• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Only 2 1/3 hours in. Top ten game of this gen already. WOW, once you get Dodge/parry move the game becomes DMC 3 on steroids. Thank you Platinum for giving old ass bastards like myself the kind of game I thought this gen would be all about.

Haha, Gekkos are some shit in VR, seems like pure luck whether you take them out in a couple seconds or take a whole minute on one. Perfect parries end up being pointless on some attacks when they just jump out of the way.

They can't jump out of the way against a perfect air parry, but will fly back from just a standard air block. Seems to work better than running away and waiting for them to charge. Jump and parry against all the standard attacks, dodge the stomp to get that O action, and don't hit them because it just wastes time if they start puking green. The only risk of standing near them is that step kick which is way faster than the rest of the moves.

And Pincer blades are probably the most effective sub weapon against anything that isn't flying or a GRAD. You can cancel the charging into not just a dodge but a parry as well, I believe, like this guy does here.

Astral

Is there a way to completely avoid Monsoon's Sai attack where he extends his arm all the way out at you? It's so small and fast. I suck at blocking it.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a date or time frame for the dlc yet? Also, is everything released in one go/one piece or are they staggering it?

Defunkled

In terms of pure damage output, what do you guys think is the better sword: a fully maxed out Murasama Blade or a fully maxed out Fox Blade?

RangerBAD

Is there a way to completely avoid Monsoon's Sai attack where he extends his arm all the way out at you? It's so small and fast. I suck at blocking it.

When he drops down from throwing shit at you, stun-lock him with sai, go into Blade Mode and cut where indicated.

In terms of pure damage output, what do you guys think is the better sword: a filly maxed out Murasama Blade or a fully maxed out Fox Blade?

Muramasa. More DPS will help you sleep better at night, plus it turns your sheath attack into Sam's flame burst which is way too cool.

Astral

When he drops down from throwing shit at you, stun-lock him with sai, go into Blade Mode and cut where indicated.

I mean once the second phase of the fight starts, when the vocals of the song hit. He extends his arm all the way at you and attacks you with his sai. Then he sends his legs which are a lot easier to block.

Lunar15

I will literally have to go back and get health packs for the final form of this boss.

Also, the writing of this game totally went to shit. Not that Metal Gear games have ever been bastions of excellent political writing, but this is just batshit insane.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I will literally have to go back and get health packs for the final form of this boss.

Also, the writing of this game totally went to shit. Not that Metal Gear games have ever been bastions of excellent political writing, but this is just batshit insane.

You can get health during the fight.

Whenever he throws the junk at you, cut it. Nano paste will fall for each one you cut after that segment is done.

Hypron

That fight at the entrance of the japanese garden in chapter 5 is even worse than the final boss ffs. I've been stuck on it for an hour or so.

RangerBAD

That fight at the entrance of the japanese garden in chapter 5 is even worse than the final boss ffs. I've been stuck on it for an hour or so.

Quick throw RP Grenades (quickly tap L2 with them equip). They'll go off instantly if it hits them. Then just Zandatsu the normal guys. Maybe use a EMP grenade on the heavy swordsman.

Hypron

Quick throw RP Grenades (quickly tap L2 with them equip). They'll go off instantly if it hits them. Then just Zandatsu the normal guys. Maybe use a EMP grenade on the heavy swordsman.

I'm stuck on the last part of the fight with the 2 mastifs :(. I can do the rest just fine. Can you stun mastifs?

He probably means on Revengeance difficulty, where it spawns mastiffs in the second wave along with the swordsman.

Pincers are probably the solution

anddo0

If you are talking about the
the MG parts he throws you can run and slide under them

Right after you get the sword from Wolf.. You lower Armstrong's health about half way. He jumps on top of the rubble and throws a brick wall at you.
Is that the part you mean?

I can get the first cut, but the second cut never seems to land.

Right after you get the sword from Wolf.. You lower Armstrong's health about half way. He jumps on top of the rubble and throws a brick wall at you.
Is that the part you mean?

I can get the first cut, but the second cut never seems to land.
Yup but if you
want health packs you cut all 3 though...

TP

Just beat Monsoon twice with the no damage bonus and didn't get the trophy =\

Also, charged bloodlust scissor cut with ripper mode one shots everything excepts bosses on Revengeance. It has hilarious range and armor and it leaves enemies blue so you can zandatsu and refill your bar.

Revven

Man, the Sai is really good on Mastiffs if you upgrade it enough. Too bad you have to sacrifice comboability =\

Oh it's also nice for Sliders; what a pain in the ass those things can be.

Though I guess combos aren't necessarily the end all be all of this game. Other than feeling OH SO SATISFYING when you pull off something flashy.

I normally get bothered by excessive swearing in games, but the constant F-bombs and other profanity being yelled at me by certain bosses feels like the epitome of badass. Overall I LOVE the translation of this game. It's just so full of life. I didn't bother with most of the optional codecs on my first time through, so it's gonna be a lot of fun listening to them on later playthroughs.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
And Pincer blades are probably the most effective sub weapon against anything that isn't flying or a GRAD. You can cancel the charging into not just a dodge but a parry as well, I believe, like this guy does here.

Holy shit, that tech. I'll never be that good with those blades.

Revven

Holy shit, that tech. I'll never be that good with those blades.

Pincer Blades are so satisfying to use once you know the timing of the SA frames. They've also helped me get left hands, too! I wonder how good they'll be in Revengeance difficulty, if at all useful.

Hypron

He probably means on Revengeance difficulty, where it spawns mastiffs in the second wave along with the swordsman.

Pincers are probably the solution

I've been trying to use them but 1 time out of 2 I get grabbed during the release animation... I think I'll take a break, go for a run and try again later. The camera is very frustrating as well, I swear I'd die twice less if the camera wasn't fighting against me. I can't count the number of times I got killed by off screen enemies or how many times the camera spun on itself while I was attempting a parry...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'll have to put some time into the blades tomorrow. I only used that heavy base attack which throws enemies up into the air but the blades are too slow to be practical for me.

I haven't done the VR's yet, but the "kill 'em all" ones seem impossible to me to get a good time/1st run on.

Korigama

I'll have to put some time into the blades tomorrow. I only used that heavy base attack which throws enemies up into the air but the blades are too slow to be practical for me.

I haven't done the VR's yet, but the "kill 'em all" ones seem impossible to me to get a good time/1st run on.
I managed to finish VR mission 1 in around 29.16 seconds through use of the pincer blades (nothing else worked for me). It was quite a problem without them, seeing as everything had to be killed in under 40 seconds for the Gold time.

Astral

Finally beat Monsoon on Revengeance with an S rank. I missed a battle. I got an A in the chapter. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. I'm done. I'm just gonna finish up Revengeance mode with what little sanity I have left.

RangerBAD

I managed to finish VR mission 1 in around 29.16 seconds through use of the pincer blades (nothing else worked for me). It was quite a problem without them, seeing as everything had to be killed in under 40 seconds for the Gold time.

That one is the easiest and I can't do it either. I got the Slide Blade Mode down, but I can't line up the second slide right and that fucking Gekko...

Vodh

Holy shit. The soundtrack, the epic cutscenes, the magnificent controls, visuals and the feel of the game... This game has turned out so much better than I expected - and I've had pretty high expectations for it! It's basically every bit as awesome as I would have wanted gameplay-wise, but with design and soundtrack that could very well be the best I've seen in an action game. Bravo, bravo.

Neiteio

It's crazy to look back at the VGA 2011 trailer with its 20 seconds or whatever of gameplay, and think back to when we were all cautiously optimistic, not sure what to expect, but trusting the game was in able hands now that it switched to Platinum.

Boy, was it ever. It's simply incredible to see the final product. Bravo!

That one is the easiest and I can't do it either. I got the Slide Blade Mode down, but I can't line up the second slide right and that fucking Gekko...

Don't zandatsu when you slide to kill the first 3 that spawn. Just get into position start charging the second hit of pincers and release a split second after the second wave spawns so the two melee guards can move a bit closer. Releasing it will probably kill 3-4 guards, refill all your blade meter, and stun the gekko.

RangerBAD

Don't zandatsu when you slide to kill the first 3 that spawn. Just get into position start charging the second hit of pincers and release a split second after the second wave spawns so the two melee guards can move a bit closer. Releasing it will probably kill 3-4 guards, refill all your blade meter, and stun the gekko.

I was going by the strategy found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9cX83k469A but your strategy sounds good.

Top Bottom