• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

jett

D-Member
VR Mission 19 is such fucking garbage. Disappearing enemies, randomly exploding enemies, off-screen attacks in the middle of a zandatsu that mess you up. This game feels like it was designed by both geniuses and fucking idiots at once.

Sephzilla

Raiden's "evil" VO is garbage. Like many voices in the Metal Gear universe, it sounds like a guy "doing" a voice rather than an actual person. It's Saturday morning cartoon grade. And it's a terrible voice coming from a guy whose normal voice is already pretty weak.

The rest of the cast was better than I was expecting from that English boss trailer. Sam didn't seem too goofy, nor did Mistral. Sundowner was a little cartoonish but his actual vocal intonation was fine. Monsoon still had a stupid cartoon voice.

I liked it by factor of it being a silly cartoon :(

demidar

I think it's hilarious. Especially that little cackle he does when you turn on ripper mode.

I'm still kinda baffled at Crispin Freeman being Sundowner. And Phil Lamarr snuck up on me again.

Same. I was going through the codecs after he turned on his ham and often times after conversation in his Ripper persona he goes back to regular old Raiden in the next one.

Lunar15

It's not so much that his "jack" voice is so bad, it's that it goes on and off at random times. It's like they wanted to incorporate his split personality into the story, but it's never clearly defined, and it just seems like his VA was recorded at different times with no meaning behind why the tone just changes in the middle of cutscenes.

Really poor job.

zainetor

Banned
Interesting tidbit from the guide:

I distinctly remember one battle in in R-04 during an elevator ride with one armored soldier, multiple flying things and 2 or 3 mastiffs. I sucked a whole lot on that fight and it took me like 30 minutes to get past it on Hard difficulty. But I still got an S rank at the end because I got a no kill bonus. Thought the game glitched for some reason but it turns out I did not kill the soldier (only cut a limb or two) and he disappeared once the mastiffs spawned (something that happens frequently throughout the game).

how much points does it give you?

gdt

Ok wow, the final boss wtf. Any tips? I'm starting the fight out of health packs.

The senator fire part....after I get the new sword

I'm very glad to see Platinum Games doing well. The new VR missions look great and should add some variety. I wouldn't mind different mission conditions like Bayonetta's Alfheims in future VR missions.

Leunam

Made it past Sundowner yesterday without upgrading my sword at all. Completely forgot about it despite buying other upgrades. Whoever said that each boss trains you for different mechanics was right on the money.

mattp

Ok wow, the final boss wtf. Any tips? I'm starting the fight out of health packs.

gotta survive til he throws the big rocks at you(i think when hes around 150% health), you can cut them for health packs
...it's tough haha

It's not so much that his "jack" voice is so bad, it's that it goes on and off at random times. It's like they wanted to incorporate his split personality into the story, but it's never clearly defined, and it just seems like his VA was recorded at different times with no meaning behind why the tone just changes in the middle of cutscenes.

Really poor job.

I just assume he still only lets his Ripper persona show when he feels it necessary. The Codec conversations are unavoidable, since some directly deal with the Ripper persona, while others are repeats of old conversations that would make no sense to Ripper-ify.

use the X + square (dodge sidestep slash) at the last second when
he tries to grab you
or you need some distance when fighting up close

Saved my butt plenty of times because of the invincible frames

Was in the same situation you were in, but I was on hard mode for my first play through. Absolutely brutal.

You may just need to sleep it off and tackle it another time.

ultron87

Directly talking about all the crazy shit that happened in MGS2 in the codecs makes me really happy. I feel like a lot of it was just glossed over in 4.

jett

D-Member

Thread should be renamed to Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| Motherfucking dodge, son!

duckroll

Thread should be renamed to Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| Motherfucking dodge, son!

Lol. I don't think I used a single parry on the final boss fight. It was just madness. I would either ninja run the fuck away, or use the dodge over and over. Awesome fight. The blade mode stuff was great too, because it really forces you to appreciate the finer parts of the system. I think the biggest hurdle is the fear that unless you cut perfectly, you might fail. That usually makes it more likely to fuck it up. The actual requirement is pretty lenient, so it's really about just lining it up in the right angle and just letting go without worrying about aligning it perfectly.

Endo Punk

The side dodge move was so hard to do in the demo but it's much easier in the game. So much so that Im dodging more and parrying less and I love how the parry is done. But that dodge offset and combo flow feels so good.

Fabrik

Banned
The blade mode stuff was great too, because it really forces you to appreciate the finer parts of the system. I think the biggest hurdle is the fear that unless you cut perfectly, you might fail. That usually makes it more likely to fuck it up. The actual requirement is pretty lenient, so it's really about just lining it up in the right angle and just letting go without worrying about aligning it perfectly.

Yep it's actually pretty forgiving. You don't have to align the line over all 4 squares exactly.

The side dodge move was so hard to do in the demo but it's much easier in the game. So much so that Im dodging more and parrying less and I love how the parry is done. But that dodge offset and combo flow feels so good.

I noticed a difference too. It seems easier to pull off in the retail release

duckroll

I've got the dodge down...but it doesn't seem to be useful against the
fire.

Okay, here's the trick I've learned from retrying like 385732543 times on the boss just 2 hours ago.

He has 4 types of "fire" attacks.

- There is the one where his fist is on fire and he pounds it into the ground to create fire shockwaves in a line in front of him and to his sides. To evade this one simply wait for it to strike and move to the right normally. You don't even have to use ninja run or dodge. He will either use this move once or twice. You'll be able to tell immediately if he's going to do it again, so just evade it again normally, and then move in to attack.

- Another fire move is when he strikes the ground and creates a bunch of lines. Simply move to the emptiest area without lines and wait for him to blow it all up before charging in to attack him.

- He also has a shockwave move which blows up the area around him. This one has an animation where he is raising his arms and chest and charging yellow. To avoid this just run the fuck AWAY from him. Either using ninja run or using the dodge backwards twice or three times quickly. After the explosion charge in to damage him.

- The most annoying move is the one where he creates a homing fire wave which also creates a wall of fire. For this one just ninja run the fuck away when its homing at you, and when it's over stay the fuck away from the wall of fire until it subsides. You can still attack him if you lure him towards you, but it's usually not safe to fight him when he's near the wall of flames.

Vodh

How is it even a problem?
Just ninja run out of the way when he does the lava wave ground split thing, and ninja run to a spot in between the cracks so that the fire doesn't touch you.
I thought that was the easy part of the fight honestly...

Interesting tidbit from the guide:

I distinctly remember one battle in in R-04 during an elevator ride with one armored soldier, multiple flying things and 2 or 3 mastiffs. I sucked a whole lot on that fight and it took me like 30 minutes to get past it on Hard difficulty. But I still got an S rank at the end because I got a no kill bonus. Thought the game glitched for some reason but it turns out I did not kill the soldier (only cut a limb or two) and he disappeared once the mastiffs spawned (something that happens frequently throughout the game).

This just helped me get past that fight with an A rank. Thanks! :D

deim0s

- The most annoying move is the one where he creates a homing fire wave which also creates a wall of fire. For this one just ninja run the fuck away when its homing at you, and when it's over stay the fuck away from the wall of fire until it subsides. You can still attack him if you lure him towards you, but it's usually not safe to fight him when he's near the wall of flames.

When he does this... try to run quickly to his back. Larger area and a lot of sword swings too.

Ephemeris

Loved the game.

That last boss though
JfuO7gr.gif

Flo_Evans

I think my favorite line in the game, in terms of delivery, is Monsoon's softly-spoken "You've lost your mind."

I like how you are acting all badass, JACK IS BACK RIPPER MODE YEAH, then monsoon kicks the shit out of you. :p

Once I actually figured out the parry and dodge system (and was all hulked out from my 1st play through) he was cake but sheesh that 1st time was rough.

basically this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QH0twvyfM4 (spoilers obviously (of how not to play) lol)

jett

D-Member
WHERE YOU AT VR MISSION 19, FUCK OFF!

Only the bullshit grenade and rocket missions remain. ;_;

I've got the dodge down...but it doesn't seem to be useful against the
fire.

The dodge grants you invincibility frames. Time it right and Raiden will dodge through the fire without any harm done to him.

duckroll said:
Lol. I don't think I used a single parry on the final boss fight. It was just madness. I would either ninja run the fuck away, or use the dodge over and over. Awesome fight. The blade mode stuff was great too, because it really forces you to appreciate the finer parts of the system. I think the biggest hurdle is the fear that unless you cut perfectly, you might fail. That usually makes it more likely to fuck it up. The actual requirement is pretty lenient, so it's really about just lining it up in the right angle and just letting go without worrying about aligning it perfectly.

Frankly unless you need the nanopaste it's in your best interest to just slide down the boulders. :p

My two favourite quotes are both from
Armstrong:

"Ashes to ashes, motherf*cker!" (upon firing EXCELSUS' lasers)

"You know what? F*ck this war. I want you dead." (after successfully cutting up the boulders he tosses)

Andrew.

Banned
Man, my buddy sent me a YT link to the final boss music.

Really good stuff. At first the drum beat drew me in, but as soon as I heard those vocals. BOOM! greatness!

Now I wish I could be better at the game so I could reach that battle.

Viewtify

Banned
I've had no problem doing a No Damage S rank run on Revengeance difficulty until R04. The part where you are waiting for the elevator shooting rockets is frustrating as fuck.

ultron87

It's pretty crazy that you have to buy dodge, then they really don't even tell you how to use it :p

It tells you how to do all the moves in the help menu.

Honestly having a character action game in 2013 that doesn't both have the button combos for unlockable moves listed on the unlock screen and a "try the move out before you buy" mode is kind of inexcusable. They can even contextualize it in the game as VR. Unless they are there somewhere and I'm missing it.

Mr. RHC

I love it, because there's a hint of uncertainty in Monsoon in that moment that you never quite pick up on in the others.

Yes, something like
"Damn, this guy is more fucked up than we."

I think Sam also had a very subtle "this guy.. this guy" facial expression, very subtle though.

Defunkled

WHERE YOU AT VR MISSION 19, FUCK OFF!

The only reason I finished this mission is because I banged my head against it for 3 straight hours and told myself I would not leave my chair until it was done. Haven't been that pissed off at a game in a LONG time.

duckroll

Honestly having a character action game in 2013 that doesn't both have the button combos for unlockable moves listed on the unlock screen and a "try the move out before you buy" mode is kind of inexcusable. They can even contextualize it in the game as VR.

Even without try before you buy or the move instructions on the buy screen, I feel that the least they could do is have a thumbnail video of how the move actually works. Instead the static image thumbnails on the moves really don't tell you much at all, and the text descriptions are not helpful at all.

I'll hopefully get to play this soon.

I have a key for the white outfit from best buy and a code for the GameStop pre order bonuses (grey fox and sword) for sale or trade if anybody is interested. Xbox360, btw

ViviOggi

When he does this... try to run quickly to his back. Larger area and a lot of sword swings too.

This,
you should Ninja run to the side passing two waves of fire to have more space available. Otherwise you'll have problems dodging his following attacks without being forced into the pillars.

Flo_Evans

Honestly having a character action game in 2013 that doesn't both have the button combos for unlockable moves listed on the unlock screen and a "try the move out before you buy" mode is kind of inexcusable. They can even contextualize it in the game as VR. Unless they are there somewhere and I'm missing it.

:eek:

I never actually looked at the help menu, I always use the codec when I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do :p

ultron87

:eek:

I never actually looked at the help menu, I always use the codec when I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do :p

I instantly got way better at the game when I looked at that menu and realized there were a ton of combos and existing moves I wasn't doing.

Rocket786

So what is the best way to avoid attacks such as holds in this game? I get the parry, but when I'm surrounded by enemies, there isn't much I can do to avoid being picked up and tossed around like a doll.

I'm just in the second chapter in the sewers. I just got the box for the first time, and proceeded to the following tunnel with those 3 crazy cyborgs proceeding to kick my ass for a good 30 minutes, before I somehow parried most of their attacks and beat them without using a recovery nanopaste item. With them attacking from off screen and holding me every chance they got, it was a little frustrating. Any tips for encounters like these (which I'm sure will be plenty more as I get further)? The camera wasn't helping much either...

Flo_Evans

So what is the best way to avoid attacks such as holds in this game? I get the parry, but when I'm surrounded by enemies, there isn't much I can do to avoid being picked up and tossed around like a doll.

I'm just in the second chapter in the sewers. I just got the box for the first time, and proceeded to the following tunnel with those 3 crazy cyborgs proceeding to kick my ass for a good 30 minutes, before I somehow parried most of their attacks and beat them without using a recovery nanopaste item. With them attacking from off screen and holding me every chance they got, it was a little frustrating. Any tips for encounters like these (which I'm sure will be plenty more as I get further)? The camera wasn't helping much either...

You are supposed to use stealth and ninja kill those dudes.

Top Bottom