• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Platinum, I will buy any or all of these as DLC:

- Naked Raiden

- Model viewer

Please?

Given Raiden's a cyborg now, I'm sure they'd be able to get this past the censors. I mean MGS2 Raiden was already a barbie doll. Might as well have no shame on that.

The question is, how does he give it to Rose now that he's a cyborg?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I know I'm not forced to watch every trailers if I don't want to but Konami/Platinum basically spoiled the entire game before release. I mean a trailer for 5 boss battles when you have only 7 in your final game is wroooooooong.

Wasn't as bad as 3 or Peace Walker

and the altered story sequences shown were pretty deceptive

Really surprised at how well kept a secret
Armstrong
was. Ignoring trophy leaks of course

I watched all the promo material against my better judgement and I was pretty satisfied with the things I didn't know about in the game

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Very Hard appears to be DELICIOUS. Except...

Giving the fucking dogs that 4-5 round Tail MAG attack is JUST BEING NASTY. Especially when facing them head on and un-upgraded with no dodge.

demidar

What the fuck? The camera in this game is atrocious

I'm mad as fuck right now

The camera is the worst things about this game, fo' real. It's not a huge deal when fighting one super-agile enemy but when trying to keep track of multiple enemies at once it sucks balls. I would not be opposed to enemies not being able to start attacks when off-screen like DMC4 had, or drawing the camera back far enough to see all nearby enemies.

Jintor

Like Max's review says it's the fucking corners of the map that really fuck you up. Camera pressing against the wall right into Raiden's cybernetic ass is not a great look.

Also, off-screen enemies don't seem to indicate. Is there a sound for their 'tell'? I remember in B they just shrugged and made it so on normal they don't attack you from offscreen, on hard they do it about half as often, and they don't give a shit on Infinite Climax; but either way there's always that distinctive sound and light blast before they strike.

That gamestop preorder artbook is actually pretty nice considering it's just a bonus item. I'm almost tempted to remove some of the pages and frame them.

It's also a rare situation where the preorder bonus is practically the same as the Japanese version's bonus item. I got my Premium Package import yesterday and aside from better paper stock for the cover and maybe the interior pages, the actual content of the artbook itself is identical. Good on Konami for going for parity between different regions' bonus items.

Noticed on the GRAD fight the game was focused more on having my face covered in exploding containers than where the damn thing was. The one time I managed to corner it the fight was trivial

Why Platinum? Why?

Finished this game and it was AMAZING. Yeah, the camera is wonky at times, but I loved it overall. Possible GOTY for me. Final boss was very annoying, but I finally beat him after he got me around 20 times or so. Wait, you can buy a dodge as an unlockable?

Fabrik

Banned
Wasn't as bad as 3 or Peace Walker

and the altered story sequences shown were pretty deceptive

Really surprised at how well kept a secret
Armstrong
was. Ignoring trophy leaks of course

I watched all the promo material against my better judgement and I was pretty satisfied with the things I didn't know about in the game

Anyway, I'm not convinced being spoiled by trailers affects my final enjoyment of a game. A good game is still a good game no matter what.
On the other hand, Arkham Asylum and Bayonetta came out of nowhere for me and I loved them to death but maybe that's just because they're simply great.
I guess the problem is not being spoiled but having certain expectations, like how you imagine it will play in your head versus a total surprise where you have zero preconceived notions. And also anticipation, I bought Arkham and Bayonetta the day after their release versus months of anticipation for MGR so I really had time to imagine a "perfect" game in my head. The camera is still a bit crappy though :)

jett

D-Member
Like Max's review says it's the fucking corners of the map that really fuck you up. Camera pressing against the wall right into Raiden's cybernetic ass is not a great look.

Also, off-screen enemies don't seem to indicate. Is there a sound for their 'tell'? I remember in B they just shrugged and made it so on normal they don't attack you from offscreen, on hard they do it about half as often, and they don't give a shit on Infinite Climax; but either way there's always that distinctive sound and light blast before they strike.

There's no sound, there is nothing. They just hit you. Bullets, rockets, whatever. It's complete bullshit. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it'll be miraculous if someone can fight through Revengeance difficulty without losing a life.

Finished this game and it was AMAZING. Yeah, the camera is wonky at times, but I loved it overall. Possible GOTY for me. Final boss was very annoying, but I finally beat him after he got me around 20 times or so. Wait, you can buy a dodge as an unlockable?

Yup. And it's a great move too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ2jSwamiCo

It's an amazing game. I had less trouble with the camera when I stopped darting across the screen like an idiot and played more agressively with both the lock-on and parry. I adjusted to it in Ninja Gaiden and I adjusted to it in this. It's certainly a flawed camera system, but I'm still having so much fun with this that it will probably end up fairly high in my GotY list.

Nobody does action like Platinum and I hope they'll be making games for years to come.

sonicmj1

There's no sound, there is nothing. They just hit you. Bullets, rockets, whatever. It's complete bullshit. I've said it before and I'll say it again, it'll be miraculous if someone can fight through Revengeance difficulty without losing a life.

Rockets usually have a tell because you'll see the laser sight aiming at you a little before they take the shot. It doesn't do you any good if you're pinned down already, but it's something.

Lunging melee attacks from offscreen give you almost no room to react.

The only real complaint about this game I have so far is the camera at some points. For most of the game (and for me, all of the boss fights) I think the camera is fine but yeah sometimes it just goes wacky. I wouldn't have a problem with a game designed with enemies who can attack offscreen if the camera was fine (NG2 comes to mind, yes the camera in NG games are fine dummies, just use the center button don't touch the right stick). This games camera can't seem to make up its mind whether it wants to autocorrect it for you or let you manage it. Centering the camera generally makes it manageable (R3 is a terrible button for a camera center if it is necessary to the game as well) but sometimes the autocorrect is just too zealous. The parts that make me mad is when you are fighting some of the tougher enemies and you get knocked back - and the camera fucking orients itself in way that it is looking at the player and not the enemies who just hit you.

Other than that everything in the game seems pretty smartly made. All of the subweapons seem to have some use (I don't like using the pole weapon due to it disabling the stinger move which I found absolutely necessary though). Bonus is that the game feels pretty different. It doesn't feel like Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, Devil May Cry, etc - which is good because that was my main worry that the game would be a reskin of franchises I have played tons of before (which would still be good enough for me I guess in the end). It is great that this is its own thing. From the 20 or so hours I have played it seems Platinum games has delivered pretty much exactly what I wanted.

Also it has Metal Gear stuff, which is cool too.

And an amazing final boss.

Morts

The other thing is I keep thinking 'man what if no more heroes had these gameplay skillz' and getting all sad. God if blade mode was me madly waving my controller around like an idiot trying to hit a small red box on the screen i would be so happy.

NMH3 on Wii U with MotionPlus... developed by Platinum?

A man can dream.

Mupod

Given Raiden's a cyborg now, I'm sure they'd be able to get this past the censors. I mean MGS2 Raiden was already a barbie doll. Might as well have no shame on that.

The question is, how does he give it to Rose now that he's a cyborg?

In all seriousness that seems like the kind of thing Doktor would gleefully work on. Especially if he's serious about expanding cyborg tech for everyday civilian use.

I'm pretty sure the camera is zoomed in so close because that makes it easier to make precise cuts. If they made the camera zoom out while not in blade mode and zoom in during blade mode, it might feel jarring or disruptive. They probably already tried it during development and decided to keep the camera at a fixed (close) position.

Unfortunately that does cause issues with some huge sized enemies that like circle strafing Raiden.

Sephzilla

Honestly the only time I ever had an issue with the camera was when I got stuck in a corner or near a wall. But those are situations you should try to be avoiding anyway regardless of a camera.

I guess its to each their own but MGR's camera in my opinion isn't any better or worse than most other action titles. I had more of an issue with DmC's camera than in this game, though that's more because DmC lacks any proper lock on.

zainetor

Banned
I tried to start a new gameon very hard, after finishing the game on hard.
My god they put a mastiff a the beginning of the first mission. i have no dodge to escape his grab and my sword does absolutely nothing to him, lol.

NIN90

2013-02-26-154609y5pvq.jpg

LE guide GET!

jett

D-Member
AHAHAHAHA VR MISSION 18 GO ASSFUCK YOURSELF

Done in 5:28.36. At least, it's over. I was so fucking scared the game would fuck me over during the Grad fight.

icespide

Banned
so I was flying through the game on very hard without many problems but I've hit a huge wall with the
fist fight with armstrong
I barely do any damage and even when I parry I take huge damage. can I just wait him out? I've waited for like 3 minutes and still nothing.

Sephzilla

so I was flying through the game on very hard without many problems but I've hit a huge wall with the
fist fight with armstrong
I barely do any damage and even when I parry I take huge damage. can I just wait him out? I've waited for like 3 minutes and still nothing.

You're talking about the very first part and not the fist fight right? I'm pretty sure you need to beat him up a lot for the first part of the fight, the fisticuffs fight you can just run from him for 2 minutes.

icespide

Banned
You're talking about the very first part and not the fist fight right? I'm pretty sure you need to beat him up a lot for the first part of the fight, the fisticuffs fight you can just run from him for 2 minutes.

nope, I'm talking about the fist fight. had no problem with the very first part. I swear I waited for like 3 minutes and nothing. do I need to damage him at all? I've heard you need to at least get him down to 97%

duckroll

Finally beat the game. That was fucking great. That final boss. ROFLMAO. Pretty much -exactly- what I expected from a marriage of Kojima Productions and Platinum Games. LOL.

Slice me if old:

http://platinumgames.com/2013/02/26/it-starts-today/

DLC1: VR Missions
DLC2: Sam’s Story
DLC3: LQ-84i’s Story

Can't wait for the Sam and Wolf DLCs!

MGR Director: Kenji Saito said:
VR Mission #19: Raiden takes on cyborgs with nothing but his fists in this street-styled VR mission. To change things up, this mission actually features a fixed camera that follows you along as you progress through the stage, like an old school platformer. Watch for your chance to parry counter and slam your enemies with an iron fist!

Can't wait for this

mattp

jesus christ, i knew it was going to get crazy based on peoples' reactions in here, but lol the last hour of this game is fucking bananas
so good

...and the last boss is an asshole.
had to stop trying last night cuz it was late.

NIN90

Interesting tidbit from the guide:

No Kills:
An award for not killing human enemies. Naturally, this is only possible in battles that feature at least one applicable opponent. All you have to do is cut a limb (leg or arm) from the enemies in question, then move away until they disappear.

I distinctly remember one battle in in R-04 during an elevator ride with one armored soldier, multiple flying things and 2 or 3 mastiffs. I sucked a whole lot on that fight and it took me like 30 minutes to get past it on Hard difficulty. But I still got an S rank at the end because I got a no kill bonus. Thought the game glitched for some reason but it turns out I did not kill the soldier (only cut a limb or two) and he disappeared once the mastiffs spawned (something that happens frequently throughout the game).

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Raiden's "evil" VO is garbage. Like many voices in the Metal Gear universe, it sounds like a guy "doing" a voice rather than an actual person. It's Saturday morning cartoon grade. And it's a terrible voice coming from a guy whose normal voice is already pretty weak.

The rest of the cast was better than I was expecting from that English boss trailer. Sam didn't seem too goofy, nor did Mistral. Sundowner was a little cartoonish but his actual vocal intonation was fine. Monsoon still had a stupid cartoon voice.

Endo Punk

Man so many of you guys have already got every trophy, achievement o_o

Second playthrough and I still haven't seen trophy list. But I was totally expecting one for a 4x ZanDatsu. Felt so Boss.

Mupod

It's just Quinton Flynn trying his hardest to overdo his voice like David Hayter did for Snake. Really painful to listen to at times, lol.

I think it's hilarious. Especially that little cackle he does when you turn on ripper mode.

I'm still kinda baffled at Crispin Freeman being Sundowner. And Phil Lamarr snuck up on me again.

Top Bottom