• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance |OT| A Blade Forged In Platinum [LAW OF THE WILD]

mattp

Even without try before you buy or the move instructions on the buy screen, I feel that the least they could do is have a thumbnail video of how the move actually works. Instead the static image thumbnails on the moves really don't tell you much at all, and the text descriptions are not helpful at all.

i'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and say "fluff" like this was left out because of the crazy schedule they had to get this game done on
the game is super bare bones for a reason. no nice extra features at all. all the work went into the core game.
considering what we got i'll take what we got over maybe less refine gameplay but some nice extra stuff like that

i'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and say "fluff" like this was left out because of the crazy schedule they had to get this game done on
the game is super bare bones for a reason. no nice extra features at all. all the work went into the core game.
considering what we got i'll take what we got over maybe less refine gameplay but some nice extra stuff like that

This. Though I believe this game has tons of extras and re-playability. So many unlockables and secrets.

Lunar15

I just assume he still only lets his Ripper persona show when he feels it necessary. The Codec conversations are unavoidable, since some directly deal with the Ripper persona, while others are repeats of old conversations that would make no sense to Ripper-ify.

Yeah, but even in regular, cutscene dialogue he switches between it with absolutely no rhyme or reason as to why he's doing it. The game doesn't even acknowledge it. It's just, sometimes he sounds normal, sometimes he doesn't.

Hystzen

So what is the best way to avoid attacks such as holds in this game? I get the parry, but when I'm surrounded by enemies, there isn't much I can do to avoid being picked up and tossed around like a doll.

I'm just in the second chapter in the sewers. I just got the box for the first time, and proceeded to the following tunnel with those 3 crazy cyborgs proceeding to kick my ass for a good 30 minutes, before I somehow parried most of their attacks and beat them without using a recovery nanopaste item. With them attacking from off screen and holding me every chance they got, it was a little frustrating. Any tips for encounters like these (which I'm sure will be plenty more as I get further)? The camera wasn't helping much either...

Mastiffs are most irritating enemy which shows the issues with camera and analoge wagging. Use AR to watch the ai walking route, one will walk straight to you stab him then use catwalks to pick off other two. I put a lot hours into this game and I still get annoyed when fighting 2 or more of them.

jett

D-Member
Soooooo what's the deal with the tripod guys who hide through the levels?

Trophy. You must kill them all in a single, consecutive playthrough.

The only reason I finished this mission is because I banged my head against it for 3 straight hours and told myself I would not leave my chair until it was done. Haven't been that pissed off at a game in a LONG time.

I can't remember the last time I cursed like this at a game. I can't remember ever feeling this way while playing a video game.

JP Kellams get up in this bitch tell me why IN THE BLUE FUCK would I pay to subject myself to more of this?

ultron87

The unlockable menu is just soooo bad that I can't really even accept the "they didn't have time" excuse. Not telling people how to do the incredibly necessary dodge they just bought is actively making the game less enjoyable for people who don't figure it out.

I would've thought there'd be a good try it out mode since it loads you into a separate screen for unlockables for some reason.

jett

D-Member
The unlockable menu is just soooo bad that I can't really even accept the "they didn't have time" excuse. Not telling people how to do the incredibly necessary dodge they just bought is actively making the game less enjoyable for people who don't figure it out.

I would've thought there'd be a good try it out mode since it loads you into a separate screen for unlockables for some reason.

I agree that the customize menu should tell you how to execute those moves. It just...makes sense.

duckroll

Jett is starting to sound more and more like Cyborg Ninja in MGS1 now. Lol.

"YES! THIS IS THE PAIN I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR!!!" Lulz.

Sephzilla

Yeah, the unlockables menu should at the very least tell you the input for the move or show the move in action.

Heck, at the absolute least it should say "Hey, go to the help menu and look up the move"

Tizzzzz

Neo Member
I finished this on the normal difficulty; definitely enjoyed my time with the game but the camera really got to me sometimes. I might have been more compelled to play through some more on higher difficulties and unlock all the upgrades, look for secrets, etc. but I think the camera did a pretty good job of discouraging me from doing that for now. Maybe I'll pick the game up later on the cheap. I really enjoy the parry and blade systems though, and even though I was completely unaware of there being a list of combos in the menus I still had a great deal of fun switching up my attacks, even if I didn't know specifically how I was executing them. It could have been nice to know how to dodge, I did it by accident a few times in the final fight and thought it was just a last fight thing because I had forgotten I bought dodge in the first place. I certainly figured out how to beat the boss without it, just it could have been helpful early on when I was still getting my footing with figuring out when I had openings to attack. Some emphasis on going to a list of moves at least would have been nice. :\

Unfortunately by virtue of getting it through GameFly I sent it off since I'd rather get new titles but definitely a cool game, even for someone like me who doesn't have a huge investment in the Metal Gear franchise [was renting it specifically because I really enjoy Platinum].

koryuken

Is the dodge basically a backstep with a slash? Or is there another dodge that I am not using?

PS. The Sai's make the 1 vs many combat a lot easier. I'm glad that I tried using these... instant stun on any enemy is godlike. I recommend everyone try these at least once.

MechaX

Huh... Sundowner was... huh.

I felt Platinum might have made a wrong move by having a bit too much of the fight revolve around his shield gimmick. I didn't know you could just go up and slice the glowing lights, and then slice them off; I thought you had to wait until he charged, parry it, and then slice the shields off. But by the time the fight really gets started, the player already has his number.

Still having fun though.

Did two no damage runs against two bosses. The last two in particular.

Armstrong
was much easier to deal with than Sam since he practically begs to be aggressively rushed. Not to mention being able to cut rocks made things much easier to chip down his health since he's vulnerable
when he's regenerating, so you can knock him out and go wild
. Still had to retry, but he was pretty damn easy.

HYDE

Banned
Man, my buddy sent me a YT link to the final boss music.

Really good stuff. At first the drum beat drew me in, but as soon as I heard those vocals. BOOM! greatness!

Now I wish I could be better at the game so I could reach that battle.

tbh you might not even notice the music, but just how much you're getting your ass kicked.

duckroll

Is the dodge basically a backstep with a slash? Or is there another dodge that I am not using?

PS. The Sai's make the 1 vs many combat a lot easier. I'm glad that I tried using these... instant stun on any enemy is godlike. I recommend everyone try these at least once.

It's not a backstep. It's an anystep. Depending on the direction to move while dodging, it can be a backstep slash or a sidestep slash (in either direction).

Huh... Sundowner was... huh.

I felt Platinum might have made a wrong move by having a bit too much of the fight revolve around his shield gimmick. I didn't know you could just go up and slice the glowing lights, and then slice them off; I thought you had to wait until he charged, parry it, and then slice the shields off. But by the time the fight really gets started, the player already has his number.

Still having fun though.

The real problem is that you can just totally ignore the shield altogether, and run around to slash his back.

Radec

Wow, fucking senator.
When in blade mode, 1 miss and its all over. Getting caught out everytime.

Fucking stupid design.

Oh man, the VR mission with
all the super tough enemies assisted by swarms of Dwarf Geckos?
Super fucking awesome. I hadn't managed to get past the first wave
Black Gekko
before, so when I did I had no idea what to expect. Imagine my surprise when the next thing drops out the sky, I perfect parry it instinctively and zandatsu that motherfucker in one clean movement.

Holy shit I love this game.

noffles

Banned
Wow, fucking senator.
When in blade mode, 1 miss and its all over. Getting caught out everytime.

Fucking stupid design.

Aim your swipe, press X. It perfectly follows your swing.

Stop bitching over failure to understand the game pls.

I just no damaged the final boss on hard, but didn't get the achievement. Someone please tell me I don't have to no damage every part of the fight.

Please.

Dawg

I'm at R03 (Normal) now and I still have to learn how to parry enemies and finish a fight without getting damage.

Normal human cyborgs -> no problem. I ninja run in + slide triangle and finish them off with zandatsu.

The bigger enemies are my true problem. It's like that mini boss in R02, the GRAD or something. Robots like that, I have no idea what their weak spot is. They fire rockets from everywhere and I can't parry their attacks.

It's the same with gecko's. I can only block their leg attacks, parry seems impossible. Only when they run at me, I'm lucky when I react fast enough and trigger a QTE.

Same with the first true boss (the girl). She pretty much destroyed me and I had to use three "potions" through the fight.

Neiteio

Since they have three DLC packs coming (30 VR missions, Sam's story and Wolf's story), maybe if the sales and demand are there they will release a GOTY version for PC and WiiU that has the main game and all of the DLC from the start (including Gray Fox/FOX Blade, etc).

On a side note, I find myself revisiting the Ray battle. It's perfect spectacle, not just the bits where the vocals kick in, but the sheer scenario of Raiden chasing this towering behemoth up and down the street.

Radec

Some tips.

• Use both analogs to aim.
  • Don't swing the right analog, just pull and release for it to cut.

Thanks, but already beat him earlier.

Theres just too many unnecessary deaths over that part. Thank god there's nanopaste since the last time ive failed on that part was with him only at 2.5% health. I almost throw my controller lol.

Senator was even worse than Lazarevic from UC2.

ViviOggi

Thanks, but already beat him earlier.

Theres just too many unnecessary deaths over that part.

Senator was even worse than Lazarevic from UC2.

Your deaths solely depend on how long you take to figure out his moves. It's a noticeable spike in difficulty if you're coming from Normal or Hard, but there's nothing cheap about the boss.

Zen

Banned
Loved the game.

That last boss though
JfuO7gr.gif

Last boss was one of the best bosses in the game.

Top Bottom