower for a start, you can't rack up the combos like you can with the face buttons.

As soon as I realised this I gave up manual slicing except for going for left arms and when as a last ditch attempt when face buttons have missed the spine-squares.

Nope. Try rapidly flicking the slicing stick back and forth, then compare that to hitting the face buttons as fast as you can. Using the stick gives you more slashes per second than face buttons.

Also, when slashing right after going into blade mode, the first slash is always horizontal, even if you hit the vertical button, which can screw up certain cuts. If you use the stick, you can cut in any direction immediately upon entering blade mode.

It takes getting used to, but it's worth it.

Just remember to run under the junk, fuck blade mode

also, forward-forward launcher is your friend. Does SO much damage, so quickly.

Oh, and dodge. Dodge two times from his charged AoE attack, dodge left or right twice to avoid tackle, dodge left or right from back swipes, etc. Dodge, dodge, DODGE

Yeah, dodging is a lifesaver. I managed to beat him starting with no nanopastes just be relying on dodging.

But using the stick slice the blocks is what got me through that second phase. Just make sure you upgrade fuel cells so you have as much time in blade mode as possible. A few times I'd slice the blocks, but then run out as he lunges.

Sephzilla

Y'know, this game is just all about why I love video games.

You start the game out by maiming a Metal Gear Ray in half. Then you fight Lady Doctor Octopus, sentient magnetized hams who use Raphael's sais, the biggest pair of scissors ever, a robot samurai with a gun-sheath, suplex the giant metal spider from Wild Wild West, and then end the game by beating the crap out of Mike Haggar

VIDEO GAMES, SON

dan2026

I'm beginning to think that fighting three Mastiffs on very hard is basically impossible.
Or at least 95% luck based.

Two is kinda manageable but three will drop kick/stun/grapple your ass from off camera and there is nothing you can do about it.

Defunkled

VR Mission 18 truly brings out this games flaws. The camera is not fast enough and it freaks out when near a wall. Weapon switching takes far too long. Couldn't Platinum have crafted a sincere challenge for this mission instead of just ramping up the enemy damage, which just comes off as cheap and lazy. Just this and Mission 19 and I'm done with these stupid VR Missions.

Buntabox

You start the game out by maiming a Metal Gear Ray in half. Then you fight Lady Doctor Octopus, sentient magnetized hams who use Raphael's sais, the biggest pair of scissors ever, a robot samurai with a gun-sheath, suplex the giant metal spider from Wild Wild West, and then end the game by beating the crap out of Mike Haggar

VIDEO GAMES, SON

Forget "cut what you will," that should have been on the back of the box.

OmegaZero

Anywhere I can buy the full soundtrack legit? I wish company's would just put it on iTunes or some shit.

I don't know about the full soundtrack, but you can buy the Vocal Tracks (which also includes instrumental versions) at Amazon.

EDIT: wow, I am late.

NIN90

That last boss fight was certainly something.
Got his patterns down that far that I could beat his first phase without taking any damage.
But I sucked badly after the debris part so I said "Fuck it" and equipped rations (something I avoided for the entire game
101 continues overall._.
).
So I'd say he's actually pretty easy if you are atleast somewhat competent at dodging.

abrack08

I've always used manual cutting since the demo since the buttons seemed mostly pointless to me with it's lack of angles.

Do people realize you can aim when you press the buttons? If you need to just chop shit quickly, for me, it's faster to mash [] or Triangle than with the stick. Then if you need to chop precisely, you aim with the stick, then the next button press will cut exactly where you aimed. So, in my experience, the buttons were better both for speed and accuracy... separately. Only time it hurt was when you needed to be Fast AND Accurate during the Final Boss, but I still did it with buttons and couldn't with the stick.

Hypron

Dat feel when you S-rank every encounter in a level but somehow miss one and get an A. :(

What? That means you need to get S to every single encounter to get an S ranking for the mission? Damn, getting the lightning god achievement will be even harder than expected.

What? That means you need to get S to every single encounter to get an S ranking for the mission? Damn, getting the lightning god achievement will be even harder than expected.

Yeah, I got an S rank for every encounter in R-001 except for one missed encounter, and it bumped me down to an A. Bastards. I have no idea what I missed.

Neiteio

VIDEO GAMES, SON
This is a fantastic summary!

anddo0

I'm fighting the final boss right now. I have to say this is the cheesiest piece of shit I've fought in quite some time.. This entire sequence is everything I hate about gaming these days. I'll find a way to beat it though. And then I'm done. :/

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm fighting the final boss right now. I have to say this is the cheesiest piece of shit I've fought in quite some time.. This entire sequence is everything I hate about gaming these days. I'll find a way to beat it though. And then I'm done. :/

iJoIq6CBANmIs.gif

There's the chopper one, and I did that. The only thing I can think of is I fucked up the bit where you have to slice off the soldier's arm for the door.

edit: Oh, thanks JC, they don't mention shit about that.

There's an amount of encounters they'll never inform you about, you pretty much just need to backtrack to see if there is one or not.

No one says the final boss is pretty good or kind of a let down. It's either the best thing ever or a pile of shit.

I totally said in my first post after beating the game that I found the boss to be "pretty good". Exact words! I enjoyed the challenge but have issues with the actual context of the fight- although I can still appreciate its ridiculousness on some level (mainly the stupid one-liners).

MattyH

Do the rankings stack by this i mean say you do a chapter and get SSSSA and go back to do it again but get AAAAS will it forget the A ranks and add the S rank to the previous ranks

branny

Yeah, there are a couple encounters that are particularly easy to miss, especially since you don't get notified for all of them. Ninja Killing your way through some areas results in the loss of a couple ranked battles, too.

There are also a few sleazy Data Chip locations I never would've figured out on my own (like the ones you have to cut off of a Slider or find in the prologue).

Guess Who

Banned
I totally said in my first post after beating the game that I found the boss to be "pretty good". Exact words! I enjoyed the challenge but have issues with the actual context of the fight- although I can still appreciate its ridiculousness on some level (mainly the stupid one-liners).

"No one" was a bit hyperbolic, I guess, but the broader point is I'm hard-pressed to think of a more polarizing finale to a game.

branny

That R-06 battle. That atmosphere. HNNG.
The music in this game is so good.

It's my fault for purchasing this title. I didn't buy Vanquish because the game felt lacking to me after playing the demo. I'm currently toying around with it, and I have to say it's a very overrated and shallow game. While fun, I don't see the hype.
It's funny that you mention Vanquish in your post because its final boss actually has to be killed with an insta-death QTE that comes out of nowhere, lol.

anddo0

http://i.minus.com/iJoIq6CBANmIs.gif[/QUOTE]

Keep in my I have no rations. I have no intent of re-playing this section. It's now, or get traded in. I don't think a final boss should come down to [spoiler]QTEs. Miss it and game over, really?[/spoiler] I play hard games. I hate to sound like a douche. But I've beaten the Souls games, DMC on the hardest levels etc.. And every boss until this point has been somewhat easy.

It's my fault for purchasing this title. I didn't buy Vanquish because the game felt lacking to me after playing the demo. I'm currently toying around with it, and I have to say it's a very overrated and shallow game. While fun, I don't see the hype.

Maybe it's just rage speaking. But this is pure bull shit.

Raxus

Yeah, there are a couple encounters that are particularly easy to miss, especially since you don't get notified for all of them. Ninja Killing your way through some areas results in the loss of a couple ranked battles, too.

There are also a few sleazy Data Chip locations I never would've figured out on my own (like the ones you have to cut off of a Slider or find in the prologue).

There are tons of tricky storage units you need to read to find out. There is an arm on R-04 that you need to stealth to get. The Human Gecko in R-05 requires stealth too. Human Geckos are the worst since you have to get them all in one sitting.

Sephzilla

Keep in my I have no rations. I have no intent of re-playing this section. It's now, or get traded in. I don't think a final boss should come down to
QTEs. Miss it and game over, really?
I play hard games. I hate to sound like a douche. But I've beaten the Souls games, DMC on the hardest levels etc.. And every boss until this point has been somewhat easy.

Maybe it's just rage speaking. But this is pure bull shit.

It's the rage speaking.

After you beat the game, replay it again with all of your now gained knowledge and experience. Any parts that gave you even remote amounts of trouble will quickly turn into brutal cyborg slaughters.

The final boss is agitating but honestly he's pretty fair. He just punishes you severely for messing up. Honestly, I like that about the final boss fight. The game I played right before MGR was the (disappointingly) easy DmC - so I welcomed a good kick in the teeth.

Sephzilla

No because in Prologue all your upgrades dont exist its Raidens old body it amazing how shit Raiden is during the prologue

Yeah, I actually don't like that you're back to square one for the prologue even in New Game Plus mode. On top of that I don't like that my customizations dont carry over to VR missions.

lucius

Finally got my copy in the mail took advantage of that Fry's $10 off online, the bottom of the case is broken in pieces, at least the game works. I know it is only the case, but still that will be the first and last time I order anything from them again, never had a game/dvd/bluray from amazon come like this.

demidar

It's the rage speaking.

After you beat the game, replay it again with all of your now gained knowledge and experience. Any parts that gave you even remote amounts of trouble will quickly turn into brutal cyborg slaughters.

The final boss is agitating but honestly he's pretty fair. He just punishes you severely for messing up. Honestly, I like that about the final boss fight. The game I played right before MGR was the (disappointingly) easy DmC - so I welcomed a good kick in the teeth.

I don't think any amount of rage is gonna stop someone from not seeing depth in Vanquish. But yes, take a walk.

Hystzen

It's the rage speaking.

The bosses only annoyance is I cant work out the frames for that Area explosion attack or his grab. Sometimes I dodge the running grab easy other times i still get grabbed, still have no idea how dodge that area explosion when im mid combo.

Sephzilla

The bosses only annoyance is I cant work out the frames for that Area explosion attack or his grab. Sometimes I dodge the running grab easy other times i still get grabbed, still have no idea how dodge that area explosion when im mid combo.

Right before he does his explosion I just do a quick dodge and I'm okay.

Viewtify

Banned
Am I allowed to get hit on R03 right before you fight
Monsoon
? Will I still get the no damage bonus at the end of the level? It seems impossible to last until the cut scene plays out.

jett

D-Member
Am I allowed to get hit on R03 right before you fight
Monsoon
? Will I still get the no damage bonus at the end of the level? It seems impossible to last until the cut scene plays out.

The no damage bonus only applies to actual boss fights.

Ferr986

Damn, I lost it! In my first playthrough I fare well getting Zandatsus with manual Blade mode. But I got lazy in my second go and started to use auto (buttons). Now I completely suck at manual Blade mode! :(

Nope. Try rapidly flicking the slicing stick back and forth, then compare that to hitting the face buttons as fast as you can. Using the stick gives you more slashes per second than face buttons.

Also, when slashing right after going into blade mode, the first slash is always horizontal, even if you hit the vertical button, which can screw up certain cuts. If you use the stick, you can cut in any direction immediately upon entering blade mode.
It takes getting used to, but it's worth it.

Yeah, dodging is a lifesaver. I managed to beat him starting with no nanopastes just be relying on dodging.

But using the stick slice the blocks is what got me through that second phase. Just make sure you upgrade fuel cells so you have as much time in blade mode as possible. A few times I'd slice the blocks, but then run out as he lunges.

do you tap press the buttons like an old man? I can't see how that's possible. >__<

Top Bottom