• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

demidar

Regardless of what you think of their games (I think DmC was good), they keep selling like shit. At least Grasshopper games are dirt cheap to make, NT always have AAA budgets yet never meet sales objectives.

Shadows of the Damned could have greatly benefited from more money and time, you can tell the seeds of greatness was there.

rvy

Banned
YO FUCK THAT FIRST GRAD FIGHT ON VERY HARD

Seriously the camera.

THE CAMERA

WONT SOMEONE THINK OF THE CAMERA

Somehow still got an A but still. Jesus. I couldn't stop laughing. Two of them are skating around firing rockets and their machine guns non-stop. Camera can't keep track.

Maybe use lock-on?

Tytree

Neo Member
Regardless of what you think of their games (I think DmC was good), they keep selling like shit. At least Grasshopper games are dirt cheap to make, NT always have AAA budgets yet never meet sales objectives.
I'm partial to Enslaved, myself. I think a fair few people are were willing to give Ninja Theory the benefit of the doubt. Clearly not enough to make the game a hit, though.

In any case, this game. THIS GAME. Makes me rock hard. Puts hair on the chest and all that. I'm kicking myself in the ass for not putting all my faith into Platinum Games always. I thought I had been, but then I realized I never bought Anarchy Reigns. Picking up a copy of that tomorrow. I have not been this pumped when playing a video game since Vanquish.

Has anyone been looking at how much those preorder codes are going for, though? I had a second Gray Fox code, and for curiosity' sake, I checked eBay for them. $30? Honestly, people paying that are not tremendously bright.

Carbonox

Maybe use lock-on?

Won't help really as there are two of them constantly dashing around firing at you. You lock on to one to focus on it and the other will come at you without you knowing. The speed of the battle is impressive given it's just another encounter really (though exclusive to Very Hard and above).

rvy

Banned
Won't help really as there are two of them constantly dashing around firing at you. You lock on to one to focus on it and the other will come at you without you knowing. The speed of the battle is impressive given it's just another encounter really (though exclusive to Very Hard and above).

Hopefully Platinum watch the feedback and patch it out.

MormaPope

Banned
I broke the Monsoon fight, got his damage down too fast and he constantly would be in tank/helicopter throwing mode. He also threw about 5 or 6 things at me at once at a certain point, some of the stuff would just hover around the other stuff and go completely over the side or over my head.

Pretty neat actually.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Armstrong fight is fine. the problem is those fucking boulders man. that's what got me killed so many times. i only did it once to get the health drops from it and after that I ran in front of them because i didn't want to deal with that shit anymore lol
That was my strategy

Robot Pants

I honestly don't think this game is possible to get all S Ranks on on Revengeance mode without having your upgrades from a previous playthough.

ViviOggi

I can definitely see why people would hate the camera, but I seem to be immune to those shenanigans, only annoys me slightly if at all (unless Mastiffs are involved). Probably stems from my N64 days where early 3D games sported the worst cameras to ever be conceived, controlled by four tiny digital buttons.

Fabrik

Banned
After completing the game last night, here are my final impressions of the game:

+ Very smooth controls for the most part.
+ Awesome enemies and boss designs.
+ Cut at will/Zandatsu/Ninja run mechanic.
+ Fantastic visual effects and aural feedback.
+ Sufficiently lengthy campaign in Hard mode.

Some of my complaints are:

- The camera just doesn't get the job done when the fighting is intense and there's several enemies on screen. It shouldn't move that much by itself, particularly during combat/lock on. The view is too close. I don't understand why Platinum didn't follow Bayonetta's camera system.

- The lock on system is slow/broken. How are you supposed to toggle between enemies? Why does it take so much time for the visual cue to appear? Why the lock is sometimes lost (particularly during the final boss fight?)

- The animation is fluid but compared to Bayonetta, some of Raiden's actions/combos have several frames where you can't input anything making the combat less fluid than Bayonetta's. The Ninja run takes just a bit too long to start (Raiden puts his sword back in its sheath before) (Again it's particularly annoying during the final boss fight)

- The urban environments are very bland. Most of the levels are not very inspiring visually. Too many browns/greys, too empty. Sewer levels should be forbidden from existence. There's no particular levels I want to replay. If I come back it'll be only for the combat.

- The combat on the whole feels a lot more button-mashy than Bayonetta's and not as elegant. Most of the special moves are useless and used just for style and variation. Since you need to be ready to parry all the time, using the shortest combo string all the time is the safest.

- The game combat is not very well explained. The dodge move is a must and shouldn't be an unlockable. Without it, all the enemies with an unparryable attack are just not fun to fight and frustrating. Flying enemies and helicopters are also not fun since your tools/lock on are insufficient to deal efficiently with them.

- The Ray/Mistral/Monsoon boss fights are not very strategic. Again I found them very button-mashy and block-block-block. Their pattern are not varied enough. Plus, they appear out of nowhere. They are not developed as characters thus there's zero emotional involvement/impact in defeating them.

- The story is not very interesting or well told and cuts the gameplay too frequently on subsequent walkthrough. It started very well in Africa with the assassination but then it's a nose dive. I still liked the final boss and it's speech. On the other hand, the kid is ridiculous, Sunny is not present enough (She could have replaced the secretary), we don't know what's the deal is with Bladewolf and Sam, where are they coming from? The Jack the ripper part in the middle of the story is interesting but slow moving "controllable" cut-scenes are a pain and not replayable at all.

All in all I'm slightly disappointed by the game, it's still very much worth playing and a solid 7/10 and considering its troubled development cycle it's a miracle, but there's a bit too much stuff dragging it down so I'm not sure I'll be willing to spend 45+ hours on it like I did on Bayonetta.

StuBurns

Banned
Great post, I agree with almost all of it.

My initial impressions were much more negative than I ended up thinking, but it's still not very good for me.

Feindflug

There is going to be DLC, so a patch isn't out of the question.

Hopefully you're right, the game is too awesome to be hampered by camera issues. :(

Maybe if the just put camera reset at RB and lock on at the RS things will get better and be easier/faster to roll out a patch, as it is right now camera reset at the RS is pretty much useless.

Finally finished it. Played through on hard mode of course.

Holy shit that final boss!
I only died like 7 or so times on the whole. Wasn't nearly as frustrating as I had been led to believe too. In fact, I thought the whole sequence (starting with Metal Gear) was pretty fucking awesome. That final fight in the crater surrounded by the flaming remains of MG was extra juicy. I love that I had to use every single trick at my disposal to get an edge on the bastard. The leg cutting parts were tricky at first, but once I realized I could take my time, it wasn't even a a thang.

As a huge Metal Gear fan and a giant fan of Platinum games, I'm extremely pleased with Rising. It's everything I wanted to be, and I'm actually really happy that the story was so straightforward. It was interesting, coherent (as far as MG games go), and a helluva lot of fun. I didn't think there'd be too many stories to tell in a post MGS4 world, but I've happily been proven wrong.

Minor quibbles include the camera; I never had it screw up too bad, but it probably gets worse on higher difficulties. I didn't at all mind the industrial environments, though some more human-sized enemy variation would have been nice.

Give me a sequel now please.

Bedlam

I can definitely see why people would hate the camera, but I seem to be immune to those shenanigans, only annoys me slightly if at all (unless Mastiffs are involved). Probably stems from my N64 days where early 3D games sported the worst cameras to ever be conceived, controlled by four tiny digital buttons.
Yep. Same here.

Probably because I've always preferred to control the camera manually in games. If there's an option to switch off the "tilt back behind protagonist" function, then that's the first thing I do when starting a game. Camera control is just natural to my right thumb.

I was fine with the camera in MGR. The only instances where it became slightly annoying were those when several Silverbacks are piling up on Raiden.

demidar

That feel when you can completely dominate a gorilla for the first time. GRADs aren't much of a problem now as well, especially with lots of slicedodging.

TP

I'm guessing some of you guys with the camera issues aren't using hard lock on and camera reset. I've been using them since I started playing and have never felt like the camera was a problem during a fight.

- The lock on system is slow/broken. How are you supposed to toggle between enemies? Why does it take so much time for the visual cue to appear? Why the lock is sometimes lost (particularly during the final boss fight?)

I've come across these hard lock on shenanigans during boss fights. At the start of the boss fight it takes a moment before you can hard lock onto the boss. Hard lock on would occasionally refuse to work on the helicopter during the Sundowner fight. The hard lock on disappears when the boss goes out of range (Monsoon/Senator). And you can cycle through enemies with right stick.

The only time I feel like the camera is complete ass is when I use it while disguised. The camera resets after moving so I have to wiggle it left and right to keep it on target.

A patch would be nice

Bedlam

A patch would be nice
While they're at it, I'd love it if they replaced the left-stick-waggling with mashing a button. That was easily the biggest annoyance for me in the whole game.

At some point I even gave up on those QTEs because I was too worried about breaking my gamepad. Terrible design decision.

Welp, VR missions are over and done with, which means the last thing I've left myself to do is... the codec. I still haven't listened to a single optional one yet.

huge-mistake.gif

duckroll

While they're at it, I'd love it if they replaced the left-stick-waggling with mashing a button. That was easily the biggest annoyance for me in the whole game.

At some point I even gave up on those QTEs because I was too worried about breaking my gamepad. Terrible design decision.

It's supposed to be "annoying" because it's a penalty for being caught in a grapple. I can't think of a single stick waggling action which is required in the game. If you don't want to try to get out of it quick, you can always just eat the damage instead. It's an action presented to give a player who succumbed to the attack a chance to get out of it. That's all. I think it's pretty good design honestly.

I don't like the reliance on cinematic QTEs, because that's just fluff which could be designed into actual gameplay instead, but bitching about a penalty seems silly to me.

Bedlam

It's supposed to be "annoying" because it's a penalty for being caught in a grapple. I can't think of a single stick waggling action which is required in the game. If you don't want to try to get out of it quick, you can always just eat the damage instead. It's an action presented to give a player who succumbed to the attack a chance to get out of it. That's all. I think it's pretty good design honestly.
No it's terrible. Put that penalty on the buttons! They are made for getting mashed, not the way more fragile analog sticks. It's just wrong when I start to think about my gamepad's condition in the middle of the game and give up on game mechanics for that reason. It's just wrong.

Also, it happens way too frequently on higher difficulties.

duckroll

No it's terrible. Put that penalty on the buttons! They are made for getting mashed, not the way more fragile analog sticks. It's just wrong when I start to think about my gamepad's condition in the middle of the game and give up on game mechanics for that reason. It's just wrong.

Putting it on the buttons will make no logical sense. I like how even for the QTEs, the button selections are logically tied to their function in the game. Any QTE involving the sword generally use Square or Triangle, and any QTE involving grabbing something uses O. The Triangle + O QTEs generally involve Raiden grabbing and slashing something. The left analog QTEs all involve moment. Works for me! If you're actually afraid of breaking your controller, maybe that says something about how you use your controllers. :p

demidar

Welp, VR missions are over and done with, which means the last thing I've left myself to do is... the codec. I still haven't listened to a single optional one yet.

huge-mistake.gif

I played for 7 hours yesterday, 4 of those hours were listening to codecs and watching cutscenes and I made it to R02.

I listened to it because I wanted to, not to chase an achievement

I see hints of Snake in Raiden when he's on codec, and the conversations really go on tangents. Each character also has their own quirks or specialty and it's nice getting their opinion on events.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

sounds like a personal problem

I've never come close to breaking my sticks and just move out of the way of grabs with the invincible dodge

I also prefer waggle to button mashing as it's easier to just waggle in controlled circular motions for me than to mash buttons. Hated that stuff in anarchy.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
If you guys want waggle pain should have played MGO

I broke the skin on the palm of my hand trying to wake up from stuns in that game....(Never a controller though)

Rising ain't shit

I'm on the side of "stick wiggling is terrible." It feels unnatural to do, and the stunned state occurs more and more the higher you put the difficulty. It's also terrible for your sticks in the long run. I'd much prefer to mash the buttons which is faster and less stressful on the controller.

Jintor

stick wiggling is terrible

the worst

The other thing is I keep thinking 'man what if no more heroes had these gameplay skillz' and getting all sad. God if blade mode was me madly waving my controller around like an idiot trying to hit a small red box on the screen i would be so happy.

Bedlam

Putting it on the buttons will make no logical sense. I like how even for the QTEs, the button selections are logically tied to their function in the game. Any QTE involving the sword generally use Square or Triangle, and any QTE involving grabbing something uses O. The Triangle + O QTEs generally involve Raiden grabbing and slashing something. The left analog QTEs all involve moment. Works for me!
Well, Raiden is using his arms to break free from the mini-gecko stuns. So in that sense buttons would be just as logical, if not more so.

If you're actually afraid of breaking your controller, maybe that says something about how you use your controllers. :p

sounds like a personal problem

I've never come close to breaking my sticks
Me neither and I like to keep it that way. I've played with worn out gamepads with loose analog sticks at other places and I definintely don't want that to happen to my own gamepads. But it will eventually if you waggle the shit out of those sticks.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Am I doing something wrong or does it take forever to kill anything without getting the perfect parry counterattack on Hard?

If you're not upgrading the damage on your weapons it takes a while

Using 3-4 strength mods on Murasama I was consistently missing combo bonuses simply because enemies were dying too quickly

Me neither and I like to keep it that way. I've played with worn out gamepads with loose analog sticks at other places and I definintely don't want that to happen to my own gamepads. But it will eventually if you waggle the shit out of those sticks.

Not if you're smart about it

Doing it hard and doing it fast/efficient are two different things

Not a problem for me. So I don't agree with calling it a bad design decision. People use that phrase out too lightly when criticizing games

Fabrik

Banned
I know I'm not forced to watch every trailers if I don't want to but Konami/Platinum basically spoiled the entire game before release. I mean a trailer for 5 boss battles when you have only 7 in your final game is wroooooooong.

Monocle

Platinum, I will buy any or all of these as DLC:

- Boss rush mode

- Custom arena/practice mode

- Trenchcoat Raiden

- Naked Raiden

- Model viewer

Please?

Top Bottom