• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Hystzen

I'm still missing 1 fight on first chapter, I done the one near bridge where fight first hammerhead and the other one which pops up on the map

So, Metal Gear Rising: Revengance. Finished the story last night, but nowhere near close to being done with this game. The sub-header might as well be "THIS FUCKING GAME". The cyborg ninja game I've always wanted, made into something better than I could've dreamed.

Gameplay impression for Normal is I'm glad I started on Normal; a challenge, but not taxing. Really happy to hear harder difficulties will have things I haven't seen yet, hopefully. Camera does need work, but it's not a huge complaint for me (could be, but it's not). Raiden moves so fast, so smooth, so badass; pure Lightning Bolt Action. Favorite weapon combo so far is the HF Blade/L'Etranger. Dystopia and Bloodlust aren't as great with the minimum abilities, but they still get great quirks to them to make them useful almost everywhere in the game. I love how EVERY enemy can be a threat, and every enemy can be a savior with Zandatsu. Parrying and dodging haven't felt this good since NG, or a few fighting games that use them. I can't remember Boss Battles being this good. Can't be said enough how much syncing the music to the boss increases the engery so high, and the payoff to beating them is so satisfying.

I'm satisfied as an MG fan; they certainly kept it in the vein of a bit of the lore. Enough codecs and characters for an average MG game, but short of twists. I can see how some people were shocked by the final boss and the ridiculousness of it, but then again, this is the same universe that had
Volgin
and nanomachines
("NANOMACHINES SON")
. First thing I thought when I saw his final form was
"...Wesker?"
It's always a little unnerving to me when the final bad guy always declares
his/her successor is carried on in the protagonist. Though in Metal Gear, it's always just clashing beliefs.

Also, don't get the argument of those who say this game was character assassination for Raiden. Maybe I need to go back and play MGS2 and 4 again, but I don't see what's incomprehensible about how he acted in Rising, or the Jack the Ripper persona.

One of the biggest surprises for the game for me was the f-bombs. Like what DmC did, but different. Better imo. At least it sounded more adult-like, and the swearing was versatile and more subtle.

Overall, satisfying side-story. Favorite characters, Raiden, Sam, LQ84-i/Bladewolf, Doktor, and
ibyJgo6AIGsa7e.gif
. Characters who should've made it but didn't -
Sam and Mistral
. Sections that should've been longer -
the Japanese garden
, without question. Favorite themes: out of a whole CD of excellent ones, Rules of Nature and Stranger I Remain just really do it for me.

Now onto the REAL joy of the game: Replays!

Didn't mean write this much, but yeah, I love this game.

tl;dr

Dear Platinum and KP
MFx4V.jpg

Signed,
pleased fan awaiting Rising 2

branny

I'm blazing through Easy right now to get all the collectibles that were messing up my other playthroughs, and it's really, really boring to play MGR so mindlessly.

I wasn't sure about a rigid, Mega Man Zero-esque scoring system after playing the demo, but playing on Easy makes things pretty clear to me: MGR's mechanics exist in tandem with that kind of scoring, where your goal is to tick every box while still being as ruthlessly efficient as possible. It's weird that I can appreciate this coming from other favorites like DMC and Bayo which do the opposite by emphasizing flashiness and creativity with gigantic movelists and combo potential.

It's also more fun to have enemies who put up a fight, so there's that, too.

I was planning to do Codec stuff on Easy, but now I just want to S-Rank it and be done with that difficulty forever. =\

jett

D-Member
I'm still missing 1 fight on first chapter, I done the one near bridge where fight first hammerhead and the other one which pops up on the map

After you get the left arm to open up the door, return to the area near the broken bridge, a hidden fight will show up.

I didn't use any of those when I did it.

I've done it on hard, but on Revengeance I got killed pretty quickly.

dan2026

Well I think I'm stuck on Very Hard.

In the Japanese garden and it forces you into a fight with two Mastiffs and a sword guy.

How on earth are you supposed to fight all three of them at once.
The camera just doesn't allow it.

ezekial45

Banned

In the Japanese garden and it forces you into a fight with two Mastiffs and a sword guy.

Ripper mode and the pole arm.

SkylineRKR

I hope Platinum gets to work on Rising 2, and then with more time to waste. As good and fun as this game is, it feels unfinished to me. Its obviously because of the tight schedule the team had.

For a Rising 2 I would see a bigger role/ more in game use for the Blade Wolf. Better camera, more interaction ie. wallruns and jumps. Level design akin to Ninja Gaiden Black instead of a string of bouts within invisible walls. More expansive move set or different styles...

Hystzen

Man copying your save file to another slot then starting a new game on Very Hard or Revengeance without any your upgrades is great

jett

D-Member

Ripper mode, son.

I did it on Revengeance. It only took me a couple tries to find a good route.

Well, personally since I unlocked the damn wig I'd rather use that in that bullshit part. :p

branny

For a Rising 2 I would see a bigger role/ more in game use for the Blade Wolf. Better camera, more interaction ie. wallruns and jumps. Level design akin to Ninja Gaiden Black instead of a string of bouts within invisible walls. More expansive move set or different styles...
I'd be okay if every modern character action game did this. NG1's world design/exploration and environmental interactivity (in terms of combat and traversal) is still unmatched in the genre, and Raiden could certainly use some more tricks up his arsenal.

More Wolfie is always good, too. D:

Hystzen

You know you can just use the Konami Code to unlock all of the difficulties right?

Yeah but my save slot already has difficulties unlocked so might well just copy save over to a new slot

It keeps all your collectibles though just removes your weapons, upgrades and bodies

dan2026

Ugh got past it, pole arm helped.

But this camera is really screwing me on the harder difficulties.

I don't know if its too zoomed in or what, but multiple fast enemies are a lot more difficult to handle than they should be.

branny

I don't know if its too zoomed in or what, but multiple fast enemies are a lot more difficult to handle than they should be.
When stuff gets hectic, I just try to parry everything like a madman and remind myself that I have items like EMPs that might help out. "Multiple fast enemies" sounds like it should be annoying, though, haha.

And that feel of performing 3-4 Zandatsu's at once is one of the best feelings I had this gen.
Do we know if five+ is possible? I'm curious because four has been the max for me, too.

Endo Punk

If this game is P* with a short dev time then a sequel with enough dev time is going to be something truly special. Not since Ninja Gaiden have I played a blade action game that felt this fresh, it seriously is a path breaker.

Making my way through the game for a second time trying to get all left hands, key cards and VR missions. And that feel of performing 3-4 Zandatsu's at once is one of the best feelings I had this gen. Upcoming games have top step up because this may well be my GOTY. But TLOU may make it Games of The Year lol.

Endo Punk

Speaking of Blade Wolf I hope the DLC featuring him has he new upgrade design, looks so damn bad ass!

Hystzen

Speaking of Blade Wolf I hope the DLC featuring him has he new upgrade design, looks so damn bad ass!

I say its a prequel like what looks like the Sam DLC is (he doesn't have the red arm) and either takes place alongside Sam or its the part where Wolf "scouts" ahead

NIN90

The bosses only annoyance is I cant work out the frames for that Area explosion attack or his grab. Sometimes I dodge the running grab easy other times i still get grabbed, still have no idea how dodge that area explosion when im mid combo.

Do a backwards dodge twice. You'll be out of his AOE by the end of the second dodge.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.

Use Stealth kills

Can I use the Triangle and Square buttons instead of the analog stick??
I just can't get this cut to work.

How are you cutting? Are you flicking the analog stick or are you aiming it and then letting it go back to the center on its own? Because the latter is what you should be doing.

anddo0

How are you cutting? Are you flicking the analog stick or are you aiming it and then letting it go back to the center on its own? Because the latter is what you should be doing.

flicking. I'll try centering.

I can get the first cut but I can never connect on the second.

Revven

When you want to stealth a section that isn't exactly set up for it, you can actually be pretty creative.

In the sewers, after you get the box for example. Instead of using the box like they intended for you to do to take out the three mastiffs, I actually cut the platforms so the two mastiffs would fall to the bottom floor so I could jump above them and stealth kill them that way. It was really cool and satisfying; shame nothing else is set up in a similar fashion later in the game. Also felt super intense to try and do it right without getting caught on Hard.

That part was also brutal on Hard if you fucked up. :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah, since the game is "selling well" and Kojima wants Platinum back for "round two" I hope they work together to have an action game/stealth game sandbox hybrid. Able to stealth the game a la old-school Metal Gear if you want but if you fuck up it's Ninja Raiden time.

Just fix the camera (if possible) add a block button (because Parry is pretty hit and miss, IMO), and do that and we're golden.

Hystzen

Yeah, since the game is "selling well" and Kojima wants Platinum back for "round two" I hope they work together to have an action game/stealth game sandbox hybrid. Able to stealth the game a la old-school Metal Gear if you want but if you fuck up it's Ninja Raiden time.

The issue with game when it failed according to Kojima was due to the fact MGS style stealth does not work with a action game. The Stealth is fine at moment just make areas more open and give us extra routes around the area. Sandbox meh I don't think every game should be a sandbox just open up levels a bit

Endo Punk

Hikari chan you are so Kawaiiiiiiii

The cutscenes are stupid. stylish, frantic, crazy and utterly magnificent. Especially with the final boss.

gryz

Banned
so apparently the voice of Raiden is gonna be at the Seattle Comic Con this weekend. whats the best raiden quote i should try to get him to say?

NotLiquid

I sort of miss the enemy viewpoint thing from the Soliton Radar, stealth can be a bit of a drag in this game. The only time I pretty much felt like I had to was in the final chapter because the amount of shit there was ridiculous.

I kept trying to get passed the area in Chapter 3 when Doktor asks you to get the Dwarf Gekko. I can never get passed that big room with the three soldiers in it. Having to deal with Kev's constant belittling of my stealth abilities made me feel like a shit.

Raxus

so apparently the voice of Raiden is gonna be at the Seattle Comic Con this weekend. whats the best raiden quote i should try to get him to say?

"Nanomachines son!"

or "Wanna know why they call me Jack the Ripper? Let 'er RIP!"

anddo0

Giving up on the final boss for now. I can't stand this part of the game. It's put a sour taste in my mouth, I thought the game was average at best to begin with. It had it's moments, but mediocre overall. I think it's time to evaluate if this type of game is for me. I like action games (getting NGS2+ on Vita tomorrow). But maybe the over the top ones aren't for me.

Top Bottom