• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

Sky Chief

Holy shit. The soundtrack, the epic cutscenes, the magnificent controls, visuals and the feel of the game... This game has turned out so much better than I expected - and I've had pretty high expectations for it! It's basically every bit as awesome as I would have wanted gameplay-wise, but with design and soundtrack that could very well be the best I've seen in an action game. Bravo, bravo.

Totally agree. I just finished the game and was just so impressed. What an amazing clash of MGS and Platinum craziness. It is amazing how it all just worked so well. Absolutely fantastic!

Vodh

I can't get over how the soundtrack elevated the boss battles from 'ones of the best i've ever seen' right up to the 'HOLY FUCKING SHIT' levels. I'm really wondering if there will ever be a game that manages to jump over a bar that's been set so damn high.

This game has one of the most disturbing things I have ever done/seen in a game before. Watching an enemy soldier pathetically crawl around with no arms and legs made me feel really bad.

This game has one of the most disturbing things I have ever done/seen in a game before. Watching an enemy soldier pathetically crawl around with no arms and legs made me feel really bad.
I kinda like the added sadism. Other games with dismemberment usually make the dismemberment instant death. I liked goofing around with Wig B and Fox Blade and chopping off the fingers of a hammer wielder. Can't carry your hammer now sucker!

jett

D-Member

I have the opposite reaction. They seem to feel nothing and barely care, therefore I don't care either. I chop up people into a million tiny pieces yet this game gets no reaction out of me in that aspect. It somehow doesn't seem violent, like say, God of War.

I can't get over how the soundtrack elevated the boss battles from 'ones of the best i've ever seen' right up to the 'HOLY FUCKING SHIT' levels. I'm really wondering if there will ever be a game that manages to jump over a bar that's been set so damn high.

Music used to elevate moments has become a lost art in gaming with the (over)use of generic orchestrated soundtracks. Rising's use is much more old school, back to the time where bosses had themes, and "2nd forms" had music to accompany the increase in intensity. I've been wanting stuff like this for years, especially in shooters. As many mistakes as Max Payne 3 makes, this is one area that game also excels in, though with a much different style of soundtrack.

I have the opposite reaction. They seem to feel nothing and barely care, therefore I don't care either. I chop up people into a million tiny pieces yet this game gets no reaction out of me in that aspect. It somehow doesn't seem violent, like say, God of War.

I don't really mind either when in the heat of things. Actually I get kind of a rush off of it. Watching enemies fumble around like that knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail is rather funny. But for some reason seeing the last enemy in a battle crawling around like a worm with no discernible way to inflict damage upon me just felt so pathetic. He just kept trying to crawl into my feet and rubbing his head against them. :(

God I love this game though. Just the fact that I can cut off limbs like this has been a dream of mine for years.

MCD

Man

Who designed this Monsoon boss? CAN'T SEE SHIT CAPTAIN

Random attacks, invincibility, camera that won't stop fucking your eyes

I have never used a healing item (hard) till this asshole

THANKS OBAMA

Neiteio

Jett's 100% on the money. Remember: The cyborgs you're fighting in this game have pain inhibitors -- they're not suffering whatsoever. Furthermore, many of the enemies, once completely limbless, will actually taunt you, saying they can still take you. It's straight out of Monty Python and the Holy Grail!

Jett's 100% on the money. Remember: The cyborgs you're fighting in this game have pain inhibitors -- they're not suffering whatsoever. Furthermore, many of the enemies, once completely limbless, will actually taunt you, saying they can still take you. It's straight out of Monty Python and the Holy Grail!

But are their emotions gone, or are they simply suppressed? Are they trapped inside their own bodies? Screaming on the inside?

Neiteio

But are their emotions gone, or are they simply suppressed? Are they trapped inside their own bodies? Screaming on the inside?
They can't be -that- scared, since the limbless bodies always wriggle -toward- you, never away, lol.

But yeah, the story does depict Raiden at least -imagining- the soldiers' fear. Although I thought in another part of the game they mentioned the cyborg tech (or nanomachines, or whatever) providing emotion control, as well.

Eh.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Sever all arms and legs

"I've still got one more!"

Flops around and tries to headbutt you.

I laugh every time.

Guess Who

Banned
They can't be -that- scared, since the limbless bodies always wriggle -toward- you, never away, lol.

Yeah, but if the nanomachines were suppressing their fear from affecting their actions, that wouldn't matter. They'd act and behave exactly as if they were fearless on the outside, but inside they'd be terrified.

Neiteio

Sever all arms and legs

"I've still got one more!"

Flops around and tries to headbutt you.

I laugh every time.
Exactly, lol. Like robots in Vanquish and monsters in Bayonetta, Platinum has once again given us a non-guilt-inducing enemy (even if the story tries to make us think otherwise).

Yeah, but if the nanomachines were suppressing their fear from affecting their actions, that wouldn't matter. They'd act and behave exactly as if they were fearless on the outside, but inside they'd be terrified.
My understanding is emotion control keeps them from feeling afraid in the first place. It doesn't make them suffer fear internally while driving their bodies forward or whatever.

LaneDS

Started my third play through, and while I'm really enjoying the game I have to say I'm enjoying it in spite of the story and characters (usually for the MGS series it's the other way around). Game is super fun to play through (especially with the Gray Fox suit) but I found the story and characters pretty stupid (the end especially), which is disappointing even if I was sort of expecting that from the trailers. Seems like I'm in the minority on that front, or people are just so enamored with the gameplay that gripes about story and characterization fall by the wayside.

The fact I replayed the game once, let alone going for a third play through is saying something as I rarely replay anything these days. I'm just hopeful for the sequel KojiPro can handle the plot/story/characters and leave the gameplay up to Platinum. Also, more Gray Fox please, even if only in unlockable skin format.

Guess Who

Banned
My understanding is emotion control keeps them from feeling afraid in the first place. It doesn't make them suffer fear internally while driving their bodies forward or whatever.

Yeah, it does depend on how the nanomachines work, but the only way that makes any sense to me given that scene is that those thoughts are still going through the soldier's heads and the nanomachines are basically pushing them back. Eh.

Neiteio

Yeah, it does depend on how the nanomachines work, but the only way that makes any sense to me given that scene is that those thoughts are still going through the soldier's heads and the nanomachines are basically pushing them back. Eh.
I interpreted it as Raiden envisioning the soldier's true self -- in other words, what the soldier would be thinking, IF NOT for nanomachines. So in other words, in that actual moment, the soldier is not afraid.

But I could be wrong. The exact effects of the emotion control nanomachines aren't clear to me. I guess I'm just thankful that if nothing else, it's clear the enemies don't feel physical pain.

jett

D-Member
We just need another Sorrow sequence where the limbless torsos are wriggling past you and arms are Thinging all over the place.

1352421378764.gif

That room with the three mastiffs and the velociraptor thing in very hard is hilarious. It feels so good to play a game where your every move counts. The only real BS part are joystick QTEs, but you can always avoid getting grabbed.

Also, gif doesn't work for me. Lucky?

Kyzon

Just beat it on Normal.
Now to go to Easy, Hard, and then Revengence.

This game is glorious! I love my grey fox skin.

I'm hoping for a sequel starring him.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just had a good idea about a Gray Fox story DLC but then I realized that it would probably never happen. :(

I feel like doing something with Gray Fox would be difficult since there aren't other cyborgs to fight. Nothing could stand up to him and having him cutting apart normal people would make the game a tough sell in Japan.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
YOU HAVE TO TAKE A DOOMP

I laughed out loud heartily at that line because I "what"-ed at the same time as Raiden.

Random attacks, invincibility, camera that won't stop fucking your eyes

Back yourself into the wall/gate you came in from, when he smokebombs you he can only come from three areas then. Easy parrying.

I have never used a healing item (hard) till this asshole

Neither did I, because I fucked up parrying his stupid Sai's and learned to just use the EMP bombs to get rid of his Aura quickly so I didn't have to parry the Sai's/wait out the aura and then fucked him up as quick as I could while parrying as best as I could.

Took 3 health items, but fuck him. I dunno how I'll S-rank the bosses on Revengence with them wanting you to no damage them.

I just had a good idea about a Gray Fox story DLC but then I realized that it would probably never happen. :(

I feel like doing something with Gray Fox would be difficult since there aren't other cyborgs to fight. Nothing could stand up to him and having him cutting apart normal people would make the game a tough sell in Japan.

I don't even understand the continued Gray Fox obsession after this game. His design is still great, but Raiden's become way more entertaining.

Now fighting a cyborg clone of Gray Fox in the sequel? I'd be down for that. Like if someone created him just to hunt down Raiden who's (RISING END SPOILERS)
globetrotting to take out PMCs
and you cross paths with him multiple times like Jeanne in Bayo.

chrono01

I don't even understand the continued Gray Fox obsession after this game. His design is still great, but Raiden's become way more entertaining.

Now fighting a cyborg clone of Gray Fox in the sequel? I'd be down for that. Like if someone created him just to hunt down Raiden who's (RISING END SPOILERS)
globetrotting to take out PMCs
and you cross paths with him multiple times like Jeanne in Bayo.

The box art could be Raiden one side and Gray Fox on the other, with a blade slicing right down the middle [all in Yuji Shinkawa's art, of course].

The tagline could read: "Sometimes, the difference between right and wrong becomes Gray..."

Platinum Games/Konami, please make it happen.

The box art could be Raiden one side and Gray Fox on the other, with a blade slicing right down the middle [all in Yuji Shinkawa's art, of course].

The tagline could read: "Sometimes, the difference between right and wrong becomes Gray..."

Platinum Games/Konami, please make it happen.

....Have you thought about this already?

Cause I now want to pre-order that. 5 star tagline. Wonderful.

Top Bottom